ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Stoneslib!
Petco Park, San Diego, CA - November 11, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Rolling Stones are only as good as your sense of nostalgia Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 9th, 2005 02:05 PM
moy this person should see a show, listen the new album or at least check the setlist, poor loser
=========================================================
CAN'T GET NO SATISFACTION
The Rolling Stones are only as good as your sense of nostalgia

by Seth Combs

Some band legacies are secure. Can’t mess with ’em. Usually, what the untouchables have in common is that they quit at the perfect time.

It hurts to see a band you love reduced to a facsimile of their once ravenous glory. Chugging along, playing their hits the same way every night. Think R.E.M. Think Metallica.

Now… take a deep breath… think the Rolling Stones.

I know what you’re thinking: “Of course the Stones should have broken up—but it’s the Stones, man!”

Sure—their legacy is secure, so why not milk it for all it’s worth? You might argue that they really do love making new music and playing in front of thousands of fans.

That’s a fallacy and I’ll tell you why.

The music

The desire for new Stones material has decreased a bit since Tattoo You. The only people who buy the albums are “lifers” and the only critics gushing “new masterpiece” are folks like Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner (who lost all credibility when he gave Mick’s solo album, Goddess in the Doorway, five stars—a bizarre rating considering even Keith Richards lovingly referred to it as “dogshit in the doorway”).

But Richards is one to talk. The band’s new album, A Bigger Bang, sounds more like a black hole, with Richards playing the same riffs he perfected 30 years ago. The single, “Rough Justice,” could easily be confused with a great song, but only because it sounds exactly like every other Stones song. They might love playing the music, and you might like hearing it—but it’s only because it sounds so familiar.

You have enough great Stones songs. What you need is something that lights a fire under your ass now, not a fire under the ass of who you used to be. May as well watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s a hundred times and skip every new Jim Jarmusch film.

The Stones are little more than an echo that never ends.

The lyrics

Historically, most Stones lyrics had a hint of profundity that required some quiet analysis on the listener’s part. That’s when they were high out of their gourds and releasing an album every year. Now they’re clean and averaging one every five years. Quick, somebody tie Keith off and get Mick some blow!

Since Undercover, there has been an absolute lack of depth. On “Streets of Love,” Mick croons profusions like, “I walk the streets of love and they’re full of tears/ I walk the streets of love and they’re full of fears” and “The awful truth, it’s really sad/ I must admit I was awful bad.”

Christ, I’ve heard deeper Sigur Rós lyrics, and they sing in a nonsensical language only they understand.

Insincerity aside, you can’t blame them. They probably realize that since they’re old, excessively rich and altogether untouchable, it’s hard to take anything they say seriously, especially subjects like love and heartbreak. So why would they bother getting analytical about much at all?

Death is about the only life-altering experience left for them to deal with.

The show

Every Rolling Stones concert since 1981 has been essentially the same. Three-fourths of the songs are pre-’80s hits, with new material and a few obscurities thrown in for the real fans in the upper decks (looking down on the corporate execs and Scientologists in the front rows). Even with rumors of backstage defibrillators and oxygen tanks, they keep on partying like its 1969.

It’s one step above a Vegas show. People don’t go to be moved; they go to hear “Satisfaction” for the billionth time. They go to check “see the Rolling Stones” off their cultural to-do list.

Someone like Bob Dylan still has it. Tom Waits still has it. But while the Rolling Stones may still move feet, they no longer move the soul. It’s not an exhilarating experience; it’s a nostalgic playground, which is never what great music—whether recording, writing or playing it—should ever be.

As Robert Plant recently told a reporter who asked about a possible Led Zeppelin reunion: “We were a boy band and I’m not a boy anymore. I prefer my career to have a bit of dignity now.”

He wasn’t referring to the Stones. But he was.
The Rolling Stones play the first concert at PETCO Park on Nov. 11. $60-$400. 619-232-HELL.

11/09/05
November 9th, 2005 02:31 PM
Child of the Moon Aw, how cute. Some young poseur named "Seth" wants the Stones to pack it in because it's the popular thing to say. Gold rings on you, boy. If you find some dogshit in your doorway, I put it there. Thank Keith Richards.
November 9th, 2005 02:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well he does have a minor point. Not very well presented and not very well thought out though. Kind of like the guy who just likes to hear himself talk.
November 9th, 2005 02:58 PM
wisertime
quote:
moy wrote:
It’s one step above a Vegas show. People don’t go to be moved; they go to hear “Satisfaction” for the billionth time. They go to check “see the Rolling Stones” off their cultural to-do list.

Someone like Bob Dylan still has it. Tom Waits still has it. But while the Rolling Stones may still move feet, they no longer move the soul. It’s not an exhilarating experience; it’s a nostalgic playground, which is never what great music—whether recording, writing or playing it—should ever be.

As Robert Plant recently told a reporter who asked about a possible Led Zeppelin reunion: “We were a boy band and I’m not a boy anymore. I prefer my career to have a bit of dignity now.”

He wasn’t referring to the Stones. But he was.

Sorry but I totally agree with this part of the article.
I don't want to listen to 2005 shows because there's no interest, I downloaded a few shows but it doesn't move me.
I listened to Oakland 1997 this evening and I liked it a lot (new songs, old songs never performed before, Keith is on fire, etc.).
November 9th, 2005 03:19 PM
MrPleasant "May as well watch Breakfast at Tiffany’s a hundred times and skip every new Jim Jarmusch film."

"Broken Flowers"? I'd love to see "Broken Flowers".

If one expects everything to be like "Breakfast" (for whatever reason), tons of admirable movies would be missed.
November 9th, 2005 05:17 PM
Dick Bush
Isn't it the ultimate grade of vanity what Bob Plant is talking about?

Funny guy!
November 10th, 2005 10:09 AM
IanBillen Do you know why people shun the Stones and say "Oooooo, Ahhhhh the Stones" in almost a Bah-humbug type of way as so many young fans do?

Answer: Because they prefer to go against the grain no matter what the circumstances and PRETEND to not see something as plain as the noses on their faces. I had a kid tonight try and say The Stones were not one of the greatest bands of all time. I say "are you kidding"? Then he said well yeah, but you know. I said "you know what"? He said well they are still going so you caan't really count them. I told him the fact that they are still who they are yesterday and today and are still rocking strong gives more credit to my point.

People want to dismiss The Stones because infact they STILL matter. They are making more money than anyone in music and they produce top ten albums and continue to defy their age. Their songs and music still sound great. And folks love to deny that. Why? because it is what it is.

Kids, and alot of adults would rather tell you CCR or The Beatles were or are great besides The Stones.

*Incidentally The kid said he did like the single Rough Justice and asked me too play the album so I put it on. After I said what did you think. He said it was pretty good hell admit. I asked if their is better rock out there. He answered "no not for rock". Then I asked him if he was being honest? He said sure. I told him how could a band create some of arguably the best Rock N Roll throughout 5 straight decades. Set Standards for touring along with having strings of classics and some of the greatest albums of all time. Also outlast everyone of their band counterparts and not be considered one of the best bands of all time?

The point is they are just being stubborn and going against the grain. They do not want to give the Stones their just due because....in a way.....they realize none of the music or groups they listen to will ever even compare.

That is the real reason why,

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
November 10th, 2005 10:20 AM
Moonisup he makes shitty points, but also some good points
November 10th, 2005 05:39 PM
Ronnie Richards The truth sometimes hurts...
November 10th, 2005 05:40 PM
The Porkchop Express damn straight it does!

haha, this article was awesome
November 10th, 2005 09:41 PM
IanBillen
Well it is kinda like the response I got in class when asked who my opinion of the greatest basketball player of all time is.

My reply: Michael Jordan. I am no big fan or anything but that is not "rocket...
surgery" to figure out.

You would be surprised how many spoke up and said "Michael Jordan....Ohhhhh, Awwwww, there are other great players".

No doubt there are. But he is the greatest of all time. Almost anyone who knows anything about basketball will tell you that. Still I got the negative, not all for it response.

Why? People, especially kids love to go against the grain and refuse to accept what is basically fact.

The story of this thread and The Rolling Stones is no different.

Ian
November 10th, 2005 09:53 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

but that is not "rocket...
surgery" to figure out.

ian - you are priceless!!
November 10th, 2005 10:26 PM
mac_daddy beat me to it, sia...

quote:
I am no big fan or anything but that is not "rocket...
surgery" to figure out.

another for gazza's sig
November 10th, 2005 10:29 PM
stonedinaustralia hey macdaddio!!

it's a great line isn't it - i'm tempted to adopt it my self..or the alternative "it's not brain science"
November 10th, 2005 10:45 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hey macdaddio!!

it's a great line isn't it - i'm tempted to adopt it my self..or the alternative "it's not brain science"

November 10th, 2005 10:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've started an Ian Hall Of Fame in my sig...
November 10th, 2005 11:02 PM
The Wick Everyone is up in arms, but the article is spot on, with a few beautiful songs as exceptions. Until the Glimmer Bores become twins again and start living near each other and working with each other like they used to, we will get the same recycled half assed shit we have been getting. Anyone who doesn't admit that it is recycled and shit, is in denial.
November 10th, 2005 11:53 PM
mac_daddy WOW

there is some great posting in this thread!!!!

quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I've started an Ian Hall Of Fame in my sig...

classic.

ian is giving jair a run for his money "f*ck you, gazza, will ya?" is the best thread title ever.
November 11th, 2005 12:09 AM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I am no big fan or anything but that is not "rocket...
surgery" to figure out.

I still hold out hope that some day a rocket surgeon will be able to remove that damn Saturn V that's been lodged in my foot since 1973.
November 11th, 2005 12:34 AM
Sir Stonesalot Hey Lefty...hit one of my emails with your mailing addy. Or if you don't have my email anymore, hit me with a PM.
November 11th, 2005 01:13 AM
CraigP I am 19 years of age. I have seen them live 5 times. That's the only nostalgia to me. I love a few songs off of every album througout their "decline".
November 11th, 2005 09:23 AM
IanBillen We all understand the "rocket.... surgery" thing was intended.

Ian

*For those who caught it I give a bowel and head Job.... I mean a bow and a head nod.
[Edited by IanBillen]
November 11th, 2005 12:58 PM
Sir Stonesalot Whatever you say Ian. *wink wink*
November 11th, 2005 02:08 PM
IanBillen [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Whatever you say Ian. *wink wink*

LOL now we can have a laugh about a thread for a good change.

Ian
November 11th, 2005 02:15 PM
full moon As Jack said, " You Can't Handle The Truth"... The article is 100% on the money . They have been mailing it in. The setlists blow and they are like a fucking Vegas act now. I am getting tired of it......
November 11th, 2005 02:38 PM
lotsajizz enough people are not jaded as this fuck is, enough to sell out every night, so if they don't get it, fuck 'em---their loss
November 11th, 2005 05:27 PM
The Porkchop Express What the Stones need to do is this: get Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor back in the band. If Bill still doesn't want to, have Ronnie play bass (he played bass in the Jeff Beck Band). Daryl Jones is awesome, but they can't kick out Ronnie. Mick and Keith need to start writing together, as well as allowing others to write and get their songwriting credits. As well as Mick and Keith, Mick and Mick T should write songs together, ditto Keith and Mick T. This band desperately needs these things: Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and/or Ronnie playing bass.

But it'll never happen.

Edit - and they need to get back to country and blues rock.
[Edited by The Porkchop Express]
November 11th, 2005 05:39 PM
lotsajizz fuck Taylor the Fat Ass Quitter
November 11th, 2005 05:51 PM
The Porkchop Express okay 'tard
November 11th, 2005 06:01 PM
lotsajizz the only thing 'tarded is not accepting that your twinkie boy quit
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)