ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Henry Diltz - Visit his exhibition at the Artchives Gallery in NYC

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Crushed Pearl Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-19-02 08:15 PM
100 Years Ago Been listening to this DW outtake collection the last few days...anyone else have it? Had It With You cooks, Dirty Work raw and Fight brutal, just ferocious, Mick screams like a vicious hyena...hell, even Winning Ugly is listenable, plus it has Going to Memphis, why oh why was that NOT released as a single!

DW rocks but these versions are electic guitar shock therapy, anger and hatred never sounded so good
11-19-02 08:35 PM
full moon Dirty Work is very good....
11-19-02 08:45 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
full moon wrote:
Dirty Work is very good....

No, "One Hit" and "Had It With You" are good. The rest of the album, except maybe "Fight", "Dirty Work" and on good days "Too Rude" if they were to be reproduced without the eighties sound, deserves to be roasted.
11-19-02 08:55 PM
full moon Come on man... Hold Back and Harlem Shuffle rock too....And Keef with Sleep Tonight.. The album is much maligned, but fuck it...
11-19-02 09:56 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
full moon wrote:
Come on man... Hold Back and Harlem Shuffle rock too....And Keef with Sleep Tonight.. The album is much maligned, but fuck it...

"Sleep Tonight" is Keith's worst. Ever.

"Harlem Shuffle"s good for a laugh. Once. Then it gets into the tacky realm. "Hold Back"... once in awhile. Not enough to be saved. The bass on this album is good, I'll give it that. Even on "Winning Ugly". But a good bass line does not a good song make.

-tSYX --- Back to Zeee-ro... *puke*
11-19-02 11:03 PM
Child of the Moon The way I've always seen it, Dirty Work is like the great, big "Fuck you" to the fans who bash it. It's like Keef giving two fingers at once, and Bill laughing at the sight of it.

No offense, Xyz. I used to hate the thing, too. Then, my Stonesian brothers and sisters, I saw the light - "You burst in, in a blaze of lights, you unzipper the dark!"
11-20-02 01:06 AM
gypsymofo60 I'm with the Savage Youngun on this, Dirty Work's the worst Stones album of the lot. A band at rock bottom, no togetherness at all. Mick reluctantly doin' his thing, and Keith doin' his, and it's quite obvious who was, and who wasn't interested. I like Harlem Shuffle, and at a pinch Sleep Tonight, but the rest is painfull.
11-20-02 03:49 AM
sonicrock i think that is quite good lp and crushed pearl is far better agree with 100 years
11-20-02 11:33 AM
T&A If DW isn't there worst album - what is? C'mon folks - I will occassionally spin this '86 disaster (it is the Stones, after all), but let's not be dillusional - by Stones' standards this album blows....
11-20-02 01:42 PM
sonicrock non no steel wheels is the worst lp in my point of vue
11-20-02 01:47 PM
RubyFriday I love Steel Wheels
11-20-02 01:47 PM
100 Years Ago it may be, I don't know, I like it better than SW, but the outtakes and alternate versions kick the asses of many beautiful children and ugly grown men! surprised they are this good, considering all the negative talk about the sessions--
11-20-02 01:54 PM
padre Yes, it does. Find some loser, find some jerk...
11-20-02 01:56 PM
padre You're too fats for me. The comment above was for T&A. DW does blow.
11-20-02 01:57 PM
padre "fats"? Watta hell's the matter with me? It's FAST. I'm outta here. Not my day obviously.
11-20-02 09:15 PM
gypsymofo60 Although they,(that's DW & SW)come from the same era, I think Steel Wheels is a much better album. I tried to get into DW, but it just never worked for me, whereas, I couldn't stop playing SW. SW was probably the last official release I played, and played till I wore it out. Still Dirty Work is still alot better than alot of the crap released during 1986, as someone said, The Stones sometimes are the victims of their own lofty standards.
11-20-02 09:20 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hmm. I don't really much care for either Steel Wheels or Dirty Work.

I may have to give the Wheels a spin to find out which album I really dislike more. Steel Wheels does have a few great numbers on it, but many divinely inspired terrors as well. Nothing, however, approaches the suckage of "Back To Zero" or "Winning Ugly". I think both "Slipping Away" and "Can't Be Seen" are better live songs. Then again, most of Keith's library seems to benefit from live runs - I don't much care for this tour's version of "Happy", though. He's sleepwalkin' through it.

-tSYX --- Never gonna turn ya loose!
11-20-02 09:41 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Hmm. I don't really much care for either Steel Wheels or Dirty Work.

I may have to give the Wheels a spin to find out which album I really dislike more. Steel Wheels does have a few great numbers on it, but many divinely inspired terrors as well. Nothing, however, approaches the suckage of "Back To Zero" or "Winning Ugly". I think both "Slipping Away" and "Can't Be Seen" are better live songs. Then again, most of Keith's library seems to benefit from live runs - I don't much care for this tour's version of "Happy", though. He's sleepwalkin' through it.

-tSYX --- Never gonna turn ya loose!

I hear ya!(as you Americans say), there were a few shockers on SW, but although only three years seperate the two albums, they are light years apart IMO. This,(again IMO), is due to the attitude the group as a unit brought to each recording session. I don't think Mick was remotely interested in DW, and I think his contributions were nothing more than 'She's The Boss' rejects. Neither album comes anywhere near Tattoo, or Some Girls, but I'd rather have Steel Wheels on the desert island than Dirty Work or Voodoo Lounge for that matter.
11-20-02 09:56 PM
full moon Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge have many good moments and I can't really find any real Negatives from either one...
11-20-02 10:04 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Nothing, however, approaches the suckage of "Back To Zero" or "Winning Ugly

Okay, I'll give you that. I've really never been crazy for either of those tracks. I've seriously tried to enjoy them, but I just can't. In fact, even Harlem Shuffle is one I'm not a fan of. Everything elsem though, I dig.

Loved ya in the lean years, loved ya in the fat ones
Yo' a mean mistreat-a, yo' a dirty, dirty rat SCUM!

Not, you Xyz. ;-)
11-20-02 10:10 PM
Boomhauer I put Dirty Work in my car CD player and cranked up the motherfucker.

One Hit to the Body is fuckin' rock, baby!

Tracks I don't care for: Too Rude and Back To Zero.

As for Steel Wheels, I think that "Almost Hear You Sigh" is a very, very good song.
11-20-02 10:17 PM
gypsymofo60 Yeah! Almost Hear You Sigh is definately up there with Wild Horses IMO. It's a brilliant song musically, and lyrically, one of their four best ballad type songs.
11-20-02 10:41 PM
justforyou Dirty Work is full of hard rockin' dirty shuffle rhythms, which appeal more to me than the more polished and commercial sound SW and VL. It gets down to the roots and then kicks some ass...
11-20-02 11:49 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Yeah! Almost Hear You Sigh is definately up there with Wild Horses IMO. It's a brilliant song musically, and lyrically, one of their four best ballad type songs.

Yecccch... too commercial, too slick, I guess, for me. "Angie", "Wild Horses" and "Winter" all seem a bit more real, in terms of Mick's ballads. But as for Stones ballads in general... you can't beat "You Got The Silver". Well, maybe you can. I'll think about it. But that one's up at the top.

That 'commercial' feel can apply to a lot of Steel Wheels. However, you can still find that Dirty Work country-raunch hidden in there ("Hold On To Your Hat", "Break The Spell", and to a lesser extent "Sad Sad Sad"). It's definitely better than Dirty Work, but it's still not great. Some of it's too slick. The only really well-glossed number that does will is "Mixed Emotions", which is why I guess it was their single from this album. "Rock And A Hard Place" does nothing for me.

-tSYX --- In the springtime, when the floods come...
11-21-02 12:56 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:

Yecccch... too commercial, too slick, I guess, for me.

Whew... I though I was all alone in thinking that. "Almost Hear You Sigh" has always bugged me, too. I appreciate the "acoustic Keef-ness" of it, but the rest... I dunno.

Now, "Blinded By Love"... THAT is a good ballad. And, even moreso, "Slipping Away." That one brings tears to my eyes. "All I want is ecstasy/But I ain't geeeeeeeeetin' much!/Just gettin' off on misery/It seems I've lost my touch..."
11-21-02 03:25 AM
Zack In my opinion there is no contest between DW and SW.

SW saved their career, yes it did. Another dud would have put them under for good.

I haven't heard the DW outtakes, but perhaps like ER the best stuff they did at the time did not go on the album for some reason.
11-21-02 04:42 AM
gypsymofo60 I don't have a problem with commercial, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Honky Tonk all commercial, I don't have a problem with slick either, Stanley Clarke's what I call slick. And if Almost Hear You Sigh comes over as slick, so be it! I love it!
11-21-02 08:57 AM
justforyou You're talking trendsetting wild revolutionary tracks there Gypsy...DW, SW and VL can't compare, but DW is the least tame of them to me.
11-21-02 09:19 AM
Moonisup I love dirty work

an angry black album!!
11-21-02 12:54 PM
100 Years Ago I always thought from what I've read that Mick wasn't into the songs and that he did his work separate for DW, but Crushed Pearl CD, proves the opposite...he sounds very into the songs, shouting chord changes, tearing it up vocally and the band sounds great, real raunchy riffs. It makes me wish they had toured in '86, because the Stones, believe it or not, sound white-shit hot on these tracks. Mick's singing bothered me on DW, but his voice is grittier on the outtakes, not as much barking. There's a great rawky roughness to these tracks that was not there on the finished product. Hell, Keith's best songs didn't make DW, check out the songs Crushed Pearl and Deep Love (amazing riff on that one).
Page: 1 2