ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Gypsy
© Robert Knight with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Undercover: Killer or filler? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 12th, 2005 10:37 PM
Bloozehound worth having just to hear them spit out that great angry gem of riffrockage known as Too Tough

too much blood, undercover, she was hot are all good grooves too
October 13th, 2005 12:04 AM
gypsymofo60 Undercover has to be one of the most underrated Stones albums, not just where the post Some Girls period is concerned, but underrated period! A great title track, love the 'Cheeky Mix', Tie You Up is just fantastic, I like Pretty Beat Up, Feel On Baby, and adore Too Much Blood. The only criticism I have is that I do believe that the group were coming to loggerheads at the time, and it seems that this was when they blatantly began issuing filler. Some songs like All The Way Down are abyssmal. 8 out of ten. Great piece of early 80s nostalgia, a personal fave.
October 13th, 2005 02:30 PM
polytoxic Uneven album for sure. Undercover of the night is a great song and their best video. If you ever get one of the "rawer, less producer" early takes of that tune on bootleg the lead guitar will blow you away. Never was a hug fan of She Was Hot, but it's allright.
Tie You Up I liked (great breakdown).
Wanna Hold you & All The Way Down are weak weak weak.
There are some good grooves on side two (Pretty Beat up etc.)
but they don't really go anywhere.

About on par with ABB.
October 13th, 2005 06:38 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
A shame they ever released it.

Exactly - it sucks.
October 14th, 2005 02:06 AM
DAVINO
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Well, killer to me are Undercover, the excellent She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Too Much Blood, the thumping Pretty Beat Up, and the rocking Too Tough and All the Way Down. I don't like Wanna Hold You, and Feel on Baby is a bit over produced. It Must Be Hell is a bit of a throwaway, but has good lyrics and good singing by Jagger.

Mathijs

I agree, for the most part , with your assessment. I actually feel that "All The Way Down" IS among the best of the Emotional Rescue thru Dirty Work era.

ALL THE WAY DOWN
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I was twenty one naive
Not cynical, I try to please
Her wit, her speech, her repartee
Impressed me almost instantly

She went all the way
All the way down
She went all the way, all the way

She showed me love a hundred ways
How she pimped and how she paid
All the daughters, all the sons
All were welcome, all would come

We went all the way
All the way down
We went all the way, all the way

I was King, Mr. Cool
Just a snobby little fool
(Like kids are now.)
I dreamed of reaching greater heights
I raved about it every night
Talk is cheap

She went all the way, all the way
All the way down, yeah
She went all the way
All the way all the way
All the way, all the way down

She's there when I close my eyes
There when I close my eyes
She's there when I close my eyes
There when I close my eyes

How the years they rush on by
Birthdays, kids and suicides
Still I play the fool and strut
Still you're a slut

Hey girl, she went all the way
All the way, all the way
All the way down
She went all the way
All the way, all the way
All the way down
She went all the way
All the way, all the way
All the way down

You give me back that time right now
I can see it if I close my eyes
Was every minute just a waste?
Was every hour a foolish chase?
I don't believe it

She went all the way
All the way down
She went all the way
All the way down
She went all the way
All the way down
She went all the way
All the way all the way
All the way down
She went all the way
All the way all the way
All the way down

October 14th, 2005 02:18 AM
pdog
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
The only album in the vaunted Stones canon that I do not have is Undercover. I just wanted to ask all of you who have it whether it is worth it or not? It would certainly be nice to say that I have every album that the Stones released, but is Undercover a CD that I will return to after the first few listens? And for those who like it, what are the highlights? Many, many thanks!

Buy it! If you don't like it place your beer on the disc!
October 15th, 2005 01:50 PM
padre Just listened it yesterday after a looooong while. Sounded much better than I remembered. Beats the shit out of Dirty Work or Steel Wheels. And the 80's production was dominating too heavily only Feel On Baby and Too Much Blood.
In fact Blood was the only track so weak, that I had to skip it. If they'd droppped it and included Think I'm Going Mad instead, the album would've been a solid Stones package (any other outtakes from those sessions?). Is this the only Stones album without a ballad?
And listen to that extraordinary Stu groove on She Was Hot!!! The first time I've noticed it! Listen She Was Hot on headphones and you'll hear him clearly as he lays his signature boogie woogie on the track. Really should've been more up on the mix.
Funny thing about Keith: on previous albums he sang about tits and ass with soul and about the first bitch to get laid and the last to get paid. Now he got serious with Patti and what does his lyrics sound like?
"But if you stick with me, you're gonna get some love for free..."
October 15th, 2005 10:20 PM
Lord Homosex Yes, definetly underrrated. Suffered the same fate as Dirty Work, with not having a tour behind it. People seem to thinik that ER gets more recognition than UC. IMO that is because of the tour.
I love UC. While it does have a bit of 80's sound it is not nearly as evident as many sya. DW with Lillywhite sounds much more 80's to me. And don't even mention SW. UC seems it was the last of the real hard rocking Stones albums. The Stones as a unified rockband. DW just was a mess on many levels. And then came the big silence, followed by the final phase/incarnation.
Difference between UC and DW, ER and mayvbe even SW; the reason we seem baffled and call UC underrtaed is IMO that the other 3 albums don't really have that many good songs on them, yet they got a lot more push behind them. For different reasons that had to do with the ra when they cam out. But UC has many excellent somngs that to this day have been largely ignored by the Stones. THAT is baffling to me.
She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Feel On Baby, Pretty Beat Up, Too Tough and All The Way Down are all superb Stonessongs. Where have they gone off to?
October 15th, 2005 11:11 PM
CraigP No matter what, one will get mixed reviews on Undercover. If you are a real fan, you will dig it to a decent extent.
October 16th, 2005 03:27 AM
blackandblue
quote:
CraigP wrote:
No matter what, one will get mixed reviews on Undercover. If you are a real fan, you will dig it to a decent extent.

If you are a real fan you will condemn it.
October 16th, 2005 04:50 AM
gorda
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
As you can get this album in every 2nd hand store for about $2, just get the album and decide for yourself. It's the last "true" Stones album before the decline started. It's raw, it's dangerous, it's exciting. Negative point is that it sounds like the 80's, so you have to listen through the production.

Mathijs

That is not true! A used copy would cost at least $10.00!

Might as well, buy it new for $15.00.

There are some good songs on that album. She Was Hot, Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love), All The Way Down and Too Much Blood.

P.S. My little brother loves that song Undercover of the Night.
October 16th, 2005 07:01 PM
tumbling dice
I remember when i bought it. I was hearing the single on the radio a few days before and i love it in my first listen. A very good album,it seems a little like A BIGGER BANG on the rockers,fast and groove.Too much Blood is a great dance track,Feel on Baby is good too get high and She Was Hot was the last great moment of Ian Stewart.The end of an era...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)