ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The one group or artist that's most influenced in rock music. Return to archive Page: 1 2
31st October 2007 04:05 PM
Gazza hank Williams
31st October 2007 04:05 PM
mojoman kiss
31st October 2007 04:21 PM
PartyDoll MEG Way too subjective of a topic... Rock and Roll started way before the groups mentioned.
If you asked the Beatles or the Stones who influenced them..they would probably tell you Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Bill Haley, etc etc.

Just glad we have it and artists keep reinventing it....
31st October 2007 04:56 PM
Saint Sway Green Day
31st October 2007 05:42 PM
speedfreakjive led zep - they influenced all rock bands, 1970 to present
31st October 2007 08:52 PM
icydanger Yes SDH...
Experience experienced
31st October 2007 11:01 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
led zep - they influenced all rock bands, 1970 to present

They were influenced by The Small Faces, check this song, click here to download or just listen on the back

As you can see that was not just influenced but stolen from Small Faces, who stole it from Willie Dixon who stole it from other unkown musicians who stole it from starving musicians who composed it... see it's hard to say who made it and when, where it all begun but all directions point to Africa babies...
31st October 2007 11:43 PM
the good
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Elvis, Beatles and Dylan.

Dylan basically reinvented the art of lyric writing and intellectualised rock music. To exclude him and to say the Sex Pistols had more influence is bizarre

The Stones would certainly be towards the top of the second 'tier' after those three.

[Edited by Gazza]

I think the stones originated the modern rock sound. They have been a bigger influence on rock music than Dylan, in my view.
1st November 2007 03:00 AM
Child of the Moon These guys:

1st November 2007 03:27 AM
Honky Tonk Man I'm with Gazza. There are only three.

Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Bob Dylan.

There have been countless other bands/artists who have played a major part, but the above mentioned are THE influences in my opinion.
1st November 2007 05:25 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
They were influenced by The Small Faces, check this song, click here to download or just listen on the back

As you can see that was not just influenced but stolen from Small Faces, who stole it from Willie Dixon who stole it from other unkown musicians who stole it from starving musicians who composed it... see it's hard to say who made it and when, where it all begun but all directions point to Africa babies...

ttrue, you're right, but however - they dont have the monster riffs like Led Zep
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
1st November 2007 08:14 AM
Moonisup osmonds, bee gees,
1st November 2007 09:25 AM
gimmekeef Beatles?...without Chuck Berry they wouldnt have been a band...Led Zep formed as a morph of the Yardbirds....
1st November 2007 09:49 AM
mojoman brady bunch
1st November 2007 09:53 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
mojoman wrote:
brady bunch

Yes..lol...especially that rug muncher Alice...
1st November 2007 10:17 AM
Pako Gertte
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
but all directions point to Africa babies...

No Africa No "Exile on Main Street" we be rocking since the stone age
1st November 2007 11:49 AM
andrews27
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Beatles?...without Chuck Berry they wouldnt have been a band...Led Zep formed as a morph of the Yardbirds....

There's a point missed here: the Beatles, with their "To the toppermost of the poppermost" attitude, *wanted to be everybody.* Berry, Little Richard, the Marvelettes, Phil Spector (groups and production), the Everly Brothers (compare the "drop" before the punched-in last line of 'I wanna hold your hand' to the recurring drops in the choruses of "Cathy's Clown"), Smokey Robinson, Doo-Wop ('This Boy,' 'Happiness is a warm gun'), Anthony Newley, Dylan - even reggae and African rhythm artists from the fringes of the Empire ('Ob La Di' and other tracks), and - after some resistance - Ravi Shankar.

It went on throughout their career, and this is just the short list. It was that desire to achieve and maintain the omnivorous and the omnifarious that raised them above the simplest of their roots. Saying 'Without Chuck Berry, no Beach Boys,' is closer, but then you have to factor in Phil Spector, Paul McCartney, Doo-Wop...

I love the Small Faces, but they stalled at being the Who minus Townshend. Throw in Ray Charles, and you can make Humble Pie. Throw in a latter-day Townshend like Paul Weller, and you've made Jam.

Led Zep is more like an Allen Klein-style hostile takeover of the Yardbirds by the suspiciously corporate-minded Jimmy Page (who happens to be my fave guitar player, Zep fans.)

[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
1st November 2007 12:18 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
andrews27 wrote:

There's a point missed here: the Beatles, with their "To the toppermost of the poppermost" attitude, *wanted to be everybody.* Berry, Little Richard, the Marvelettes, Phil Spector (groups and production), the Everly Brothers (compare the "drop" before the punched-in last line of 'I wanna hold your hand' to the recurring drops in the choruses of "Cathy's Clown"), Smokey Robinson, Doo-Wop ('This Boy,' 'Happiness is a warm gun'), Anthony Newley, Dylan - even reggae and African rhythm artists from the fringes of the Empire ('Ob La Di' and other tracks), and - after some resistance - Ravi Shankar.

It went on throughout their career, and this is just the short list. It was that desire to achieve and maintain omniverance and omniscience that raised them above the simplest of their roots. Saying 'Without Chuck Berry, no Beach Boys,' is closer, but then you have to factor in Phil Spector, Paul McCartney, Doo-Wop...

I love the Small Faces, but they stalled at being the Who minus Townshend. Throw in Ray Charles, and you can make Humble Pie. Throw in a latter-day Townshend like Paul Weller, and you've made Jam.

Led Zep is more like an Allen Klein-style hostile takeover of the Yardbirds by the suspiciously corporate-minded Jimmy Page (who happens to be my fave guitar player, Zep fans.)

[Edited by andrews27]

WOW...my heads spinnin.....but some intersting thoughts...As Keith has said before..theres only one song...just different takes on it....
1st November 2007 01:54 PM
andrews27
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

WOW...my heads spinnin.....but some intersting thoughts...As Keith has said before..theres only one song...just different takes on it....

Thanks, gk. It's only r'n'r...but we all like it.

The two heads/one mic thing is also Everly Brothers.\

The 'suspiciously corporate-minded' JP also showed typical corporate blindness in ripping off other artists - as was done back then, until sampling issues brought it to light.

Note corrections to my own dud language in original post above.
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
[Edited by andrews27]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)