ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fernando Aceves strikes again!!!
Congratulations our friend... another great cover!
Photo taken at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA Séptember 18, 2002 by Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most Underrated Artist (s) Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-06-02 12:48 AM
Mother baby 1. Brian Jones ???????????????
11-06-02 12:55 AM
gypsy Quite the contrary. In every book I've read about the Stones and/or Brian, he is given accolades and praise about his natural musical talent.
11-06-02 12:55 AM
Mother baby 2. Stu ???
"underated Piano player"

[Edited by Mother baby]
11-06-02 01:18 AM
gypsy Well, what do you want? For Brian? For Stu? How can they get more recognition for their work? There are MANY artists who haven't been praised for their great work...
11-06-02 01:47 AM
Mother baby
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Well, what do you want? For Brian? For Stu? How can they get more recognition for their work? ....

Oh I don't know. But Krieger ought to play in public more often.

[Edited by Mother baby]
[Edited by Mother baby]
11-06-02 04:08 AM
RubyFriday The most underrated group of all time is...

THE

Iīm sure not even half the people here know them....
Take a look here,if interested

http://www.webcom.com/~smholt/groovies/

[Edited by RubyFriday]
11-06-02 05:17 AM
gypsymofo60 As far as America is concerned; The Jam 1977_1982..In The UK; The Rolling Stones post 1981, I shit you not! Here in OZ, The Sex Pistols until 19fucking80, again I shit thee not!.......Most underrated band of all time, anywhere in the known universe; Mott The Hoople.-Hullo!
11-06-02 06:24 AM
sonicrock 1 ramones(rip joey deedee)
2 lyres
3 johnny thunders'(rip)
4 miracle workers
5 dead boys(rip)
6 the pretty things (rip brian p)
7 the flamin groovies youre right
8 the sonic reducer
9 wreckless eric and many more .........
11-06-02 07:12 AM
RubyFriday Pretty Things and Wreckless Eric (though 2 great albums isnīt much,huh ?),yes

From the british sector:

(BTW,I would like,the Stones cover Painter Man)
11-06-02 11:03 AM
F505 David Eugene Edwards
11-06-02 11:35 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sonicrock wrote:
1 ramones(rip joey deedee)
2 lyres
3 johnny thunders'(rip)
4 miracle workers
5 dead boys(rip)
6 the pretty things (rip brian p)
7 the flamin groovies youre right
8 the sonic reducer
9 wreckless eric and many more .........

Great list, although I don't think that the Miracle Workers are on the level of most of these other bands . . . .

Who exactly is "the Sonic Reducer"? I would've assumed you meant the Dead Boys but there they are right up on your list. . . .

It should be noted that in some circles the Pretty Things are completely OVERrated . . . Mike Stax, for instance -- that guy has a problem . . . .

The Creation was brilliant -- their run of singles during the Who's reign in the late mid and early late 60s is superior to more famous bands like, say, the Yardbirds.

Went to college, studied art . . . .

11-06-02 12:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh I love this thread! Time to champion some of my pets...

In no particular order....

The Pixies/Frank Black. The Pixies wrote songs that Kurt Cobain always wished he could write. And even after their eventual demise, Frank Black continued to write amazing things. Frank's 2 new albums(yeah, he released 2 different albums on the same day) are wonderful bits of guitar rock. You may scoff, but I think Pixies "Doolittle" is one of the 10 best albums I've ever heard.

X/The Knitters/The John Doe Experience. Man, the golden throat of John Doe. As much as I love the Ramones, I think X was the best of the American punk bands. When Dave Alvin hooked up with them X moved towards Americana, and they went from being a great punk band to being a great band, period. They lost all their punk cred when they did that, and probably killed the band in the process, but you gotta admire them for sticking to their artistic guns...so to speak. If you don't have "Under The Big Black Sun", go out and buy it right fuckin' now.

The English Beat/The Specials/Madness. OK, all these bands are one trick ponies, but what a great trick! I guarantee that if you slap the first Specials album on at a party, EVERYONE will be dancing. Even if they can't stand up! The English Beat have done one of the great cover versions of any song ever with "Tears Of A Clown", and their greatest hits album is dynomite from beginning to end. Madness probably had the bigest hit out of any of these bands with "Our House". Funny, but that hardly even sounds like Madness. I much prefer "One Step Beyond". If that don't make you wanna dance, well, you must be dead. "What Is Beat?", and "The Specials" are good places to start.

XTC. After the Beatles the best British pop band ever. Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding write some of the catchiest, cleverest, smartest, funniest pop songs. All highly guitar driven. Dynamite Dave Gregory is a guitar master of the highest order. No one ever hears of them because they don't tour. Andy suffered a nervous breakdown from stage fright(no I'm not kidding). So instead of spending months on the road, the hole up in a studio and write beautifully layered songs, played with brilliant musicianship. Some may call them "quirky", I call them fabulous. Try "English Settlement", "Black Sea", or "Drums & Wires"...if you just want to try a single disc, "The Upsy Daisy Assortment" is a nice greatest hits package.

The Replacements. For awhile, these guys were the best American band going, and the worst American band going...all at the same time. Anything you pick up by them is great stuff. Paul Westerburg is out and about touring clubs. Go see him. If he's on a good night, he will slay you. The man has written scads of brilliant songs. If he's on a bad night, you will still be entertained...just not in any way that you thought going into it. He's chased hecklers through the crowd, he's knocked himself out with his guitar after forgetting lyrics....he even bought drinks for the entire crowd because he kept fucking up. He also invites people up on stage with him while he plays. Any way you slice it, an interesting evening will be had.

Cracker. Oh man these guys are good. Straight up American rock n roll. I'm partial to "Cracker" and "Low", but the new album "Forever" is a humdinger too. "You are so beautiful/You should be guarded by monkeys" I mean, how fuckin' great is that? I wish I could write like that. Oh yeah, the lead guitar player will knock your socks off.

Robbie Fulks. Right up there with Steve Earle. Robbie is best when he's playing live. A rollicking good time. Try out "Let's Kill Saturday Night" or "13 Hillbilly Giants". His latest "Couples In Trouble" is also worth a listen.

I could literally go on about this for days. There are so many great bands out there that never get ant press or airplay. It doesn't mean they aren't good...it just means that they don't fit nice and neat into any kind of marketing category. Take Graham Parker. Bruce and Bob go to see this guy, that's how good he is. But his music will never get on the radio because it isn't able to be labled. I lable it. I lable it as "great".

Do yourselves a favor. Go to your local Whizz Records. It might be called something else....Where I live it's called City Lights, or Arboria. Ask for some recommendations. You won't like everything, but you will be exposed to different things other than what the major lables want you to hear. I mean, you notice I didn't go on about The White Stripes and The Hives and The Vines and The Strokes. All good stuff, but they are getting lots of press right now. Go check out some stuff that big record companies never talk about. Expand your horizons. It's a big world out there, and there is a lot of great music to find. Happy hunting.
11-06-02 04:37 PM
sasca Depends where. Many people here seem to be from the US so -Marc Bolan and T-Rex; Roxy Music; Serge Gainsbourg; Francoise Hardy; Theodorakis; Hadjidakis.....
11-06-02 07:33 PM
gypsymofo60 Having lived much of my life in Australia, I am well acquainted with underated artists. True for most of rock's history Australian music was somewhat derivative, as was English music up until the mid 60s, which is the very reason we are on this board, THE STONES! I know all countries have their underrated artists, and people are passionate about their favourites, but Aussies, especially for an English speaking country have had more than their share of unsung heroes. From the 60s there were; The Master's Apprentices, a brilliant blues/rhythm & blues group who were like a cross between The Stones, and The Yardbirds. There were many great blues influenced bands such as Madder Lake, Ariel, Ayres Rock, and Spectrum. Come The 70s when glam rock ruled we had a band that although their inspired heyday was relatively short, were one of the most original, and truly Australian bands ever. They were called The Skyhooks. As well as the far more renowned AC/DC, OZ also produced great hard rockers, such as Rose Tattoo, and a band that although at times sickeningly popular here, were totaly ignored elsewhere; Cold Chisel. The Chisels were one of the hardest working, and uncomprimising acts anywhere. While INXS were getting all the publicity OS, Midnight Oil although highly original, and highly entertaining, I think they probably suffered because of their very insular lyrics, and political stand. There have been many others, Radio Birdman, The Saints, The Laughing Clowns, and although I feel Aussie rock has slipped somewhat in recent times, there are still many, many great Aussie bands that regardless of talent, originality, or worthiness they will suffer the same fate as alot of their predecessors. Oh! My bands were always underrated too!_Yeah right!
11-06-02 11:55 PM
Mr T GOV'T MULE
11-07-02 12:43 PM
Cant Catch Me Yes, Gov't Mule, also yes to Flaming Groovies, English Beat, T. Rex. In the pop vein, I'd add Squeeze, they're up there or higher than XTC in my book. People always compare XTC and Squeeze to the Beatles, but in my book they're both even better than the Drab Four. But T. Rex above all others. Why wasn't he bigger than Bowie?

With a bluesier, rootsier, Stonesier sound, the Blasters were one of the best American bands ever.

For scorching blues guitar, seek out the tragically overlooked and now dead Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton. In Gatton's case, he was a master of not just blues but rockabilly, jazz, swing, pop, everything really.
11-07-02 01:19 PM
sasca Marc was magnificent and briefly one of the biggest stars in the world. But he lost his way and was overtaken both artistically and commercially by his friend, rival and perhaps one-time lover David Bowie. He was getting his act together again when he was killed. Shortly before this, Bowie appeared on Marcīs new tv show and they performed together; Marc got drunk and fell off the stage; Bowie joked īcan someone get Marc a coffin?
11-07-02 02:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot Ohhhhhh man, I love Squeeze. The reason I rate XTC higher than Squeeze is that XTC's songs are meatier. Squeeze tended to go a little on the lighter side of pop. Nothing wrong with that, I just prefer a little sharper edge than Squeeze had. You know, Dear God vs Pulling Mussels From a Shell...I'll take the weightier Dear God every time. It's just my preference.

T-Rex was really great, but Marc was pretty much a one trick pony. He had a great sound, and wrote some killer hooks. I mean 20th Century Boy...good God, THAT is some great stuff there. But I feel that T-Rex, and Marc, didn't really progress all that much as a band, or artist. This is why Bolan isn't in the same league as Bowie. Bowie sensed that the Spiders had gone as far as it could go without becoming parody of itself. When he got to the line, he figured out how to cross the line and move on....the soul boy. And when soul boy ran it's course...we got the return of the Thin White Duke. Bowie understood the need for Ch-ch-changes. Bolan never really reinvented himself, he rode his horse as far as he could ride it. Maybe he would have found a way to go on, but death got him first. Too bad.

Just my 2 cents. I can certainly understand why someone would say Bolan and Squeeze are under appreciated, because they are. There are just other bands out there that I think are even MORE under appreciated than them.

Oh, and the Blasters were fabulous. Dave Alvin is one of America's great guitar players.
11-07-02 02:38 PM
jb Men Out Work...probably the greatest Austalian band of all time!
11-07-02 02:54 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
Men Out Work...probably the greatest Austalian band of all time!

I remember those guys! They were the Hedwig and the Angry Inch to Men at Work's Tommy Gnosis! They would follow Men at Work and play gigs at little dives behind Men at Work's giant arena shows, knocking out truly stunning, searing, angry and Oz-affirming versions of Land Down Under and Doctor Heckyl and Mr. Jive. As I recall, Men Out Work and Men At Work got in some kind of battle royale one night on some kind of equivalent of the Australian Emmys, which Men Out Work crashed. Men At Work were receiving an award for their video for "Who Could It Be Now" and just as they took the stage Men Out Work rushed them, wearing combat boots. They proceeded to stomp the living shit out of Met at Work, chanting "Who Can We Be Now? Oi!" over and over again while that geeky blonde keyboard player guy spat his teeth over the stage and bled through his eyeballs because his glasses were smashed into them.

Saw it on a VH1 retrospective.

Thanks for the memories, JB!

11-07-02 02:59 PM
Soul Survivor Ace Frehley
11-07-02 02:59 PM
jb They were so underrated I forgot their name..LOL
11-07-02 03:00 PM
RubyFriday T.Rex.....underrated...that is - sorry - ridculous.Bolan had some nice singles with Johnīs Children and 2 good (unsuccessful) albums as Tyrannosaurus Rex.In the beginning of the 70ies he started copying Bowie and changed the sound to that stupid bubblegum pop mish mash.Only teenies heard them that time.Itīs another case in that Die-early-and-stay-famous history.
Squeeze wereīnt bad,but not underrated.XTC - overrated,there were much better bands of that era.
I thought,we are talking here about music and not of pop.
11-07-02 03:10 PM
sasca Yes, Marc in his T-Rex years was Pop, and gloriously so. I love Pop when it is well done (of course, such terms are virtually meaningless - many would describe the Stones as pop). Bowie and Bolan influenced each other considerably but Bolan's commercial success pre-dated Bowie's ('Space Oddity' apart). Visually they were moving in the same direction. Musically, 'Ride a White Swan' sounds like nothing Bowie ever wrote.
And let me end with a plug for the third member of Glam's trinity - Roxy Music.
11-07-02 03:34 PM
Nasty Habits I agree with RubyFriday that T-Rex is not an underrated band -- I know way too many people who namecheck them as an influence. However, sasca is right, that bubblegum crap is pretty freakin' glorious -- I love to play the spaceball ricochet in the ballrooms of Mars.

And word up to the first five Roxy Music albums -- again, there are thems that overrates 'em and them that undervalues them and them that don'ts knows nothing bouts 'em, but the STRANDED album and stray songs like Editions of You are absolutely great -- experimental and accessible at the same time.

11-07-02 03:35 PM
RubyFriday Bowie had already a #5 in 69 with Space Oddity.He was a big number in London.Nobody talked about Bolan.Bolanīs success began 71.But Iīm not here to ptotect Bowie,heīs overrated ,too-IMO-what I like of him would have space on 1 CD.
quote:
I love Pop when it is well done (of course, such terms are virtually meaningless - many would describe the Stones as pop)

Who ? Who would describe the Stones as Pop ?

Well,if you like pop,when itīs well done,then you must like the Britneys and Las Ketchups of the world.Itīs well done,but it has nothing to do with Art.

(The Eno) Roxy Music is another caliber.Only the outfit combines them with the others.They were great,I saw them 73.
11-07-02 03:50 PM
sasca Pop as in popular. Keith said something about Brian's slide on 'I Wanna Be Your Man' sounding like nothing that had ever appeared on a pop record before.
11-07-02 03:53 PM
Moonisup underrated:

All the blues heroes
Creedence clearwater revial
Men at work (LOL)
11-07-02 03:58 PM
RubyFriday Pop became a different meaning in the 70ies.The meaning of a genre.Consume and throwaway,as Jagger said recently(He admitted,he likes Pop)
11-07-02 04:15 PM
Mickjagger1963 ROBERT RANDOLPH AND THE FAMILY BAND.... How underrated?? Well I would be surprised if anyone else had heard of him, save a few people in NYC. If you wnat to hear soulful jams with blistering steel lap pedal guiitar (that 13-string monster) then download/buy some Robert Randolph. www.robertrandolph.net
Page: 1 2