ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Bill Wyman!!
In memory of Ian "Stu" Stewart
b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985
© From "Rolling with the Stones" by Bill Wyman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Americans vs the Brits Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 5th, 2005 01:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Everyone knows that US of America and the Great Britian are the two great powerhouses of Rock n Roll.

But in a "Battle of the Bands", who's number #1?

December 5th, 2005 01:57 PM
Joey
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Everyone knows that US of America and the Great Britian are the two great powerhouses of Rock n Roll.

Britain --- Not even close :

1. ) The Beatles
2. ) The Rolling Stones
3. ) The Who
4. ) Pink Floyd
5. ) MACCA ( solo )
6. ) Lennon ( solo )
7. ) Keith John Moon
December 5th, 2005 01:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Oooooooooohhhh

Slam Dunk!!!
December 5th, 2005 01:59 PM
Jumping Jack Without American blues there would be no British rock bands or the Beatles (not a rock band).
December 5th, 2005 02:04 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Without American blues there would be no British rock bands or the Beatles (not a rock band).

Good Point !!!!!!!!

Still .........................................

The Rolling Stones DID make black music more palpable to a white audience ..............

www.OmahaMeca.com

J. " Snuggles " Fly !
December 5th, 2005 02:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Everyone knows that US of America and the Great Britian are the two great powerhouses of Rock n Roll.

For bands - no contest, we are
For solo artists - equally no contest, you are.

An honourable and diplomatic draw
December 5th, 2005 02:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Without American blues there would be no British rock bands or the Beatles (not a rock band).

and without British rock bands most Americans would still be totally ignorant of American blues music
December 5th, 2005 02:31 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

and without British rock bands most Americans would still be totally ignorant of American blues music

Damn Straight !

I didn't even know who Chuck Berry WAS until Keith put together that ' tribute ' in 1987 . Thanks Keith .

December 5th, 2005 02:41 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Joey wrote:

Britain --- Not even close :

1. ) The Beatles
2. ) The Rolling Stones
3. ) The Who
4. ) Pink Floyd
5. ) MACCA ( solo )
6. ) Lennon ( solo )
7. ) Keith John Moon

Don't forget Oasis, and u2(though thats strictly Ireland). I gather Oasis ain't too popular amongst the Rocks Off contingency?
December 5th, 2005 02:53 PM
Joey
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

I gather Oasis ain't too popular amongst the Rocks Off contingency?

IMHO ..... their only redeeming virtue is Zak Starkey

http://www.kathyszaksite.com/who2005.html#more06

" In mid-November 2005, reports that some UK ticket touts were already taking orders for provisional dates in April and June [as of Dec 3 they are - April 30 - Wembley, May 2 - NEC, May 4 - MEN and May 6 - SECC]. And an article on popmatters.com about the UK band Dogs indicates that Daltrey raved about them, leading to a call from Who management to "come play with the Who" at the Royal ALbert Hall Teenage Cancer Trust in March 2006. "

December 5th, 2005 03:24 PM
the good I don't know if the Brits win the battle of the bands. We produced Bon Jovi.
December 5th, 2005 03:30 PM
lotsajizz it's not a contest
December 5th, 2005 03:36 PM
The Volitan Man, I'm an american, but I gotta say there's very few "awesome" american bands. Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith and maybe a few other's I'm forgetting at the moment.

As for solo guys we win. Without the black american blues artists, modern music wouldn't exist.
December 5th, 2005 03:42 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Joey wrote:

IMHO ..... their only redeeming virtue is Zak Starkey

http://www.kathyszaksite.com/who2005.html#more06

" In mid-November 2005, reports that some UK ticket touts were already taking orders for provisional dates in April and June [as of Dec 3 they are - April 30 - Wembley, May 2 - NEC, May 4 - MEN and May 6 - SECC]. And an article on popmatters.com about the UK band Dogs indicates that Daltrey raved about them, leading to a call from Who management to "come play with the Who" at the Royal ALbert Hall Teenage Cancer Trust in March 2006. "

I actually think its the worst thing they've ever done. Its taking they're Beatle cloning to a piss-taking, bloated maximum!
December 5th, 2005 03:51 PM
Joey
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

I actually think its the worst thing they've ever done. Its taking they're Beatle cloning to a piss-taking, bloated maximum!

Agreed !!!! ... What really hurts is :

Zak does NOT need the money !!!!!!!!

Joe Sea Scroll !
December 5th, 2005 03:52 PM
texile the british -
but american culture created those bands...
soul, country, blues....
actually - i think only the beatles truly surpassed thier american musical roots to create something uniquely british.
December 5th, 2005 03:54 PM
gimmekeef Hell the Stones alone decide the argument.....Rest is filler.But without Muddy/Howlin/Berry/BB and the blues greats Britain woulda had nothing to steal!
December 5th, 2005 03:55 PM
Joey
quote:
texile wrote:
actually - i think only the beatles truly surpassed thier american musical roots to create something uniquely british.

W- W- What ?!?!

December 5th, 2005 05:51 PM
texile
quote:
Joey wrote:

W- W- What ?!?!

to me, everybody else had a distinctly american flavor ...whether it was the garage or blues thing....there was a long line of american garage right before the who and kinks...
but the beatles never sounded like anything else but the beatles.....what the fuck is penny lane?
beatles music.
December 5th, 2005 06:41 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Joey wrote:

Agreed !!!! ... What really hurts is :

Zak does NOT need the money !!!!!!!!

Joe Sea Scroll !

No, he doesn't, the only more ridiculous thing they could have done is to get Ringo on drums, or get Julian/Sean Lennon to play guitar.

Also, Noel Gallagher once spent a trans Atlantic flight talking and drinking with George Harrison's son Dani after a qutting a tour in 1996, after tensions between him and Liam reached fever pitch. I love what happened next. Dani was totally trashed and barfing when he reached Heathrow Airport, while Noel was still able to control his bowels. In a 1997 GQ interview Noel purported to have told Harrison Jnr "Go puke in your're country mansion, whilst my stomach gently retches!"
I love that story, it shows how they totally out rock 'n' roll the Beatles IMO. Ok, they took drugs (especially Lennon,who womanised too, the "Lost Weekend" a personal favourite!) but that was about it. Compare this to Oasis; drugs, women, illegitimate children, fights, driving a Rolls into a pool to "imitate" Keith Moon (excessive),being bannedfrom the Cathay Pacific Airline!

ONLY the Stones can rival this IMO; longer and more original use of drugs, Jagger & women, anti-establishment figures(not now), Keith and the Original TV out of window, imprisoned, arrested on 72' Tour....... the list can go on and on..........
December 5th, 2005 10:32 PM
Water Dragon Off topic - lotsajizz - is that my favourite baseball player hitting one of his 505 home runs as your avatar?

Man, oh man, he rocked the house and all of it just on grits and fried chicken!

Cheers,

W.D.
December 5th, 2005 11:32 PM
keefjunkie i def think the brits win with floyd,zep,stones,beatles,who,kinks,deep purple,sabbath etc.etc.etc.etc.

but we have some greats too.. THE DOORS,Aerosmith,ZZ Top,Steve Miller,Jefferson Airplane,The Dead,Skynyrd,Allman Bros Band,Ted Nugent,The Ramones(IMO Much better than the sex pistols but tied with the clash),The Stooges,MC5,New York Dolls, Misfits. etc.etc.

we both really have alot of greats
December 5th, 2005 11:46 PM
WhenTheWhipComesDown Maybe I got the wrong Zak here, but isn't Zak Starkey also the
name of Ringo's son?
December 6th, 2005 12:01 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
texile wrote:
the british -
but american culture created those bands...

well i beg to differ with you a little there texile

no doubt american culture (black and white) had huge influence and was a (the)major component in the creation of british rock and roll

but i would say the british art school/bohemian/romantic tradition also had a significant influence - it was just not quite so obvious an influence as that of american culture
December 6th, 2005 12:23 AM
Barney Fife The king of all rock music!

December 6th, 2005 12:34 AM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
The king of all rock music!

but he had to go over there to get his start

that being said, USA all the way
December 6th, 2005 02:42 AM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Good Point !!!!!!!!

Still .........................................

The Rolling Stones DID make black music more palpable to a white audience ..............

www.OmahaMeca.com

J. " Snuggles " Fly !

And white people made Snoop Dog a gazilionaire. We've come full circle...
No?
December 6th, 2005 02:44 AM
pdog
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
i def think the brits win with floyd,zep,stones,beatles,who,kinks,deep purple,sabbath etc.etc.etc.etc.

but we have some greats too.. THE DOORS,Aerosmith,ZZ Top,Steve Miller,Jefferson Airplane,The Dead,Skynyrd,Allman Bros Band,Ted Nugent,The Ramones(IMO Much better than the sex pistols but tied with the clash),The Stooges,MC5,New York Dolls, Misfits. etc.etc.

we both really have alot of greats

The first part of your list scared me shitless. It approved immensely after The Ramones...
December 6th, 2005 05:23 AM
corgi37 Poms
Freddie & the Dreamers
Cliff Richard
Gary Glitter
Bucks Fizz
Boy George
Steps

Yanks
Pat Boone
The Archies
Kiss
Starlight Vocal Band
Britney/Xtina/Hillary/Jessica/Lindsay
Prussian Blue

You are both losers! Frauds! Imposters! Wearers of ill-fitting trousers!

Here is where life began...

Australia
Bee Gees
Loved Ones
Easybeats
Billy Thorpe and the (Sunbury)Aztecs
Chain
Madder Lake
Ac/Dc
The Saints
Cold Chisel
Peter Allen
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Inxs
Kylie Minogue
Silverchair
Jet

And the Godfather of 'em all...
Rolf Harris

Beat that, you bowler hatted, warm beer drinking, pasty white skinned, toothless, eel eating Limeys!

Beat that you tobacco chewing, negro lynching, country invading, checked trouser wearing, plastic surgeried Yanks!
December 6th, 2005 06:33 AM
Zeeta
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
it's not a contest

Indeed...

And that's just for starters!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)