ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Beacon Theatre, NYC - 29th October 2006
© Beast
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bill 70 Return to archive Page: 1 2
24th October 2006 04:51 AM
F505 What to say? Good bass player but his whining about the Stones has become very tireseome. Bill has become an old bore and the Rhythm Kings is a band suitable to play at tea-party's.
24th October 2006 05:02 AM
FotiniD "The Rolling Stones make a video link appearance at Bill Wyman's looks on at his 70th birthday party at Ronnie Scotts Jazz club, on October 18, 2006 in London, England."

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72218389.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6D30496FC6CB34C65810F755E003CBEB8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72218388.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6D30496FC6CB34C6559D55AD35CA51490

24th October 2006 05:04 AM
F505
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
"The Rolling Stones make a video link appearance at Bill Wyman's looks on at his 70th birthday party at Ronnie Scotts Jazz club, on October 18, 2006 in London, England."

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72218389.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6D30496FC6CB34C65810F755E003CBEB8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72218388.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6D30496FC6CB34C6559D55AD35CA51490

What did they say?
24th October 2006 05:13 AM
FotiniD
quote:
F505 wrote:

What did they say?

Have no idea! I just found the pictures on Getty.
24th October 2006 05:35 AM
Moonisup they said:
it's good to be here, it's good to be anywhere, on with the show, gold rings on bill hrr hrr hrr

24th October 2006 05:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:
What to say? Good bass player but his whining about the Stones has become very tireseome. Bill has become an old bore and the Rhythm Kings is a band suitable to play at tea-party's.

I'm not so sure that he's 'whining' that much. Look at it in context. Any journalist who interviews Bill isnt really going to be interested in the Rhythm Kings, coin collecting or his restaurants. They're going to want to hear about the Stones and Mandy bloody Smith. I've seen quite a few newspaper headlines in Bill interviews over the last couple of years where its been implied that he's having a blast at the Stones whereas when you read the text and tone of the interview its not really THAT bad and he says nice things about them as well. You can bet that its only the 'whining' extracts that get quoted and syndicated, however. You'll never see a headline which says "Charlie and I talk on the phone every week". Its a bit of a catch-22 for Bill, unfortunately. He obviously needs the publicity to promote whatever project he's doing, but the journalists who interview him arent really interested in that and have their own 'angle'. No wonder he sounds frustrated!

My attitude to Bill is basically that it took a lot of balls to walk away from the life he had. He was a wealthy man but not on the same scale as Mick or Keith, but decided that his heart wasnt in the music anymore, so he was honest enough to admit that and quit. It would have been very easy and lucrative for him to go through the motions and do it for the money but he resisted the temptation. And I dont get the impression he's regretted doing so.

Happy birthday Bill.

24th October 2006 06:52 AM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I'm not so sure that he's 'whining' that much. Look at it in context. Any journalist who interviews Bill isnt really going to be interested in the Rhythm Kings, coin collecting or his restaurants. They're going to want to hear about the Stones and Mandy bloody Smith. I've seen quite a few newspaper headlines in Bill interviews over the last couple of years where its been implied that he's having a blast at the Stones whereas when you read the text and tone of the interview its not really THAT bad and he says nice things about them as well. You can bet that its only the 'whining' extracts that get quoted and syndicated, however. You'll never see a headline which says "Charlie and I talk on the phone every week". Its a bit of a catch-22 for Bill, unfortunately. He obviously needs the publicity to promote whatever project he's doing, but the journalists who interview him arent really interested in that and have their own 'angle'. No wonder he sounds frustrated!

My attitude to Bill is basically that it took a lot of balls to walk away from the life he had. He was a wealthy man but not on the same scale as Mick or Keith, but decided that his heart wasnt in the music anymore, so he was honest enough to admit that and quit. It would have been very easy and lucrative for him to go through the motions and do it for the money but he resisted the temptation. And I dont get the impression he's regretted doing so.

Happy birthday Bill.

Well OK, but Bill shouldn't forget that he owes his fame to the Stones. So it isn't that strange when journalists ask him about the Stones and he shouldn't be too frustrated about that. Of course Bill knows bloody well his own talents are very restricted. The only reason the Rhythm Kings get publicity is because Bill Wyman is a former Stone and not because of Bill's musical significance.
24th October 2006 10:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Dudes old. Happy 7-O Bill.

24th October 2006 10:45 AM
GotToRollMe Happy Birthday, Bill!
24th October 2006 10:46 AM
Jumacfly Happy B day to my bass master
24th October 2006 10:51 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
24th October 2006 10:58 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Cute shirt. I wonder if she knows what it means. Well, she'll find out soon enough I suppose.
24th October 2006 01:23 PM
MrPleasant I absolutely love Bill. Maybe it's because of "If You Wanna Be Happy". I don't know.
24th October 2006 02:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:

Well OK, but Bill shouldn't forget that he owes his fame to the Stones. So it isn't that strange when journalists ask him about the Stones and he shouldn't be too frustrated about that. Of course Bill knows bloody well his own talents are very restricted. The only reason the Rhythm Kings get publicity is because Bill Wyman is a former Stone and not because of Bill's musical significance.

You could make a similar argument about any solo project made by any member of the Stones. Including Mick's.
24th October 2006 02:53 PM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You could make a similar argument about any solo project made by any member of the Stones. Including Mick's.

100 % correct!!!!
24th October 2006 02:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
F505 wrote:
100 % correct!!!!

86.2%
24th October 2006 02:58 PM
mojoman happy birthday bill!!!
24th October 2006 02:58 PM
F505
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

86.2%

LOL, well okay!
24th October 2006 03:41 PM
mrhipfl Happy Birthday!!
Do the rhythm kings tour at all? How frequently do they put on a show?
24th October 2006 03:52 PM
glencar Happy Birthday to a VERY old man!
24th October 2006 07:09 PM
Soldatti Bass and dancing: Bill Wyman
Happy birthday Bill!
24th October 2006 07:37 PM
Honky Tonk Man Happy Birthday Bill Wyman!
24th October 2006 07:40 PM
StarvinMarvin holy shit, i can't believe he's that old. 70? he looks pretty good for his age though....can't say the same for the other Stones.

Quitting the Stones probably added at least a decade to his life span, i would imagine....
24th October 2006 07:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Happy Birthday!!
Do the rhythm kings tour at all? How frequently do they put on a show?

Very regularly - but they only play the UK and northern Europe for the most part
24th October 2006 08:09 PM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Very regularly - but they only play the UK and northern Europe for the most part

why is that?
24th October 2006 08:12 PM
Gazza as you may remember, one of Bill's reasons for leaving the Stones was that he doesnt like to fly anymore
24th October 2006 08:18 PM
mojoman thanx fer the info gazza. i didnt remember that he didnt like to fly. too bad i really would love to see them play here in the states.
24th October 2006 09:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
mojoman wrote:
thanx fer the info gazza. i didnt remember that he didnt like to fly. too bad i really would love to see them play here in the states.

he developed a fear of flying in the latter part of the 1989-90 tour - and it got to the stage that when the tour reached Europe he ended up driving to gigs instead of flying

I think he DID manage to make it to the east coast of the US three or four years ago for some promotional work or a couple of shows, but I doubt he'll ever be back.

Its a bit of a reverse from the Stones way of working.

Bill spends all his time in Europe and never goes to the US and the Stones do the opposite....
25th October 2006 03:28 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

he developed a fear of flying in the latter part of the 1989-90 tour - and it got to the stage that when the tour reached Europe he ended up driving to gigs instead of flying

What do you know, that's one of Bill's crazy decisions I actually agree with and understand
25th October 2006 04:06 AM
Mathijs >>
>>

But the Stones shouldn't forget that without the Bill Wyman the Stones would not have been or become the Greatest R&R Band in the World. Bill's talents may be limited, but he has the talent to make any band groove in a way no other bassist can do. Without Wyman no Stones rythm section, no groove, no roll (as is now with Daryl: it rocks sometimes, but there's no roll). In the end, Wyman's part in the Stones is equally important as the song writing of Jagger and Richards. Wyman's role and influence to the music of the Stones is in the end more important than the role of Jones, Taylor and Wood.

Mathijs
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)