ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

¡ Saludos de Emilia !
Stones by Ethan Russell, Voodoo Doll with Ethan's by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When/where did you buy your first Stones record? Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-18-02 04:33 PM
F505 I remember buying my first one in 1973 in London.
I was 10 years old and on holiday with my parents. It was a present from them. Ofcourse it was Goat's head soup that had just been released! I even remember the street: Carnaby Street. Still the proud owner of that LP With the striking little poster of the goat's head flaoting in the soup.
11-18-02 04:38 PM
Fiji Joe Just bought? How about stolen? I nabbed a Some Girls 8 track from one of brother's older friends who had himself stolen it from K-Mart...and now look at K-Mart...I feel so ashamed
11-18-02 04:49 PM
Nellcote 1971
Peoples Republic of Massachusettes
Hemp shop named Buddah's Bazzar
Get Your Ya Ya's Out
11-18-02 04:52 PM
sasca About 1987. The Hot Rocks double-album at a supermarket.
11-18-02 04:54 PM
Moonisup when I was 6 days old, I got an LP from my father to make me a fan, he bought it for $7 it's no $ 130, my first cd I bought from my own money was Voodoo lounge and the lp from it also, I was 15 then, I have now all the LP releas from 1963 also
11-18-02 05:57 PM
100 Years Ago Some Girls taped to casette from a friend's LP...first official was Tattoo You record at the local K-Mart
11-18-02 06:28 PM
sonicrock stole tatto you in a shop near my house called gibert jeune not longer exist too much robbery there....so sorry,...
11-18-02 06:29 PM
Honky Tonker For my 13th birthday in 1973, my Mom got me "Goat's Head Soup" on the advice of an uncle (Thanks, Unk!). For some reason known only to my Mom, she also got me a "Statler Brother's" 8-track. Guess which one I listened to?

Clue: This isn't a Statler Brother's website!!!!
[Edited by Honky Tonker]
11-18-02 06:30 PM
~AzQb

Hey Flight505

We'd just done rehearsing in our bass player's basement and all literally sKiPped down to "Crazy Rythyms" r5ecord shop and we all nabbed copies of Some Girls the second the cat who owned the shop had 'em in stock. {run on sentence but who's the English prof around here? {LOL}

Yuppeer LIl Pup, never fucking forget it--no empty circles in the cover, either * )

~

11-18-02 06:59 PM
stonedinaustralia i "liberated" the single "paint it black" from my cousins record collection back in '67 when i was about 9 years old

first stones album i bought is hard to remember - it was either LIB,BB or ya ya's or metamorphisis in about '75 (the year i went from being a casual fan to a hard core nut) - i bought a whole lot of stones that year
11-18-02 07:32 PM
cabledogg2 The summer of '78 i Talked my mom into letting me get the 45rpm of Beast of Burden at the montgomery Wards recor dept......Scott
11-18-02 08:19 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy August 2001, New Caanan CT. My grandmother had brought me home from a camp where a speedfreak friend of mine (poor guy, he's really out of his skull 90% of the time now, not even his fault, he's prescribed the stuff) from NYC introduced me to Let It Bleed. I was so in awe of it I nabbed it from him every chance I got and played the crappy ABKCO CD until it was scratched beyond recognition. I at first panicked because the track listing was incorrect and thought "maybe it's a new edition... man, that'd suck not having "You Can't Always Get What You Want" at the end." But after consoling myself with the fact that I could always program my CD player to play it another way, I shelled out the $17 for it.

It was the same store where I'd bought The White Album a year earlier...

...and from then on I was hooked. Next I bought Beggar's in London, actually, at the Virgin in Picadilly, then Sticky Fingers, Aftermath and Tattoo You back home, then got Exile and December's Children for Christmas.

Damn.

-tSYX --- I got my mind set on you...
11-18-02 08:30 PM
Stonesthrow First album by anybody I bought was The Rolling Stones Now! I think it was sometime during the third Triassic Period, several millenia before the invention of fire.

11-18-02 08:37 PM
Child of the Moon I was already a great fan of the boys when I finally went out and bought my first Stones album. I believe it was December of '98, maybe November, and I had enough cash to get a disc of my own (I'd previously borrowed from my dad and uncle). Went to the local Hastings Entertainment place in Boise, ID, and bought Rock and Roll Circus for $17.00. I went home, explored the luxurious packaging (for me, at the time), and had my socks thoroughly rocked off.

I think the next one I bought on my own was Flashpoint, but I could be wrong. I know I got the Singles Collection for Christmas that year, but that was a present.

Ah, beginnings...
11-18-02 09:14 PM
Scot Rocks Hot Rocks the year 2000, blown away, particularly by the Rambler live version which I will never forget first hearing, hooked from then on. Then there was Sticky Fingers and the rest soon followed...

Mark

11-18-02 09:49 PM
MrJimmy When I was a kid my father was a huge Beatles fan. He had every Beatles lp and 8 track availible at the time. He also had a copy of "Now". I listened to this eight track untill it wore out. He was so happy that I liked Rock N roll that he bought me almost all the their recordings before I was old enough to earn money. I still dont care for the Beatles. The First Record I purchased on my own was The New York Dolls in "Too Much Too Soon".
11-18-02 09:53 PM
tumblingdice Had a cool teacher record Some Girls and Tattoo You onto tape from albums for me to take on my SR. trip. While on the trip I bought Sticky Fingers and Hot Rocks on cassette at, I believe, K-mart. So you don't have to feel so guilty anymore Fiji.
11-18-02 11:41 PM
Nasty Habits Dirty Work.

Columbia House.

First shoplifted cassette:

Hot Rocks.

Wal Mart.

Oversize plastic thingie and all.

First LP:

Aftermath. Mono.

Whizz Records.

Three bucks.

First CD:

Voodoo Lounge

Had to get "Mean Disposition".

First album skipped as a Stones fan:

40 Licks.

11-18-02 11:46 PM
JaggaRichards 1965. Englands Newest Hitmakers. At a local drugstore. One that actually sold over-the-counter drugs. Not hemp etc.!

Man am I old.........
11-19-02 12:26 AM
FPM C10 First Stones album I bought was Thru The Past Darkly with it's oddly shaped cover. It was at Gordon's Department Store in Mifflintown and it had just come out so it was fall '69. I was 12. I asked my mom if she'd buy it for me, as it was only $1.99 - that's what the tag said. Turned out that part of the number had rubbed off and it was $4.99, which was a higher price than albums had been - a dollar higher, and dadgum it that was back when a dollar WAS a dollar - but my mom didn't balk, she paid that insanely high price. FIVE BUCKS! This thing better be good.

Of course, it WAS. I was already a Stones fan - had recently purchased the Honky Tonk Women single (w/pic sleeve) at the same store, and had absorbed my brother's singles of JJF and LSTNT/Ruby Tuesday (also pic sleeve) for a few years.

You know, I coulda sworn I got Let It Bleed first, but I checked the chronology, and that didn't come out until Jan 1970 - which means that everyone who heard "Midnight Rambler" on the '69 tour was hearing it for the FIRST TIME! Geeesh!

Anyway, I was a regular customer at Gordon's, and bought Let It Bleed, Jamming With Edward, and Beggar's Banquet (in that order) over the next six months. These were formative years, o gentle reader, and the young Monkey came through them CHANGED. Throughout the 60s I'd been a Beatle fan, but when the nasty new decade reared its head, it was obvious that I needed to change my allegiance. And change it I did.
11-19-02 12:30 AM
gypsy I remember my mom and dad had a Stones album, and I used to dance around to 'Satisfaction' when I was 2!
[Edited by gypsy]
11-19-02 03:32 AM
dealer squealing The first album i bought was Love You Live in 1987, still one of my favorites. When i heard Brown Sugar from it something happened with me, i still hasn´t recovered.
11-19-02 08:04 AM
Chico IORR.About 3 hours before I saw the boys at Murrayfield Stadium, Scotland in 1999.A historic day in the development of ma life.
11-19-02 02:02 PM
Highwire Rob My first Stones possession was the Angie/Silver Train 45 (1973, Atlantic/ATCO/Cotillion)-- a hand-me-down from my sisters. I'm fairly certain it was purchased on a trip to England to visit relatives. My family had recently returned from Saudi Arabia, and I seriously doubt they bought it over there! This post prompted me to fish it out; it's in excellent shape, even the sleave... I think I'll give it a spin now.

My first Stones purchase: Tattoo You cassette at Camelot Music, Westmoreland Mall, Greensburg, Pennsylvania. And it remains a thrill ride catching up on everything before, between, and beyond these two items . . .
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
11-19-02 10:44 PM
Locomotion20 Jumpin Jack Flash in 1968 when I was 10.
Insisted my parents stump up the cash having heard it that morning on BBC's "Childrens Favourites" (!)

Was strangely fascinated at that tender age and for years after by the concept of being 'schooled with a stap right across my back...'.

Made me the man I am today...
[Edited by Locomotion20]
11-20-02 01:18 AM
gypsymofo60 Funny thing this. I'd always been fascinated with the band, but didn't actually start buying their records until 'Love You Live'....My first album was a trade though, ELO(A New World Record), for an Aussie compilation called STONES(how original), that was October, by Christmas that same year I'd accumulated half the official releases to that time...By hook, or by crook.
11-20-02 02:26 AM
Angiegirl In 1987 (when I was 13) my parents bought their first cd-player and to celebrate my brother and I each got our first cd for X-mas. Funny (or sad...)enough, my brother got dirty Work and I got a Madonna cd. We 'exchanged' 2 years later: I confisquated DW from my brother's room since he never played it!

Then I started babysitting and the father of that family owned every Stones album on vinyl. I would bring along cassttes and he would tape them for me.

The first thing I actually bought myself was the cassette of Steel Wheels (I only owned a cassette player back then).

Later, when I moved out, I started buying everything else. I also 'stole' most of my mum's Stones vinyl, like the Some Girls LP (Dutch orange vinyl) and the 'Through the past darkly' LP with that octagone (?) shape. Also her 7" of Heart of stone.

Those were the days my friend, when I still had to discover everything...
11-20-02 05:12 AM
gypsymofo60 Angiegirl said, "those were the days my friend, when I had to discover everything"-- How true! One of the best times of my life, and not that my life was so boring that music was all I had, was those 12 months when every cent accumulated went towards another Stones album. Each purchase was like starting another chapter in an epic novel. And of course there would always be another book to read inbetween albums, yes indeed, those were the days!
11-20-02 05:36 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
In 1987 (when I was 13) my parents bought their first cd-player and to celebrate my brother and I each got our first cd for X-mas. Funny (or sad...)enough, my brother got dirty Work and I got a Madonna cd. We 'exchanged' 2 years later: I confisquated DW from my brother's room since he never played it!

"discover everything..." lol

yeah ROLLING STONES will always be #1 in my live here, even when they are long gone to other places

11-20-02 08:37 AM
full moon I got a cassette of Tattoo You for my 8th grade birthday...
Page: 1 2