ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fernando Aceves strikes again!!!
Congratulations our friend... another great cover!
Photo taken at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA Séptember 18, 2002 by Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why Blondie Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-07-02 02:32 PM
6th Avenue why is Blondie.C playing guitar on stage w/ the Stones. I have heard stories like "he's picking up for Keith slacking off" I hope not. What's your take?
11-07-02 02:34 PM
jb Regrettably, that is the reason....Keith has some great moments and some great rhiffs, but he cannot sustain them the entire show...it turns out Ronnie is playing better than ever and Keith, according to some, has really been in a diminished capacity.
11-07-02 02:48 PM
Nasty Habits I could never figure out why Blondie was playing guitar onstage -- mainly because I could never discern his guitar in the mix from any place I was standing at any show I've seen.

Mick introduced him onstage at Columbus as being on "unplugged" guitar. Whether that meant the guitar was not plugged into anything and is just there for Blondie to have something to do w/his hands, or whether Mick was assuming that MTV has changed the American term for an acoustic guitar to an "unplugged" guitar I am not sure.

Hey jb -- what did you think of Keith's musical outpouring in Atlanta and/or Florida?

11-07-02 02:55 PM
jb Truthfully, I thought he was excellent at both Florida shows..particularly Fort lauderdale...Atlanta, was IMHO, even better...however, I did notice that at times he loses the beat and has to check with charles or ronnie to get back on track...
11-07-02 03:01 PM
Soul Survivor Blondie...........

Come on guys, This name sounds like hes a stripper at the "It's Raining Men" club.

He looks weird too, and the stones would be better without him.
11-07-02 03:03 PM
jb I swear a few years ago i thought he was a she..sort of like that "Pat" character on SNL....
11-07-02 03:05 PM
nankerphelge I thought that a few minutes ago.

11-07-02 03:06 PM
parmeda This is a case of where it obviously pays to know someone in the band...
[Edited by parmeda]
11-07-02 03:10 PM
jb He must be a gifted musician..I heard he played on keith's solo stuff..maybe that was his in...
11-07-02 03:14 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
Truthfully, I thought he was excellent at both Florida shows..particularly Fort lauderdale...Atlanta, was IMHO, even better...however, I did notice that at times he loses the beat and has to check with charles or ronnie to get back on track...

Did he seem to be trying to play within the context of the band or did he just seem to be off in his own world playing his weird bends and power chords? I ask because I have missed the "weave" on this tour and have been trying to decide just who is reponsible for the lack of interplay.

11-07-02 03:21 PM
jb Well, I am the wrong guy to ask as I am not a musician...Also, when you are sitting up front it's so f--king loud that it's hard to really analyze the quality of the playing. what i was referring to, for example, was that in Miami, at start of HTW, Keith was actaully opening in wrong key..he looked at Charlie, stopped for a moment, and actually started over...thats what makes them the Stones...not slick or technical performances...
P.s. To answer part of your question, at times he is definitely off on his own..at other times he and ronnie jam together..not really any consistency...
[Edited by jb]
11-07-02 03:23 PM
Moonisup Blondie is an ex-beachboy and a great musician, better as Lisa and Bernard. He's a great friend of keith, just as bernard is from mick! Maybe I got one friend and I want one too, maybe that is the way!

rik
11-07-02 03:25 PM
jb Is he Dutch?
11-07-02 03:29 PM
Moonisup no, he lived in Holland for a few months during the recording of the Beach boys album ; HOLLAnd, he's from South africa, but they almost speak dutch there! A shame the dutch there!! But he likes holland he wanted to live there he said
rik

nice line there Josh, I am honoured!!

your friend, rik
11-07-02 03:31 PM
jb Thanks...Blondie and Charlie are the 2 jewish members of the Stones...Blondie has a great J-Fro....
11-07-02 03:34 PM
luxury1 Blondie is from South Africa--has a solo record, has recorded vocals (very high voice), percussion, some keyboard and guitar on a bunch of session work. Yes--was with the Beach Boys for a short stint too. He is Keith's good friend--and as someone else once mentioned on this board--he could be "holding" for Keith--and from my perspective, I think that is a sound assumption--ha-ha- sound, get it!??
11-07-02 03:37 PM
Nellcote How is it that having another acoustic guitar is supposedly bailing Keith out? Most of the Stones hits have had an acoustic in the background. I think it adds rather than subtracts from the overall performance.
11-07-02 03:52 PM
parmeda Nellcote...you're very true in what you've said. However I think the point of this is with Blondie is that we, as fans, have not accepted him as an intricate part of this band. Look at Daryl Jones...yes, he's very important and has played his part to 'our' standards. And yet, I can't remember anyone ever bashing the man.

It's just Blondie...he very well may be a good musician in his own right. Some people just don't like him.
11-07-02 03:56 PM
jb Parmeda..are you going to MSG in 03?
11-07-02 04:04 PM
parmeda Hi JB..
On a wish and a prayer, hon... I'd be in divorce court faster than you could say NYC, lol. However, I do have tickets for a few days later, here in Chicago.
11-07-02 04:09 PM
jb I can help you with that divorce thing(just kidding)...I am returning to N.Y. ...the tickets, however, are extroadinarily priced...broker wants 2600.00 dollars for first 10 rows and won't sell me a single! I know I'll get tickets..however, I will definitely use my private credit card which comes to office address to also avoid marital dissolution....but my wife will be shopping while I am enjoying shows!!!
11-07-02 04:21 PM
Gazza >However I think the point of this is with Blondie is that we, as fans, have not accepted him as an intricate part of this band.

who's WE?? Do you think the Stones even care if a few 'fans' for some unfathomable reason dont "accept" a certain side musician?? Whose band IS it after all?? He's hardly alone there, lets face it. there's still enough dickheads who cant even accept Ronnie Wood....
11-07-02 04:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot Amen Gazza.

Sometimes people lose sight that we are simply fans. We have no say in the way the band is run.
11-07-02 04:44 PM
Moonisup true

but they dumped Matt clifford

Ronnie is the stoniest stone for the former 2 guitarists
11-07-02 05:09 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Who the f*ck is Matt Clifford?
11-07-02 10:20 PM
BILL PERKS MATT CLIFFORD IS THE MOST ANNOYING PERSON EVER TO GRACE A STONES STAGE,HE DID SOME NICE KEYBOARD AND HORN IN 1989,BUT I THINK KEITH LOATHED HIM.HE OBVIOUSLY IS A GOOD FRIEND OF MICK'S.
11-07-02 10:23 PM
Fiji Joe Ronnie Wood? When did he join the band? Man, the Stones are gonna rock now.
11-08-02 02:38 AM
luridchief Fiji Joe, you have THE best signature photos!

"One of us, one of us, one of us . . . !"
11-08-02 04:20 AM
Mathijs I don't understand it...we all scream to bring the R&R back, get rid of Chuck and Matt (gone fortunately), bring back Ian McLagan, bring back to real Rock spirit...isn't that what we all want? And now we have somebody who has toured with Mick Taylor (and even plays on his live album), someone with a genuine "let's get wasted and play" mentallity, someone who laid down the tastiests bass line since Too Much Blood (listen to Low Down from B2B), and still it is not good? This clean-face-most-boring-bass-player-in-the-world is accepted, but a guy with a R&R mentality is not? Funny people, Americans...

Mathijs
11-08-02 04:36 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>However I think the point of this is with Blondie is that we, as fans, have not accepted him as an intricate part of this band.

who's WE?? Do you think the Stones even care if a few 'fans' for some unfathomable reason dont "accept" a certain side musician?? Whose band IS it after all?? He's hardly alone there, lets face it. there's still enough dickheads who cant even accept Ronnie Wood....

Well fucking said! Couldn't have put it better myself! Nothing needs elaborating.
Page: 1 2