ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

John Lennon
October 9, 1940 - December 8, 1980
Plastic Ono Mothers at the Fillmore East, June 5, 1971
With Frank Zappa - December 21, 1940 - December 4, 1993

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anyone off to the Stripes this Friday? (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-21-03 10:33 AM
Martha
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
well the shows here at the Greek a few months back ran less than 80 minutes, encore incuded - that seems pretty standard for all of the live sets I have heard. I just recommended the 120 minute tape for the same reason I always use fresh batteries (expensive as that is to do) - it is better to be safe than sorry.

have fun.

who's opening for them in Cleveland?

Whirlwind Heat. Anyone have the skinny on this band?
11-21-03 12:42 PM
Factory Girl I got my WS tix!! Thank you, Hooked for the tip. And thank you, everyone for your encouragement!!

I can really use some fun about now.
11-21-03 05:39 PM
Hooked Good job, FG! it should be fun...
11-22-03 10:15 AM
Martha Factory Girl that is fantastic news!!!!!..."you can always get a ticket" is the motto I subscribe to!

Rock your brains out!

Savage & Young...how was the show? Did you get the running time and set-list for me?????

"Green Apples.........I'm gonna be EXPLODIN'..."
11-22-03 01:21 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Ahhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

To be at a General Admission White Stripes concert is like going to war.

Martha: The Stripes hit the stage at around 9:15, about half an hour after Whirlwind Heat left the stage at 8:45.

Whirlwind Heat, I joked with a friend of mine, could join up with the Stripes to form one full band. They were a drummer, a synth player and a bassist. The music wore out its welcome very quickly. It wasn't *bad*, per se. Just boring.

The Stripes played almost non-stop, with very few breaks between songs, until they left the stage for five minutes, leaving the crowd to howl. Then they came back for a roaring encore, leaving the stage at around 10:40. So if your friend knows when to stop the tape while they're gone, they'll have a nice 80-minute disc.

As for the setlist, it went by in such a rush I only got bits and pieces, not to mention that earlier on in the concert I was busy fighting to stay on my feet. He'd literally play thirty seconds of something in transition before leaping into something different - he did "The Hardest Button To Button", dragged it right into thirty seconds of "Girl, You Have No Faith In Medecine", then blew straight into "Ball And Biscuit".

They opened, as is traditional, I understand, with "Black Math" (which he dragged straight into "Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground"), and closed with "Seven Nation Army". I did get to hear the three songs I wanted to hear most, which was awesome - "Death Letter", "The Same Boy You've Always Known" and "Love Sick", which he absolutely *tore to shreds*. Only a few of us up front knew what the hell it was, and we were screaming like maniacs... then the crowd got into it and everyone was jumping around. He gave me a look when I yelled "YOU ROCK, BOB!" after the song. When he did talk to the crowd, he always referred to Meg as "my sister" (she sang "In The Cold, Cold Night" while Jack hid behind the amplifier with his guitar) and spoke in a very sort of sing-song tone that reminded me a lot of Bob Dylan and the Manchester Free Trade concert.

It was a *rowdy crowd*. I passed no less than ten people over my head either passed out or too stoned to care up to security to be taken out. There was a lot of shoving and general swaying up front, only a few major ripples towards the beginning. A few girls made a run for the exits as soon as the concert started, having no idea what they were getting into. My buddies and I got separated early on - I met up with a few of them as they kinda drifted through the crowd, but most of the time I was alone, generally four to five rows back from the front. A few people got dragged out for being assholes in general, but most of the crowd was into it and having a great time. By the end of the concert I was about ten feet away from Jack White, about two crushed rows of people back, dead center. It was worth every dime I spent going to see them. They're not for everybody, but damnit, if you're a real hard rocker, they're the guys to see.

-tSYX --- It's hard to keep up with you...
11-23-03 02:23 AM
mac_daddy sounds great! did you see anybody taping?
11-23-03 01:12 PM
Martha Savage and Young..Holy Crap and Thank You for a great review!!! "Death Letter"....that's worth the price of admission right there!

Now, inspired by Factory Girls' good fortune and your wonderful review I am half-aiming myself at trying to get into the (soldout) show this Tuesday night at Bogarts in Cincy.

A seven nation Army couldn't hold me back.

You will be rewarded! Check your PM.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaartha!
11-23-03 07:10 PM
Factory Girl My dear Martha!
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try you just might find, you'll get what you need." J/R

PS. I'll post a review later.
11-24-03 07:35 AM
Factory Girl Review from the press

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9001-2003Nov23.html
11-24-03 02:18 PM
Hooked I think that review is about right. I don't necessarily think they need more big-rock razzle-dazzle, but they need, i don't know, something. Jack White is an amazing guitarist and he was great to watch.

But there's something limiting about them--as much as Jack White sounds like two or three people up there, it's still just a duo and it sounds thin in the end. And Meg White is not much of a drummer, although she plays a hard beat. She's very basic and even played one song with one hand b/c it didn't need much more. So it almost seems like a one-man band. I think that makes it hard to get into b/c you kind of want to rock out when you hear them.

Maybe it was a bad crowd and not the best venue, but it seemed that everyone was aching to get going and it just wasn't happening. Not a terrible show by any means, but it could be much better.
[Edited by Hooked]
11-25-03 08:25 AM
Factory Girl Hey Hooked, I tend to agree. The crowd was lame and somewhat uptight. I was in the upper level (center stage) and no one was standing up and dancing.

Also, I hated that the police were present as part of the security. It added a Nazi element to the atmosphere.
11-25-03 10:47 AM
Sir Stonesalot The White Stripes were fantastic last night. The Tweeter Center SUCKS, and SUCKS HARD.

I got my recorder in with no problem. Unfortunately though, I was on the very end of the row, and there were 3 securuty goons standing right beside me for the entire show. Those same 3 goons ejected, at my count, 8 people for smoking. That's right, I said ejected. No warnings, no nothing, just "No smoking, come with us please." Needless to say, the atmosphere was slightly oppressive. Not very conducive to a rock & roll show.

My seat should not have even been sold as a seat. At the very least it should have been obstructed view. I could see Meg, but I could only see Jack when he was with Meg, or was at the very front of the stage. In other words, when he played most of his solos, I couldn't see him.

$15.00 for event parking. $4.00 for a cup of bad coffee. $10.00 for a can of Fosters, and $7.00 for a bottle of Yuengling Lager. $4.00 for a friggin hot pretzel! I will NOT be going back there for ANY reason...including the Stones playing there.

Aside from all that, The White Stripes delivered a superb show. They played some songs I didn't expect...Jimmy The Exploder, Apple Blossum, Offend, I Want To Be The Boy To Warm Your Mother's Heart. Both Ball & Biscuit, and Death Letter were insanely good. Meg played the keyboard for part of Cold Cold Night. There was a 30 minute stretch when they didn't stop playing...just one song melting into the next. I've never seen pacing like that.

Now, as for Meg's "basic" approach, it's PERFECT for the White Stripes primitive sound. If you listen to the depth of the songs that are on Elephant, as opposed to the songs on The White Stripes, you will see that Meg is responsible for that. You need to remember...she's only been playing drums for about 5 years. As she gets better, Jack can do more with the songs. So, because Meg is still improving as a drummer(don't get too good Meg!), Jack's songs are also improving. I think the Stripes sound just fine the way they are. They are not a traditional band, and do not have a traditional sound. You say they sound thin, I say that's the way they are SUPPOSED to sound. The White Stripes are not for everyone. That is by design.

The biggest problem that I see with The White Stripes is that they should NOT be playing places like the Tweeter Center. IMO, this is a band that would be better served playing clubs, theatres, and ballrooms. I should have just gone back to Roseland.

I saw a great show in a shitty venue. Next up, Bowie Dec 10th.

Jack also informed us that they will be suing Stetson cologne for stealing Hello Operator and using it in a commercial.
11-25-03 10:58 AM
Martha Great review Stonesy. Sorry your view was obstructed so much of the show though..that sucks. I am seeing them this coming Sunday in a venue that is more club sized (I've been told this, it will be our first time at the Agora in Cleveland)...and I too think it will be better for what they offer. I cannot wait!!!!
11-25-03 11:49 AM
Factory Girl Hey, Thanks for the great review Stonesy!! Was the Monkey in attendance?

Martha-Iggy POP played Agora a long time ago. Therefore, it must be a cool cool venue! Did you also get lucky with tix???
11-25-03 01:10 PM
Hooked Yeah, Stonesy, I get your drift---that is their sound. Jack White really is a great talent, both playing and singing. I have two of their albums and really like Elephant.

But, I don't know, after a while, I feel like their sound is limiting with just two of them, esp. when he's such a better musician than her. I think I'm a little bummed b/c I really WANT to like them more than I do. They have great influences and he is definitely willing to mix it up and take chances. I just find myself drifting from them after a while. But maybe it wouldn't work with another musician there.

I also think part of the thing with the show i saw was the venue---the DC show wasn't that big (4000 people), but people in the stands were sitting, as Factory Girl said. I was on the floor, but it wasn't like people were going nuts there. They probably are a band that works much better in a smaller place, as you said.

I will be interested to see what they do next.
11-25-03 01:40 PM
Factory Girl The WS should play the 9:30 club, which might suit them better.

I saw Iggy Pop at the National Theatre, at Hammerjacks, and at the 9:30 club. Iggy is at his best at Hammerjacks, or even the 9:30 club.

This was my 2nd time at the Smith Center. The first time I saw Jesus & Mary Chain at the Smith Center.
11-25-03 01:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot I find the their form fascinating. Pushing the limits of such a limited path. Very interesting. I mean, where do you go when there is nowhere to go? Jack White is an explorer. And he's fearless.

I will never go to another show at the Tweeter Center though, I can tell you that!

11-25-03 02:20 PM
Martha
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Martha-Iggy POP played Agora a long time ago. Therefore, it must be a cool cool venue! Did you also get lucky with tix???

I didn't land a ticket for the show tonight in Cincy (Bogarts a true pit the perfect fit) hehehe! I plan to hang that up as I am not up to going there alone and hanging out trying to get a ticket in the freezing cold..call me wimpy..whatever...I do have tickets for the Cleveland show though so I am set!

Iggy Pop! I've got to see him as soon as I can!!!

Jack is pushing the limits. Good call SS...I dig this guy!
11-25-03 03:12 PM
Factory Girl Martha, you must see Ig!!
11-25-03 08:06 PM
Hooked WS played 930 club on their last tour. I actually had tix but couldn't go that night. heard it was great.

I saw Iggy at a club in Vienna, Austria when I was working in Europe this past summer. The place was about the size of 930 club, maybe a tad bigger. He was good, hasn't lost his 'tude with his age. Cranking good show, nice and loud.

Funniest moment was when he kept yelling for the sound guys to out on the house lights during the encore. He yelled for them to do it couple of times and nothing happened. Finally, in a non-PC moment, he yelled "Turn up the fucking lights, Adolf!!". Invoking the Furher in a largely German county might have backfired, but the lights suddenly went on...
11-26-03 07:29 AM
Factory Girl Hey Hooked, that is a funny story. Do you have Ig's latest cd "Skull Ring"? I think its ok, but not great by Ig's standards. I do hope that Ig will tour to support the cd.

Other shows I've seen at the 9:30 club are Patti Smith (twice) and Jerry Cantrell.

11-26-03 06:28 PM
Hooked I do not have Skull Ring--in fact, I hate to admit this, but the only Iggy albums i have are Raw Power and the album with "Candy" and "Home" (the name of the album escapes me now).

However, like a lot of people, I do know a fair amount of his songs and was familar with lots that he played in Vienna. Amazing how much energy he has. I actually didn't know he was playing there until i went to Ticketmaster-type place in Vienna to buy tix for the Stones show the next night and saw that Iggy was playing on that night (the night before the Stones show). A nice surprise!

My friends an I go the 930 club a lot--i think it's a good, well-run venue and they have some good bands coming thru there.
11-27-03 11:33 AM
Sir Stonesalot I like the 9:30 too. Easy to get to, metro nearby, ample parking, and the best part...2 bars and great sightlines.

I'd go back there any time.
Page: 1 2