ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Portland, Oregon Rose Garden 1st November 2005
© "The Register Guard" with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If ER were a double album? Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th October 2007 11:52 PM
aladdinstory I'm stealing this idea from Saint Sway, or more precisely running with his comment on another thread...if you could make ER a double album what would be your tracklisting...this is independent of what appeared on TTY, so you can include anything that was on TTY or following albums which existed as outtakes in '79. Even Cellophane Trousers aka Too Tough qualifies as a potential track.
13th October 2007 12:04 AM
Throwaway HMMMMM

Disc 1: Rockers

Where The Boys Go
Dance
Summer Romance
Let Me Go
Linda Lu
Do You Think I Really Care
She's So Cold
Neighbors
Claudine
So Young
BONUS TRACK: Dance Pt 2

Disc 2 Country/Ballads/Slower Stuff

Emotional Rescue
Think I'm Goin Mad
Send It To Me
Indian Girl
No Spare Parts
We Had It All
You Win Again
Down In The Hole
All About You
13th October 2007 12:23 AM
pdog dance is a rocker?
13th October 2007 12:27 AM
Bloozehound ER kicks ur ass out your mouth and feeds it to you
13th October 2007 12:29 AM
Throwaway
quote:
pdog wrote:
dance is a rocker?

Uptempo enough, but at its best it is close and at its worse it is almost Jagger-soloish.
13th October 2007 02:02 AM
robpop It would cost twice as much.
13th October 2007 10:36 AM
Some Guy You just blew my Fucking mind!!

Best Thread period.
13th October 2007 11:22 AM
gotdablouse Gangster's Moll !

Remove "Linda Lu" and replace by "Everlasting is my Love"
13th October 2007 02:54 PM
Gazza ER wasnt that great as a single LP, and many of the songs later used on Tattoo You still needed some work done to them to render them releasable.

Whilst they could have replaced some of the fluff that brought down the standard of the ER album, there still wasnt enough quality in what they had in 1979 to justify a double album.

As for the outtakes, most of the songs are unreleasable because they probably werent finished (certainly not in the versions that have been bootlegged - 'No Spare Parts' for example. The lyrics are unfinished and Jagger's vocals are a mess)
[Edited by Gazza]
13th October 2007 03:18 PM
gimmekeef I'd accept Mick farting for 5 minutes rather than listening to Indian Girl...Fuck its up there with Melanies Brand New Key/Rollerskates as worst tune EVER!
13th October 2007 03:41 PM
Gazza I actually have a tape where Keith farts. Twice.

Its better than 'Losing My Touch', 'Hold Back' or 'Sweet NeoCon'
13th October 2007 07:32 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I'd accept Mick farting for 5 minutes rather than listening to Indian Girl...Fuck its up there with Melanies Brand New Key/Rollerskates as worst tune EVER!

Can the congregation give me an AMEN!!!!
13th October 2007 07:51 PM
BONOISLOVE I just play the "LP" twice. Genius!
14th October 2007 03:26 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
ER wasnt that great as a single LP, and many of the songs later used on Tattoo You still needed some work done to them to render them releasable.

Whilst they could have replaced some of the fluff that brought down the standard of the ER album, there still wasnt enough quality in what they had in 1979 to justify a double album.

As for the outtakes, most of the songs are unreleasable because they probably werent finished (certainly not in the versions that have been bootlegged - 'No Spare Parts' for example. The lyrics are unfinished and Jagger's vocals are a mess)
[Edited by Gazza]

Yeah I think your right. It is a falacy that since a song was written and/or at least worked on it can or could of been released. That is anything but true. A lot of those songs needed finished in terms of recording, mixing, not to mention writing, arranging and mastering. Many of these songs birth and core may of been in 1978-1979 but more than half the time that doesn't mean anything in terms of a song being ready for release on a major LP. Not for anything but I have recorded and sat in on many writing and/or recordings and when you hear the "yeah I wrote it in five minutes and in two takes it was done" DOES happen....but it is anything but the norm. That is why artists talk of those instances when that type of situation does occur because is not the norm. For anyone. Not to mention that a song can be written but the chorus, melody, tempo, key, recording, effects, may not be yet be exactly as they want it. Or they may be missing a part they haven't pegged or a musician is not present they want to have input on ...the list is just huge here. But still it is the same song and it may be considered "written" for the most part. This is often what artists mean when they say the wrote or recorded a song before and then later finished or re-worked it. So this means nothing

I for one am not really much a fan of ER and never was. It is just OK with a few good tunes in my eyes. Much of it to me seems almost sub-standard as far as Stones works go. I think it lacks excitement and quality in many areas as well. I mean it's not bad but in my ears it isn't really good either.

Many compare ABB to ER and still I do not really hear it and I was quite suprised when first hearing this. I think ABB as an album is much, much better and a league ahead of ER in terms of an over-all album. It doesn't run like it either so I am confused why folks say the two are alike? I just really don't hear it much at all and can't see the two even side by side?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
14th October 2007 03:55 AM
Stonesthrow
quote:
Gazza wrote:
ER wasnt that great as a single LP, and many of the songs later used on Tattoo You still needed some work done to them to render them releasable.

[Edited by Gazza]

All the quality songs from Emotional Rescue would, at best, fill an EP. At worst, a two-sided single. ER is one of their 5 worst albums of all time.

14th October 2007 04:28 AM
Michael Cohl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I actually have a tape where Keith farts. Twice.

I bet it's a gas! Can you upload it to the tracker? Fart me up, SweetFarts together?

How about "Stealing My Fart" off of 40 Licks:

"Well Gas-X is expensive and beans come real cheap.
When chili's on the menu, I always eat deep.
Well I was just out there, like a turd on the run.
But it's easier said than done

Mmm... we're standing so far apart
We had a string of bad farts.
I can't seem to stop it now
It grows and it grows and it grows

Hearing My Fart, hearing my fart
Yeah!

My farts are on the table, you can look up my jeans.
You say you're honest but your farts are just queefs.
Well I was just out there, like a turd on the run.
But it's easier said than done

Yeah, like a fart in the dark
You shoot me right out the park
I can't seem to stop it
It grows and it grows and it grows

Yeah, hearing, hearing my fart, yeah
hearing, hearing, my fart
Oh yeah, come on
Come on now
hearing my fart."

14th October 2007 04:37 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
Michael Cohl wrote:

You say you're honest but your farts are just queefs.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!
14th October 2007 04:49 AM
Michael Cohl I see a VIP laminate in your future Boomy.

-

"If I could stick my hand in my wallet
And buy me some seats on the stage
Would it satisfy me? Would it slide on by me?
Would I think the price is strange?
Ain't it strange?

If I could buy one, I guess I could buy two,
A ticket so divine
Will there be enough on my credit card,
With ticket prices so high?
There so high igh igh

I said I know, He's only MICHAEL COHL but I like him
I know, He's only MICHAEL COHL
But I like him, like him, yes I do

Oh well, I like him (yeah)
I like him
I said can't you see that this whole dome has been papered?

If I could dig down deep in my heart
And sell you some seats on the stage
Would it satisfy you? Would it slide on by you?
Would you think the boy's A Saint? He's A Saint

And do you think that you're the only fans around?
I bet you think that you're the only fans in town

Ooh yeah

I like him...
I know He's only MICHAEL COHL, but I like him,
Oh yeah I like him... "

14th October 2007 08:21 PM
lotsajizz I think Keith is caught fartin' on "The Honeymoon Tapes"
14th October 2007 09:54 PM
aladdinstory Um, maybe I should've made this clearer, but I was trying to create a hypothetical situation, a bizarro world stones if you will. and in that bizarro world the Stones decided, "fuck, let's follow up SG, with a double, Keith is feelin' fine, we've recorded a fuckload of tracks for SG & ER, plus Keith is not going to jail. Let's go crazy and do a double!"

So if that were the case, and we jump back into Sherm & Mr. P's good 'ole way back machine what tracks would you have liked to seen finished and put on that "fantasy" double album, hell give it another title if you'd like. Sorry for the confusion, or lack of specifics in my earlier post.

quote:
IanBillen wrote

Yeah I think your right. It is a falacy that since a song was written and/or at least worked on it can or could of been released. That is anything but true. A lot of those songs needed finished in terms of recording, mixing, not to mention writing, arranging and mastering. Many of these songs birth and core may of been in 1978-1979 but more than half the time that doesn't mean anything in terms of a song being ready for release on a major LP. Not for anything but I have recorded and sat in on many writing and/or recordings and when you hear the "yeah I wrote it in five minutes and in two takes it was done" DOES happen....but it is anything but the norm. That is why artists talk of those instances when that type of situation does occur because is not the norm. For anyone. Not to mention that a song can be written but the chorus, melody, tempo, key, recording, effects, may not be yet be exactly as they want it. Or they may be missing a part they haven't pegged or a musician is not present they want to have input on ...the list is just huge here. But still it is the same song and it may be considered "written" for the most part. This is often what artists mean when they say the wrote or recorded a song before and then later finished or re-worked it. So this means nothing

I for one am not really much a fan of ER and never was. It is just OK with a few good tunes in my eyes. Much of it to me seems almost sub-standard as far as Stones works go. I think it lacks excitement and quality in many areas as well. I mean it's not bad but in my ears it isn't really good either.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]

15th October 2007 02:07 AM
Zack I think I get what you mean:

Side 1:

Claudine
We Had It All
Let Me Go
Black Limousine
Down In the Hole

Side 2

Dance, Part 1
Little T & A
No Spare Parts
Hang Fire
Think I’m Going Mad

Side 3:

She’s So Cold
Let’s Go Steady
So Young
Yellow Cab
Where the Boys Go

Side 4:

Emotional Rescue
Summer Romance
Fiji Jim
Linda Lu
All About You

[Edited by Zack]
15th October 2007 06:12 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Many compare ABB to ER and still I do not really hear it and I was quite suprised when first hearing this. I think ABB as an album is much, much better and a league ahead of ER in terms of an over-all album. It doesn't run like it either so I am confused why folks say the two are alike? I just really don't hear it much at all and can't see the two even side by side?

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]

LOL ABB is a poor record with no Bass, NO imagination, washed and boring riffs, a Jagger 's collection of uninspired songs.
Lamest guitar work of their career, no decent solo, Neo con bullshit, well need I to say more????
15th October 2007 07:25 AM
Zack
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

LOL ABB is a poor record with no Bass, NO imagination, washed and boring riffs, a Jagger 's collection of uninspired songs.
Lamest guitar work of their career, no decent solo, Neo con bullshit, well need I to say more????

In other words: "Don't talk shit about ER!"
15th October 2007 08:22 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Zack wrote:

In other words: "Don't talk shit about ER!"

as the ER lovers society's spokeman here, the answer is YES Zack
15th October 2007 08:34 AM
Some Guy The He Man Emotional Rescue Lovers Society is beginning to frown upon this thread.
15th October 2007 09:35 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I actually have a tape where Keith farts. Twice.

Its better than 'Losing My Touch', 'Hold Back' or 'Sweet NeoCon'

We fart anywhere man!.........BTW...Do you have an mp3 clip of the farts...My collection just isnt complete without it..Or maybe I have it....Gazza what boot is it from?....Thanks as always....
15th October 2007 12:54 PM
polytoxic I think Some GIrls would be a better candidate for a double (wasn't Do You Think I Really Care a Some Girls track?) or, I dunno.... Let It Bleed?

Maybe those have already been talked about in the past.

While I don't think ER sucks quite so bad as some, it seems only Claudine would boost the overall product.

15th October 2007 01:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Agreed 100%. Where The Boys Go has more excitement than the whole ABB record, just hear the guitar work, the rhythm, Mick vocals, Bill bass...
ER is a Stones album, ABB is a Mick solo album, we can compare it with GITD, a better album IMO (and I'm not saying much).
15th October 2007 01:45 PM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue does more before 9AM than most albums do all day.
15th October 2007 03:26 PM
Mel Belli Reminds me: "Everlasting Is My Love" has a touch of Keith's "Hate It When You Leave" at the beginning.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)