ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Memorial in London
Thanks Ruby Tuesday

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick to be knighted on Dec. 10 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-29-03 10:41 AM
Monkey Woman Jagger and Jonny gongs
By PAUL THOMPSON

ROCKER Mick Jagger and England rugby hero Jonny Wilkinson will share the spotlight at a gong show.

The Rolling Stones legend, who will be knighted, could even find himself upstaged by sport�s man of the moment.

Wilkinson, 24, will be at Buckingham Palace on the same day to receive an MBE.

He is the first member of the victorious rugby squad to get a gong � though his was announced months before his dramatic drop-kick won the World Cup last Saturday.

Palace officials expect a media scrum as the pair arrive for the ceremony on December 10 � two days after the Queen hosts a victory reception for the rugby heroes.

A Palace source said: �David Beckham receiving the OBE generated a lot of interest. We expect this will be bigger.�

Mick, 60, was knighted in the Queen�s Birthday Honours List almost 18 months ago for services to music.

But it was delayed due to his touring commitments.

Goldenboots Jonny is being honoured for services to sport. The Sun has led calls for him to be knighted.
11-30-03 05:31 PM
SHINE A LIGHT oh dear, i mean oh sir. it's kinda cool to be able to tell the queen that you're too busy to get knighted,please knight me later!!!!
11-30-03 05:32 PM
Angiegirl It would really be kinda cool to just say no.
11-30-03 05:57 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Maybe he just won't show up. But I've got a feeling he will. Even though I'd laugh if he didn't.
11-30-03 06:43 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i don't want him to show up, but i'm afraid he will.
11-30-03 07:43 PM
Monkey Woman It's funny how this knighting arouses controversy. The rock'n'rollers thinks it's a disgrace to the Stones, but some conservatives argue that it's a disgrace to the monarchy! A unrepentent hedonist, ex-druggie, tax evader, serial adulterer, awarded the same distinction as that nice man Paul McCartney? The horror!
11-30-03 07:47 PM
J.J.Flash KEITH-O-SAPIENS said once: "What a paltry honour"
11-30-03 07:51 PM
Monkey Woman Amen, Keithfucius!
11-30-03 07:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
..... a disgrace to the monarchy! A unrepentent hedonist, ex-druggie, tax evader, serial adulterer, awarded the same distinction as that nice man Paul McCartney?

Yeah... but alot of monarchs were serial aduterers too weren't they? I think the Monarchy will survive a Jagger knighthood. (If he shows up.)
11-30-03 10:40 PM
glencar Tis indeed a paltry honor.
12-01-03 03:46 AM
Hannalee Paltry honour my arse. Do you lot think Keith would have been any happier if Mick had been granted a peerage?
12-01-03 09:15 AM
Joey

And I say , " God Bless Him !!!!!! "

What ?!?!?! Oh , sure :

www.zairgit.com/filez/parishilton.wmv

Jacky !
12-01-03 12:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Hannalee wrote:
Paltry honour my arse. Do you lot think Keith would have been any happier if Mick had been granted a peerage?

A peerage? What exactly is that? I assume be the statement here that it's one or two notches higher than a Knight.
(anyway I hope Jagger doesnt show...but whatever.)

12-01-03 12:53 PM
glencar I think a peerage makes him a Lord. A knighthood makes him a sir. No matter, it's all paltry pageantry from a country that's best days are long ago.
12-01-03 12:55 PM
LadyJane Paltry or not...if it's good enough to bestow on Elton and Macca...it's DAMN good enough to bestow on Mick!!

LJ.
12-01-03 12:57 PM
glencar But those guys are kings! Mick's a streetfighting MAN!
12-01-03 11:20 PM
Stonesdoug Mick has received an ok to move his knighting back to December 12 so as not to be in the background of all the rugby enthusiasts
12-02-03 12:01 AM
glencar Hope it'll be on BBC America.
12-02-03 01:30 AM
prism Mick donates to many British charities, including a London orphanage. We only hear about the times he neglects to tip waiters and taxi drivers.
12-02-03 01:48 AM
glencar File under "Man bites dog".
12-02-03 01:43 PM
Sue MICK TAKES DAD TO PALACE
Sir Mick Jagger is to take his father to Buckingham Palace for his investiture.

The Rolling Stones star officially collects his knighthood on Friday, December 12, after months of uncertainty about when he was available.

He is said to be "delighted" that a date has now been fixed.

A spokesman said the singer's 90-year-old father Joe will be joining him for the big day.

Sir Mick's touring meant he found it difficult to find an appropriate date.

In the past 15 months the Stones played 114 shows across the world to 3.5 million people.

He had been pencilled in for December 10, the same date as Jonny Wilkinson, but did not want to distract attention away from the achievements of England's Rugby World Cup hero.

A spokesman for the rock legend said: "Mick...would like to express his gratitude to Buckingham Palace for their understanding of his other commitments over the last 18 months."
Last Updated: 14:28 UK, Tuesday December 02, 2003
12-02-03 01:46 PM
glencar Wonder if Mick & the queen will remininsce about princess Margaret?
12-02-03 04:52 PM
Gazza >I think a peerage makes him a Lord. A knighthood makes him a sir. No matter, it's all paltry pageantry from a country that's best days are long ago.

Touche...

yeah and your bitter and twisted opinion is worth a damn. No doubt if he'd been an American and been rewarded with some Congressional Medal or the Kennedy Centre award that Dylan got a few years ago, everyone would have said how wonderful it was.

He's been acknowledged by his own country for services to music (the first rock artists ever to be knighted for that - McCartney,Elton etc got theirs primarily for charity work). Obviously after 40 years he hasnt deserved that? Get real.

Keith's remarks are those of a bitter and twisted man obsessed with keeping up an image which the Stones havent lived up for many years. Hannalee is right about the likelihood of him being pleased if Mick had got a peerage. Although, thankfully he didnt. Being knighted gives the recipient no more privileges than any other citizen. All it is is an acknowledgement. He deserves it.

12-02-03 05:06 PM
Riffhard I somehow knew that a response from Gazza was forthcoming concerning that post by glencar. I fully agree with you Gary concerning Keith and his image saving remarks. Too true about the Dylan Kennedy award as well. Americans have a genuine love for England as we have such a strong intertwined history. When I go to Europe the two countries that I always have the best time in are England and Ireland. Most Brits and Irish are more friendly towards Americans from my experiences. France is always had a nose in the air attitude towards anyone not French. Italy is loaded with friendly folks as well. Having said that if you are French do not take offfense about my remarks. I'm only speaking about my personal experiences here and I have met many nice French people in my travels as well.

Riffhard
12-02-03 05:13 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
He's been acknowledged by his own country for services to music (the first rock artists ever to be knighted for that - McCartney,Elton etc got theirs primarily for charity work).

Very good point! It's an achievement in itself. And it's nice that his country recognize what he did in all these years and honors him so. Mick is frontman, co-composer and co-manager of the Stones, and it's thanks to him after all that this band survived the '70s. Not to mention what he does on his own, like donating funds to a music center in Dartford or helping other artists. Didn't he also suggest to Tony Blair's government, a few years ago, to do a Music Day celebration, something like the French F�te de la Musique?
12-02-03 05:17 PM
Gazza He did indeed, although it was actually during the period where we had a Conservative government under John Major (1992).

Mick got the idea from what was happening in France and suggested that we should have such a venture here. It actually was quite a success although the concept seems to have petered out in recent years...
12-02-03 05:20 PM
Joey " He did indeed, although it was actually during the period where we had a Conservative government under John Major (1992). "

If John Major can last seven full years as PM then Tony Blair is " Leader for Life " .

Word !

12-02-03 05:24 PM
Gazza I fucking hope not or we wont have a country left worthy of the name.....
12-02-03 05:26 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Mick got the idea from what was happening in France and suggested that we should have such a venture here. It actually was quite a success although the concept seems to have petered out in recent years...

Too bad. This is a very popular annual event, here. A little crazy, even, with free concerts, street musicians, all-night parties, etc.

BTW, I'm surprised that former minister of culture Jack Lang didn't take the time to award a medal of Knight of Arts and Letters to the Stones when he could. He gave one to everyone from Madonna to Sylvester Stallone, so what kept him?
12-02-03 05:38 PM
Gazza he gave one to Dylan as well! Dylan's acceptance speech in French was priceless!
Page: 1 2 3