ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fernando Aceves strikes again!!!
Congratulations our friend... another great cover!
Photo taken at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA Séptember 18, 2002 by Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most Underrated Artist (s) Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-07-02 07:53 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox SS...you beat me to it. Cracker is one of my favorite bands. "Cracker", "Kerosine Hat", and "The Golden Age", are 3 of the very best albums of the 90's. Got a chance to see them front row in March (not that it was that hard to get to the front with the lame 200+ crowd that was there) and it was probably the best show I've ever seen bar Roseland. Johnny Hickman is an unbelievable guitarist, both rhythm and lead and Lowery is a great songwriter with an awsome rock and roll voice. After the show we got to hang out with the band a bit and before they left, Johnny sang a few lines from Moonlight Mile. Kind of sad that more bands that were influenced by the Stones arent played on the radio these days instead of Linkin Park and Blink 182
"yeahhhhh Im comin hoooommmeee"
11-07-02 08:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot I just saw Cracker about a month before I saw the Stones and they just SLAY live. I too, was right up front. There was maybe 200 people there.

I can't understand how a band that good can be so overlooked.
11-07-02 11:33 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
jb wrote:
Men Out Work...probably the greatest Austalian band of all time!

At one time this is what the OZ media would've had us all believe. IMO the epitomie of the cultural cringe! Cutesy, parochial claptrap that Australians thought the rest of the world admired. Much as Marilyn Manson would admire BAMBI! Men At Work today are an Aussie embarresment, Australians have thankfully grown up.
11-07-02 11:48 PM
gypsymofo60 More from the underated files; JOY DIVISION....THE FALL...BUZZCOCKS.........HAPPY MONDAYS
11-08-02 01:28 AM
lin I agree CCR are underrated, can't believe I used to gloss over their music, now I can't get enough. Teenage Fanclub are another
11-08-02 01:08 PM
sasca The Manic Street Preachers are very underrated in some parts of the world (their last album was rubbish, though). The Stone Roses, too.
11-08-02 02:19 PM
Cant Catch Me Hey Sir Stones,

Gotta agree maybe Bolan was sort of unidimensional, but he did change once: from mystical folkie to glam rocker.

As to whether T. Rex is pop, well it's simple music, just a couple of chords, but gloriously so, like the Ramones were later. Some of the Stones' most famous riffs are equally simple.

And, I love this, has anybody heard at the end of T. Rex's "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" as the song fades out, he voices, "meanwhile ... I was still thinking."? Sure it's from Chuck Berry originally, but that line is in my mind forever linked to the Stones.
11-08-02 10:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot Very true CCM. Actually there was another less known change...from Mod to mystic folkie. Marc was a "face" during the Mod movement. However, he wasn't a musician at that time...just learning.
11-09-02 02:10 AM
gypsymofo60 I've been listening to alot of Bolan recently, and although I agree he was a little one dimensional he almost invented glam-rock single handedly. Bowie had given up at that stage, before his resurrection with Hunky Dory, and Elton was still a bore. During 1971/1972 he dominated the British charts with hit after hit. Unfortunately he couldn't really make the transition over from glam. London Boys still rocks!
11-10-02 07:31 AM
Cant Catch Me One underrated, almost unknown guitarist is Albert Lee (not Alvin, of either the Chipmunks or Ten Years After!) Maybe it's because of his unfortunate and rather uncanny resemblence to Tiny Tim.

If you've never heard it, check out the CD "No Introduction Necessary," credited more to Jimmy Page but also featuring Lee, as well as John Paul Jones, Bonham and Nicky Hopkins (a Stones connection!) It's almost like a Zep record you've never heard, but (I think) without Robert Plant, a plus for those of you who find Plant's voice annoying.
11-10-02 08:22 AM
Honky Tonker Cheap Trick - Great songs, great vocals by Zander. Stupid outfits by Nielson.
Steve Earle before he got political (I call this Jackson Browne disease - taking oneself too seriously. Currently affecting Springsteen, Petty, and the great Bob Seger.)
Tinsley Ellis - great blues
BoDeans - They even named an album from the lyrics of Shattered (Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams)
[Edited by Honky Tonker]
Page: 1 2