ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A kiss to the all the nice girls at Rocks Off who make this place so special!
By William Coupon from the "40x20 Exhibition" now on tour...

This header is dedicated to Pammy Mammy!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dirty Work is getting........... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10-12-02 08:16 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
cocksucker wrote:
Most people who are under 30 seems to like this garbage but they have grown up with Michael Jackson, Madonna and Don Johnson so....

Mmm, it's probably true that DW is more liked among younger fans.
But you don't have to be so condescending about it, because the time-context of the album as well as the style can hardly be compared to the artists you bring up. I don't see the connection between an early Madonna song (Like a virgin, Material Girl) and a DW song (Fight, One Hit, Had it with you). So that can't be the reason. The fact that us young fans who were brought up in the eighties (I'm 28) became Stones fans, is evidence enough that we're not average young people!

Jeez!
10-12-02 08:30 PM
full moon Angie, Have you heard the 8 minute version of Winning Ugly.. Really is quite good.. Guitars are a little more acoustic flavored and bluesy..
10-12-02 08:56 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
full moon wrote:
Angie, Have you heard the 8 minute version of Winning Ugly.. Really is quite good.. Guitars are a little more acoustic flavored and bluesy..

No full moon, I never heard that one. But I know of it. And you know, acoustic and bluesy are my favorite music related words even!!

Ah, well, DW was my very first Stones record. I got it for Xmas from my parents, nice vinyl, typically eighties neon colours on (ugly) cover. Maybe that's why I'm sesitive about it. I was 12 years old and got my first very own grownup record. I listened to it all the time, because it was the only Stones music I had at the time. After that, a friend of my mom started copying his Stones records onto audio cassettes for me. Stil have these somewhere.
And look what I've got myself into since then!!
10-12-02 09:16 PM
stonesmik Too bad...
[Edited by stonesmik]
10-12-02 09:34 PM
Angiegirl Thanx Stonesmik, but my download speed is too slow for such a large file. I have a 33k6 modem... But thanx for the option!!
10-12-02 10:08 PM
BILL PERKS THE HARLEM SHUFFLE REMIXES WERE GREAT AS WELL.JOEY,ARE YOU WRAPPING YOUR SKUNK IN USED TOILET PAPER AGAIN?
10-12-02 10:12 PM
full moon Right you are Bill, I just listened to the Harlem Shuffle (long Version)on the Flashpoint/Collectibles cd...
10-14-02 07:49 AM
Maxlugar I'm 36, Nasty is 32 and 2000 Man is, like, 50 and we all love Dirty Work.

It is revisionist to claim Dirty Work failed. When it came out it felt like it was going to be huge.

It they toured behind it it would have been a monster.

M!
10-14-02 08:41 AM
lucasd4
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I'm 36, Nasty is 32 and 2000 Man is, like, 50 and we all love Dirty Work.

It is revisionist to claim Dirty Work failed. When it came out it felt like it was going to be huge.

It they toured behind it it would have been a monster.

M!

When you look back at the time that it was made, DW was a respectable hit...it reached #4 on the charts and went platinum...two songs from it reached the top 40....most of the Stones peers at that time were dead, broke up, or way past their commercial peak...the Stones were still competitive....and when you compare the artistic merits of the album to the stuff (pop-metal, synth pop) that was out at the time, DW looks even better
10-14-02 08:45 AM
full moon It is fashionable to slag the album, because it was around that time that is was " uncool" to like The Stones because they were " old". That is a load of garbage...
10-14-02 09:03 AM
Pants Make the Man I distinctly remember that "Dirty Work" got great reviews. One quote that I remember from Rolling Stone magazine called it their best album since "Exile On Main Street". Maybe I should smoke a dubious cigarette and give that album a second listen.
10-14-02 09:20 AM
Joey " You just don't like Dirty Work because it harshes your mellow ..............."

And we all know how painful THAT can be !

Skittles Joey
10-14-02 10:15 AM
Sir Stonesalot It always sounded to me like a pile of those songs were written to be played in big stadiums. I've seen the Stones play both Harlem Shuffle, and One Hit live. They both translate well to a big stage.

Has anyone else noticed that the Stones tend to write songs that they know will sound neat in a big stadium or arena? Like, You Got Me Rocking....you know, with the "Hey Hey" part. Or Out Of Control...or Saint Of Me. It's like they knew that they needed new stuff to play live, so they wrote some songs that are big stadium rock songs. Songs with easy shout along parts, songs with drum and bass breaks, all big stadium stuff.

I'll bet if they played some of the Dirty Work stuff live, it would come off really well.

Stiil, I think DW makes a better beer coaster than a Stones album.
10-14-02 10:32 AM
Joey " Stiil, I think DW makes a better beer coaster than a Stones album. "

I would like to nuzzle you .

J.
10-14-02 10:42 AM
steel driving hammer I wouldn't mind atou if Had It W/ You, Winning Ugly, Hold Back or Fight was played on this tour.

Hell w/ the Neighbors version they're doing, wouldn't mind atou.

10-14-02 11:01 AM
jb Sleep Tonight is a good song....
10-14-02 11:37 AM
steel driving hammer I love Sleep Tonight!

Most ALL his ballads are just heart felt.

Cry in yer beer...
10-14-02 11:39 AM
jb I feel like I look like Keith in my new avatar at the Rock-n-Rll hall of fame induction....
10-14-02 11:40 AM
Maxlugar Dirty Work is the dog in the park that makes all the other dogs roll over on their sides and stick their leg up.

Dirty Work is the Hells Angels biker making his way through a crowd of Flower Children with a crow bar.

Dirty Work is the fish in your tank that makes all the other fish bunch up in a corner.

Dirty Work is the Hawk circling above a meadow full of frightened Field Mice.

It sits back on it own balls and smiles.

And I love it.

MAXY!
[Edited by Maxlugar]
10-14-02 11:45 AM
steel driving hammer Lets Roll.

Stones are Rolling as hard as they did in 75.

Just unbelievable aint it?

10-14-02 12:34 PM
Joey " I feel like I look like Keith in my new avatar at the Rock-n-Rll hall of fame induction.... "

I don't know about all of that , but your new Avatar definitely shows off your beautiful Persian Lineage !

And now , THIS :

Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Kunta Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Toby Jo Jo Jo Jo Jo Joey

{{{ BUNNY JOEY !!!! }}}}}}

10-14-02 12:44 PM
jb I am not Arabic Joey...I am , however, very tan...notice the difference b/t a real tan and one M.Lugars "artificial" coloring..
10-14-02 12:50 PM
Joey " I am not Arabic Joey...I am , however, very tan...notice the difference b/t a real tan and one M.Lugars "artificial" coloring.."

What's that your drinking in the picture ...........?

It looks like a " Hypnotic " .........

Bombay Sapphire Martini perhaps ?????

Please ...........I's justs gots to knows !!!!!

Kunta Joe

{{{{ TOBY }}}}}

10-14-02 12:53 PM
Maxlugar Uh, excuse me but M. Lugars is a tan earned toiling in the hot sun.

Moving incredible amounts of bushes, trees and boulders in the hot early 80's sun.

T-shirt plastered to his young, toned teenage body by gallons of sweat!

This is not some tan earned by sitting in one of your pretty boy tanning machines!

Plus your Iranian blood doesn't hurt. It's really not fair Josh!

Ayatollah Maxy!

10-14-02 12:54 PM
jb "Dirty Martini".....How about those fucking Canes!!!!!!
[Edited by jb]
10-14-02 12:56 PM
steel driving hammer Joey I think you just a Exile spread sheet to do all those Jo's.

Either that or you're "fucking mad"!!!

I can see you right now at work doing that!

Roll on my brother.
10-14-02 12:57 PM
Joey " How about those fucking Canes!!!!!! "

Oklahoma will eat you guys up ..........

By the way , you all should have seen the tan I got in the ' Nam back in ' 67 ! Tasty !!!!!! You young Joey was pretty lithe and svelt back then .....

Gimme a J ! J !
Gimme a O ! O !
Gimme a E ! E !
Gimme a Y ! Y !

What's that spell ? Joey !

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaah Joey !

Kunta Boy

10-14-02 01:08 PM
jb Joey, someone as smart as you clearly would not state "Oklahoma will eat you up"..I trust that was a typo....as far as nam...remeber some guy got pissed about that last time....but hey, Nepalm has it's plus side!!!
[Edited by jb]
10-14-02 01:18 PM
steel driving hammer Miami has a cheap offense but it works.

Oklahoma will destroy Miami's defense.

Saw Miami and Flordia St this Sat, great game.

10-14-02 01:25 PM
jb Miami do not lose to often to teams like Oklahoma and Nebraska...we usually shut them down pretty good....We seem to be a fantastic big game team..albeit a lucky one this past Saturday!!!
Page: 1 2 3