ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Crushed Pearl Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-21-02 01:00 PM
jb If they toured in 86, no 89..and i think we all agree that trour was a special event...the re-birth of the Stones.
11-21-02 01:16 PM
100 Years Ago yeah, I agree, first saw 'em in '89

I don't think an '86 would've been a disaster musically, which has been a common perception driven by Mick's, "band couldn't cross the Champs-Elyes" comments, but true it might have also been the end of the Stones, considering the Mick/Keef friction...but hell, the brothers Davies hated each other and they toured

wait a minute, I just thought of something the DW album cover, that whole Miami Vice pastel look, that would've probably been the look of the tour

shit I'm glad they didn't tour in '86!
11-21-02 02:30 PM
Nellcote Dirty Work.
Yes, it has potholes, however, gems also.
There again, I've not met a Stones album I've not enjoyed fully. You see, that is how it is for a Stones fanatic.
Had it with You, One Hit, Shuffle, Back to Zero.
Yes, Strickly Memphis SHOULD have been on the album.
At the end of the day, this was the "Stu" tribute album, thus any criticism towards this album should be cast
adrift.

[Edited by Nellcote]
11-21-02 02:31 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
100 Years Ago wrote:

wait a minute, I just thought of something the DW album cover, that whole Miami Vice pastel look, that would've probably been the look of the tour

shit I'm glad they didn't tour in '86!

Yeah, I gotta say that the only Stone on the cover of that album that looks at all cool is Keith... just because he looks like he's gonna kill someone - probably because they made him wear that stupid pink get-up. "Make me wear this shite, will ya? I'll string you up and cut yer balls off!"

None of them look at all comfortable, except maybe Mick... even if it looks like Keith is kneeing him in the crotch.
11-21-02 11:37 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
justforyou wrote:
You're talking trendsetting wild revolutionary tracks there Gypsy...DW, SW and VL can't compare, but DW is the least tame of them to me.

Che Guevara was revolutionary, Satisfaction, JJF & HTW were commercial forms of artistic expression. That's what music should always be about, reaching as many ears as possible. I think it's/was naive to expect that people were/will ever man the barricades over a song. DW may cop too much of a caning from Stones fans, because as I stated their own lofty standards often trip them up, but Steel Wheels is so obviously a better album in all regards, musically, lyrically,(ok! The elephant line requires some serious Jagger slurring),but for ideas as well it far out paces it's predecessor. Above all, for all it's polish, in parts, it shows a band at least trying to BE A BAND again. Hearts For Sale, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away,Terrifying, and the outtakes could have graced any eighties album, even Tattoo. I can only get into one song on DW, and that's a cover. But as another wise sage on this board would so aptly say, "taste where artistic expression is concerned, is purely subjective"...God Bless!
11-22-02 01:33 AM
100 Years Ago yeah what you say about artistic expression being subjective is definitely true

i don't nor didn't want to debate the merits of DW or SW, my only point with this thread has been my enjoyment of the tracks from the DW sessions, and how the quality of that music from those sessions have made me re-think the DW era of the Stones. After listening to this and Jamming with Stu, it seems the Stones weren't in such disarray as most think. The Stones sounds great, totally on and into what they are doing, even Mick. That is not the commonly held perception of these sessions
11-22-02 04:51 AM
gypsymofo60 Whatever the merits, or otherwise of DW, or SW, someone said that all criticisms of DW should be "cast adrift" because it was a tribute to Stu. OK! I'm not connected to the band in any way shape, or form but, I've always thought that if that was their idea of a tribute,(how many seconds of boogie, woogie piano at album close?),then I'm not surprised that they elbowed him so easily in '63. I think considering that guys unswerving devotion to HIS little three chord wonders, they could have given him more recognition than some brief outro on Dirty Work.
11-22-02 05:52 AM
F505 Jamming with Stu: the best track on an album that is a complete failure and a waste of time, energy and talent. The cover sleeve is as poor as the music.
Steel Wheels is a little bit better with at least one brilliant song: Continental Drift and a lot of songs that are okay but not stunning....
11-22-02 09:16 AM
justforyou Complete failure my ass! It has way more bite than SW, just 'Had it with you' alone beats all of SW and VL. I'd love to hear the outtakes from Crushed Pearl.
11-22-02 09:28 AM
stonedinaustralia "crushed pearl" - sounds like an exotic colour - anybody have it to trade??

tia

sia

Page: 1 2