ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Bill Wyman!!
In memory of Ian "Stu" Stewart
b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985
© From "Rolling with the Stones" by Bill Wyman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Americans vs the Brits Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 6th, 2005 06:59 AM
Factory Girl I think UK takes it for the bands.

However, US has produced:

1. Elvis and his Band

2. The Stooges

3. Nirvana

4. Patti Smith Band

5. the Band

6. Kings of Leon
December 6th, 2005 07:01 AM
Gazza I think a few of our Canadian members might be looking to tan your hide for claiming The Band as Yanks...
December 6th, 2005 04:10 PM
texile
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

well i beg to differ with you a little there texile

no doubt american culture (black and white) had huge influence and was a (the)major component in the creation of british rock and roll

but i would say the british art school/bohemian/romantic tradition also had a significant influence - it was just not quite so obvious an influence as that of american culture

true but without the gut-bucket blues of robert johnson, acid blues of link wray, white trash hillbilly rock and roll of jerry lee, elvis and buddy holly, the smooth, urban soul of motwon, black/white trash r&b of the south and throw in the nasty, sweaty funk of james brown...
shit stonedaussie -
the amercian musical culture was sublime - without it, skiffle and music hall would have conquered the world!
but i love the whole british art/school/boho vibe - that was an important, exotic element for american kids like me.
December 6th, 2005 04:19 PM
telecaster Weren't the Bay City Rollers part of the UK?

December 6th, 2005 04:21 PM
Joey " Weren't the Bay City Rollers part of the UK?"

December 6th, 2005 04:54 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Poms
Freddie & the Dreamers
Cliff Richard
Gary Glitter
Bucks Fizz
Boy George
Steps

Yanks
Pat Boone
The Archies
Kiss
Starlight Vocal Band
Britney/Xtina/Hillary/Jessica/Lindsay
Prussian Blue

You are both losers! Frauds! Imposters! Wearers of ill-fitting trousers!

Here is where life began...

Australia
Bee Gees
Loved Ones
Easybeats
Billy Thorpe and the (Sunbury)Aztecs
Chain
Madder Lake
Ac/Dc
The Saints
Cold Chisel
Peter Allen
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Inxs
Kylie Minogue
Silverchair
Jet

And the Godfather of 'em all...
Rolf Harris

Beat that, you bowler hatted, warm beer drinking, pasty white skinned, toothless, eel eating Limeys!

Beat that you tobacco chewing, negro lynching, country invading, checked trouser wearing, plastic surgeried Yanks!

You continue to impress Corgi.
December 6th, 2005 04:58 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

You continue to impress Corgi.

" Beat that you tobacco chewing, negro lynching, country invading .... Yanks! "

Corgi is " THE KING "

History will show that the decison by this President to go into Iraq was the biggest foreign policy disaster since Hitler Invaded Russia and / or LBJ invaded the Vietnam .

" This Iraq thing will Bankrupt us Ronnie !!! "

D.J. Jazzy Joe ! ®

[Edited by Joey]
December 6th, 2005 05:02 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

Corgi is " THE KING "

Corgi, is the smack!
December 6th, 2005 05:41 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
texile wrote:

true but without the gut-bucket blues of robert johnson, acid blues of link wray, white trash hillbilly rock and roll of jerry lee, elvis and buddy holly, the smooth, urban soul of motwon, black/white trash r&b of the south and throw in the nasty, sweaty funk of james brown...
shit stonedaussie -
the amercian musical culture was sublime - without it, skiffle and music hall would have conquered the world!
but i love the whole british art/school/boho vibe - that was an important, exotic element for american kids like me.

well i'd say we are in agreement then texile..which is cool
December 6th, 2005 06:42 PM
BILL PERKS HOW COULD AN AUSSIE LEAVE OUT MEN AT WORK??
THEY FUCKIN RULED
December 6th, 2005 06:43 PM
BILL PERKS UK ALL THE WAY
December 6th, 2005 08:53 PM
corgi37 Yeah, totally forgot about Men at work. And Little River Band - their song "reminicing" is up there with "yesterday" as one of the most played songs on U.S. radio - ever. Or so i read.

And, we got the kids market cornered too with Bananas in pjamas, Wiggles and of course (my babies and my fave) Hi-5.

Actually, i think the Bay City Rollers were Scottish.
December 6th, 2005 09:38 PM
texile 'friday night it was late i was walking you home, we got down to the gate and i was dreaming of the night...'
la, la, la - its classic!
but cool change is my favorite.
December 6th, 2005 09:51 PM
Blind Dog McGhee I see the UK bias here but did anyone write a song, "UK Music?" I ain't ever heard it if they did.

hmmm, a certain british band was in town that night...

American Music...
December 6th, 2005 11:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
HOW COULD AN AUSSIE LEAVE OUT MEN AT WORK??
THEY FUCKIN RULED

or 30 Odd Foot of Grunt?
December 8th, 2005 12:00 AM
gypsymofo60 The USA invented the whole thing, and whether you're talking about The Rolling Stones, or The Sex Pistols, everything is derivitive of American music. Britain has produced some fantastic music, but each and everyone of those great acts will always pay due credit to America. I'm English, and most of my favourite music is British, but America will always be tops as far as rock music is concerned.

One things for sure; Continental music is crap! The Eurovision Song Contest? AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH. Australia too, hardly worth a mention. It's America. It always will be.
December 8th, 2005 07:42 AM
glencar
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Hell the Stones alone decide the argument.....Rest is filler.But without Muddy/Howlin/Berry/BB and the blues greats Britain woulda had nothing to steal!

Exactamundo!
December 8th, 2005 08:09 AM
Gazza
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
The USA invented the whole thing, and whether you're talking about The Rolling Stones, or The Sex Pistols, everything is derivitive of American music. Britain has produced some fantastic music, but each and everyone of those great acts will always pay due credit to America. I'm English, and most of my favourite music is British, but America will always be tops as far as rock music is concerned.

no arguments with that one
December 8th, 2005 08:23 PM
corgi37 I wish i was American.
December 8th, 2005 11:27 PM
texile
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I wish i was American.

and that should be the last word on the subject.
December 9th, 2005 06:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I wish i was American.

December 9th, 2005 07:55 AM
Zeeta
quote:
texile wrote:

and that should be the last word on the subject.

ne, I agree perhaps that Americans have the upperhand on this but that statement shoul not end the discussion...

Knowing Corgi, he's probrably takin the piss anyway!
December 9th, 2005 11:45 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I wish i was American.

December 9th, 2005 11:54 AM
jb European sales have never been worse!!!!! Many stadiums 1/3 filled...U2 wiped us out!!!!! What a pitiful world we live in...and thanks to Cohl, U2 got the jump on us and shall smash all existing Stones records........Thanks Europe!!!! We atleast paid more to make up for smaller attendance..You got charged less and failed to show up!!!
December 9th, 2005 11:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
European sales have never been worse!!!!! Many stadiums 1/3 filled

especially the majority that arent even on sale yet!
December 9th, 2005 12:06 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Those are the ones that concern me the most...I suspect it will not be a happy new year in the Rolling Stones management office as I fear Michael Cohl (against Young Jake's wishes) will ditch the Stones christmas party to be seen with the "in crowd" at the U2 Holiday Bash (as to not offend those who dont celebrate Christmas)

I am sorry Gazza that the ticket sales have come to the point where they cannot sell out numerous shows in the UK, you do not deserve this humiliation.
December 9th, 2005 12:06 PM
BillyBoll
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Never let the truth spoil a JB statement!

For someone desperately trying to score decent tickets for some shows I wish JB was correct!
December 9th, 2005 12:08 PM
Joey
quote:
BillyBoll wrote:

For someone desperately trying to score decent tickets for some shows I wish JB was correct!

Have you tried the following ?!?! :

December 9th, 2005 12:21 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think a few of our Canadian members might be looking to tan your hide for claiming The Band as Yanks...

LOL...I'll be the first!

Levon is the only non-Canadian member of the original members of The Band. Not only are they Canadian (Robbie, Rick, Garth & Richard), but they're all southern Ontario boys. From my 'hood!

No wonder Dylan loved 'em!

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
December 10th, 2005 08:38 AM
corgi37 Hey, i wasnt taking the piss. My Great-Grandfather was a Yank. From lovely Oakham, Mass. I'd love to be a Yank.

But, maybe when this whole George Bush thing and you know, the "Muslim problem" is gone.

Then i can retire to South Carolina - sit on my porch and wave at my new Yank mates, put my hand on my heart when the national anthem is played and wear horrible multi patterned and multi colored trousers.

But, i will never give up Aussie beer or Aussie footy.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)