ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Nagoya Dome, Japan - 5th april 2006
© Asahi with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nebraska to Hire Pelini Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st December 2007 12:16 AM
Barney Fife Nebraska picks Pelini as its coach

Posted: November 30, 2007

LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini will be the next Nebraska head coach, Sporting News has confirmed.

The news is the culmination of a search that took Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne less than two weeks to complete.

Buffalo coach Turner Gill and Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe also were interviewed. But Pelini was the choice.

Pelini's main charge will be to restore the luster to a "Blackshirt" defensive tradition that became tattered under Bill Callahan, who was fired on Nov. 24 after going 27-22 in four years. This fall, the Huskers defense allowed 476.8 yards per game and hit rock-bottom at Kansas when it allowed a school single-game record 76 points.

This season, the Huskers finished 5-7, the school's second losing record since 1962, when Bob Devaney took over and went 9-2. Both losing records came under Callahan, an outsider who tried to change the culture and never was embraced by Husker Nation. Callahan got Nebraska to the 2006 Big 12 title game but failed to deliver the school a Big 12 title, which it last won in 1999.

Pelini has spent the past three years as defensive coordinator at LSU, where he built some of the nation's best units. Pelini's defense ranked No. 3 in the nation each of the past three seasons. He became a hot commodity last fall, when he interviewed for the Michigan State job.

Published reports say the hiring will be announced early next week, and Pelini will coach LSU's defense in Saturday's SEC championship game against Tennessee.

Many believed Nebraska wanted to hire a coach with some ties to the school after it went outside the family and failed with Callahan, who arrived from the Oakland Raiders and hadn't coached in college since 1994 with Wisconsin.

Pelini was Nebraska's defensive coordinator in 2003. When Frank Solich was fired late that season, Pelini served as interim head coach in the Huskers' Alamo Bowl win over Michigan State. He was a fan favorite to take over full-time duties but wasn't tabbed by since-deposed athletic director Steve Pederson.

Pelini has an impressive resume that also includes stops as Oklahoma's co-defensive coordinator in 2004, when he helped the Sooners to the 2004 BCS title game.

Nebraska also was impressed by Pelini's NFL resume, which includes nine years on the staffs of the 49ers (1994-96, defensive backs), Patriots (1997-99, linebackers) and Packers (2000-02, linebackers).

Pelini played free safety at Ohio State (1987-90) before beginning his career as a graduate assistant at Iowa in 1991 and then coaching at his high school, Cardinal Mooney (Youngstown, Ohio). That's the same school that produced Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Arizona coach Mike Stoops.

Nebraska's decision to go with Pelini is similar to Oklahoma's move back in 1999, when it hired Bob Stoops. Like Nebraska, the Sooners had floundered under Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake after years of glory under Barry Switzer before turning to a rising star defensive coordinator who was unproven as a head coach. The move has turned out well for Oklahoma.

Nebraska hopes for similar results.

The fiery Pelini, who turns 40 on Dec. 13, is cut from the same rugged Rust Belt cloth as the Stoops brothers. When Pelini was on Nebraska's staff in 2003, he ran after Kansas State coach Bill Snyder and ripped him for running up the score in a 38-9 K-State win. And when coaching Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl, Pelini was penalized 15 yards for leaving the sidelines to argue a call.

The passion Pelini possesses will earn raves. But it's his job to take Nebraska to the heights it enjoyed in the 1990s, when the school won three national titles under the man who hired Pelini.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=312581
1st December 2007 12:21 AM
Dino37
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Nebraska picks Pelini as its coach

Posted: November 30, 2007

LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini will be the next Nebraska head coach, Sporting News has confirmed.

The news is the culmination of a search that took Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne less than two weeks to complete.

Buffalo coach Turner Gill and Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe also were interviewed. But Pelini was the choice.

Pelini's main charge will be to restore the luster to a "Blackshirt" defensive tradition that became tattered under Bill Callahan, who was fired on Nov. 24 after going 27-22 in four years. This fall, the Huskers defense allowed 476.8 yards per game and hit rock-bottom at Kansas when it allowed a school single-game record 76 points.

This season, the Huskers finished 5-7, the school's second losing record since 1962, when Bob Devaney took over and went 9-2. Both losing records came under Callahan, an outsider who tried to change the culture and never was embraced by Husker Nation. Callahan got Nebraska to the 2006 Big 12 title game but failed to deliver the school a Big 12 title, which it last won in 1999.

Pelini has spent the past three years as defensive coordinator at LSU, where he built some of the nation's best units. Pelini's defense ranked No. 3 in the nation each of the past three seasons. He became a hot commodity last fall, when he interviewed for the Michigan State job.

Published reports say the hiring will be announced early next week, and Pelini will coach LSU's defense in Saturday's SEC championship game against Tennessee.

Many believed Nebraska wanted to hire a coach with some ties to the school after it went outside the family and failed with Callahan, who arrived from the Oakland Raiders and hadn't coached in college since 1994 with Wisconsin.

Pelini was Nebraska's defensive coordinator in 2003. When Frank Solich was fired late that season, Pelini served as interim head coach in the Huskers' Alamo Bowl win over Michigan State. He was a fan favorite to take over full-time duties but wasn't tabbed by since-deposed athletic director Steve Pederson.

Pelini has an impressive resume that also includes stops as Oklahoma's co-defensive coordinator in 2004, when he helped the Sooners to the 2004 BCS title game.

Nebraska also was impressed by Pelini's NFL resume, which includes nine years on the staffs of the 49ers (1994-96, defensive backs), Patriots (1997-99, linebackers) and Packers (2000-02, linebackers).

Pelini played free safety at Ohio State (1987-90) before beginning his career as a graduate assistant at Iowa in 1991 and then coaching at his high school, Cardinal Mooney (Youngstown, Ohio). That's the same school that produced Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Arizona coach Mike Stoops.

Nebraska's decision to go with Pelini is similar to Oklahoma's move back in 1999, when it hired Bob Stoops. Like Nebraska, the Sooners had floundered under Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake after years of glory under Barry Switzer before turning to a rising star defensive coordinator who was unproven as a head coach. The move has turned out well for Oklahoma.

Nebraska hopes for similar results.

The fiery Pelini, who turns 40 on Dec. 13, is cut from the same rugged Rust Belt cloth as the Stoops brothers. When Pelini was on Nebraska's staff in 2003, he ran after Kansas State coach Bill Snyder and ripped him for running up the score in a 38-9 K-State win. And when coaching Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl, Pelini was penalized 15 yards for leaving the sidelines to argue a call.

The passion Pelini possesses will earn raves. But it's his job to take Nebraska to the heights it enjoyed in the 1990s, when the school won three national titles under the man who hired Pelini.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=312581

Get the fuck outta here Fife!
1st December 2007 12:24 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Dino37 wrote:

Get the fuck outta here Fife!

I've been here a lot longer than you have, AsswipeDinoSour!
1st December 2007 12:25 AM
pdog a Barney and Dino fight...
As seen on The Flintstones!
1st December 2007 12:29 AM
Fiji Joe Tee to the Hee dog...why aren't you chatting..the gang's all there
1st December 2007 12:33 AM
gypsy
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Tee to the Hee gypsy...why aren't you chatting..the gang's all there

Thanks, Feej, but I think I'll pass tonight. I'm really tired. Perhaps next week?
1st December 2007 12:37 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
pdog wrote:
a Barney and Dino fight...
As seen on The Flintstones!

His loser team has probably been burned too many times by the Cornhuskers in the last 45 years.

Which one is it, DinoSour?

Iowa State
The Mizzousiers
KSUcks
sCUm
JayHawkers
Baylor
Notre Ladies

1st December 2007 12:38 AM
Dino37
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

I've been here a lot longer than you have, AsswipeDinoSour!

Like a seething absess that just won't heal!

(that was simple enough)
1st December 2007 12:39 AM
Dino37
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

His loser team has probably been burned too many times by the Cornhuskers in the last 45 years.

Which one is it, DinoSour?

Iowa State
The Mizzousiers
KSUcks
sCUm
JayHawkers
Baylor
Notre Ladies

You bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st December 2007 12:40 AM
pdog
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Thanks, Feej, but I think I'll pass tonight. I'm really tired. Perhaps next week?

I almost thought.... oh nevermind.
I don't like chat. Chat, IM.... I hate communication, that's why I post!
1st December 2007 12:58 AM
Barney Fife

1st December 2007 01:02 AM
pdog the last pic redeemed you. That pic with the dead birds and retards, was weird! a
1st December 2007 01:04 AM
Bloozehound Cowboys vs Pats

who takes the ring this year ?

1st December 2007 01:08 AM
pdog
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Cowboys vs Pats

who takes the ring this year ?

This is my nightmare scenario... who do I hate more?
1st December 2007 02:36 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
pdog wrote:

This is my nightmare scenario... who do I hate more?

pick one one, and roll with it
1st December 2007 08:23 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
pdog wrote:
the last pic redeemed you. That pic with the dead birds and retards, was weird! a

Are you a PETA member?

1st December 2007 08:30 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
Dino37 wrote: You bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - I hit the nail on the head: DinoSour's team is one of those that historically has
won less than 30% of its games against the Great Nebraska Cornhuskers!

Go Big Red!

Published Thursday | November 29, 2007
Focus, fire drive Pelini
BY DIRK CHATELAIN
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — By now, the stories about Bo Pelini's intensity have almost become cliché.
He breathes fire. He spits nails. His pregame pep talks make Rockne sound like Rogers
— Mister, that is.

But as Pelini emerges as a leading candidate to replace Bill Callahan at Nebraska — as
the days go on, he becomes more of a favorite — the characteristics that get lost in his
profile are the ones that don't show up on TV cameras.

The Louisiana State defensive coordinator and former NU assistant isn't the smoothest
fruit in the coaching orchard. No way. He doesn't talk like Bob Stoops or Mack Brown.

In his one game as interim coach at NU, Pelini went ballistic on officials and drew a
personal foul. When's the last time you saw Jim Tressel do that?

But don't let fire and brimstone obscure diligence.

"I think there's more to him than just one gift," LSU coach Les Miles said.

Pelini is a student of "intimate details," Miles said. He doesn't just study an offense's
play-calling tendencies on third-and-long, he studies which way an offensive lineman
moves after the snap. In certain protections, does the quarterback throw only one
direction? When a specific tight end is in the game, what running plays are called?

"To be able to trigger a game plan based on those things is huge," Miles said.

NU interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne returned from Atlanta on Monday night
without a coach, then said Tuesday he's hitting the road to recruit. Seem a little strange?

One possible explanation is that Osborne has picked his candidate — he just won't name
him yet.

That scenario would point to Pelini. LSU's regular season doesn't end until Saturday,
when the Tigers meet Tennessee for the SEC championship.

If Osborne chooses the 39-year-old who's never been a head coach, he sees more than
just passion in Pelini. Perhaps he sees what Tulane offensive coordinator Dan Dodd
noticed in September.

Dodd was preparing for a nonconference, intrastate game with LSU.

"Almost always you can find something, somewhere where you can say, 'OK, let's vector
in on this,'" Dodd said. "'Every time you get in this part of the field, (the defense) is
going to give you this.'

"Not so with Coach Pelini."

Take the red zone, for example. Break it down into four 5-yard sections as Tulane
coaches do.

"You try to find something you can sink your teeth into," Dodd said. "For example, if
they always like to blitz in one of those areas, or they always play zone in one of those
areas, or they like to play three-deep zone, or two-deep zone."

LSU showed no tendencies. None.

Dodd looked at plays from the 16 to the 20. Pelini called almost the same number of man
blitzes as zone blitzes, almost the same number of three-deep as two-deep, almost the
same number of pressure with a safety as without a safety.

That's no coincidence, Dodd said.

"I told my guys, he must be self-scouting with an abacus," he said.

Pelini was remembered at Nebraska for his simplicity. Free the mind, attack the ball. But
his diversity allows him to adjust during a game. He has installed so many defensive
wrinkles that he can scrap a plan and replace it without confusion.

That's a credit to his knowledge base, said Arizona coach Mike Stoops, who's known
Pelini since childhood.

For someone who's never been a head coach, "he's very prepared, as much as you can be
prepared," Stoops said.

Pelini, as an NFL assistant for nine years, plucked bits of wisdom from some of the
game's finest defensive minds. He can explain Pete Carroll's philosophy as easily as he
can break down George Seifert's.

"A lot of the things he taught, I still use even down here in Tampa," said Buccaneers
linebacker Barrett Ruud, whom Pelini coached at Nebraska.

There was, by the way, one other thing the Tulane coordinator remembers about LSU,
beyond the equal proportion of three-deep to two-deep coverages and man to zone
blitzes.

"Their kids played so dang hard," Dodd said.

With Pelini, it always comes back to emotion.
1st December 2007 09:50 AM
mojoman why?
why?
why?
1st December 2007 09:51 AM
mojoman
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

holi cannoli!!!
1st December 2007 11:50 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
mojoman wrote:
why?
why?
why?

For the love of the game, MojoMan - unscripted physical violence at its finest!

1st December 2007 02:06 PM
pdog
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:

Are you a PETA member?

I just hate retards...
1st December 2007 02:17 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
pdog wrote:

I just hate retards...

How many posts got deleted last night because due to your antics?
1st December 2007 02:27 PM
pdog
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

How many posts got deleted last night because due to your antics?

you deleted yourself... you must move on!
1st December 2007 02:31 PM
glencar Nebraska? They still polka there, no?
1st December 2007 04:24 PM
mojoman
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nebraska? They still polka there, no?

i'm jammin jimmy sturr right now......
1st December 2007 04:36 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nebraska? They still polka there, no?

blue ... ( Notice small b )

The term ' glencar ' refers to a stream that feeds into the Colorado river near Limon .

J. " Snuggles " FLY !!!!
1st December 2007 08:54 PM
Dino37
quote:
Joey wrote:

blue ... ( Notice small b )

The term ' glencar ' refers to a stream that feeds into the Colorado river near Limon .

J. " Snuggles " FLY !!!!

Oh fer fuck's sake you are destroying this board with your inane commentary!

Banishment!
1st December 2007 08:59 PM
poopooslug With the stress of being a highly successful, powerful independent businessman, self made success, loving father, husband, and mentor to the pugs (please note, they would have been a show dogs if not for an undecended testicle), I find it necessary to return to Rocks Off.

I would like to first thank all of you who sent numerous PM’s, emails, letters, etc. Without you, I would not be returning. Thanks to JB, Joey, Some Guy, and my other loyal friends for supporting me and keeping my legacy alive on Rocks Off.

I continue to suffer from flank pain, chronic IBS, benign fasciculation, and other stress related conditions. This includes rectal irritation, burning sensations upon urination, swollen glands, loose skin, and a very painful bile duct. Lately, this stress has caused scalp twitching, which I fear is a symptom of a major, terminal ailment. My staff of physicians has recently informed me that my prostate is in fine shape, small and smooth, but I fear they have not performed an adequate amount of tests to confirm their diagnosis. Combine this with my fear of ALS, obsessive compulsive behavior, and heightened level of paranoia; I feel the time is right for me to come back to where I belong….Rocks Off.

I humbly accept the public apology offered by joey and jb on behalf of others. My enemies list is wiped clean. I cannot say for sure how my return will be handled, but I ask all of you to understand that I am a big/tall man with all the plusses and minuses that go with that. (If confused, please see LBJ circa 1965). This will help me decide if I shall take my family to the possible spring mini tour. If I fall under severe attack here, I may attend these shows solo, I cannot put Mrs. pug or my fine children in harms way if I am potentially looking at a physical, blindsided attack. I have always stood for peace and will not be prepared to defend myself against an angry mob.
1st December 2007 09:00 PM
Dino37
quote:
poopooslug wrote:
With the stress of being a highly successful, powerful independent businessman, self made success, loving father, husband, and mentor to the pugs (please note, they would have been a show dogs if not for an undecended testicle), I find it necessary to return to Rocks Off.

I would like to first thank all of you who sent numerous PM’s, emails, letters, etc. Without you, I would not be returning. Thanks to JB, Joey, Some Guy, and my other loyal friends for supporting me and keeping my legacy alive on Rocks Off.

I continue to suffer from flank pain, chronic IBS, benign fasciculation, and other stress related conditions. This includes rectal irritation, burning sensations upon urination, swollen glands, loose skin, and a very painful bile duct. Lately, this stress has caused scalp twitching, which I fear is a symptom of a major, terminal ailment. My staff of physicians has recently informed me that my prostate is in fine shape, small and smooth, but I fear they have not performed an adequate amount of tests to confirm their diagnosis. Combine this with my fear of ALS, obsessive compulsive behavior, and heightened level of paranoia; I feel the time is right for me to come back to where I belong….Rocks Off.

I humbly accept the public apology offered by joey and jb on behalf of others. My enemies list is wiped clean. I cannot say for sure how my return will be handled, but I ask all of you to understand that I am a big/tall man with all the plusses and minuses that go with that. (If confused, please see LBJ circa 1965). This will help me decide if I shall take my family to the possible spring mini tour. If I fall under severe attack here, I may attend these shows solo, I cannot put Mrs. pug or my fine children in harms way if I am potentially looking at a physical, blindsided attack. I have always stood for peace and will not be prepared to defend myself against an angry mob.

This post clearly references events that predate my time here, but the effort is impressive.

Continue with your work...
1st December 2007 09:16 PM
poopooslug
quote:
Dino37 wrote:

This post clearly references events that predate my time here, but the effort is impressive.

Continue with your work...

The only reason Joey's afternoon shit is forgotten is because he quickly reminds us of his late afternoon shit, early evening shit, Brazen Head Shit, hangover shit, "Split Shit", etc.
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)