ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Rehearsals for the R&R Circus - Londonderry Hotel - 8th December 1968
© 1968 The Daily Express Archives with thanks to moy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Birthday, Martha!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
October 17th, 2004 04:30 PM
Some Guy What a great thread!

Happiest Birthday to You!!

October 18th, 2004 12:57 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Martha wrote:
Madafaka, You are getting 2 pieces of that cake.....with ice cream! Thank you darlin'!

Thank YOU Martha!
Be happy!
October 18th, 2004 11:17 AM
glencar I don't know who recommended that Bob Dylan Time Out Of Mind CD or if it was even on this thread but I did receive it as a gift & it is magnificent. I will buy Love & Theft shortly.
October 18th, 2004 12:15 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Martha wrote:

Lazy Bones, you made me cry....what a lovely thing to say. And I love the lyrics you chose! I admit (with great embarrassment) that I do not know what song that is from.

She Belongs To Me. Quite frankly, the "search the lyrics" tool on bobdylan.com is a great way to find appropriate lyrics for people who 'dig' the man.

"Cherry bomb", eh....
October 18th, 2004 02:43 PM
Joey " Joey>>>is there something in my underwear drawer or NOT????? Walk that little buddy of yours right on over here and pronto! You my dear Stonesian Prince, keep my spirits up like no one else can. I mean that. And I love you for it. Thank you for caring about me and for all of your prayers this past year. They've helped me more than you can know. BTW, Johnny will be the musical guest on Letterman this Monday (18th). Let's watch it together! :-) Jacky! "

Amen My Stonesian Queen ................

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/index.shtml

I put a little something in your " Underwear Drawer " early this morning -- Enjoy !

Jacky !

October 18th, 2004 03:35 PM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
I don't know who recommended that Bob Dylan Time Out Of Mind CD or if it was even on this thread but I did receive it as a gift & it is magnificent. I will buy Love & Theft shortly.

It was discussed in antoher Bob thread...and it is my favorite album of all time.....out of mind! I want to nuzzle you!
October 18th, 2004 03:37 PM
Martha
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

She Belongs To Me. Quite frankly, the "search the lyrics" tool on bobdylan.com is a great way to find appropriate lyrics for people who 'dig' the man.

"Cherry bomb", eh....

Is Bob going to play that one for me then? :-)
October 18th, 2004 04:35 PM
TMR
quote:
Martha wrote:
Is Bob going to play that one for me then? :-)

eh, probably not. But I can cut you a copy of "Paint the Daytime Black" which is an excellent SBD copy of a show in '74 that is a must have!! Though, I won't be doing this until I settle in my new city. You can then crank it up and play it loud in your living room!!
October 18th, 2004 07:39 PM
glencar Martha, nuzzle away but don't hurt Joey in the process! I hope you don't mind another Dylan question. Is tehre a version of Love & Theft that includes "Things Have Changed"?
October 18th, 2004 08:12 PM
Gazza 'fraid not.

You can only get it on the "Wonder Boys" soundtrack or on either of these two Dylan compilations "Best of Vol. 2" or "The Essential Bob Dylan"
October 18th, 2004 08:20 PM
glencar OK, thanks. I checked out Dylan's stuff & wondered why it wasn't on anything but the Greatest Hits collection. I've already got teh first three GH collections so I won't bother with The Essential.
October 18th, 2004 08:23 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
TMR wrote:

But I can cut you a copy of "Paint the Daytime Black" which is an excellent SBD copy of a show in '74 that is a must have!!

Valentine's Day, 1974 - Inglewood Forum. Ballad of A Thin Man, All Along The Watchtower and an edited version of Blowin' In The Wind from Before The Flood are all from this (afternoon) show. The boot does have a few cuts from the evening show, also.

front

back

October 18th, 2004 10:26 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Valentine's Day, 1974 - Inglewood Forum. Ballad of A Thin Man, All Along The Watchtower and an edited version of Blowin' In The Wind from Before The Flood are all from this (afternoon) show. The boot does have a few cuts from the evening show, also.

front

back

I have "Before the Flood" and I love that one.
October 19th, 2004 10:01 AM
Martha I am DROOLING...thank you very much TMR and Lazy Bones! Do not have that o e in my collection.....yet.

:-)

Oh....... you don't know......... the shape I'm IN!
October 19th, 2004 12:13 PM
scope Martha, I am so sorry I missed your birthday. Please accept my sincerest apology and lame ass excuse that I've been too busy lately to make sure I get my daily dose of Rocks Off. Hope it was grand 'cause you certainly deserve it!

October 19th, 2004 04:30 PM
Martha
quote:
scope wrote:
Martha, I am so sorry I missed your birthday. Please accept my sincerest apology and lame ass excuse that I've been too busy lately to make sure I get my daily dose of Rocks Off. Hope it was grand 'cause you certainly deserve it!

Scopey! YOU are as minty fresh as ever! Thank you for the kind words. No apology needed, I understand completely. I know I've missed other people's b-days who post here myself (and I apolgize for that too).....it's easy to be busy all the time in this day and age.

hugs and peace to you darlin'
Martha
October 19th, 2004 04:43 PM
TomL MaRTHA I will save that hug for you. I'll let Doug know. Till the next time........
October 20th, 2004 11:11 AM
Martha
quote:
TomL wrote:
MaRTHA I will save that hug for you. I'll let Doug know. Till the next time........

I am saving a hug for you and Stonesdoug too darlin'! And I cannot wait to be at our next Stones concert together! It can't get here soon enough!

xxxooo,

MArtha
Roll roll roll me........call me the tumblin'
diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice......
October 20th, 2004 12:02 PM
Gazza Martha

Are you going to see Steve Earle in Cleveland tomorrow?
October 20th, 2004 01:47 PM
parmeda For Gazza...
And I have to add, this particular reporter is a horse's ass when it come to reviewing. However, I have to admit that his last paragraph is the most impressive piece of work that I've read from him in a looooooooong time, lol. (I have to wonder if he "borrowed it" from someone else...it is so, not like him!)

STEVE EARLE: Revolution Rock of The Highest Order

October 18, 2004
Chicago SunTimes
BY JIM DEROGATIS - Pop Music Critic

As one of the "blue" states, Illinois missed the most high-profile shows on the recent Vote for Change tour. But we got something even better on Saturday night.

Veteran roots-rocker and longtime Chicago favorite Steve Earle came to the Vic Theatre with an agenda: to remind people that music has the power to change the world by motivating anyone who is willing to listen.

As he did on his recent album, Earle book-ended his set with two versions of his undeniable new anthem, "The Revolution Starts ... ," one mellow, the other more fiery. During the reprise, when the sold-out crowd enthusiastically provided the declaration that comes at the end of that ellipsis -- "NOW!" -- it underscored the fact that Earle's vision can't be dismissed as mere idealism or a quaintly outdated notion from the '60s.

"Last night I had a dream / That the world had turned around / And all our hopes had come to be / And the people gathered 'round," Earle sang. "They all brought what they could bring / And nobody went without / And I learned a song to sing / The revolution starts now!" he sang.

The singer-songwriter paid homage to the role models for this most outspoken phase of an unequivocal career when he performed "Christmas in Washington" -- leading the crowd in resounding choruses of "Come back, Woody Guthrie" -- and spurred his astounding backing band, the Dukes, through a potent cover of the Beatles' "Revolution," a song about the topic that also came in "hot" and "cool" versions.

But the strongest moments of the 2-1/2-hour performance all hailed from the new album, which, to my ears, is the best of Earle's distinguished career.

The performer has never struck deeper, more profoundly humanistic chords than he did when growling "Home to Houston," "The Gringo's Tale" and "Rich Man's War," a trio of tunes that bemoaned the use of young men and women as cannon fodder from three different perspectives. He's never been as spot-on as a satirist as he was crooning the calypso love song "Condi, Condi" to our National Security Adviser. And he's never sounded as angry or powerful as he was roaring through the punk-rocking "F the CC," railing at the censorious powers of the FCC, the FBI and the CIA.

Earle has always had an ear for choosing great musicians, but the current version of the Dukes is his strongest ever. Eric "Roscoe" Ambel was a guitar wizard, with a seemingly inexhaustible arsenal of six-string colors. Drummer Will Rigby ranged from the most sensitive Fairport Convention-style folk-rock textures to the most gonzo Keith Moon-inspired percussive explosions. And bassist Kelly Looney provided a nonstop melodic counterpoint as well as a hard-grooving bottom.

The other valuable addition to the evening was vocalist Allison Moorer.

Opening the show by fronting a two-guitar duo with Adam Landry, Moorer delivered a sleepy and predictable set of sub-Lilith Fair coffee-house balladry. But she came alive and sparked gloriously with Earle when joining him to provide the parts that were sung by Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams on the duets "Conspiracy Theory," "Comin' Around" and "You're Still Standing There."

Earle and the Dukes were called back for two well-deserved encores -- the first comprised of old favorites such as "Sweet Little '66" and "Guitar Town," and the second centered on another inspired and timely cover, the Chambers Brothers' "Time Has Come Today," which ended one of the best nights of live music I've had the privilege to share in the new millennium.

Never one to don the rose-colored glasses, Earle knows that music alone can't change the world. But it can elevate the spirit, one listener at a time. And that is something much more valuable.
October 21st, 2004 05:11 AM
Gazza Thanks Pammy!

saw that review a day or two ago - the Chicago Tribune guy wasnt quite as impressed though!

Going to see Steve when he plays here in 3 weeks. I cant fuckin' wait.
October 22nd, 2004 01:24 PM
Martha
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Martha

Are you going to see Steve Earle in Cleveland tomorrow?

He was in Cleveland last night and no we didn't get to go. Saw him the week before in Cincy and he rocked! Only 488 showed up so we got 20 feet from the stage no problem. And I could SEE!

You say you want a revolution?
Well, we all want to change the world.

Page: 1 2 3