ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL (México) - 1st March 2006
© and thanks Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WSJ article on "Best of Mick Jagger" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
21st November 2007 07:25 AM
speedfreakjive theyre not a working band in terms of songwriting now IMHO, because even if they record a few more new songs that doesn't count for me. To be a working songwriting partnership they'd need to write a new album
21st November 2007 07:04 PM
Gazza It's also nothing to feel bad about if Keith isnt that prolific anymore. Most songwriters have a limited period of inspiration - Keith has been writing for almost 45 years and probably peaked some 35-40 years ago.

All of these people get periods where they have writers block or some kind of drought. Sometimes they get it back, sometimes not. Happens to them all sooner or later - Chuck Berry, Dylan, Springsteen, Townshend, Young - you name them.

Its unreasonable to expect BOTH Mick and Keith in their mid 60's to still be writing prolifically. For one of them to be able to do it is pretty good, even if we can debate as to the merits of the work he's producing (I still think he has his moments)

For the length of career Keith has had, the body of work he has to his name and the physical toll due to the life he has led, I dont really expect him to be prolific when he's at an age when most men would be putting their feet up. The fact that he's still able to perform at a (mostly) reasonable level is a minor miracle in itself - and long may it continue.

It'd be great if he was still able to create in a way he used to, but its not like he (or the Stones) owe us any more music. Whilst the last decade or so has been somewhat inactive on that front, we've still got more than we could ever have dreamed of when we started folowing them.

If the Stones in 2007 are primarily a band driven creatively by Jagger, with occasional contributions by Keith, so be it. If they're able to continue to make records, I couldnt care who is mostly writing them so long as they're good.
22nd November 2007 02:10 AM
aladdinstory i think the band will never release anything embraced by their fanbase. they've reached the point where everything they do will be compared to their past works. few fans will embrace it as anything more than a band going through the motions to fulfill obligations. it's like bell curve and the stones are in a permanent descent, no matter how good their future releases are they will be met with a)indifference; b)disdain or c)it's ok, but i wish it sounded like...(exile, sg, tty, etc...). maybe that's a cynical viewpoint, but i think it's also a realistic one. it's not a criticism of the band or fans either, just an assessment of a band who's legacy, for better or worse, now far overshadows their present and future.
22nd November 2007 10:47 AM
gimmekeef If they can only come up with 3-4 decent tracks then maybe its time to look at returning to some covers.In the past its worked very well.And maybe let Ronnie have a crack at 1-2 tunes.One of the challenges bands face with cds versus vinyl is the need for an extra 5-6 songs per album.Thats led to a ton of filler.I'm never expecting another Sticky or Exile but wouldnt mind one last Some Girls....
22nd November 2007 11:50 AM
Poison Dart They could still pull off a late in the game career capping/mature sounding classic record.

They (Mick)need to stop trying to compete with people who are old enough to be their grandchildren.

The right producer could get it out of them if they were willing to put the work in.

Jagger still has a lot of creative juice still in the tank.
[Edited by Poison Dart]
23rd November 2007 05:54 AM
gotdablouse Yes, and good songs too, amazingly enough, but they get drowned by the fillers with stupid lyrics or by the production orare hurt by boring playing. They need to get help in the studio like they did for B2B, Waddy's guitar, Benmont's piano, etc...
23rd November 2007 08:05 AM
Poison Dart They also need to do a better job of editing their albums.

ABB would have been better off if filler like "Look What the Cat Dragged in", "Driving Too Fast" "Sweet Neocon","Biggest Mistake" + "She Saw Me Coming" were simply left off the album.

The same could be said for "Voodoo Lounge" and "Bridges to Babylon"
23rd November 2007 08:38 AM
gotdablouse Very true, that would have helped give it more consistency, at least on the level of B2B. "Biggest Mistake" is ok though by me, I would remove "Dangerous Beauty" too, or extend that promsing 5 note solo to 1+ minute or a full jam like CYHMK.

The sad thing about ABB is that it sounds so "formatted" and pretty lifeless frankly. These guys should feel free to just let it all out, heck they did it 35 years ago on Exile !
23rd November 2007 05:47 PM
Dino37
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:
i think the band will never release anything embraced by their fanbase. they've reached the point where everything they do will be compared to their past works. few fans will embrace it as anything more than a band going through the motions to fulfill obligations. it's like bell curve and the stones are in a permanent descent, no matter how good their future releases are they will be met with a)indifference; b)disdain or c)it's ok, but i wish it sounded like...(exile, sg, tty, etc...). maybe that's a cynical viewpoint, but i think it's also a realistic one. it's not a criticism of the band or fans either, just an assessment of a band who's legacy, for better or worse, now far overshadows their present and future.

Bullshit - sorta.

What fan base are you referencing? The bandwagon ones who pop to see them tour, or the lifers who have Stones in the playlist 24/7?

The Stones newer material is not all that good - period. There have been some exceptions, I thought Saint of Me and Out of Control were solid, and I actually love Slipping Away and Continental Drift, but overall (and note those last two are actually oldies by today's standards) the newest stuff the Stones came out with is trying to hard to rock (Mick's influence) when they should be now fully embracing their roots of RnB. Slow the shit down, and do an album for adults by adults. It's one thing to want to be a relative kid when your are in your 40's but c'mon now, they are gonna be pushing 70 soon. Mick - you are a physical marvel to be sure, but you are OLD now dude. No shame in that. Trick up the image to reflect that and have fun with it.

And make some kick ass music. Fuck the superficial fans who just like the old hits. Play the songs you still have left in you, not the ones that simply allow you to cash those million-dollar checks.

P.S. Keith's gotta really work on his health now. He has been slipping badly the last few years and its really starting to show. Either take care of the health and play the shit out of some good tunes or pack it in and stay home.
24th November 2007 03:15 AM
mirfälltkeinnameein [quote]Dino37 wrote:

The Stones newer material is not all that good - period. There have been some exceptions, I thought Saint of Me and Out of Control were solid, and I actually love Slipping Away and Continental Drift, but overall (and note those last two are actually oldies by today's standards) the newest stuff the Stones came out with is trying to hard to rock (Mick's influence) when they should be now fully embracing their roots of RnB.

Slow the shit down, and do an album for adults by adults. It's one thing to want to be a relative kid when your are in your 40's but c'mon now, they are gonna be pushing 70 soon. Mick - you are a physical marvel to be sure, but you are OLD now dude. No shame in that. Trick up the image to reflect that and have fun with it.

And make some kick ass music. Fuck the superficial fans who just like the old hits. Play the songs you still have left in you, not the ones that simply allow you to cash those million-dollar checks.

hm, you say, he should write the songs, he still has left in him, and that he should not care about the fans, who want every song to sound as if it was recorded in the 70ies, but on the other side you want to tell him, which songs he should write and which not? which songs suit for his age?
i don´t think, that he wants to compete with somebody. the Sones made "new" music in the 60s (how do you write that? 60s, 60ies? i can´t find my dictionary), they tried new things in the seventies, why do many fans want them so stop here? they have always been interested in all sort of music, why should they only always try to create the "stones-sound" of seventies? i also don´t like much of the 80s and 90s, but i acept that this is, what THEY want to do.
(btw, does not Bigger Bang sound much like a "typical" Stones´ album?)
24th November 2007 03:42 AM
IanBillen
I think The Stones can, and do at times still make great stuff.

Steel wheels had some good songs but I think it sounds a little forced. Still not terrible. Continental Drift showed really good experimentation (even though they dabbled with that before).

I love Voodoo Lounge.

BTB was a good album but not one of my all time favs. I still pop it in once in a blue moon and I do appreciate what they did with it. Not 110% my cup of tea when it comes to Stones albums but it showed quality work over-all.

Fourty Licks tracks were "eh-OK". Kinda too "poppy" over-all. I like Keys to Your Love=Good song. Don't Stop=not bad.

ABB is solid baby. It rocks.

Whats next?...

Ian

Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)