ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A kiss to the all the nice girls at Rocks Off who make this place so special!
By William Coupon from the "40x20 Exhibition" now on tour...

This header is dedicated to Pammy Mammy!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dirty Work is getting........... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10-11-02 07:22 PM
full moon better every time I listen to it!! Is that a bad thing.. The only song that I think really blows is Back To Zero.. I am even starting to like Winning Ugly.. What the hell is wrong with me?? Too Rude, Hold Back, Sleep Tonight, One Hit.. are all really great tunes...
10-11-02 07:26 PM
Angiegirl He Maxy! You see, there's hope for people!!! We've got another soulmate. Yes, DW is a fine piece of work, too bad not too many Glimmers seem to really like it.
10-11-02 07:54 PM
Scot Rocks Dirty Work rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you are right it is one of those that just gets better and better...well apart from Back to Zero!!!!!!lol

Hold Back, don't follow the crowd and hear the quality of Dirty Work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
10-11-02 08:05 PM
Angiegirl Scot, YOU rock!!!

Even our Dutch mailinglist is called Dirty Work. It's a good choice.
10-11-02 08:06 PM
Angiegirl And so do you Mark...lol
10-11-02 08:37 PM
full moon Right on people...Gotta get into a fight.. The hatred between the boys coming thru real good......
10-11-02 08:54 PM
Scot Rocks lol thanks Angiegirl, the dutch have shown that their reputation as rockin Stones fans is well earned, naming it Dirty Work, would not be top of most peoples list.

Looking forward to the offical european tour announcment in the next few weeks. Hopefully, the UK will get a decent number of shows and Edinburgh would be great for stadium, there are plenty in Glasgow too, but football season will have started then, well anyway I am rambling on and I gotta get some sleep tonight!!!!

Mark
10-11-02 09:05 PM
Angiegirl I wanna be on top, forever on the up and damn the competition...

Gonna pulp you to a mass of bruises, 'cause that's what you're looking for
Gonna blow you to a million pieces, blow you skyhigh I don't care
Splatter matter on the bloody ceiling

You just gotta love the DW lyrics. I mean, just compare them to the lyrics of the 4 new songs:

No matter where I go babe, no matter what I do
I spend my whole life honey just thinking of you

or:

I'm so crazy about you, yeah that's the word on the street
Yeah I bet you heard all about it from the people you meet

or:

We're standing so far apart, we had a string of false starts
I can't seen to stop it now, it grows and it grows and it grows

You're a dirty dirty rat scum...lol
10-11-02 09:09 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Scot Rocks wrote:
...Edinburgh would be great for stadium...

Yeah, I saw them at the Murrayfield in '99 and that was a fantastic show. We even made it to the papers the next day, with a photo of the front rows of the crowd during the show.
So I am famous in Scotland, and I just came over there 1 time!!

Sleep tight Mark
10-11-02 09:59 PM
BILL PERKS THAT'S RIGHT,THE KUDOS KEEP ON COMING.DIRTY WORK WAS THE LAST TIME THE STONES HAD TRUE BULLDOG BALLS,I STILL LOVE THEM BUT THE MUSIC TURNED MORE MELANCHOLY AFTER THAT.HAD IT WITH YOU SHOULD BE A B-STAGE STAPLE.ONE HIT IS THEIR BEST VIDEO.
10-11-02 10:14 PM
Luxury I've read that this was "Keith's" album, during all the shit. It sure sounds like it!! 2 thumbs up!!
10-11-02 10:28 PM
Maxlugar OH MY FRIGGIN' GOD!

I JUST CHECKED IN BEFORE I LAID MY LITTLE MAXY HEAD TO SLEEP AND I SEE THIS???!!

Listen my little Stoneslettes, Dirty Work rocks like no other. I know you know that. I like the "Bulldog balls" comment! So true. Don't let the failed Partial Birth Abortion people convince you otherwise! If you ask me, Joey still has the scissors stuck in his head. (That's between you and me though)

I am so glad I'm going to sleep happy for once in about a year.

Thank you all from the bottom of my lil' Maxy heart!

MAXY!
10-11-02 10:30 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Blah... true, some of the songs are just friggin' awesome in terms of snarl. I can just picture Keith writing out this stuff with Ronnie, banging it out, and then Mick picking up the lyric sheet the next day and saying "Oh, is *that* what that prick thinks?" and just spitting it into the microphone. "One Hit" (Thank you, Ronnie... Keith said once that he'd wanted Dirty work to be one-half Richards/Wood compositions. Didn't quite get there, and of course, the whole Lennon/McCartney clause kicks in and Mick gets credit too.), "Had It With You"... those are the two big ones. "Fight" is... ok. I hate the lyrics. "There's a hole where your nose used to be"? Alright, better than "When love's on the menu, I don't drink so deep", but come on! Don't like "Harlem Shuffle", "Hold Back" is ok, While the bass on "Winning Ugly" is awesome, it doesn't save the song at all. "Back To Zero" just sucks. "Too Rude" is ok, "Sleep Tonight" is my least favorite Keith song, while "Dirty Work" is just kinda forgettable.

Yeah, so this album, while full of menace, just doesn't have the good songs to back it up.

I'm of the opinion that the Stones were at their best when Mick and Keith were in a sort of balance with each other. They've been see-sawing about since the late sixties when Keith started the grand experiment and Brian got booted. Keith started gettin' heavy into the drugs, but he and Mick were still in some kind of crazy communal balance, neither of them were having a particularly good time... and out of it comes Exile On Main Street. Then, lo and behold, Keith gets the news flash (and giant friggin' injunction) to clean up. He's still not completely clean but he's making the long trek up to reality, Mick senses his power slipping but doesn't really react... out comes Some Girls.
10-11-02 10:30 PM
Gimme Shelter According to an interview, I saw with Ronnie about the time Voodoo Lounge came out, he said with Mick and Keith on the outs everyone shared in writing the songs for Dirty Work. That's why so many of the songs are credited to Jagger-Richards-Wood. But I really don't think the Stones have ever put out a bad album.
10-11-02 10:43 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
THAT'S RIGHT,THE KUDOS KEEP ON COMING.DIRTY WORK WAS THE LAST TIME THE STONES HAD TRUE BULLDOG BALLS,...THE MUSIC TURNED MORE MELANCHOLY AFTER THAT.

and perhaps no coincidence that it was the last work stu had any involvement in

10-11-02 10:51 PM
full moon There are still moments of angst and hatred.. Gunface, Out Of Of Control, Hold On To Your Hat.......
10-11-02 11:07 PM
Rescued I love to listen to Dirty Work every now and then. "One Hit" and "Hold Back" do it for me every time. Guitars in the title track just rip!

The live version of "Too Rude" on Keith and the Ex-pensive Winos "Live at the Hollywood Palladium" is a fantastic listen.
10-12-02 03:08 AM
Harrylime I was just getting into them around the mid 80's thru LIB,BB,andthen Exile,so I went out and bought DW thinking
it would be on a par with these.I only played the thing once.IMHO.it's their artistic nadir....
10-12-02 03:38 AM
Moonisup I love HAd it with you!!
hmmmmmmmm I love you dirty fucker, sister and your brother!!
cococcococoocccccccccooooooolllllll

rik
10-12-02 03:51 AM
cocksucker Dirty Work is the baddest record the Stones ever made. It's a rotten piece of shit with the most ugly sleeve i ever saw. Most people who are under 30 seems to like this garbage but they have grown up with Michael Jackson, Madonna and Don Johnson so....
10-12-02 04:33 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Harrylime wrote:
I was just getting into them around the mid 80's thru LIB,BB,andthen Exile,so I went out and bought DW thinking
it would be on a par with these.I only played the thing once.IMHO.it's their artistic nadir....

no,i'd say it's just bad timing...give it another go, your efforts will be rewarded
10-12-02 05:25 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
cocksucker wrote:
Dirty Work is the baddest record the Stones ever made.

and that's why it's so good...and that's why the stones are so good is because they've always been so bad...and they don't care... 'cos they're the rolling stones and we're not

"too rude" is the best as is "one hit" and "harlem shuffle" ...with "had it with you" and "fight" the rage is palpable - it's not pretty by any means but then dirty rock an roll wasn't meant to be

sure the band sounds fractured and distorted but it's real - that's what was happening at the time

and charlie's out of it on narcotics and nobody really notices until he tells everybody 10 years later!! wtf is that all about?... dirty work indeed... not that it matters but it just goes to show there is usually more going on than meets the eye

ultimately, the bitter-sweet coda of stu's boogie-woogie would only leave the most indifferent fan unaware that they had listened to a defining piece of work

and does anyone know what tom waits does to get his credits - thanx

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
10-12-02 06:21 AM
beer Dirty Work!!!! Haha, fuck the songs, they should remaster the cover picture!

----sorry Dirty Work fans. But Stu really does have the best song on the album.
10-12-02 06:47 AM
RubyFriday I envy you all that you like it.I try it every few years again.One Hit and Harlem Shuffle...but the rest ?... >archive.The Stones seem to dislike the rest either or why do you think they rarely play it live?
The best of the past 20 years is for me:

[Edited by RubyFriday]
10-12-02 07:30 AM
MRD8 I've wondered for a long time why they don't do One Hit in concert...they play a wonderful version of it on the Toronto '89 video...then it was rehearsed in Ansterdam for the '99 shows but never played...it was practiced in Toronto this year too but so far hasn't shown up in the setlist...I sure hope it does at some point!
10-12-02 08:18 AM
F505 I agree with cocksucker on this. I think the 'older' Stones fans don't like the album because they grew up with classic albums in the sixties and seventies. Compared to these albums Dirty Work is a real flop. And the artwork of the cover is probably made by someone who is a salesman in peppermint sticks: horrible!!!!
10-12-02 10:14 AM
lucasd4 DW is the most underrated album of the their career...I never understood how any Stones fan could dislike any Stones album....they all have at least one or two classic songs...."One Hit" is one of the best Stones songs of the past 20 years....why is it not on LICKS???? "Fight" kicks like a mule...it sounds like a live "Jumping Jack Flash" from the '72-'73 tour...if "Had it With You" were on EXILE, everyone would be calling it an all-time classic
10-12-02 05:23 PM
Joey
<----- Dirty Work is a crap album !!!!

You tell them little buddy ...........

To this day Mick and Keith greatly regret ever producing this disc -- it nearly broke up the band and was the primary cause of Charlie diving head first into Smack ( Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! Smmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaack )!!!!!

Mick grunted out the vocals for the entire album in just under two hours one Saturday afternoon , Ronnie had a hand in writing most of the tracks ( that alone made not only fans of the band shudder but even disciples of Rock and Roll saying to themselves -- huh ???? ) , Charlie could not believe he was asked to pound the skins on such worthless tripe , Wyman figured DW would finish off his musical career so he decided to get into the restaurant business and write a book on the band , and Keith , realizing himself what a mess this one was , went to St. Louis looking for Johnnie Johnson to see if he wanted to form a new band with Taylor , those cats from the Winos , and Waddy Wachtel ( SIC ) , who every time I see a picture of him my nut sack creeps so far up into my body cavity that people on the street passing me by fear I have the mumps or something ..................

What was the question here anyhow ???????????? Oh well , go Texas -- Hook ' Em Horns !!!

" Carly is going for the Matresses again Ronnie "

Kunta Joey {{{ Toby Joe }}}}

He is a Slave to Rock and Roll
10-12-02 06:00 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Joey's pot leaf wrote:

<----- Dirty Work is a crap album !!!!

Shut up y'ol pot leaf - you just don't like Dirty Work because it harshes your mellow. It has been voted the #1 Rolling Stones record you should probably NOT smoke pot to, which may have something to do with its unpopularity amongst Rolling Stones fans.

Dirty Work's ability to engender such controversy is in itself some kind of indication of its inherent quality. It is a terrifying, awful document of hatred, dissolution, and anger, created almost unintentionally by the guys that defined these characteristics in rock and roll music. It absolutely rocks (buffalo) balls. Don't care what anybody thinks - after Back to Zero's soulless funk, which is admittedly crappy sounding even if I do sometimes think there's a good song buried in its awful sonics, side two, including "Winning Ugly", is the best sustained rush of Stones music playing/lyric/vibewise of the last 25 years. It destroys/satirizes the yuppie vibe of the mid 80s while fully implicating the guy singing most of the words, no mean feat. It is a terribly unprofessional record, just like England's Newest Hitmakers. I like unprofessional records, and wish the Stones would make them more often. I think it's the confused nature of Bridges to Babylon that made it their best album since, yes, Dirty Work.
10-12-02 06:57 PM
full moon Nasty, that was brilliant...Amen to that..
Page: 1 2 3