ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

MGM Grand - Las Vegas ,NV - 11th November 2006
© Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Queen album named Britain's best-selling (SSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
16th November 2006 09:20 AM
justinkurian Queen album named Britain's best-selling

Their over-the-top rock may not win the critical acclaim given The Beatles or the Rolling Stones, but Queen can claim Britain's best-selling album of all time. The Official U.K. Charts Company said Thursday that Queen's "Greatest Hits" had sold more than 5.4 million copies in Britain since its release in 1981, more than any other record.

The band, fronted by the late Freddie Mercury, is famous for overblown hits including "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Will Rock You."

Queen's follow-up "Greatest Hits II" is the seventh best-selling album in Britain, according to the list.

The Beatles' 1967 album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was second, selling 4.8 million copies, followed by Oasis' 1995 disc "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" with 4.3 million.

Albums by Dire Straits, ABBA, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson and Madonna are also in the top 10 of the list, compiled by checking more than a half-century of sales figures.

The list proves critical kudos do not always translate into sales. Some of the most revered acts of the last half-century — including Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones and the Sex Pistols — do not have an album in the top 100.

Boy band member turned solo showman Robbie Williams has six, while Oasis, Michael Jackson and Celine Dion have three each.

The Top 10:

1. "Greatest Hits," Queen, 5,407,587

2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," The Beatles, 4,811,996

3. "(What's The Story) Morning Glory?" Oasis, 4,314,715

4. "Brothers In Arms," Dire Straits, 3,956,704

5. "Gold," Abba, 3,943,950

6. "The Dark Side Of The Moon," Pink Floyd, 3,781,993

7. "Greatest Hits II," Queen, 3,644,619

8. "Thriller," Michael Jackson, 3,578,107

9. "Bad," Michael Jackson, 3,554,301

10. "The Immaculate Collection," Madonna, 3,402,160
16th November 2006 09:23 AM
glencar The brits love that Queen stuff. Over here, Radio Gaga was barely a hit but over there? THEY SING ALONG WORD FOR WORD!!!!!
16th November 2006 10:05 AM
Soldatti The only Stones album with sales over 1 million in Britain is Forty Licks, and it passed the million mark this year.
Although, the Stones are the #6 UK best selling act of albums/singles combined.
16th November 2006 10:08 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
The brits love that Queen stuff. Over here, Radio Gaga was barely a hit but over there? THEY SING ALONG WORD FOR WORD!!!!!

It's always sad though, that Queen were best known for 'hits' such as "Radio Ga Ga" or "I want to break free". Their seventies stuff was way different than what they did in the nineties. Less commercial, more ambitious.
16th November 2006 10:29 AM
Paranoid_Android I am actually impressed that Robbie Williams has 6 albums in the top 100...his first 3 were really enjoyable.
16th November 2006 12:57 PM
Honky Tonk Man The top ten is no suprise at all. However, the full list was published in todays Sun newspaper and there were a suprises. For instance, Jason Donovan at number 100!

Queen at number 1 is to be expected. I'd imagene there are few homes in the UK without a copy. We must have about 3 in our household and none of us are really fans. We have it on LP, I have a cassette version rotting away somewhere and my brother has the CD.
16th November 2006 03:34 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The top ten is no suprise at all. However, the full list was published in todays Sun newspaper and there were a suprises. For instance, Jason Donovan at number 100!

Queen at number 1 is to be expected. I'd imagene there are few homes in the UK without a copy. We must have about 3 in our household and none of us are really fans. We have it on LP, I have a cassette version rotting away somewhere and my brother has the CD.

Why?
16th November 2006 04:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Queen at number 1 is to be expected. I'd imagene there are few homes in the UK without a copy.

Mine for one

quote:
glencar wrote:
The brits love that Queen stuff. Over here, Radio Gaga was barely a hit but over there? THEY SING ALONG WORD FOR WORD!!!!!

I wouldnt get too cocky! The most popular selling album in the US is probably by The Eagles!
[Edited by Gazza]
16th November 2006 04:06 PM
Dan I have a bunch of records. They probably belong to my mom but she doesn't have a record player anymore.
16th November 2006 04:13 PM
robpop
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I wouldnt get too cocky! The most popular selling album in the US is probably by The Eagles!
[Edited by Gazza]

That hurt.
16th November 2006 04:22 PM
jb England has never embraced the Stones, and quite frankly, hastned their departure by the busts, constant invasion of their privacy, and oppressive tax system. The Stones music, moroever, was always more American than British. Queen represents the fanciful and pop oriented British audience much more than the blues inspires origins of the Stones.
16th November 2006 04:24 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

16th November 2006 05:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
England has never embraced the Stones, and quite frankly, hastned their departure by the busts, constant invasion of their privacy, and oppressive tax system. The Stones music, moroever, was always more American than British. Queen represents the fanciful and pop oriented British audience much more than the blues inspires origins of the Stones.

Yeah, it was the English people who put the tax rates up and raided their homes for drugs. Fuck, you forgot to mention that they may have even drowned one of them! What a shower of bastards!

Theres a delicious irony in white Americans boasting about how 'American' the Stones' music is. If it wasnt for bands like the Stones and a few others bringing black music to you that was there under your noses (which theyd already made popular in England), many of you would probably still be blissfully unaware of it.

[Edited by Gazza]
16th November 2006 05:09 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yeah, it was the English people who put the tax rates up and raided their homes for drugs. Fuck, you forgot to mention that they may have even drowned one of them! What a shower of bastards!

Theres a delicious irony in white Americans boasting about how 'American' the Stones' music is. If it wasnt for bands like the Stones and a few others bringing black music to you that was there under your noses (which theyd already made popular in England), many of you would probably still be blissfully unaware of it.

[Edited by Gazza]

16th November 2006 05:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Now THAT is a tasty burger!

Is it time to list my choice for "Best movies of the 90's" yet!
16th November 2006 05:14 PM
Hannalee [quote]Gazza wrote:

Mine for one

And mine. I do, however, have all the albums, videos, DVDs, so I'm still a happy bunny.

OT: There appears to be a lot of hair leaping around on C4 at this very minute... and yet here I am.
16th November 2006 06:28 PM
ShaneJazz Freakin' AWESOME band....Brian May is still magnificent.
16th November 2006 06:39 PM
Dan
quote:

Without the Beatles and the Stones, the first British invasion would have been the Spice Girls. So things wouldn't be all that bad.
16th November 2006 07:04 PM
MrPleasant It's fun to smoke marijuana.
16th November 2006 07:14 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

It's always sad though, that Queen were best known for 'hits' such as "Radio Ga Ga" or "I want to break free". Their seventies stuff was way different than what they did in the nineties. Less commercial, more ambitious.

who the fuck knows queen for radio gaga or i want to break free?
16th November 2006 07:15 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
jb wrote:
England has never embraced the Stones, and quite frankly, hastned their departure by the busts, constant invasion of their privacy, and oppressive tax system. The Stones music, moroever, was always more American than British. Queen represents the fanciful and pop oriented British audience much more than the blues inspires origins of the Stones.

Very nicely put.
16th November 2006 09:20 PM
Riffhard I knew that Josh was gonna wiegh in on this,and he did not disappoint! That said,I think that Queen is quite possibly the most overrated band in the history of popular music. Yes,Mecury had a brilliant voice. Yes,Brian May could play guitar better than most. But,I mean shit,they fucking sang such gut wrenching anthem type songs that I could never get past their sheer gayness. Not that there is anything wrong with that,but as far as I'm concerned their shit ain't rock and roll. And as an American I can say wihout hesitation that,yes,they are way too European/UK for my tastes. Again,not that there is anything wrong with that. I mean for fuck's sake,the UK seem to think that Radiohead is sheer genius as well. Gazza you are quite right about the Eagles album by the way. Pathetic! It seems that both the European/UK audience as well as the US audience all have their heads firmly planted up their own asses. Then again compared to most of the music out there these days Queen is great. They are certainly way better than Radiohead! Thom York's emotional basketcaseism has never moved me at all. Hey Thom here's a clue. Take some happy pills,drink some beer,and go home and take a nap!

Riffy
17th November 2006 03:28 AM
corgi37 Bloody Poms. This will make thrashing them for the Ashes even the more sweeter.
17th November 2006 05:30 AM
Hannalee
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Bloody Poms. This will make thrashing them for the Ashes even the more sweeter.

Sweet dreams are made of thi-is...
17th November 2006 06:10 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Mine for one

[Edited by Gazza]

I believe it's still thriller but maybe Soldatti has the skinny?
17th November 2006 07:45 AM
Zack I thought the Wall sold more than Dark Side of the Moon. I read once that one in every seven Britons had a copy of that upbeat opus in their home. That would put it at way more than five million.
17th November 2006 11:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Great point.....!
Something the Brit bashers need to be reminded of every once in awhile.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
17th November 2006 11:36 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I knew that Josh was gonna wiegh in on this,and he did not disappoint! That said,I think that Queen is quite possibly the most overrated band in the history of popular music. Yes,Mecury had a brilliant voice. Yes,Brian May could play guitar better than most. But,I mean shit,they fucking sang such gut wrenching anthem type songs that I could never get past their sheer gayness. Not that there is anything wrong with that,but as far as I'm concerned their shit ain't rock and roll. And as an American I can say wihout hesitation that,yes,they are way too European/UK for my tastes. Again,not that there is anything wrong with that. I mean for fuck's sake,the UK seem to think that Radiohead is sheer genius as well. Gazza you are quite right about the Eagles album by the way. Pathetic! It seems that both the European/UK audience as well as the US audience all have their heads firmly planted up their own asses. Then again compared to most of the music out there these days Queen is great. They are certainly way better than Radiohead! Thom York's emotional basketcaseism has never moved me at all. Hey Thom here's a clue. Take some happy pills,drink some beer,and go home and take a nap!
Riffy

Excellent points Riffhard. There are bands which are both TOO Europeon AND TOO American. To me, The Eagles sound is not English enough.

I don't really get Radiohead either. I think some of their tunes are okay enough, but there is something that is really stopping me from likeing them. All my freinds at school loved them. I was listening to The Stones
17th November 2006 12:38 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
I believe it's still thriller but maybe Soldatti has the skinny?

Thriller is #2, Eagles #1, Hot Rocks in the top 50.
http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topalbums.asp
17th November 2006 01:31 PM
Farrokh Bulsara LIVE WITH IT Dahlings!

Zanzibaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)