ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Show us your faces people!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WHO Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 17th, 2004 12:01 AM
Lavendar Just heard Pete Townshend announced there will be a new album and tour in 2005! album- WHO TOO! Bring it on. Makes me wonder if the Stones will stall now!?
[Edited by Lavendar]
November 17th, 2004 12:21 AM
seclusion Pete Townsend is great, but... to me The Who just isn't The Who without Keith Moon.
November 17th, 2004 05:19 AM
piratekeef I agree....Though Zak Starkey does a good job. Plus he has the bonus to be liked with The Who's history.
November 17th, 2004 05:21 AM
FotiniD Come on, there's only half the original band now...
They should at least change a name or something. It's not the Who without the whole original band, especially when 50% is missing!
November 17th, 2004 06:01 AM
Jumping Jack The Who has always been basically a one man show when it comes to writing their material. Anyone who has seen a post JE show knows the still kick ass as well.

Let's hope Pete can still write some rockers.
November 17th, 2004 06:12 AM
FotiniD Yes, but a band is not only writing songs. It's performing them as well.

I haven't caught the Who live, so I couldn't really know how good they are. But it's just a little sad to go listen to the "Who" and just see Daltrey and Townshead, good as they are.

Just a little changing in the name!
November 17th, 2004 06:13 AM
piratekeef what does "post JE show" actually mean?
November 17th, 2004 06:37 AM
FotiniD Post John Entwistle, if I'm not wrong.
November 17th, 2004 07:02 AM
Jumping Jack I am sure Mr. L will back me up on this, but if the Stones can play their songs with Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman then The Who is can play without Moon and Entwhistle. In fact, as good as Moon was, Mick Taylor is the bigger loss.

The Who is currently way closer to 1975 in their sound and performance than the Stones.

November 17th, 2004 08:16 AM
Lavendar Change their name!? LOL Then "WHO" would they be? That makes me Laugh!
November 17th, 2004 09:03 AM
L&A Take care, everybody, don't laugh at the Who... Big brother Joey is waking up on the other side of the ocean
November 17th, 2004 09:05 AM
FotiniD I love the Who. I just don't get how they can actually be The Who by 50% less.
November 17th, 2004 11:55 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I am sure Mr. L will back me up on this, but if the Stones can play their songs with Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman then The Who is can play without Moon and Entwhistle. In fact, as good as Moon was, Mick Taylor is the bigger loss.

The Who is currently way closer to 1975 in their sound and performance than the Stones.

Jumping Jack !

You are a very smart man !

.....and much loved by The Joeykins !

November 17th, 2004 12:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I am sure Mr. L will back me up on this, but if the Stones can play their songs with Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman then The Who is can play without Moon and Entwhistle. In fact, as good as Moon was, Mick Taylor is the bigger loss.

yep. Plus The Who have been without Moon for about two thirds of their career..

I have to say that when Entwistle popped his clogs, I thought they should quit and to carry on was a bad move.

Having seen them in Birmingham 5 months ago, I'm happy to have been proved wrong.

Zak Starkey is a drummer who fits into the band perfectly. The fact that Townshend and Daltrey felt that the other guys they tried before couldnt replace Moon but that Starkey fits the bill is good enough for me.

Daltrey also has got his voice working again much better than he has done for years, and I've NEVER seen any guitarist at any live show I've attended played with the ferocity and passion that Pete Townshend did that night. He was breathtaking.
November 17th, 2004 12:15 PM
Snappy McJack The Who still kick it. Saw them in Detroit a couple of years ago and they fuckin' rocked it. I thought it was better than the Stones show I went to during Licks. More fire-power and energy. None of that prancin' around with cigarettes and back-up singers; they actually played the whole time.
November 17th, 2004 12:41 PM
seclusion I haven't seen The Who live, only on DVD. However, I can't imagine a show without them making a lot of noise, as that is their image. A lot of GOOD, LOUD noise, at that. You can't compare the Stones with The Who. They're concepts on stage are too different.
November 17th, 2004 04:10 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Daltrey also has got his voice working again much better than he has done for years, and I've NEVER seen any guitarist at any live show I've attended played with the ferocity and passion that Pete Townshend did that night. He was breathtaking.

I would like to caress your kneecaps .
November 17th, 2004 09:22 PM
Lavendar I have photos and the screen behind them kept showing a British Cop! Kinda Funny........................
November 17th, 2004 09:31 PM
Mr. D The Who are better in concert now than any older rock group.. They're playing they're asses off and Pete is still a great guitarist, and in some ways he's grown better than ever. Yes, it's a shame that Moon and Entwistle aren't there, but this is a testement to Daltrey and Townshend, who can still rock out, even withought their fallen bandmates. As for a name change, why? Both the Stones and Pink Floyd lost their founding member...if anything constitutes a name change, it should be that, and even then, it's unneccesary.
November 18th, 2004 05:08 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Zak Starkey is a drummer who fits into the band perfectly. The fact that Townshend and Daltrey felt that the other guys they tried before couldnt replace Moon but that Starkey fits the bill is good enough for me.

Zack Starkey now drums with Oasis. He played with them at Glasto and he's currently working on the new Oasis record in LA.

Would it be possible for him to be in two bands? For all I know, The Gallagher brothers may just be hiring him.

Alex
November 18th, 2004 05:45 AM
Gazza Zak is only "on loan" to Oasis
November 18th, 2004 05:47 AM
Zeeta Gazz & Honk - I am currently having great fun on this http://oa515.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1402 forum getting Oasis fans all riled - join in!
November 18th, 2004 05:59 AM
Gazza nah..I think I do enough of that here without even trying.LOL

Funny thread, though

That Keith pic on your post looks vaguely familiar!
November 18th, 2004 06:05 AM
Zeeta hahah!

Well boredom brings on malice!
November 18th, 2004 06:41 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ha, Ha!

Cheers Zeeta. The thing is, all your points are spot on!

I guess they are just a little like us. They just prey their band will deliver a great new record and that anyone who bashes them should be be-headed!

Actually, they're quite imature over on that board, aren't they?
November 18th, 2004 06:43 AM
Zeeta Yeah its good clean fun!

They don't have a fuckin clue - most of them are Yanks anyway I think!? I love gettin their backs up thO!
November 18th, 2004 07:10 AM
Honky Tonk Man Yanks? No, I wouldn't of thought so.

America's attitude towards Oasis does crack me up though.

I was watching an American documentary on them and they were using Subtitles whenever Noel and Liam opened they're gobs!

Anyhow, my view on Oasis is that they made a couple of cracking albums and they have been in radical decline ever since. I would still love to see them live, but there�s no way I'm trekking all the way to Milton Keynes to see 'em.

My girlfriend saw them at Earl's Court in 95. Now that must have been good.

Alex
November 18th, 2004 10:54 AM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Zack Starkey now drums with Oasis. He played with them at Glasto and he's currently working on the new Oasis record in LA.

Would it be possible for him to be in two bands? For all I know, The Gallagher brothers may just be hiring him.

Alex

I bet whenever Zak performs onstage with Oasis and looks out from behind his drum kit and sees those two smarmy , wormy , little piece - of - shit Gallagher brothers he just wants to ram his drumsticks so far up their arses that they can taste sawdust .

Corky ! �

November 18th, 2004 11:08 AM
Zeeta Excellent post Joseph!
November 18th, 2004 11:08 AM
Monkeytonkman I've seen the Who a couple of times, but not since the Ox died, however when I saw them a couple of years ago at the birmingham NEc and they blew me and my mate away.

Didn't have much stage show, unlike the Stones, they just came out with a basic light show and rocked the place!

Say what you like, but they were/are a great band who are really powerful live.
Page: 1 2