ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL (México) - 1st March 2006
© and thanks Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WSJ article on "Best of Mick Jagger" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th November 2007 05:10 PM
Mikey On a Roll, Without the Stones
By JIM FUSILLI
November 15, 2007; Page D7

Mick Jagger is one of rock's iconic figures, but since 1962 his name has conjured the image of a rail-thin man, preening and peacocking across the stage as he sings in front of the Rolling Stones. Though he's recorded four albums and many other tracks under his own name, the 64-year-old is rarely thought of as a solo artist.

"The Very Best of Mick Jagger" (Rhino) presents him minus the Stones, and the surprise of this strong 17-track set is not that he's good, but that this quality work somehow slipped by us. Mr. Jagger is more than a cultural icon. He's a talented musician and songwriter.

Mick Jagger
"Rock fans get very invested in image and iconography," he told me recently when he called from his home in London. "It's great, but it gets in the way. It works for you in some ways, but it doesn't in other ways. People say, 'Oh, that sounds like the Stones.' Or, 'it doesn't.' . . . But I see it all as part of a whole," he said. "I'm a singer and music's important to me, and I've got to deliver the songs."

The compilation's oldest track is 1970's "Memo From Turner" from the film "Performance," in which Mr. Jagger starred, and the newest is 2004's "Old Habits Die Hard" from the film "Alfie." Three tracks are culled from two solo albums from the mid-1980s, when Mr. Jagger and band mate Keith Richards had a public spat. "I started to think I wasn't working hard enough," said Mr. Jagger of that period in the '80s. "But then it became fun to have another avenue of expression. It's something you can do any time you want. It's not like a second job."

He told me a French rock critic once confessed to him that he rejected Mr. Jagger's first solo efforts because he thought it meant the Stones were breaking up. Indeed, Mr. Jagger chose not to promote the Stones' '86 release, "Dirty Work," in favor of recording a solo disc. Now, he says, "I have different types of work -- not just music, but also film production. Whatever I do, I'm focused on that."

The Very Best of Mick Jagger" doesn't unfold chronologically, nor do the most familiar tunes come first. Perhaps the two most recognizable songs, his duet with David Bowie on "Dancing in the Street" and "Don't Look Back" with Peter Tosh, are tucked in down the line. His biggest solo hit, "Just Another Night," is the third track.

"I programmed it like it was a show set list," he said of the album. "I wanted that sort of wave to it. It starts off strong. I didn't put too many ballads on it. Though I don't know anyone who listens to CDs in order any more."

There are obvious echoes of the Stones in the collection: The instrumental bridge in the powerful opener "God Gave Me Everything" evokes "Gimme Shelter"; the "Miss You"-like falsetto in "Sweet Thing" also features a solo by saxophonist Bobby Keyes, a frequent Stones contributor; and there are nods to the jangly 12-bar blues that the Stones still play better than anybody in rock.

But perhaps the strengths of his solo efforts are best revealed by the disc's three previously unreleased tracks: a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Checkin' Up on My Baby"; "Charmed Life" from the '93 sessions for his third solo work, "Wandering Spirit"; and "Too Many Cooks," produced by John Lennon and written by Willie Dixon.

At the suggestion of producer Rick Rubin, "Checkin' Up on My Baby" was recorded in '93 with the Red Devils, a Los Angeles-based blues band. When Mr. Jagger was growing up in Dartford, Kent, "Sonny Boy wasn't one of my favorite blues singers," he told me. "Not like Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf. Taj Mahal did a version of the song that I liked."

Does he ever think about doing an album of blues standards? "I do indeed," he replied. "But I always think I have to do things with a twist. Maybe I should throw away the twist."

Though he chose to omit "Charmed Life" from "Wandering Spirit," Mr. Jagger now concedes it's a strong track. For the compilation, he remixed it with producer Ashley Beedle. His daughter Karis added a backing vocal. "I forgot to send it to her," he said, chiding himself. "I'd better do that tonight."

"Too Many Cooks," the Lennon-produced track, came from a series of jams held in 1973 in Los Angeles. A variety of musicians turned up at the Record Plant, Mr. Jagger recalled. On this date, Jesse Ed Davis and Danny Kortchmar played guitar, Al Kooper keyboards, Jack Bruce bass and Jim Keltner drums. "We were just having fun. There must be tons of recordings of jams from those sessions. I don't know what happened to them."

Mr. Jagger says he's recovered from almost two years on the road with the Stones. He's co-producing a remake of "The Women," the 1939 film -- he was in Boston not long ago to celebrate with cast and crew -- and working with Martin Scorsese on the finishing touches to "Shine a Light," a documentary about the Stones coming out next April. As for the band, "I just saw Keith and Charlie [Watts] yesterday," he said. "Yeah, everybody's fine."

As for his music, "I'm about to start writing songs," he said. Whether for the Stones or future solo projects, he didn't know.

Mr. Fusilli is the Journal's rock and pop music critic.

15th November 2007 05:12 PM
Some Guy I forgot about this album.
15th November 2007 06:28 PM
gotdablouse These guys always crack me up with their "Mr" Jagger here "Mr" Jagger there ;-)
Charmed Life a strong track, huh...

I guess the good news is that he's going to be writing songs, but I think we already knew that, the question is what kind of songs, the thoughtful LIND type, funky RFD typ or the idiotic SSMC type !
15th November 2007 07:02 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
These guys always crack me up with their "Mr" Jagger here "Mr" Jagger there ;-)
Charmed Life a strong track, huh...

I guess the good news is that he's going to be writing songs, but I think we already knew that, the question is what kind of songs, the thoughtful LIND type, funky RFD typ or the idiotic SSMC type !

At this point he will not be writing more songs like LIND.
15th November 2007 07:14 PM
fireontheplatter good article

i would consider buying this cd if that silly song, charmed life, wasn't on it.
15th November 2007 09:33 PM
Mel Belli Bobby Keys on "Sweet Thing"? Whoops. What was that guy's name? Courtney Pine? ... And the "Mr." Jagger isn't up to the writer. It's the WSJ's house style, same as the New York Times.
15th November 2007 10:11 PM
Dino37 Too many cooks is the nuts.
15th November 2007 10:31 PM
IanBillen Again,

As I keep talking about....Yes, the Stones WILL record a brand new album. Just business as usual for them.

Mick says here he is about to start writing songs but is not sure whether this is for The Stones or himself... my guess is it will be for the Stones. He has just compiled a solo greatest hits album and all. Not to mention The Stones are going to tour Asia.

Key point> *He was just with Keith and Charlie yesterday....hmmmm

Gazza, the math isn't very hard to do here. Talk to us about this.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
15th November 2007 10:34 PM
mojoman
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I forgot about this album.

i'm trying to forget.........
16th November 2007 07:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Again,

As I keep talking about....Yes, the Stones WILL record a brand new album. Just business as usual for them.

'as usual' - 4 times in 21 years?

quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Mick says here he is about to start writing songs but is not sure whether this is for The Stones or himself... my guess is it will be for the Stones. He has just compiled a solo greatest hits album and all. Not to mention The Stones are going to tour Asia.

yes, Ian. The 'key' is that its YOUR guess. MICK doesnt say. he's a writer. Its what he does.

quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Key point> *He was just with Keith and Charlie yesterday....hmmmm

Gazza, the math isn't very hard to do here. Talk to us about this.

Ian

And this what to do with me, exactly?

yes, Ian - maybe theyre planning a tour...remember I mentioned that before and you couldnt grasp why on earth they would do so so soon? Now youre telling me "I told you so" ?

Your 'math' is based on what, exactly - they live in the same country part of the time, and have a business arrangement that requires them to get together every so often to discuss future plans.

No need to get the tissues out just yet to wipe up the tell tale signs of all this excitement.

There's more likelihood that Keith was just getting Mick and Charlie to counter-sign his application for a new passport than there is of the Stones making a new record before February 2008
[Edited by Gazza]
16th November 2007 12:06 PM
glencar That "whoosh" yall just heard was the sound of that post going over IanBillen's pointy lil head.
16th November 2007 12:08 PM
Some Guy Ian is keepin the faith.
16th November 2007 12:12 PM
glencar Faith in stupidity?
16th November 2007 12:14 PM
gimmekeef Graet..articles like this will just encourage Jagger to keep the Dogshit in the Doorway....
16th November 2007 12:16 PM
glencar It's the WSJ; their circulation is way down.
16th November 2007 12:24 PM
mojoman
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Graet..articles like this will just encourage Jagger to keep the Dogshit in the Doorway....

since mick jagger is such a astute businessman its no suprise that it would be reviewed by the WSJ.....
16th November 2007 01:14 PM
aladdinstory it would be pointless for mick to continue his irrelevant solo recording career.
16th November 2007 02:06 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

'as usual' - 4 times in 21 years?

yes, Ian. The 'key' is that its YOUR guess. MICK doesnt say. he's a writer. Its what he does.

And this what to do with me, exactly?

yes, Ian - maybe theyre planning a tour...remember I mentioned that before and you couldnt grasp why on earth they would do so so soon? Now youre telling me "I told you so" ?

Your 'math' is based on what, exactly - they live in the same country part of the time, and have a business arrangement that requires them to get together every so often to discuss future plans.

No need to get the tissues out just yet to wipe up the tell tale signs of all this excitement.

There's more likelihood that Keith was just getting Mick and Charlie to counter-sign his application for a new passport than there is of the Stones making a new record before February 2008

I am not speaking of the asia tour. I am saying they may of been discussing making a new album or both.

No. There definately wont be a new Stones album before Febuary 2008. But I think there definately will be another.

I surely don't think they are quitting recording albums just yet.

I think they have room for 1 maybe two more.

Ian
[Edited by Gazza]

16th November 2007 02:12 PM
Gazza I hope so too, but as they dont have a record deal and only one of their two songwriters appears to be productive, I wouldnt hold your breath, unfortunately...
16th November 2007 02:27 PM
oldkr
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I hope so too, but as they dont have a record deal and only one of their two songwriters appears to be productive, I wouldnt hold your breath, unfortunately...

Michael Cohl just set up a record company... and appearances can be deceptive!

OLDKR
16th November 2007 02:38 PM
Gazza
quote:
oldkr wrote:

1) Michael Cohl just set up a record company...

2) and appearances can be deceptive!

OLDKR

1) Presume you mean the Live Nation thingy. Guess thats where they'll end up if they do anything more.

2) Having lived across the pond for a wee while now, I'm sure you're familiar with the expression "Shit, or get off the pot!"

Cohl's ambition of getting a stake in every facet of the Stones' existence is almost fulfilled. In all honesty, they may as well go the whole hog and see if he has any natural songwriting ability.
[Edited by Gazza]
16th November 2007 06:08 PM
glencar If Cohl co-wrote with them, every song would be about money...and tarps!
16th November 2007 06:09 PM
mojoman
quote:
glencar wrote:
If Cohl co-wrote with them, every song would be about money...and tarps!

i thought every song was about money?
17th November 2007 02:18 AM
IanBillen
quote:
mojoman wrote:

i thought every song was about money?

lol... thats kinda funny, can be true at times but still a funny response.

Ian
17th November 2007 02:25 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I hope so too, but as they dont have a record deal and only one of their two songwriters appears to be productive, I wouldnt hold your breath, unfortunately...

Two song writers are productive together...compare GITD to ABB. An incredible difference to the point of those being leagues apart.

Keith may not be as productive as he used to be alone, as a solo gig but... he is the element that Jagger needs when creating material.

In ABB the proof is in the pudding.

I don't care what you, or anyone assumes, Keith had a whole hell of a lot to do with the song writing results of ABB, not Mick solely.

And maybe the boys were speaking of getting, or scouting for a new contract, we don't know. What I do know is they plan to record again sometime.

Their recent talk of no retirement plans at all and future touring should make this a non-question at this point.

Ian

17th November 2007 02:26 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

lol... thats kinda funny, can be true at times but still a funny response.

Ian

Your avatar is unwatchable.
17th November 2007 02:41 AM
IanBillen
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Your avatar is unwatchable.

I know, I don't understand what happend with it. I will get another soon thanks.

Ian
17th November 2007 03:08 AM
mirfälltkeinnameein [quote]IanBillen wrote:

Two song writers are productive together...compare GITD to ABB. An incredible difference to the point of those being leagues apart.

Keith may not be as productive as he used to be alone, as a solo gig but... he is the element that Jagger needs when creating material.

I don't care what you, or anyone assumes, Keith had a whole hell of a lot to do with the song writing results of ABB, not Mick solely.

And maybe the boys were speaking of getting, or scouting for a new contract, we don't know. What I do know is they plan to record again sometime.

why do people always compare the solo with the band?
the reason why it sounds different is, because Mick WANTS it to be different. He does not want to make Stones records when he works with other people. he says that in every interview: the reason for doing solo-records is to do songs differently.

17th November 2007 03:19 AM
Dino37 They are planning another album. I just hope it takes a more proper direction - thick with the blues and a more mature approach man.

Keith needs to refocus. Can he do it? Not sure...

Then again, I'm drunk as hell right now so what the fuck do I know?
17th November 2007 03:27 AM
IanBillen
quote:
mirf�lltkeinnameein wrote:
[quote]IanBillen wrote:

why do people always compare the solo with the band?
the reason why it sounds different is, because Mick WANTS it to be different. He does not want to make Stones records when he works with other people. he says that in every interview: the reason for doing solo-records is to do songs differently.

Well yes,...and no. Sure Mick wants his solo stuff to be different over all. But this not discredit Keith's song writing chops, or his crucial element quality songwriting input when working with Mick. Mick's writing is altered, added to, and changed when Keith is doing this with him.
No two people really write just alike. So Mick working/writing with someone eles would not be the same result. When he works with Keith Richards at his side the result is that Stones style we have come to love.

for instance when Mick writes a Rock tune alone such as "God gave me everything", it "can be" stonesy in a way", but is still not truly Stones like in structure "all the time". Some times sure, but not all the time.

When Mick and Keith write tunes together it is like flour and water making dough as to compared to some flour with splashes of water creating a glob of total goo mess.

Did you ever notice that the best output from Mick Jagger has been when he writes with Keith or Keith has added his bit to the tunes.

There is a reason for this.

Ian

Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)