ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Memorial in London
Thanks Ruby Tuesday

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 12/2/03 Header ===> Melbourne 1973 Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-02-03 09:49 AM
parmeda "Somewhere down under" that shash is where I wanna be!

Damn...
12-02-03 09:58 AM
Monkey Woman Oh yeah! And this pic definitely belong in the Superblow thread!
12-02-03 10:06 AM
parmeda I got so excited, I spelled "sash" wrong!!!!

See what that guy does to me! LOL!
12-02-03 11:43 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL Parmeda, I know you want to be down under that guy giving him a head or something else but of course I meant that we are not sure where it was taken but it's from the shows in Australia back in February 1973 not sure if it can even be from NZ

Does any of the experts or the Aussies know where it comes from?

12-02-03 11:45 AM
glencar Is Keith wearing eyeliner?
12-02-03 12:30 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i think it's from a promo thing for "fool to cry".

keith always wears eyeliner!!
12-02-03 12:32 PM
glencar Fool To Cry was done indoors.
12-02-03 12:35 PM
LadyJane Oh yeah...Oh yeah....Oh yeah...Oh yeah

LJ.
12-02-03 12:36 PM
SHINE A LIGHT yes indeed, but look at the sleeve for the single...jagger is wearing the very same bracelets and the outfit is exactly the same....maybe it was a shoot from the sleeve?
12-02-03 01:52 PM
stoneslib I don't "know" Aussie 73 tour shots like I do STP 1972 images, but this color one bears resemblances (blue strap jumpsuit, glitter armbands, small cross necklace) to a verified Melbourne Kooyong concert pic, here:

This b/w image comes from a glorious poster hanging in the Melbourne Hard Rock Cafe.

H

[Edited by stoneslib]
12-02-03 03:53 PM
parmeda OMG....

first the crotch, now the tongue!
You guys are killin' me today
12-02-03 04:10 PM
LadyJane Okay..these are going into Superblow RIGHT NOW!!!

LJ.
12-02-03 05:06 PM
Cardinal Fang Keith playing the white Gibson SG guitar IS FROM the 1973 tour.

The Mick "blue one piece jumpsuit" is from the 72-73 tour.

I hope this helps ?

How did I "know" Pam would dig this one !! lol

Later, Jimmy
12-02-03 07:52 PM
beardedhag I think the pic is of them playing Midnight Rambler since Mick is holding the studded belt that he used to whip the stage during that song, and you can make out a capo on the 7th fret of Keith's guitar.
12-03-03 09:04 AM
parmeda Cardinal...you "know" it!
12-03-03 09:14 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now I'm pretty sure now after checking it against other pics and a Melb press review that it is Melbourne. Auckland NZ had the white strap suit.

...and you know why I'm pretty sgure? Because the very same words were sent to me by Harold ala Stoneslib who sent the pic for the header.
12-03-03 09:18 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Melbourne, Australia - February 17 or 18, 1973
Thanks again Stoneslib
12-03-03 10:39 AM
Mathijs In Auckland Jagger was NOT wearing the white strap suit, he was wearing the same suit as on this picture! However, Keith was dressed differenly in NZ. I'll sent some pic's to Voodoochile, maybe he can post them.

Mathijs
12-03-03 01:23 PM
stoneslib Mathijs is correct - Auckland *was* a blue strap show. I should have relied on pics rather than memory. (This error is what happens when I venture outside of confident 1972 territory.)

Here are confirmed Down Under 1973 pics.

Auckland

Melbourne (Saturday, February 17, an afternoon show)

Harold

[Edited by stoneslib]
12-03-03 06:31 PM
corgi37 Yay, Melbourne, my home town wins!! Fucking excellant. I was 9 at the time, and more into GI Joe, Action Man & Big Jim (remember Big Jim, Big Josh and the Big Jim Camper van? - sounds all so terribly gay, eh?). That Melbourne show was in the middle of the day. In summer. Temp: approx 41 celcius (over 100f). My older sister and her hubby went. Well, she 1/2 went. She was sick, and left. Can you believe that! If i was bleeding from my eyes, ears, ass, knob i would not leave until the final bow. Weak bitch. The only footage i have of this show is in b/w. Its sort of a composite of stills and live action with Brown Sugar played over it. Charlie has a huge umbrella over him and that cool fat black guy is happily clapping away next to him. Channel 2 here in Oz had a Stones special on "RAGE" about 4 years ago. WEnt for about 5 hours. All their clips, all Jaggers, all Keiths, all Bills and a long forgotten 1/2 doco on the 73 tour. I had never seen it. Fascintating stuff. Includes the hilarious footage of Melbourne newsreader David Johnstone (he's still going too) asking the band who brought some "pot" into the country. Jagger fires up and is devastating. His look could burn glass. Footage from this doco is in 25 x 5. The footage is Keith talking about Brian and how some cats just dont make 60, ever.
12-04-03 08:21 AM
Mathijs so, judging from Keith's clothes, the header pic most likely is from the 17th!

Mathijs
12-04-03 08:25 AM
Monkey Woman Cool story, corgi!
12-04-03 08:55 AM
Mathijs Btw, the jumpsuis Jagger wore in Australia are differen to the ones he wore on the 1972 tour.

Mathijs
12-04-03 10:59 AM
stoneslib Yes, the 1972 jumpsuits are different, with one exception.
At the 1st MSG show in 1972 Jagger wore for the only time
on that tour a white strap jumpsuit just like the blue one
seen above in Melbourne.

See here:

http://stoneslib9.homestead.com/files/mjmsg1.jpg

Harold

[Edited by stoneslib]
12-04-03 01:23 PM
stoneslib Make that two exceptions. In Brisbane 1973 Jagger wore the purple jumpsuit seen frequently in USA 1972.

Brisbane pic:

H

[Edited by stoneslib]
12-04-03 05:21 PM
stonedinaustralia further to corgi's post i recall that press conference

as you may know the tour almost didn't happen 'cos the authorities didn't want keith here because of his drug record

at the conference keith is obviously "out of it" and goes on to say , quite reasonably, that he couldn't see what the fuss was all about

"we're just musicians" he said - not revolutionaries coming down here to overthrow governments or anything... all said in that same stoned drawl the he speaks in in that i/view in 25x5 that corgi mentioned - that thin croaky "i'm high on narcotics" voice
12-04-03 07:17 PM
stonedinaustralia btw stoneslib - thanx for posting those shots

do you have any of Adelaide '73

cheers
12-04-03 07:23 PM
fmk438j The press conference is on a boot too 'the riot show and more' I think it's called.
12-05-03 01:32 AM
beer and by the looks of it, keith played the white SG on more songs than just Midnight Rambler, considering the 2nd pic stonelib posted there is no capo'd 7th fret. it was discussed here earlier that keef ONLY played it on MR.

though the original header was certainly midnight rambler.

blahhhhhhhhhhh
12-05-03 08:07 AM
Stonefarker My guess is that it is either Melbourne 17/02/1973 SECOND SHOW, or 18/02/1973. There were 2 shows in Melbourne on the 17th - here's a pic taken from the 1st show....Notice the time of day - it was very hot during the first show which was played fairly early .....

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UIHQP97cCO1xZAlckJJJEuZB9t_AkmRNHoONx90HFAAjkz9uSO-7H0eI2l0oMLJ87FOWa-XZr_peIVbtF5OsXvSWG0VFMs34KQ/06edit1.jpg

Stonefarker
Page: 1 2