ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The one group or artist that's most influenced in rock music. Return to archive Page: 1 2
30th October 2007 07:55 PM
guitarman53 1-Elvis Presley.
2-The Beatles.('64 British Pop Bands)
3-The Rolling Stones.(early British Blues Bands)
4-David Bowie.(Glam Rock)
5-The Sex Pistols.(Punk Rock)
5-Bruce Springsteen. (when Disco sucks).
Only 5 I think is important, this is the different peroids in music, the original formation of Rock 'N' Roll.
30th October 2007 07:56 PM
Gazza Elvis, Beatles and Dylan.

Dylan basically reinvented the art of lyric writing and intellectualised rock music. To exclude him and to say the Sex Pistols had more influence is bizarre

The Stones would certainly be towards the top of the second 'tier' after those three.

[Edited by Gazza]
30th October 2007 08:42 PM
mojoman keith is under the influence
30th October 2007 09:25 PM
gimmekeef Any conversation not including Chuck Berry and Johnny Johnson is not worth having.....
30th October 2007 09:29 PM
glencar Highly subjective matter. I choose not to participate.
30th October 2007 10:01 PM
guitarman53
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
1-Elvis Presley.
2-The Beatles.('64 British Pop Bands)
3-The Rolling Stones.(early British Blues Bands)
4-David Bowie.(Glam Rock)
5-The Sex Pistols.(Punk Rock)
5-Bruce Springsteen. (when Disco sucks).
Only 5 I think is important, this is the different peroids in music, the original formation of Rock 'N' Roll.

Elvis the original rebel of rock 'N' Roll, the first guy to wear make up, what Jagger said was where sexual confusion came from.
The Beatles- The first band to actually write their own songs, nobody did that before in Rock 'N' Roll.
The Stones for being staying to their roots, & not cashing in on pop music.
David Bowie for being the 1st for sexual confusion, for any one to fool my Mother as is that a boy or a girl, my hats is of to hiom for pulling that off.
The Sex Pistols for being a totally rip-off.
Bruce Springsteen for being the best stage performer in Rock 'N' Roll.
30th October 2007 10:05 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones would certainly be towards the top of the second 'tier' after those three.

Also in this category is the Small Faces, just ask how many bands and artists were influenced by them

Willie Dixon must be in the list as it's the more covered, but he took a lot of songs from starving musicians, the days of "no copyright"
30th October 2007 10:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl If we mean all kind of rock definitively we have King Crimson as the creators of art-rock, progressive rock and indie-rock
30th October 2007 10:26 PM
mojoman
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
If we mean all kind of rock definitively we have King Crimson as the creators of art-rock, progressive rock and indie-rock

not pink floyd?
30th October 2007 10:42 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mojoman wrote:

not pink floyd?

Definitivaly NO, Pink Floyd started as part of the British Psychedelic era earlier but Pink Floyd turned into progressive after King Crimson

30th October 2007 11:30 PM
Bitch Beatles
Stones
Dylan
Hendrix
Dead
31st October 2007 12:45 AM
Lethargy Ronnie B Goode
31st October 2007 08:25 AM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

Stones and 'not cashing in'? huh?

quote:
Bruce Springsteen for being the best stage performer in Rock 'N' Roll.

No arguments from me with that one, but your question asked about 'influence' which is a separate thing entirely. I could rhyme off at least 20 acts who would be more 'influential' than Bruce.
31st October 2007 08:44 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

The Beatles- The first band to actually write their own songs, nobody did that before in Rock 'N' Roll.

I never understood the fuss about the Beatles and songwriting. There weren't all that many "band" bands before the early-'60s. But there were quite a few notable proto-singer-songwriters even before Dylan -- Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, etc.

If John and Paul had emerged, ex nihilo, as the first singers who performed their own material in the history of pop music, that would be one thing. But their self-containment wasn't an innovation so much as it was a consolidation; essentially, they were a collective of singer-songwriters.
31st October 2007 09:17 AM
Gazza No way were the Beatles were the first band in rock n roll history to write their own songs. Singer-songwriting was hardly that new by 1962 and its inconceivable that other groups prior to them weren't doing so.

The Everly Brothers and The Crickets certainly wrote a sizeable amount of their own material.
31st October 2007 10:46 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Ronnie B Goode

Jimmy Vaughan
31st October 2007 11:10 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:

This does not explain Miss You or Emotional Rescue.
31st October 2007 12:28 PM
LoveinVainRonnie Since we're talking about Bob and The Beatles, I was reading this...From Robert Shelton, No Direction Home, March 1966 interview with Bob Dylan

"I'm not going to be accepted, but I would like to be accepted...by the Hogtown Dispatch literary crowd, who wear violets in their crotch and make sure that they get on all the movie and TV reviews and also write about ladies' auxiliary meetings and the PTA gatherings, you know, all in the same column. I would like to be accepted by them people. But I don't think I'm ever going to be. Whereas the Beatles have been." Did he want the Beatles' sort of acceptance? "No, no, no...I'm not saying that. I'm just saying the Beatles have arrived right? In all music forms, whether Stravingsky or Leopold Jake the Second, who plays in the Five Spot, the Black Muslim Twins, or whatever. They play songs like 'Michelle' and 'Yesterday.' A lot of smoothness there."
When I told him Joan Baez planned to record "Yesterday" on her next album, Bob responded:"Yeah, it's the thing to do, to tell all the teeny-boppers, 'I dig the Beatles,' and you sing a song like 'Yesterday' or 'Michelle.' Hey, God knows, it's such a cop-out man, both of those songs. If you go into the Library of Congress, you can find a lot better than that. There are millions of songs like 'Michelle' and 'Yesterday' written in Tin Pan Alley."
[Edited by LoveinVainRonnie]
31st October 2007 12:43 PM
LoveinVainRonnie From Net Hentoff, Playboy, March 1966, Bob Dylan talking about Rock N Roll ...

Playboy: Why do you think rock and roll has become such an international phenomenon?

Dylan: I can't really think that there is any rock and roll. Actually when you think about it, anything that has no real existence is bound to become an international phenomenon. Anyway, what does it mean, rock and roll? Does it mean Beatles, does it mean John Lee Hooker, Bobby Vinton, Jerry Lewis' kid? What about Lawrence Welk? He must play a few rock-and-roll songs. Are these people the same? Is Ricky Nelson like Otis Redding? Is Mick Jagger really Ma Rainey? I can tell by the way people hold their cigarettes if they like Ricky Nelson. I couldn't care less if somebody likes Ricky Nelson. But I think we're getting off the track here. There isn't any Ricky Nelson. There isn't any Beatles; Oh I take that back: there are a lot of beetles. But there isn't any Bobby Vinton. Anyway, the word is not "international phenomenon"; the word is "parental nightmare."

[Edited by LoveinVainRonnie]
31st October 2007 12:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:

This does not explain Miss You or Emotional Rescue.

Or Streets of Love on 'days of our lives'....

The horror! The horror!
31st October 2007 12:58 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Or Streets of Love on 'days of our lives'....

The horror! The horror!

Let's face it: TV is the new radio. (See: Fox News article you posted in the Bruce thread.)

Now, choosing a really bad TV show to expose your new music is another matter.
31st October 2007 01:03 PM
Gazza Am I the only one who's surprised that no one mentioned James Brown?
31st October 2007 01:06 PM
Dan Ramones
31st October 2007 02:30 PM
pdog seeing as how the thread subject of one, doesn't apply to the list of names in the first post, I'll say this. There isn't anyone, and even the most famous and recognizable can't take credit. It's a movement, it has no real begining and no end, it just exists, now shut the fuck up, turn the volume up and rock the fuck out!
31st October 2007 02:36 PM
MrPleasant Phil Spector
Pete Townshend
31st October 2007 02:37 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Am I the only one who's surprised that no one mentioned James Brown?

Influential...but not top 5 influential

Most influential rock album? Exile on Main Street...Mayebe not so much for its content, but its format and its mastery of the whole concept of what an album should be
31st October 2007 02:41 PM
lotsajizz some....
Elvis
Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Everly Brothers
Beatles
James Brown
Stones
Yardbirds
Dylan
Byrds
Who
Airplane
Dead
Cream
Velvet Underground
Sly & the Family Stone
Doors
Iggy
The Wailers (original)
MC 5
Zeppelin
King Crimson
Allmans
NY Dolls
Bowie
Roxy Music
Ramones
Eno
Pistols
Talking Heads
Blondie
Clash
Prince
Police
Black Flag
GnR
31st October 2007 03:43 PM
LoveinVainRonnie I'm going to say "The Faces." Sure, not the top 5 , but somewhere on a list they should be. Glen said "There would be no sex pistols without the faces" so yeah.
31st October 2007 03:44 PM
Sid Vicious Me!
31st October 2007 03:59 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
glencar wrote:
Highly subjective matter. I choose not to participate.

You hit the hammer right on the nail...

There is much debate as to what should be considered the most influencial rock and roll group. According to some experts, a leading contender is "Rocket 88" by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats (in fact, Ike Turner and his band The Kings of Rhythm), recorded by Sam Phillips for Sun Records in 1951. Three years later, Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" (1954) became the first rock and roll song to top Billboard magazine's main sales and airplay charts, and opened the door worldwide for this new wave of popular culture. Rolling Stone magazine argued in 2004 that "That's All Right (Mama)" (also 1954), Elvis Presley's first single for Sun Records in Memphis, was the first rock and roll record[6]. But, at the same time, Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle & Roll", later covered by Haley, was already at the top of the Billboard R&B charts.

Turner was one of many forerunners. His 1939 recording, "Roll 'Em Pete", is close to '50s rock and roll. Sister Rosetta Tharpe was also recording shouting, stomping music in the 1930s and 1940s that in some ways contained major elements of mid-1950s rock and roll. She scored hits on the pop charts as far back as 1938 with her gospel songs, such as "This Train" and "Rock Me", and in the 1940s with "Strange Things Happenin Every Day", "Up Above My Head", and "Down By The Riverside." Other significant records of the 1940s and early 1950s included Roy Brown's "Good Rocking Tonight" and Hank Williams' "Move It On Over" (both 1947); Jimmy Preston's "Rock the Joint" and Fats Domino's "The Fat Man" (both 1949); and Les Paul and Mary Ford's "How High the Moon" (1951).

Both rock and roll and boogie woogie have four beats (usually broken down into eight eighth-notes/quavers) to a bar, and are twelve-bar blues. Rock and roll however has a greater emphasis on the backbeat than boogie woogie. Little Richard combined boogie-woogie piano with a heavy backbeat and over-the-top, shouted, gospel-influenced vocals that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame says "blew the lid off the '50s." However, others before Little Richard were combining these elements, including Esquerita, Cecil Gant, Amos Milburn, Piano Red, and Harry Gibson. Little Richard's wild style, with shouts and "wooo wooos," had itself been used by female gospel singers, including the 1940s' Marion Williams. Roy Brown did a Little Richard style "yaaaaaaww" long before Richard in "Ain't No Rockin no More."

Bo Diddley's 1955 hit "Bo Diddley" backed with "I'm A Man" introduced a new, pounding beat, and unique guitar playing that inspired many artists. Other artists with early rock 'n' roll hits were Chuck Berry and Little Richard, as well as many vocal doo-wop groups. Within the decade crooners such as Eddie Fisher, Perry Como, and Patti Page, who had dominated the previous decade of popular music, found their access to the pop charts significantly curtailed
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)