ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Well, Well and EWG - A Disgrace to Bootlegs! Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-30-03 04:49 AM
gotdablouse Finally got to spend some time with Four Flicks and others than vomitting after listening to Chuckster's classless high-in-the-mix plink-plonking on the keys on JJF at MSG, I'm in utter disbelief at the inclusion at the inclusion of Well, Well and Extreme Western Grip on there!

I pride myself in being one of the more maniac collector's of studio bootlegs out there (check my site http://juiced.hypemart.net) and I think these two "cuts" would not have been deemed good enough for inclusion by any of the much-maligned bootleg "producers"...I'd rate the interest of the material (sound is good obviously) on offer even lower thant the nadir of Stones Bootlegs, the the "Redlans 1968 Sessions" where some journalist had taped a half-interview, half-jam session.

I'm half wondering if this isn't some kind of inside joke or a way of scaring people away from bootlegs ;-)
11-30-03 07:52 AM
Honky Tonk Man YOU ARE BEING RIDICULOUS!

I must admit that i don't really understand the inclusion of "Extreme Western Grip" and "Well Well Well", but they are just jams. Very jazzy jams, but i think they are just messing about with a new sound. I don't think they would ever do an album of loose spacey jazz type songs, but they are interesting.

Alex
11-30-03 09:21 AM
BILL PERKS YOU'RE NOT ONLY BEING RIDICULOUS,YOU'RE AN IDIOT!I HAVE OUTTAKE AND STUDIO SESSION BOOTS THAT DO NOT COME CLOSE TO WELL AND EWG IN QUALITY OR IN THE BANDS PLAY..THEY ARE JUST THROWING AN EXTRA IN THAT MORONS LIKE YOU CAN'T APPRECIATE.
11-30-03 09:49 AM
gotdablouse I can see that we have some experts here and what's up with your caps lock dude ?!
My point is that these two "tracks" would have been deemed unworthy for inclusion by the much-maligned bootleggers.
11-30-03 11:42 AM
Sir Stonesalot Really??

I think both those jams would be right at home on Voodoo Brew, Voodoo Stew, or Voodoo Residue.

While I agree that the music isn't really all that spectacular, what is great about it is that it is a very real glimpse of the Stones in the studio. It's cool to see them in the studio fuckin' around and having fun. You know, like an actual band. There's not a lot of that type of footage available...and when you get it in this kind of quality...it's fantastic.

I guess people are mad that these aren't new "songs". Whatever. I'd rather they keep the new "songs" for a new "album" anyway.
11-30-03 08:17 PM
Stonesthrow I loved Extreme Western Grip and would like to see it on a studio cd. If not, then that, by itself, is reason enough to get the Flicks.

[Edited by Stonesthrow]
11-30-03 08:21 PM
Monkey Woman And it's a joy to watch them in the studio, working together, evolving a song. Riveting stuff! See how Charlie lets the emotion flow while he's playing (on stage, he's more serious, concentrated on his task, hence the "stone face" impression).
12-01-03 10:02 AM
jb I didn't enjoy it either...very boring.
12-01-03 10:08 AM
Jumacfly Agree Jb...like 95 % of your posts!!! sorry it s monday..
12-01-03 10:27 AM
T&A 95%? I must be missing the other 5%...I'll look harder.
12-01-03 10:43 AM
jb
12-01-03 11:10 AM
Jumacfly JB!! just a fu..ing joke!!!!
12-01-03 11:15 AM
jb
12-01-03 11:17 AM
Sir Stonesalot Did you just say that jb was a fucking joke?

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
12-01-03 12:56 PM
glencar Well, well, well he is...
12-01-03 01:54 PM
Mikey I love the footage of EWG and WWW! Forchrisssakes, if you are commenting on the quality of the music without taking into account the fact that you are seeing the Stones jamming around in a studio, then you are missing the entire point. The look on Charlie's face during EWG is priceless.

Yes, Claudine and/or The Storm are better outtakes that never made it on to any official album, but look past that.
12-01-03 02:05 PM
Monkey Woman Actually, The Storm was released officially as b-side of the single Love Is Strong (1994). I think it's the same version on the bootleg Stripped Companion. Do you mean there is a better outtake version?
12-01-03 02:05 PM
glencar The Storm sucks but I like the rest of it.
12-01-03 02:14 PM
Mikey MW - I wrote that both songs never made it on to any official album, not counting any single releases.

hahaha - you can always count on a RO member to point out any post deficiencies, thank you!

12-01-03 02:29 PM
T&A there's an 8 or 9-minute version of the Storm out there - what was that on, Voodoo Brew?
12-01-03 02:54 PM
Factory Girl don't mention "Storm" to glencar.
12-01-03 03:28 PM
Joey " Actually, The Storm was released officially as b-side of the single Love Is Strong ............................."

Stormy ?!?!?!

STORMY ?!?!?!?!

Is that really you ?!?!?!?!

Man , one thing about that guy , he really knew how to write a post and MAN was he Minty Fresh !

Jacky Blue !

12-02-03 12:10 AM
glencar Damn you, Joseph!
12-09-03 04:06 PM
Moonisup I still don't understand why other 'older' artists still can play a great guitar on an older age, people like Buddy Guy, and Muddy Waters and keith and ron look like (at least at some concerts) that they have completely lost their touch, is it just the booze and drugs?

rik
12-09-03 04:14 PM
jb Indeed Rik....it is truly sad how rapidly they declined the past few years..I think it's a combination of drugs and laziness...
12-09-03 04:42 PM
Joey " Indeed Rik....it is truly sad how rapidly they declined the past few years..I think it's a combination of drugs and laziness... "

Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!

Jacky !

12-09-03 04:43 PM
Moonisup yes Joey, WHY??

I don't know
12-09-03 04:56 PM
Joey

Rik ....................how is Chuck doing ?!?!?!

Don't you wish the Stones would tour again in 2004 ?

I know I do !

J.
12-09-03 04:58 PM
gotdablouse Having collected about every other available (not counting SW sessions reserved to some "elite"...) unreleased track out there, I stand by my comment that WW and EWG are pretty worthless. Just name me one track on a bootleg that's less interesting.

If you want to see the Stones doing something interesting in the studio look at the 25x5 snippets of the Mixed Emotions recording sessions. Even better (no picture though), listen to the jaw dropping "Voodoo Residue" stuff.

I agree with the point about Keith and Ron having lost most of their playing abilities, it's particularly obvious on these dreary tracks.. In Ronnie's case, I'd date that to about 1985/89 after his "freebasing" period, for Keith it's more recent, maybe 1995.
12-09-03 05:01 PM
Moonisup Chuck and his wife Rose are busy with trees, in a way the are chuck and his trees the same as Chuck and his stones. Chuck know where and when his trees are falling, and the same thing he does with the stones on piano, he knows where the gaps are, and fills them! PLING PLONG

well all these rumours! they are gonna tour, if all goes well, in 2005! I hope smaller venues,
Page: 1 2