ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Another great cover by Fernando, Congratulations!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Yankees vs. Marlins Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-17-03 09:51 AM
LadyJane Just curious how it breaks down.....who are you routing for??

Me---Go Yankees!! HATE MIAMI TEAMS!!!

LadyJ.
10-17-03 09:53 AM
steel driving hammer Da Yanks.
10-17-03 11:11 AM
scope Yankees, of course! Squish the fish - too bad Josh
10-17-03 11:13 AM
nankerphelge It so doesn't matter.

Beating the Sox is the pinnacle.

The Marlins could sweep the Yanks -- nothing will top last night!

Where's Nelly? Someone take his belt and shoelaces...
10-17-03 11:29 AM
Maxmeister
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It so doesn't matter.

Beating the Sox is the pinnacle.

The Marlins could sweep the Yanks -- nothing will top last night!

Where's Nelly? Someone take his belt and shoelaces...

Yeeesssss to the first two points!!!

One question though. How in the hell do you put a whole city on suicide watch?

Walk off homer me, Ronnie!!!
10-17-03 04:53 PM
parmeda This is a no brainer!

"THE FUCKIN' YANKEES"
10-17-03 04:59 PM
Joey

The Cubbies !

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
10-17-03 05:31 PM
glencar Too late, Joey. Da Crubs blew it. Is that kid still breathing? I bet the Chicago Mob will rub him out.
10-17-03 05:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot I don't give a flying fuck who wins.

I'm rooting for the Rolling Stones.
10-17-03 05:38 PM
Zeeta not rounders again guys!!!!

Stop or I'll start talkin' cricket and yopu WILL get bored!
10-17-03 05:39 PM
glencar You ever go to Jagger's cricket site? Is it still around?
10-17-03 06:50 PM
littleredrooster Even Jagger is a Jankee fan!
Winners love winners not whiners!

JANKEES!!!

Masticate the MARLINS !!!!
10-17-03 10:42 PM
Some Guy NY
10-17-03 10:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot Manchester United!!!
10-18-03 01:46 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
scope wrote:
Yankees, of course! Squish the fish - too bad Josh

Since I never see this great Stones fan hanging around here very much, I thought I'd just take the moment to let everyone know that he is:

the "Scopey"

Hall of Fame Poster

If you missed the induction ceremony, well...you missed the greatness of a Scope tailgate!

Cheers, my friend!

Its a Mongo!
10-18-03 07:02 AM
Zeeta Yorkshire County Cricket Club!!!
10-18-03 07:46 AM
stewed & Keefed Kent County Cricket Club!!!
Gillingham FC!!!

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
10-18-03 09:17 AM
Honky Tonk Man I fucking HATE cricket!
10-18-03 09:51 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I fucking HATE cricket!

"You will mature Daniel son"

Is it the complexity that irritates you mate? I gott a say that genuinely it is my favourite sport - such skill and intelligence is required! The 4th Test at Headingly was a riot!

Alas I digress!!

"Caught him in the slips Ronnie!"
10-18-03 10:25 AM
Honky Tonk Man It has nothing to do with the complexity of it! The sport has just never apealed to me. I come from a football loving family. Gillingham on my dads side and Arsenal on my mums. I guess you like criket so much because its big where you come from.

Nah mate, criket just 'aint ma thing

Alex
10-18-03 10:42 AM
stewed & Keefed England down battling Boks

England 25-6 South Africa
MATCH SUMMARY

England 25 (6)
Try: Greenwood
Con: Wilkinson
Pens: Wilkinson (4)
Drops: Wilkinson (2)
South Africa: 6 (6)
Pens: Koen (2)
Pictures from Perth
The action as it happened

England took a giant step on their preferred path to the World Cup knock-out stages with a tense victory over South Africa in Perth.

Martin Johnson's men were far from their fluent best against a Springboks side that gave them a torrid test for an hour.

But a crucial try from centre Will Greenwood took England 19-6 clear and they held their nerve in the final quarter to preserve their Cup prospects.

Although two pool matches against Samoa and Uruguay remain, victories in those two would give England a likely quarter-final against Wales or Italy.

For the vanquished Springboks, a probable quarter-final against tournament favourites New Zealand beckons.

It might have been different had fly-half Louis Koen brought his kicking boots, four missed penalties in the first half costing his side dear.

It was a huge contest and I am relieved to have won

England coach Clive Woodward
More England reaction
The teams were locked together at 6-6 at half-time and England led only 12-6 after an hour, courtesy of four Jonny Wilkinson penalties.

But the crucial moment arrived after 63 minutes when flanker Lewis Moody charged down a clearing kick from Koen.

The alert Greenwood pounced to kick ahead and touch down to the relief and delight of England players and fans.

Wilkinson embellished the victory with two drop goals in the final 17 minutes to complete a 20-point personal haul.

Wilko's goalkicking secrets
But the efficiency and composure that have marked England's rise to the top of the world rankings was conspicuous by its absence for long periods.

They only visited South Africa's 22 on one occasion in the first half as the Springboks pack cranked up the pressure.

Wilkinson put a penalty on the board to settle early nerves, and England started brightly as they probed for weaknesses in the Springboks defence.

Tindall was denied in the first half
They almost broke through in the 11th minute after a break from Jason Robinson, only for Joe van Niekerk's try-saving tackle to deny Mike Tindall in the left corner.

Instead, South Africa drew level after a barnstorming break from number eight Juan Smith, Koen on target with his first kick at goal after Trevor Woodman conceded a penalty.

His second two minutes later, from halfway, dropped under the posts to England's relief as they struggled to build any momentum.

Their frustration was evident as they lost the ball in contact and Wilkinson sent a kick straight out on the full.

But England's record points scorer made amends with a second penalty after Springboks captain Corne Krige failed to bind properly at a scrum.

We want to apologise to the people back home

SA captain Corne Krige
More Springboks reaction
Koen had three opportunities in quick succession to bring South Africa level as England uncharacteristically conceded a series of penalties.

The stand-off's first attempt bounced back off the crossbar, but he pulled his next two badly, the second after Greenwood inexplicably forgot to touch the ball down behind the line.

Koen did land a shorter-range effort a minute before the interval, but the game remained an anxious affair.

England regained some composure on the resumption, the Springboks twice falling offside to allow Wilkinson to land two further penalties for a 12-6 lead.

But it was only after Greenwood's decisive try that Clive Woodward's side relaxed, their renowned defensive resilience and Wilkinson's reliable boot seeing them home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England: J Lewsey; J Robinson, W Greenwood, M Tindall , B Cohen; J Wilkinson, K Bracken; T Woodman, S Thompson, P Vickery, M Johnson (capt), B Kay, L Moody, N Back, L Dallaglio.
Replacements: D West, J Leonard, M Corry, J Worsley, A Gomarsall, P Grayson, DLuger.

South Africa: J v d Westhuyzen; A Willemse, J Muller, D W Barry, T Delport; L Koen, J v d Westhuizen; C Bezuidenhout, D Coetzee, R Bands, B Botha, V Matfield, C Krige (capt), J v Niekerk, J Smith.
Replacements: J Smit, L Sephaka, S Boome, D Rossouw, N De Kock, D Hougaard, W Greeff.

10-18-03 10:52 AM
stewed & Keefed Roy Keane's late header put Manchester United back on top of the Premiership with victory against Leeds United at Elland Road.

Manchester United's captain stole on to Gary Neville's cross to break the deadlock with nine minutes left as Leeds threatened to frustrate Sir Alex Ferguson's champions.

It also lifted the pressure on England defender Rio Ferdinand, who had been taunted by the crowd that once idolised him following the controversy surrounding his recent missed drugs test.

Manchester United's stay on the Premiership summit may be brief with leaders Chelsea facing Arsenal at Highbury later on Saturday, but Ferguson will simply be delighted with the three points.

Ferguson's plans to give youngster Cristiano Ronaldo a rest had to be shelved when Ryan Giggs was ruled out through illness.

Leeds counterpart Reid also restored 17-year-old James Milner after his loan spell at Swindon for only his second start of the season.

And Ronaldo was swiftly into the action when he was at the centre of a penalty controversy after five minutes.

KEY MOMENTS
62 mins: Cristiano Ronaldo strikes the post
81 mins: Roy Keane heads Man Utd in front
90 mins: Paul Scholes hits the bar

Ronaldo looked for a penalty from referee Graham Poll after tussling with Gary Kelly for a Mikael Silvestre through ball, but his appeals were waved away.

And in an eventful start, Ronaldo was then booked in the 14th minute for diving in attempting to win another penalty as he again tangled with Kelly.

Manchester United were making the early chances and Leeds goalkeeper Paul Robinson was forced to save at the second attempt from Paul Scholes.

Zoumana Camara then had to clear superbly from Darren Fletcher's cross, with Ruud van Nistelrooy lurking.

David Batty, back in the Leeds midfield, was in combative mood and he was booked after 40 minutes for a challenge on Ronaldo.

And Van Nistelrooy almost created an opening for Scholes five minutes after the break, but Robinson blocked again and Leeds scrambled to safety.

Leeds were not creating any clear-cut openings, but Reid's side were showing resilience and determination to keep the champions at bay.

United deserved the three points but Leeds still have enough talent to build on

From Red Tom
Have your say on 606

Van Nistelrooy escaped the attentions of the Leeds rearguard on the hour, but his chip did not have enough height to beat Robinson.

Leeds finally countered and posed a threat when Mark Viduka's flick sent Salomon Olembe clear, but when the ball fell to Jermaine Pennant he sliced wastefully wide.

Ronaldo - who was being jeered by an Elland Road crowd angered by his theatrics - flashed a swerving 25-yard drive narrowly wide.

Leeds were struggling to survive, and the pressure finally paid off with nine minutes left when Keane broke the deadlock.

Gary Neville took advantage of slack Leeds defending, and his far post cross was met by Keane's header.

Scholes should have doubled the advantage in injury-time when he struck the crossbar from close range.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leeds: Robinson, Kelly, Camara, Matteo, Olembe, Pennant, Batty, Seth Johnson, Milner, Viduka, Smith. Subs: Carson, Bridges, Sakho, Roque Junior, Lennon.

Man Utd: Howard, Gary Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, Fortune, Fletcher, Keane, Phil Neville, Ronaldo, Scholes, van Nistelrooy. Subs: Carroll, Butt, Djemba-Djemba, Forlan, O'Shea.

Referee: G Poll (Hertfordshire
10-18-03 02:08 PM
glencar Wow, cricket IS boring!
10-18-03 02:37 PM
LadyJane I don't know if boring is the word....I keep re-reading the Cricket posts and I'll be damned if I can figure out WTF the game is all about!!

LadyJ.
10-18-03 02:39 PM
glencar Apparently it takes a whole weekend to play a match. And as usual, the rest of the Commonwealth has surpassed England in the game.
10-18-03 02:51 PM
KeepRigid Puritty within 7.
10-18-03 02:53 PM
glencar I like "Van Nistelrooy" myself. I just can't figure out if it's a piece of equipment, a team or a player. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............
10-18-03 06:25 PM
littleredrooster Didn't Abner Doubleday invent cricket ??????

JANKEES!!!!!!
An extra Tahtah Sawss for me, Ronnie !!!
10-19-03 12:59 AM
Stonesthrow As SS once said-- ABTY: Anybody but the Yankees.
10-19-03 08:48 AM
Zeeta Yo cricket is the bomb! Skewed's posts were about rugby and the football so no-wonder ur confused! Cricket is the gentleman's game!

Page: 1 2