ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Gypsy
© Robert Knight with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Undercover: Killer or filler? Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 12th, 2005 02:36 AM
ShaneJazz The only album in the vaunted Stones canon that I do not have is Undercover. I just wanted to ask all of you who have it whether it is worth it or not? It would certainly be nice to say that I have every album that the Stones released, but is Undercover a CD that I will return to after the first few listens? And for those who like it, what are the highlights? Many, many thanks!
October 12th, 2005 03:15 AM
beer Undercover is a fucking great album. Don't miss it..

-
October 12th, 2005 03:20 AM
ShaneJazz Thank you, beer, I appreciate it. Better than Dirty Work?
October 12th, 2005 03:50 AM
Mathijs As you can get this album in every 2nd hand store for about $2, just get the album and decide for yourself. It's the last "true" Stones album before the decline started. It's raw, it's dangerous, it's exciting. Negative point is that it sounds like the 80's, so you have to listen through the production.

Mathijs
October 12th, 2005 04:02 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Worth buying.
Its not the most listened to album in my collection thought. That reminds me. I must go and dust it
October 12th, 2005 04:11 AM
Jumacfly go and buy it!!
great unknown songs like tie you up,feel on baby....I agree with Mathjis on this one,this album is the end of an era.
Don t miss it!
October 12th, 2005 04:46 AM
shakedhandswithkeith buy it - I heard it yesterday at last and it`s great
October 12th, 2005 05:22 AM
ListenToTheLion Album sucks. It's one big mistake except for the title track. The decline starts with this album. Wanna Hold You worst song ever written and recorded.
Don't buy this peace of shit. (Also very ugly cover)

A Bigger Bang is a lot better!
October 12th, 2005 05:33 AM
IanBillen
I always rated Undercover from very good to great. I always wondered why it wasn't talked about much? I still do wonder that. It deserves it's recognition.
Emotional Resque the album gets mentioned more and it is by no means as good as Undercover.

The album has a very dangerous feel as was stated here recently.
It is hard hitiing as well. And it is also alot better than Dirty Work.

I loved Undercover's sound. Sure it is "produced" more than alot of Stones albums but it is never glossy. It has edge and the songs are pretty good. One great song (Undercover).

Mark my words it is definately worth the investigation. This is no Sucking in The Seventies that is for sure. Undercover was a damn good album in it's day and it still should be merited as being a very good work. It is the most underated Stones album.

Ian

October 12th, 2005 05:43 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

It is the most underated Stones album.

Ian

with Emotionnal rescue for sure!
October 12th, 2005 06:36 AM
exile I was never a fan of undercover

Emotional rescue had Shes so Cold and Down in the Hole at least

undercover dosent have many redeeming qualities
October 12th, 2005 06:37 AM
Zack Neither killer or filler. I weigh a little on the negative; the highs aren't all that high, but the lows are pretty bleak. Seriously mean, bloody, violent vibe throughout. But just buy the thing. It's the fucking Stones, man.
October 12th, 2005 07:37 AM
Mathijs Well, killer to me are Undercover, the excellent She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Too Much Blood, the thumping Pretty Beat Up, and the rocking Too Tough and All the Way Down. I don't like Wanna Hold You, and Feel on Baby is a bit over produced. It Must Be Hell is a bit of a throwaway, but has good lyrics and good singing by Jagger.

Mathijs

October 12th, 2005 09:41 AM
blackandblue A shame they ever released it.
October 12th, 2005 10:36 AM
Nasty Habits The last of the original run of albums that I found an "in" to, and I consider it their weakest up to '89. Dirty Work to me is a lot more dangerous and brutal in its dangerous and brutal moments, but I've decided that I like Undercover well enough. It's the more "Mick" of the "untuneful duo" of records that finally broke the band's back, but I like the sleazy atmosphere and autopilot compositionality. It is the Rolling Stones, and they play songs, on a record. There is always something of merit to this happenstance.
October 12th, 2005 10:43 AM
Lethargy
quote:
ShaneJazz wrote:
The only album in the vaunted Stones canon that I do not have is Undercover. I just wanted to ask all of you who have it whether it is worth it or not? It would certainly be nice to say that I have every album that the Stones released, but is Undercover a CD that I will return to after the first few listens? And for those who like it, what are the highlights? Many, many thanks!

My quick take is: Undercover and She Was Hot are KILLER, but the rest of the album kinda sucks.
October 12th, 2005 11:03 AM
Neocon Again I have to take Ian's side. I think undercover is great. I guess my problem is Mick's talking part in "Too Much Blood" and I don't really like the lyric in "Must be Hell." As far as that type of riff, "Must Be hell" is not as good as "Soul Survivor," but better than, "Rock and a Hard Place."

I think it's better than "Dirty Work." Dirty work had only maybe a few good original songs. The best being "Sleep Tonight," but also "One Hit to the Body," and "Dirty Work" were pretty good. "Too Rude" was nice cover. Some real Robert Johnson rip offs in "Had it With You."

Emotional Rescue I thought was basically throw aways. "All About You" was the best song. Some people may find "She's So Cold," and "Emotional Rescue," fun songs.
October 12th, 2005 11:08 AM
nankerphelge A good portion of my youth was mispent listening to Undercover!

Personally, I like it a lot.

Still listen to it quite a bit!
October 12th, 2005 11:16 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Too Much Blood is a great song.
October 12th, 2005 01:03 PM
texile their last great gasp....i actually like it better than tattoo...very underrated - and better than abb.
this was the last album with balls - and the last one with that SOUND ....and the last one with that band i fell in love with - dark, dirty, edgy, nasty and topical.....i LOVE it;
the stones would never be the same after this.....
just listen to frenetic voclas on all the way down - one of my favorite jagger performances....

October 12th, 2005 02:38 PM
Saint Sway definately down load these tracks:
Too Tough
Pretty Beat Up
Undercover

those 3 rock especially hard
October 12th, 2005 03:11 PM
justforyou
quote:
texile wrote:
and the last one with that SOUND ....and the last one with that band i fell in love with - dark, dirty, edgy, nasty and topical.....i LOVE it;
the stones would never be the same after this.....

Yes, I wonder what are the reasons behind this transition. It became very clean and precise.

The sound is more spacious from Steel Wheels onward - already with Dirty Work the trend had started, whereas it was more claustrophobic before. Producers, recording techniques, drugs, lifestyles ?

October 12th, 2005 04:03 PM
texile i always blame don was - but the truth is:
i'd say lifestyles...jagger lost that spark of passion and keith became a connecticut suburbanite....
jagger also moved away from NYC to london - solidifying his place in the cricket-loving, masquerade-ball-going, lame-ass high english society...
October 12th, 2005 04:09 PM
CraigP Undercover is a simple album in my opinion. There are a couple good rockers with alot of "hooks" in them. I personally like Dirty Work better for it is more entertaining, fast, hard and obscure. Undercover had a few good listens by me indeed but I listen to it less than any other Stones studio album. Anyways, get Undercover!!! You will be happy with your purchase.
October 12th, 2005 04:52 PM
Prodigal Son I do agree that "Undercover" and "She was Hot" are classic, but too many songs fall short for me. "Feel on Baby," "Too Much Blood" and "Pretty Beat up" are flat experiments that would sound mediocre even on ABB. "Wanna Hold You" is a decent, quite melodic rocker by Keith, hell he's written very few since this song.

"Tie You up," "Too Tough" and "All the Way Down" are also good rockers. "It Must Be Hell" is a bit of a boring, derivative way to end the album. All in all, Undercover is in their bottom portion of albums in quality but it's still about average (B-, **1/2, 5/10). I prefer it slightly to Steel Wheels, B2B, Emotional Rescue and TSMR, though.
October 12th, 2005 04:57 PM
Some Guy it's all down hill from this point on.
October 12th, 2005 05:45 PM
time is on my side Undercover, in my opinion, is a very average STONES album though, like all STONES albums, it definitely has it's moments with a few very good rockers on it. I still listen to some of it every now and then.

I prefer it to albums like say Emotional Rescue (even though it doesn't have a song as good as DOWN IN THE HOLE) or Dirty Work which were made during this same general TIME period.
October 12th, 2005 05:50 PM
stonedinaustralia for me the soul of the band that we all knew and loved went missing when stu died
October 12th, 2005 07:23 PM
Soldatti This is the last album from the old Stones, the end of an amazing era.
October 12th, 2005 08:19 PM
Bob Tamp To me, its almost all filler...a lot of it would have been okay for b-sides of singles. I have always liked ALL THE WAY DOWN. Pretty much trash. To me, it has always been my least favorite studio album.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)