ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL (México) - 1st March 2006
© and thanks Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones songs you like, but understand others not liking Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th November 2007 10:18 PM
PartyDoll MEG Oh a few obscurities that come to mind that I never skip on "shuffle"...
Sittin' On A Fence
Spider and the Fly
Good Times, Bad Times
Sweetheart's Together

Miss You and Emotional Rescue(sorry Some Guy!)always get skipped!!
18th November 2007 12:43 AM
IanBillen
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
I love the second side of Tattoo You. But others don't care for it as much as I do. Also I adore all of Goat's Head Soup, whereas some fans, and many critics, simply dismiss it as a second rate successor to Exile.

GHS is my personal favorite Stones album. While it is certainly not a commercial album, and I know others are better in terms of power singles and structured better and all that, but this album always had a special place with me.

Black and Blue is my least favorite and I feel it is mediocre over all while there are some that love it to death.

All a matter of personal choice I suppose.

Ian
18th November 2007 03:06 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Let's Work

YES.

BTW, I love Gomper. And most of Dirty Work. In my opinion, the Stones haven't put out a single bad album.
18th November 2007 12:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Miss You and SMU are surely loved by the masses

They are, although the wide appeal of SMU has always baffled me.

It ticks a lot of the right boxes - great riff, superbly recorded (Tattoo You is the best SOUNDING Stones record ever IMO), but as a song it's never struck me as more than "OK". One of the weaker songs on a great album.

'Miss You' was a terrific record. I still love the original. However, it ceased to be listenable live after 1982. The versions on the BTB and ABB tours were the absolute nadir and the ultimate waste-of-time piss-break of any Stones shows I've ever seen. (it wasnt that bad on the few versions played on 'Licks' though)

Theyre probably the two Stones songs that I wouldnt care to see performed live ever again - even though I did hear a few good SMU's this summer.
18th November 2007 12:05 PM
mrhipfl The version of Miss You on the BTB DVD is one of my favorite Stones performances actually.
18th November 2007 12:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:

YES.

BTW, I love Gomper. And most of Dirty Work. In my opinion, the Stones haven't put out a single bad album.

The only Stones studio album I genuinely dislike is Satanic Majesties, and thats mainly because its them trying to be something that they weren't. It just sounds forced, phoney and unnatural. Even so, there are still some songs on it that I like.

A "bad Stones album" is still better than a "good" album by almost anyone else.
[Edited by Gazza]
18th November 2007 12:09 PM
Fiji Joe Indian Girl...Only you can prevent fascist revolution

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
18th November 2007 12:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
The version of Miss You on the BTB DVD is one of my favorite Stones performances actually.

Was that the tour where the band took a cigarette break while Mick licked Lisa's toes? That was funny once or twice, but as the tour progressed that schtick seemed to go on forever. Some versions were clocking in at around 13 minutes or so. It was interminable.
18th November 2007 12:21 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

They are, although the wide appeal of SMU has always baffled me.

It ticks a lot of the right boxes - great riff, superbly recorded (Tattoo You is the best SOUNDING Stones record ever IMO), but as a song it's never struck me as more than "OK". One of the weaker songs on a great album.

'Miss You' was a terrific record. I still love the original. However, it ceased to be listenable live after 1982. The versions on the BTB and ABB tours were the absolute nadir and the ultimate waste-of-time piss-break of any Stones shows I've ever seen. (it wasnt that bad on the few versions played on 'Licks' though)

Theyre probably the two Stones songs that I wouldnt care to see performed live ever again - even though I did hear a few good SMU's this summer.

i dont agree with Miss You from St louis 98, that is true entertainment.

with regards to SMU - i know what u mean in that its quite disposable as a song, but the lyrics are excellent
19th November 2007 10:46 AM
Nasty Habits Indian Girl rules, fools!

Hold Back
Might As Well Get Juiced
Fool to Cry
Luxury (actually, no, I don't understand why anyone would not like that one)
19th November 2007 11:31 AM
polytoxic 100 Years Ago for sure, although I think it should be a warhorse. Citadel, which I can understand people not liking simply because of the album it's on, is one their best riffs and I can never understand why it doesn't get more props. My Stones guilty pleasures: Tie You Up. Send It To Me, Might As Well Get Juiced, She Saw Me Coming, Everything Is Turning To Gold.
19th November 2007 11:36 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Indian Girl rules, fools!

Hold Back
Might As Well Get Juiced
Fool to Cry
Luxury (actually, no, I don't understand why anyone would not like that one)

Word my NC living, turning your back on wicca, vinyl loving brother
19th November 2007 11:44 AM
Joey
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

That's the kind of posting that just can't be imitated by any knock offs no matter how hard they try!

Bless you mrhipfl .....

God gave me a ' gift ' and then he gave me your sweet sweet love ( And the love of all my fellow Stonesian Brothers & Sisters ) .

Jacky !
19th November 2007 11:57 AM
UGot2Rollme Gunface (rocks my socks off)
19th November 2007 12:21 PM
bilsim Pretty much everything! She Was Hot is actually in my top ten Stones songs, I love Too Much Blood, One Hit to the Body and Fight from the lesser loves period. Every track on Steel Wheels (people don't like Hold on to your hat!), Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon except Might As Well Get Juiced, the new songs from Forty Licks (Keys to your love I ADORE, A Bigger Bang is a great album IMO. So there you go, I like the later stuffas much as the 60s stuff. And to the original poster, 100 years ago is a great track.
19th November 2007 01:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Hold Back

Wash your mouth out with soap!!
19th November 2007 02:29 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Wash your mouth out with soap!!

Be bold be bold be bold baby!

Choke on that!

19th November 2007 02:34 PM
speedfreakjive Flip The Switch, better live though
19th November 2007 06:03 PM
glencar
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Emotional Rescue is just ballsy. The entire thing is hot. It was a one two punch for me. SomeGirls with the jab and then ER with the uppercut. Good times, damn good times.
Don't understand.
[Edited by Some Guy]

Yes, that RW bassline is sublime!
19th November 2007 06:05 PM
glencar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote & glencar edited:
Indian Girl rules, fools!

Might As Well Get Juiced(actually, no, I don't understand why anyone would not like that one)

20th November 2007 02:35 AM
IanBillen
Gazza wrote:

"A "bad Stones album" is still better than a "good" album by almost anyone else."

-amen to that-. Even their mediocre songs and albums are mediocre by "Rolling Stones standards".

Which.... is an extermely high standard. Other bands are not always expected to put out anything within a real close margin of The Stones.

Let's agree to this>The Stones are ALWAYS under a microscope and are EXPECTED to put out at least "good" material and "The Rolling Stones standard" I speak of is taken into consideration. So they are always expected to bring us quality, real material that kicks of a certain standard. As far as basically all other bands they aren't "expected of" like the Stones are.

Ian
20th November 2007 08:32 AM
JohnLeeHacker "Through the lonely nights"
Songs on "betwween the buttons"
3 K. Richards songs on BTB.

And "Continental drift": i expect an album in this style of music, not inevitabily experimental, but a mix with primals songs and new technologies.
They can create the rock/blues of the 21th century, only the R. Stones can do that.
I am waiting.
20th November 2007 10:15 AM
nanatod
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
GHS is my personal favorite Stones album.

Seconded.

And my favorite part of it is the percussion in Silver Train.
20th November 2007 01:29 PM
guitarman53 I've found in my life, there's a lot of people who like the Stones music, but don't like them, a lot of people I've met like that, there's the old "they got to be the ugliest band in the world" saying from people, a lot of people are turned off by Mick, & so on, the Stones are the original rebellious rock band, & still are to this day.
20th November 2007 10:52 PM
pagey666.6 There's lot....I like a lot of the "unpopular" songs/albums because I never hear them on the radio or at parties all the time. Obviously I love JJF, BS, SFTD etc, but I hardly listen to them on my own.

I like TSMR...but I love 2ooo Man & Citadel.
A lot of Buttons, especially Miss Amanda Jones, Yesterdays Papers, Something Happened To Me Yesterday, Backstreet Girl
GHS is really great...especially Dancing With Mr. D, Coming Down Again, 100 Years Ago and Winter.
Black & Blue doesn't kill me, but can't argue with Memory Motel and Hand Of Fate
Dirty Work is underrated....One Hit, Fight, and Sleep Tonight are particular favorites
Voodoo Lounge is real good.....in particular New Faces and Thru and Thru

A few stray tracks.......
A lot of the 66-67 stuff...but Sittin On A Fence, We Love You
Monkey Man (until the Voodoo tour, this one was fairly obscure)
Moonlight Mile & Sway
Child Of The Moon
Sweet Black Angel
When The Whip Comes Down (Sucking in the 70's live version)
Before They Make Me Run
Undercover and Too Much Blood (not killed on the whole Undercover album too much though)
Emotional Rescue (love the groove)
Dance Pt 1 and If I Was A Dancer (see above reasoning)
Jump On Top Of Me

Time Waits For No One (Taylor's amazing guitar work)
Losing My Touch (one of my fave Keith tracks)

Speaking of which.....Talk Is Cheap!!!!! With special mention of Locked Away......

Sorry this is so long...but there is a lot of stuff to cover....and I am sure that I am forgetting a lot of it!!!!

21st November 2007 06:55 PM
Jaggedblues Fingerprint File
21st November 2007 10:22 PM
Glimmer Twin Rough Justice and most of the songs off A Bigger Bang. Rough Justice stands out in the top ten of all time Stones greats.
21st November 2007 10:27 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl "Steets of Love" and "Hard Woman"
23rd November 2007 06:13 AM
gc And what about "Hand Of Fate"? I think it's great!! My favourite song on "Black And blue"
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)