ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Madison Square Garden, June 1975
© Claude Gassian with thanks to Rockman and Erik_Snow ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Anyone Seen The New NY Dolls? (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st November 2006 01:15 PM
lotsajizz just back from a GnR show and off to see the reformed NY Dolls tonight...can anyone say how this Thunder-less version is? it's just David and Syl now right?
21st November 2006 01:25 PM
Saint Sway the new guys fit in like they were born to be Dolls.
21st November 2006 01:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot I go Sat.

I saw 'em last year, before the new album, and it was one of the most fun shows I'd been to in a long time.

I can't wait to see them do some of the new songs.

And the SuperSuckers will be there too! And The Chesterfield Kings!! Holy crap, it's Rock n Roll overload!

I'm gonna wear Depends.
21st November 2006 01:57 PM
Dan Saw them twice, Sunset Junction last year and at Tower this year doing mostly new songs. Great show, a lot of fun and the new album has some good songs too.
21st November 2006 03:19 PM
lotsajizz thanks for the feedback guys!! I take it from SS that the Chesterfield Kings are worth seeing so i will go earlier than I first thought....
21st November 2006 03:22 PM
Saint Sway I wonder if the SuperSuckers will bust out a Dolls or Thunders cover in their set?
21st November 2006 03:26 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I go Sat.

I saw 'em last year, before the new album, and it was one of the most fun shows I'd been to in a long time.

I can't wait to see them do some of the new songs.

And the SuperSuckers will be there too! And The Chesterfield Kings!! Holy crap, it's Rock n Roll overload!

I'm gonna wear Depends.

LOL! Enjoy the shows, guys. Long live the Dolls.
21st November 2006 03:41 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
just back from a GnR show and off to see the reformed NY Dolls tonight...can anyone say how this Thunder-less version is? it's just David and Syl now right?

How did you like the GNR show?
21st November 2006 03:41 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I take it from SS that the Chesterfield Kings are worth seeing so i will go earlier than I first thought....<

You take it right. One of the best bands in the US...heavily influenced by Brian era Stones. Fantastic vintage gear. Business picks up when the Kings hit the stage.
21st November 2006 03:49 PM
Dan I saw GWAR last night. Even though I took a long hot yet drunken shower, I just noticed I still have fake blood on my face and even in my scalp. None of my co-workers even mentioned it though staggering in 5 minutes late and in some state of disarray isn't all that unusual.
21st November 2006 05:01 PM
lotsajizz Last night in Halifax was the second GnR show I've seen this tour. No better/no worse than Worcester two weeks ago---the new songs kick ass, especially IRS and the band continues to blow me away.....my opinion that they are DAR better than the old GnR has been oft-posted and was reaffirmed !! And I am so friggin' glad I got to finally hear "Used To Love Her" live!!! The Sebastain Bach duet on 'My Michelle' is super--like raw sandpaper against baby flesh!! The pyro show is awesome---Axl'x voice continues to hold out and he's thinner now than in thirteen years!!

SOB did not come on 'till midnight!!!

21st November 2006 05:11 PM
Dan
quote:

I know I could name my own price for a ticket but nowadays I blow off gigs by bands I still love if it's going to be that kind of timeline, especially on a weeknight.
21st November 2006 10:10 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Last night in Halifax was the second GnR show I've seen this tour. No better/no worse than Worcester two weeks ago---the new songs kick ass, especially IRS and the band continues to blow me away.....my opinion that they are DAR better than the old GnR has been oft-posted and was reaffirmed !! And I am so friggin' glad I got to finally hear "Used To Love Her" live!!! The Sebastain Bach duet on 'My Michelle' is super--like raw sandpaper against baby flesh!! The pyro show is awesome---Axl'x voice continues to hold out and he's thinner now than in thirteen years!!

I'm really into the song Better. IRS is great too and Madagascar is really growing on me.
22nd November 2006 04:45 AM
Gazza Saw them a couple of years ago supporting the White Stripes. Never saw the 'original' line up, so have no frame of reference to compare it to, but I thought they were very enjoyable
22nd November 2006 02:38 PM
lotsajizz A fine night out at the local rock club, Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel. We revved up at home first and then headed out around nine...we parked just two blocks away on the street for free and were inside within fifteen minutes of leaving home, a refreshing change from concerts of late. SS was correct and the Chesterfield Kings were very good, if a tad too derivative. They rocked, and hey, these days that counts for a lot!! The club was maybe 3/4 full, I'm guessing a 600 or so capacity with the balcony closed. I forgot how many punk cuties come out to these clubs! And boy were they ever friendly--many fine college age bimbettes in punk gear and VERY social--where were all these girls when I was 21 and single?!?!?! We set up right in front at the stage railing (a low stage) and boycotted additional booze, allowing us to set up front and center while others gave in to bladder pressure. The Dolls came on about 11:20 or so and were great! They opened with 'Looking For A Kiss' and it was perfect. Johansen can't weigh more than 135 lb's soaking wet, no high heels, but with red painted fingernails. He strutted the stage and pranced and prowled like you'd expect...Syl Sylvain and he came to the edge of the stage many times....I remember once opening my eyes after dancing through the solo on 'Trash' to find David singing two feet in front of me! You don't get THAT at stadia or arenas! Syl even let me strum the guitar a couple of times!! It was loud, my ears are STILL ringing as I type, louder even than GnR on Monday night (except during the explosions). They did most of the first album, 'Puss nBoots' from the second, and three from the new one, plus a couple of covers and a new one not yet recorded. The encore was 'Personality Crisis'!!!
In the middle of the show, Syl announced it was sad that Killer, Nolan, and expecially Johnny could not be here....they then went into 'You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory' which ran into 'Lonely Planet Boy' sung perfectly by David! By the way, David looks and is aging much as Mick...eerie parallels from '73 to '06! His wig was funny but funky. This is a fun evening of rock and I reccomend it highly, and remember I was the cynic---announcing last year "No Thunders=No Dolls". I stand corrected.

Again.

Cazart!

Long Live Rock

[Edited by lotsajizz]
22nd November 2006 02:56 PM
Dan Great review, thanks, I love reading stuff like that. I missed the show unfortunately choosing Aerosmith/Motley Crue instead. Sometimes there is just too much to do around here.
22nd November 2006 09:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey Jizzy...thanks for the review.

The Kings derivative? Absolutely. Thank goodness they are derivative of stuff I really love.

What did you think of the SuperSuckers?

22nd November 2006 10:26 PM
GotToRollMe Nice review, Jizzy! Ain't it grand?
23rd November 2006 09:05 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

What did you think of the SuperSuckers?

I was not impressed...they were kinda dull to be honest, the cowboys hats and song style reminded me of a less-hickish 38 Special (developing....)....at least they rocked and played guitars and did not rap so that automatically puts 'em ahead of 99% of what's out there today, but I just did not find enough hooks to keep me excited....maybe with more touring they'll pick up some more riffs and improve---the road is THE school for rockers...

now, the go-go dancers.....

23rd November 2006 02:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot Uh...The Supersuckers have been touring almost non-stop since the early 90's. Maybe you missed their humor...those guys crack me up.

But hey, to each their own. I can certainly understand why someone would not care for them. They are a bit over-the-top. But I like that, especially when it is done tongue firmly in cheek.
23rd November 2006 04:17 PM
danielharris627 I saw them in october, they were great.
23rd November 2006 05:34 PM
Factory Girl The Dolls & Supersuckers are here Sun. 11/26/06. I'd like to go go. But cant't make promises these days.
23rd November 2006 10:53 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Uh...The Supersuckers have been touring almost non-stop since the early 90's. Maybe you missed their humor...those guys crack me up.

right over my head...I was fifteen feet from them and just waitin' for 'em to get off the stage

I did not have that feeling with the Chesterfield Kings

24th November 2006 05:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot If you can find it, I highly recommend the Kings album "Let's Go Get Stoned". Extremely derivative...right down to the Aftermath album cover.

But extremely derivative in a good way, if you know what I mean.

Their latest "The Mindbending Sounds of...." is really good too.
26th November 2006 11:00 AM
crb69 I caught the Dolls in NYC wed. night and they rocked! They have always delivered the goods since they started out 2 years ago...I couldn't get over how happy David Jomama was...he was really into the packed NYC house singing along with the band...I do feel that the Supersuckers had a better sound though that could be because we moved up closer to the stage for the Dolls...

great show though too late for me...we had to leave during Personality Crisis in order to catch the last train back to Jersey...bummer. Saw them 4 times since the Starland show in 2004 and can't wait to see 'em again...

By the way, there is an excellent FM/SBD recording of the Dolls from Sweden back in July up on DIME.
26th November 2006 11:27 AM
lotsajizz Thanks!!!
26th November 2006 02:45 PM
Dan If anyone is interested, the recent Sunset Junction and Tower Records appearances have just been uploaded to Dime.
26th November 2006 06:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot >now, the go-go dancers.....<

You mean these Go-Go Dancers?

26th November 2006 06:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Charms...

26th November 2006 06:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Chesterfield Kings...

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)