ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Cardinals Stadium Phoenix, AZ - 8th November 2006
© Ralph Freso / East Valley Tribune
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 18: Tracklisting Confirmed Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
3rd November 2006 12:20 AM
Sir Stonesalot OK, I'm a fool then. And happy to be that way.

I don't like The edge's guitar sound. Too thin and tinny for me...not enough beef. I like big fat in your face guitars. Bono's voice is, like Robert Plant's, like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. And I don't need socially conscious lyrics. I like songs about drinkin' and fuckin' and cracked minds, and....

Wait a minute.

Why the fuck am I explaining myself to you?

I like what I like. I don't give a fuck if you like the same shit as me or not. If I say it's "watered down", then it IS fucking watered down TO ME. So go change your cotton Dockers, put on a fresh Izod polo, and hop in yer Dodge Caravan and listen to Joshua Tree. Don't mean shit to me. I got The Stooges turned up too loud to hear what yer sayin' anyhow.
3rd November 2006 12:24 AM
StarvinMarvin Oh wow, you're so "hip" and "different" and "superior." You listen to the Stooges. Holy fuck. That's so great. You're right, they are so much better than U2

*rolls eyes*

*makes wanking motion*

*laughs uproariously at his own jokes*

If you don't like U2, fine. But don't try to tell me that they're worse than The Stooges. That's a joke.
3rd November 2006 01:00 AM
glencar
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>U2 rocks!<

Hmmmm. Well U2 does something, but I wouldn't call it "rocks". Just like I don't think ABB "rocks". It's something else altogether. Maybe it's "rock" for the business casual slacks and mini-van set.

If U2, and ABB "rock" for you...that's great, and I have no problems with it. I just think we have 2 different definitions for what that means. I just don't like it when your "rock" gets lumped in with my "rock"...it waters my "rock" down. Guess there's really not much I can do about it though...

I was sort of joking with Puggy. I don't think U2 rocks like the Stones at their height did but I still like them anyway. And you & I will never agree about ABB.
3rd November 2006 04:48 AM
Ronnie Richards 1. The bland mediocrity of U2's last albums is appaling - especially in view of the fact that they once did make music that mattered (up to and including Achtung Baby).

2. You can't possibly discuss rock'n'roll with people who think U2 are better than the Stooges.
3rd November 2006 11:03 AM
Egbert
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
1. The bland mediocrity of U2's last albums is appaling - especially in view of the fact that they once did make music that mattered (up to and including Achtung Baby).

2. You can't possibly discuss rock'n'roll with people who think U2 are better than the Stooges.

You are a wise man, Ronnie.
3rd November 2006 11:08 AM
Some Guy All That You Can't Leave Behind is very good.
3rd November 2006 03:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Actually, I can think of 648 bands that better Rock n Roll bands than U2. Just off the top of my head. If I really sat down and thought about it, I could probably come up with 127 more.

And Ronnie Richards is dead on. If you think U2 are better than the Stooges then there is no sense even talking to you about music. You are in an entirely different place than I am.

Enjoy that new LL Bean catalogue Starvin'!
3rd November 2006 07:23 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Those were wonderful times that I had with him, sharing insights about the fate of the nations and drinking cold lemonade.

This reminds me of a line from the Academy Award Winning motion picture "American Beauty" (and, no, it's not the one that says: "I suck dick for money"): "Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." And, because of you, George, my whole body trembles with love. Thank you, George W. Bush, for making my whole body tremble.
3rd November 2006 07:42 PM
glencar Bono, you are indeed love!
3rd November 2006 07:48 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
glencar wrote:
Bono, you are indeed love!

I am a walking orgasm!
4th November 2006 12:31 AM
StarvinMarvin Can you name a single good Stooges song? Didn't think so. I agree that the Stooges are more "rock 'n roll" than U2, but that doesn't make them the better band. I respect Iggy Pop as a great rock 'n roll showman, but he can't sing worth a shit and couldn't write a good song if his life depended on it.
[Edited by StarvinMarvin]
4th November 2006 09:15 AM
Sir Stonesalot I Wanna be Your Dog
No Fun
Search & Destroy
Real Cool Time
Gimme Danger
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
Raw Power
Shake Appeal
Down On The Street
TV Eye
Rich Bitch
Cock In My Pocket
Head On
Death Trip
I Got A Right
Dirt
Funhouse
Loose

I'm sure there's some more great ones that I'm missing to. And that's just The Stooges...Iggy has an equally long list of great ones that are Stoogeless. If you really want me to compile a list of those, I will.

>I agree that the Stooges are more "rock 'n roll" than U2<

Thanks for making my point jackass.
4th November 2006 11:46 AM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I Wanna be Your Dog
No Fun
Search & Destroy
Real Cool Time
Gimme Danger
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
Raw Power
Shake Appeal
Down On The Street
TV Eye
Rich Bitch
Cock In My Pocket
Head On
Death Trip
I Got A Right
Dirt
Funhouse
Loose

I'm sure there's some more great ones that I'm missing to. And that's just The Stooges...Iggy has an equally long list of great ones that are Stoogeless. If you really want me to compile a list of those, I will.

>I agree that the Stooges are more "rock 'n roll" than U2<

Thanks for making my point jackass.

And thanks for making my point that the U2 are a better band, with better songs.
4th November 2006 03:07 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
StarvinMarvin wrote:
Can you name a single good Stooges song? I respect Iggy Pop as a great rock 'n roll showman, but he can't sing worth a shit and couldn't write a good song if his life depended on it.
[Edited by StarvinMarvin]

Down on the Street
Raw Power
Loose
Death trip
Dirt...there are more, but you just wanted one and I gave you five.

Iggy is a great singer and a songwriter..., but he's not for the unwashed masses.

But, if you don't get it, you just won't get it.

4th November 2006 05:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well Starvin' it goes like this. I like Rock n Roll. You yourself said that a band like the Stooges are more Rock n Roll than U2. So if a band like The Stooges are more Rock n Roll then it only makes sense that I would like them better, and consider them to be the better band...no?

I prefer any of the songs on that list of Stooges songs to anything that U2 has ever done.

You should not confuse what YOU like and YOUR preferences for what I like and MY preferences. Get it yet? U2 are a POP band(didn't they even call an album Pop or something like that?). Stooges are a Rock n Roll band. I prefer Rock n Roll to Pop. U2 may be the better band to YOU, but they aren't to me...and obviously by reading this thread...there are many others that feel the same way I do. Just as there are others that agree with you. It's a subjective thing dude. For you to project your preferences onto others, and to excoriate others simply because their preferences don't jibe with yours...it's lame. Grow up.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
4th November 2006 05:49 PM
StarvinMarvin
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

It's a subjective thing dude. For you to project your preferences onto others, and to excoriate others simply because their preferences don't jibe with yours...it's lame. Grow up.

My glass eye just about popped out when I read your post - I was laughig so hard. You've got to be kidding me. First, you insult other people for liking U2 (i.e. U2 fans all drive mini-vans 'cause they're so NOT rock 'n roll like you so clearly are). Fair enough, it's just your opinion. No problem. But then you get your pink, frilly panties all tied in a knot because someone "dares" to "challenge" you on it, and worse yet, they insult one of YOUR favorite bands (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). To top it all off, you are upset because you feel that someone has violated your highly cherished "conviction" that music appreciation is subjective - despite the fact that you feel comfortable throwing your opinions around like they're the gospel truth.
4th November 2006 07:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot >If U2, and ABB "rock" for you...that's great, and I have no problems with it.<

I don't know how I could have made it any clearer.

But whatever. This whole this is boring me.

So you go ahead and have the last word if you need to feel superior...I'm done wasting my time with you in a conversation about fucking U2.
4th November 2006 09:59 PM
WattsAtScotts Sir Stonesalot:

If seem to know a ton about music, any new bands you could recommend me? I really like The Zutons, any info would be great
4th November 2006 10:14 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Novaks
The Devil's Own
I Can Lick Any Son of a Bitch in The House
Drive By Truckers
The SuperSuckers
Radio Birdman
Soledad Brothers
Deadstring Brothers
Len Price 3
The Blue Van
The Sights
Electric 6
The Charms
The Chesterfield Kings
The Fuzztones
The Shazam
The Insomniacs
Ian McLagan & The Bump Band
The Fleshtones

Got more when yer ready...
4th November 2006 10:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh, I forgot a few others...

The Detroit Cobras
The Reigning Sound
The Compulsive Gamblers
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Warlocks
4th November 2006 10:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot You can find most of these bands on MySpace. You can hear some of their songs...some have videos and live clips too.

It's a good way to check them out without spending a dime. Then you can just buy whatever tickles yer eardrums the most. What you can't get in the Amazon Marketplace, you can get at CDBaby, or you can always buy direct from the band.
5th November 2006 03:32 PM
WattsAtScotts The Novaks and The Fuzztones fuckin' rock! Have u ever heard of Zo2?
5th November 2006 04:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot Zo2...they're from NYC right? A trio if memory serves. Sorta hard/classic rock? I think I have them as a MySpace "friend"....but I don't own any of their releases.
5th November 2006 04:45 PM
WattsAtScotts
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Zo2...they're from NYC right? A trio if memory serves. Sorta hard/classic rock? I think I have them as a MySpace "friend"....but I don't own any of their releases.

It's pretty awesome stuff, check out American Dog, drunk rock at it's finest or Union, their very good
5th November 2006 04:48 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Oh, I forgot a few others...

The Detroit Cobras
The Reigning Sound
The Compulsive Gamblers
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
The Warlocks

I've heard the Cobras - they are very good and original
5th November 2006 05:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot Original is not a word I'd use with the Cobras...they are a cover band. As far as I know, they have exactly one original song...a song called Hot Dog that was co-written by Greg Cartwright of Oblivians/Reigning Sound fame.

Doesn't stop them from kicking ass though. Their records are great. They can be hit and miss live...depending on how fucked up Rachel gets before the show.
5th November 2006 05:23 PM
speedfreakjive [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Original is not a word I'd use with the Cobras...they are a cover band. As far as I know, they have exactly one original song...a song called Hot Dog that was co-written by Greg Cartwright of Oblivians/Reigning Sound fame.

Doesn't stop them from kicking ass though. Their records are great. They can be hit and miss live...depending on how fucked up Rachel gets before the show.
[/quote/]

didn't know that, I thought it sounded original, but then I haven't heard the rest of that scene/genre.
5th November 2006 05:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot Most of the songs they cover are old R&B chestnuts that they have rescued from obscurity. Although they cover well known artists like Otis Redding too.
5th November 2006 06:07 PM
WattsAtScotts Anybody like Hoodoo Gurus
5th November 2006 08:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot I have every Hoodoo Gurus album...including the Oz only releases. They are one of my all-time faves.

Do you know about The Persian Rugs? It's a Hoodoo side project...and they kick ass. They also have one of the best music videos I've ever seen. It features chesty Go-Go girls, bare chested, shaking their tits in time to the song....and the band are all dressed up like cavemen. Hilarious.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)