ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Nagoya Dome, Japan - 5th april 2006
© Asahi with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nebraska to Hire Pelini Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st December 2007 09:46 PM
JohnDoey
quote:
poopooslug wrote:

The only reason Joey's afternoon shit is forgotten is because he quickly reminds us of his late afternoon shit, early evening shit, Brazen Head Shit, hangover shit, "Split Shit", etc.

1st December 2007 11:20 PM
Dino37
quote:
JohnDoey wrote:

Webster is a fatty!
2nd December 2007 12:22 AM
JohnDoey
quote:
Dino37 wrote:

Webster is a fatty!

Thia is why the Omaha summit is one for the ages

2nd December 2007 12:29 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
pdog wrote:

I just hate retards...

Yes, me too, and narrow-minded anti-hunting freaks.

2nd December 2007 12:32 PM
Barney Fife
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nebraska? They still polka there, no?

I sure hope so.

When I still lived in Lincoln in the early '80s, I used to listen to The Big Joe Polka Show on the radio Sunday afternoons.

2nd December 2007 12:34 PM
Dino37
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
I sure hope so.

When I still lived in Lincoln in the early '80s, I used to listen to The Big Joe Polka Show on the radio Sunday afternoons.

I hear Andy G. is in very poor health...
2nd December 2007 09:18 PM
Barney Fife From the Lincoln Journal-Star:

Pelini returns to NU as head coach
BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star
Sunday, Dec 02, 2007 - 07:27:27 pm CST

Tom Osborne joked that when he began to research possible football coaches, he found only one who was unbeaten over the past few years. LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, 1-0 as an interim head coach at Nebraska in 2003, was four years later introduced as Nebraska’s next coach.

The announcement came at a Sunday afternoon news conference at Memorial Stadium.

"I'm more prepared today than I was four years ago to be a head football coach," Pelini said in accepting the position that he first sought after Frank Solich was fired in 2003.

In addressing questions from the media, Pelini thanked Solich, said he looked forward to learning from interim AD and Husker coaching legend Tom Osborne, and added that he hopes the walk-on program can once again grow to strengthen Nebraska's program.

"It's a very big part of what Nebraska is and will continue to be," Pelini said. "One of the unique aspects of this job is everything it means to the whole state. The more young men and the more towns you have involved across the state, it's going to build strength."

Pelini added that while he wasn't at Nebraska long, he did learn a lot about the tradition of the program.

"We were only here for nine months or a year, whatever it was; it seemed like three years," Pelini said. "But you recognize something special. Everything associated with Nebraska football and the University of Nebraska is

something special."

In introducing Pelini to replace Bill Callahan, Osborne said Pelini “fit the bill in all respects.”

“We need a head coach with strong defensive credentials and great leadership,” Osborne said in a statement released by the university. “We were also looking for someone who can inspire confidence and get players to play with great effort. And, of course, we also wanted our new head coach to understand our traditions, including the importance of our walk-on program and the importance of football in this state.”

Players met with Pelini at 2:50.

“He is excited to get going and see if he can turn this thing around,” quarterback Joe Ganz said after the meeting. “I can’t wait to go to work with him.

“He told the players he’s ready to go to work and start recruiting and get this thing back on track.”

Pelini didn’t address whether he would stay with LSU through the BCS title game, Ganz said.

LSU just won the SEC title Saturday with a 21-14 win over Tennessee and will face Ohio State in the BCS title game.

Pelini’s announcement as Nebraska’s coach came eight days after Callahan was fired after four seasons.

Four years ago, when Steve Pederson was looking to replace Solich and chose Callahan, the search took 41 days.

Pelini, who will turn 40 in 11 days, served as a defensive coordinator at Nebraska in 2003. It will be his first head coaching job.

Two sources close to the situation tell the Journal Star that former Osborne and Solich assistant Ron Brown will be a part of Pelini’s staff. Marvin Sanders, who coached under Solich in 2003, is in town and will also be a part of the staff, sources said.

Past interviews indicate that other leading candidates to be part of Pelini’s staff at Nebraska would include Carl Pelini and Barney Cotton. It also seems likely that current assistant Shawn Watson might be retained.

The Huskers ranked 11th in total defense and led the country in turnover margin the season Pelini served as defensive coordinator.

The year before Pelini arrived, Nebraska ranked 55th in total defense. The year after he left, the Huskers ranked 56th.

When Solich was fired after the 2003 regular season, Pelini served as interim coach for Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl. The Huskers won the game 17-3 and fans chanted “We want Bo!” as the team left the field.

Pelini interviewed to be Nebraska’s permanent coach after that game with Pederson. Later, Pelini would say he felt it was not much more than a token interview.

Since coming to the college game in 2003, Pelini’s teams have won 10 or more games every season.

Some have wondered if Pelini’s temperament is suitable to be a head coach. Often cited is the day Pelini raced across the field after a 38-9 Husker loss and unleashed a verbal barrage on former Kansas State coach Bill Snyder.

Then there was the time Pelini was called for a 15-yard penalty for yelling at officials about a questionable call in the 2003 Alamo Bowl, in which he served as Nebraska’s interim head coach.

But Pelini’s fire only seemed to endear him more to the Husker fan base.

His passion had a way of winning the affection of players.

“When I take the field, I feel like I’m out there with an army and he’s our leader,” LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey told Yahoo! Sports. “He’s always wired up, always intense. He’s not a big cusser or anything, but he knows how to get you fired up.”

Even though he wasn’t required to be there, Sam Koch, a punter who was on the Husker team when Pelini was here, used to go into defensive meetings the night before a game just to hear Pelini speak.

“It was something I’ve never seen before or heard,” said Koch, now with the Baltimore Ravens. “He was just so intense.”

Barrett Ruud, now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said Pelini was so beloved by players that it wasn’t even that big of an adjustment when he became the interim head coach in 2003.

“There was no need for him to get our respect. He already had it,” Ruud said. “He’s a natural leader. Obviously, he was with the defense more than the offense. But the offensive guys knew he could do it. It didn’t take much for him to get our attention.”
6th December 2007 08:18 AM
Barney Fife Pelini visits with Husker recruits in California

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star
Thursday, Dec 06, 2007 - 12:11:19 am CST
Office decorating will have to wait.

Bo Pelini found Wednesday better suited for air travel and salesmanship.

After spending a couple days arranging his coaching staff and talking to local high school players, the new Husker head football coach got on an airplane headed for California.

Accompanied by Ted Gilmore, Pelini paid visits to the likes of recruits Simi Kuli, Cameron Meredith and Shaun Mohler, who once was strongly committed to NU but is no longer.

Mohler said Pelini was fiery and came with a blunt sales pitch: “We’re going to win.”

Pelini talked with the 6-foot-2, 225-pound junior college linebacker for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Mohler, who plays for Orange Coast College, said he’s still undecided on his next move. Oregon, Arizona State, Colorado, Iowa, Kentucky and Kansas are among the other schools courting him.

“I thought he was a great guy,” Mohler said. “Intense, really defensive-minded. … I’m just trying to see what the coaching staff is going to be.”

It’s believed an official announcement of Pelini’s assistant coaches could come as early as Thursday. Nebraska currently has seven coaches out recruiting.

It now looks like three members of the 2007 Husker staff might be retained under Pelini. Shawn Watson and Gilmore are expected to be on board; and perhaps also Randy Jordan.

Other offensive coaches definitely on the staff are Ron Brown and Barney Cotton, whose son Ben committed to Nebraska on Monday night.

On the defensive side, Marvin Sanders and Bo’s brother, Carl Pelini, appear to be on the staff. Both were in Lincoln on Wednesday.

John Papuchis, a 29-year-old defensive intern at LSU, also could be on the staff, along with Mike Ekeler, a native of Blair and a Kansas State grad.

Ekeler knows Pelini well. He was a grad assistant at Oklahoma while Pelini was a co-defensive coordinator there in 2004. They met up again in Louisiana, where Ekeler was an assistant strength coach while Pelini coached the LSU defense.

Ekeler graduated from Blair High School in 1990 and was a member of the Bears’ 1988 Class B state championship team, playing receiver and linebacker.

“He was a very fiery guy on the field, a lot of enthusiasm, tough kid,” said Mike Lehl, who coached Ekeler in high school and still lives in Blair.

Ekeler had enough talent to play linebacker at Kansas State.

“He loved football,” Lehl said. “He was very dedicated at making himself a good football player.”

It should come as no surprise that Pelini would be interested in having someone with Ekeler’s personality on his staff.

On Sunday, the day he was hired, Pelini said he was looking for passionate teachers and communicators when it came to picking his assistants.

“Obviously we want high-energy people and people who can communicate with the players and build relationships and leadership,” Pelini said. “Those are all things to me that would make up being a great coach. It’s not just about recruiting or X’s and O’s. It’s about the total package.”

Reach Brian Christopherson at 473-7439 or [email protected].
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)