ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© Rubén R. Ramírez/El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Toby Keith Pronounces Rock n Roll Dead Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12th October 2006 06:38 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mojoman wrote:
are you kiddin?

The resemblance is uncanny.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12th October 2006 06:40 PM
mojoman
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The resemblance is uncanny.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

the similarities end there
13th October 2006 11:04 AM
corgi37 Honky Tonk Man, as usual, you dont disapoint with the crap. Oasis will be number 1 eh?

Where?

U.K.? Where else? I doubt they'll even hit top 5 here in Oz. And we were huge fans, 2nd only to England i'd say (per capita of course). And, dont dare tell me Oasis will crack the U.S. top 10. Fuck it, i'll say it, not even the top 20.

If they are your future of Rock, then we truly are fucked.

Even the Darkness joke only lasted 1 album, with their last one coming and going like a teenage boy's 1st fuck.
13th October 2006 12:44 PM
DrJimmy Arcade Fire are the best new rock band.
13th October 2006 12:57 PM
Saint Sway the last time rock got heavy air play on the radio it sucked

I'm glad rock doesnt get air play anymore. The music is better because of that. Less sell outs, more real bands around these days.

lots of good stuff out there

of course, lots of crap on the radio... thats how it goes...
13th October 2006 03:35 PM
jb Oasis my embarrassing band since the Beatles....wannabees with no talent and truly wankers' in the first degree....
13th October 2006 03:40 PM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
Oasis my embarrassing band since the Beatles....wannabees with no talent and truly wankers' in the first degree....

100% true. Oasis=old bores.
13th October 2006 03:54 PM
SheRat ummm....HELLO!?!?!?!?!??!!??!!?

http://www.myspace.com/drivebytruckers

http://www.myspace.com/thedevilsown

http://www.myspace.com/icanlickanysonofabitchint
13th October 2006 04:03 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Honky Tonk Man, as usual, you dont disapoint with the crap. Oasis will be number 1 eh?

Where?

U.K.? Where else? I doubt they'll even hit top 5 here in Oz. And we were huge fans, 2nd only to England i'd say (per capita of course). And, dont dare tell me Oasis will crack the U.S. top 10. Fuck it, i'll say it, not even the top 20.

If they are your future of Rock, then we truly are fucked.

Even the Darkness joke only lasted 1 album, with their last one coming and going like a teenage boy's 1st fuck.

U2 is releasing their GH album the same day, it will outsell Oasis even in UK.
13th October 2006 05:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 22 Years Of Rock 'N' Roll End At Radio Station

By Elliott West, Raleigh Chronicle News Editor
Friday, October 13, 2006

RALEIGH -- After 22 years of blasting rock and roll music over the airwaves in the Triangle, the station that has been long associated with the musical genre has switched formats.

This month, 106.1 RDU the rock and roll station became Rooster 106 the country music station. Rock and roll fans who didn't know about the swtich may have been startled to turn on the station and hear Willie Nelson instead of the Eagles. The Triangle station has played mostly classic rock and roll from the 60's, 70's, and 80's since it began playing rock back in 1984.

The station is owned by the large media conglomerate Clear Channel Broadcasting. On the radio station's old website, it says "thank you for 22 great years of rockin' the Triangle."

The new station will feature syndicated radio show John Boy and Billy out of Charlotte in the mornings. According to the company's website, it seems that popular drive-time 106 host Bob Robinson (Bob the Blade), whose opinioted comments on current events were often witty and entertaining, will not be coming back. His name was not found anywhere on the new 106 website and was not listed among the radio personalities section.

A new website has been put up for the "new" Rooster 106 station at www.rooster106.com. The station has also been broadcasting television commercials touting its new format on local stations.

One of the reasons for the station's format change may be the newfound popularity that 96.1 FM has found with its new rock format. The locally owned Curtis Media station has been playing "anything that rocks" including new rock and roll as well as classic older hits and the format has been a hit with listerners in the Triangle. :::
13th October 2006 05:47 PM
nanatod Ten Thousand, the only radio station that people in the triangle listen to is Chapel Hill's WXYC. That's the way it has always been.
13th October 2006 05:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Ten Thousand, the only radio station that people in the triangle listen to is Chapel Hill's WXYC. That's the way it has always been.

What kind of station is it? Rock n Roll????
13th October 2006 06:15 PM
nanatod It's the radio station run out of UNC. It plays rock, but they also have for example, a bluegrass show on the weekend. It was either the first or one of the first radio stations to broadcast on the internet.

It is also tied in with the rock clubs in Chapel Hill, like Cats Cradle.
13th October 2006 06:30 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nanatod wrote:
It's the radio station run out of UNC. It plays rock, but they also have for example, a bluegrass show on the weekend. It was either the first or one of the first radio stations to broadcast on the internet.

It is also tied in with the rock clubs in Chapel Hill, like Cats Cradle.

OK...but my geography is weak. Where and what exactly is "the Triangle". Raleigh is in North Carolina....that I know.
13th October 2006 06:57 PM
nanatod The triangle is the separate North Carolina cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, which used to be separate and distinct cities, but now, with "suburbanization" are almost like one big city.

Raleigh is the capital, the business center, and home of North Carolina State University.

Durham is the home of Duke, a very good academic school for Northeasterners who want to get away for college.

Chapel Hill is the home of the (bigger?) University of North Carolina, and as a "college town" has many funky shops, bars, etc.
13th October 2006 07:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >Raleigh is the capital, the business center, and home of North Carolina State University<

Oh. Thanks for the info. It sounds like it has some great potential as a Party Town.... a Fun City. Put alot of politicians and "business leaders" together in the same box with alot of college girls and that could be quite interesting after hours.
13th October 2006 07:31 PM
Yap Yap Wish someone would pronounce Toby Keith dead.....What a piece of SHIT he is!
13th October 2006 08:53 PM
Riffhard Rock and roll is not dead,but it is currently on life support. I blame MTV more than anything. The fact is though that all music is cicular. That being said rock and roll's time will come again. I have no doubt about that. [And] yes,commercial viability is the very definition of success. It's easy to say that rock and roll is not dead because there are currently some good,if not great,bands still out there pounding the pavement and bringing it on a nightly basis. That has nothing to do with the state of the genre though. There are probably a few good skiffle bands out there too,but make no mistake,skiffle is deader than Brian Jones! As long as rich white kids listen to shit like rap and hip hop because they are being force fed that shit from the MTV's of the world rock is dead. How anyone other than inner city urban blacks relate to rap and hip hop is beyond my ablility to understand. To me it's like young black kids living in the projects being into Dylan. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Riffy
13th October 2006 09:10 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
How anyone other than inner city urban blacks relate to rap and hip hop is beyond my ablility to understand. To me it's like young black kids living in the projects being into Dylan. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Riffy

C'mon Riffy, that was a really silly statement to make, coming from a DJ who knows music as well as you. Are you serious? How about a skinny middle class, big lipped white kid from post-war London - can he get into Mississippi Delta blues or is that beyond your ability to understand?
13th October 2006 09:34 PM
Riffhard
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

C'mon Riffy, that was a really silly statement to make, coming from a DJ who knows music as well as you. Are you serious? How about a skinny middle class, big lipped white kid from post-war London - can he get into Mississippi Delta blues or is that beyond your ability to understand?

No,no,no Moonie that makes perfect sense to me. However,to hear a bunch of thugs singing about their "bitches",and "bustng a cap" in people's asses is not in the same ballpark as singing about "love in vain",or "my needles gone rusty". I mean blues is the roots of rock and roll along with country music. Rap and Hip Hop is,was,and always will be shit to me. I can find absolutly no redeeming value in that genre. That said,I do like some Snoop,but just for shits and giggles. Again,though let me know when you find a young black kid emulating Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline. It's not gonna happen.

This is not rascist mind you. I fully understand why black kids in lower income housing could relate to Rap. I just can not understand a rich kid driving daddy's BMW cranking up Tupac and acting as if he can relate to it. He's poseing! While Delta Blues may be just as foriegn to a rubber lipped skinny white kid from post-war London,at least there are elements of rock and roll in the Blues and the Stones tapped them to brilliant effect. Rap does not have that same visceral impact as far as rock and roll is concerned. It might just be me,but I can not relate to Rap because there is no universal appeal to the subjects that so many Rap Artists(I use that term as loosely as possile) sing/rap about. Again,it might just be me,but I don't,and never will,get the appeal in it. There are some talented rappers,no doubt. As I said I get a kick outta Snoop,but that is the exception not the rule. I also think that there are some very talented polka bands out there,but polka as about as much to do with rock and roll as rap and hip hop does. I'll go to a beer garden and have a great time listening to polka for laughs,but don't try and tell me that it's as universal as the delta blues are. Because it's not. Niether is rap.

Riffy
13th October 2006 10:09 PM
Fiji Joe "Again,though let me know when you find a young black kid emulating Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline. It's not gonna happen."

You act like you ain't never heard of Hootie...Hootie man

And who could forget Buckwheat?

13th October 2006 10:15 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

No,no,no Moonie that makes perfect sense to me. However,to hear a bunch of thugs singing about their "bitches",and "bustng a cap" in people's asses is not in the same ballpark as singing about "love in vain",or "my needles gone rusty". I mean blues is the roots of rock and roll along with country music. Rap and Hip Hop is,was,and always will be shit to me. I can find absolutly no redeeming value in that genre. That said,I do like some Snoop,but just for shits and giggles. Again,though let me know when you find a young black kid emulating Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline. It's not gonna happen.

This is not rascist mind you. I fully understand why black kids in lower income housing could relate to Rap. I just can not understand a rich kid driving daddy's BMW cranking up Tupac and acting as if he can relate to it. He's poseing! While Delta Blues may be just as foriegn to a rubber lipped skinny white kid from post-war London,at least there are elements of rock and roll in the Blues and the Stones tapped them to brilliant effect. Rap does not have that same visceral impact as far as rock and roll is concerned. It might just be me,but I can not relate to Rap because there is no universal appeal to the subjects that so many Rap Artists(I use that term as loosely as possile) sing/rap about. Again,it might just be me,but I don't,and never will,get the appeal in it. There are some talented rappers,no doubt. As I said I get a kick outta Snoop,but that is the exception not the rule. I also think that there are some very talented polka bands out there,but polka as about as much to do with rock and roll as rap and hip hop does. I'll go to a beer garden and have a great time listening to polka for laughs,but don't try and tell me that it's as universal as the delta blues are. Because it's not. Niether is rap.

Riffy

No, I know you aren't racist. I too am disgusted seeing some punk ass rich white kid with his pants hanging off his ass, bling blinging Gee, listening to the latest rap garbage that the record companies have manufactured - the genre is as bad as 80s heavy metal ever was, and the people who indulge it are all out lame in the first place.

But there is great "rap" and I listen to it a lot - Dre's Chronic is classic, so is much of Ice Cube, NWA, Young MC (best ever?). Even today some isn't bad - K. West, Outkast, Wu Tang.

And I'll bet there a few ghetto black kids listening to Dylan, Stones, Who, etc. Lets face it, there aren't many white kids listening to that greatest of all music - my kids being one of the few exceptions to that rule. I smack them upside the head with it.
14th October 2006 04:06 AM
SheRat
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

It might just be me,but I can not relate to Rap because there is no universal appeal to the subjects that so many Rap Artists(I use that term as loosely as possile) sing/rap about.

The universal theme, Riffy, is masculine arrogance/violence and misogyny. Often, but not always, together.

Interestingly, rap started out as protest to the violence of inner city conditions. Now it perpetuates them.

Incidentally, Salt n' Pepa's album "Very Necessary" is AWESOME. Talk about universal themes:

"What's the matter with your life?
Why you gotta mess with mine?
Don't keep sweatin' what I do
Cuz I'm gonna be just fine - check it out

If I wanna take a guy home with me tonight
It's none of your business
And she wanna be a freak and sell it on the weekend
Now you shouldn't even get into who I'm givin' skins to
So don't try to change my mind, I'll tell you one more time
It's none of your business"

[Edited by SheRat]
14th October 2006 06:59 PM
MrPleasant I used to like Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. Their harmonies (duh) were tremendous.

Universal themes? Fuck that. I just liked how they sounded.
14th October 2006 07:05 PM
pdog Isn't Toby Keith the guy who thinks George Bush is a good president!
Rock and Roll thinks Toby Keith is DEAD!
14th October 2006 08:58 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
pdog wrote:
Isn't Toby Keith the guy who thinks George Bush is a good president!
Rock and Roll thinks Toby Keith is DEAD!

Oh you fucking nigger, that is the best, and it goes in my tagline, at least a variation does.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)