ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Under My Thumb - Hyde Park - June 1969
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Grizzly Stadium, Missoula, MT - 4th October 2006 - Setlist, pix and review Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
5th October 2006 05:12 AM
razorback http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/10/05/news/local/news02.txt

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/10/05/news/top/news01.txt

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/10/05/news/local/news03.txt
[Edited by razorback]
5th October 2006 05:33 AM
Gazza

Associated Press/Billings Gazette Staff
5th October 2006 06:54 AM
Jeep Stones show they still know how to rock
By JAMIE KELLY of the Missoulian

http://missoulian.com/articles/2006/10/05/news/local/news03.txt

They said there wouldn't be a bad seat in the joint, and they weren't joking.

With a light show that must have been visible from the three-quarter-full moon that hung over Mount Sentinel, the Rolling Stones, made into middle-aged ants at the base of their 90-foot mass of metal and lights, jammed through a song cycle of rock 'n' roll history that sent 21,000 half-blinded fans into fits of delirium.

With the first blast of fireworks at exactly 8:30 p.m. that sent an “awwwww” into the night sky, Mick Jagger and his band rushed the stage in a frenzy of blue and white light to “Jumpin' Jack Flash.” Jagger, prancing around in signature style like a man one-third his age, shook his butt in tight black pants, chomped on lyrics with his fishlike mouth, and in a burgundy sport jacket and black, sequined T-shirt, did moves that would probably make an entire body bruise of many men his age.

Meanwhile, guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood hung mostly in place, bending for solos but mostly letting Jagger's calisthenics carry the show. Wood often looked bug-eyed, like he'd been caught stealing something, while Richards sucked on smokes and flicked the butts downstage.

The light show - considered one of the best in all of rock - was mesmerizing. The stage, fully lit from top to bottom with dancing images, cradled a gigantic, 40-foot screen that gave every viewer an MTV-like view of the production. At times the lights were so intense you could literally feel their heat from the floor.

The Stones played for a full 40 minutes before the band took a ride on the B stage into the middle of the stadium. It was then that the crowd went most crazy, and it was a sight to behold. A motorized section of stage rolled past the 50-yard line as the band ripped into the disco-laced “Miss You.” And there it stayed, giving every concertgoer a view that was up close and personal.

A full complement of four horns, two keyboards and three background singers filled in the sounds of such hits as “Let's Spend the Night Together” (song No. 4), “All Down the Line” (No. 6), the furious-turned-guttural-blues “Midnight Gambler” (No. 7), “Rough Justice” (No. 15, the song bleeped at last year's Super Bowl), “Get Off of My Cloud” (No. 15, the first time it's been performed on this leg of the tour), with “Sympathy for the Devil,” “Brown Sugar,” “Start Me Up” and “Satisfaction” closing out the night.

All were performed with perfect technical precision and, besides Jagger's unwillingness to carry some of the higher vocal parts, without any signs of declining skills. Ron Wood's slide guitar has never sounded better, even when chomping on a banana and smoking at the same time.

If there's a weakness to the evening, it's that everything seemed so well-rehearsed, so choreographed and laid out in sequence, that there was an element of soul missing. Every Jagger move was carefully chosen for full effect, even when he stuffed a microphone down his pants. The fact that the show was performed under what looked like a spaceship sponsored by RadioShack didn't help in that regard.

One of the authentic moments - you might even call it tender - was Keith Richards' personal hello to Missoula. While Jagger thanked the people for coming from as far away as Great Falls and “Spo-CAIN,” Richards' greeting seemed genuinely warm, even a little sad.

“This is new territory for me, and I've been around a lot,” said a man showing his age to a crowd that knew he was talking from the heart. “You've got beautiful country here. I'm thinking about moving in.”

The Stones are down the road, and you can bet they will never play Missoula again. Not in this lifetime.

But fans can be thankful they got the experience to see these living legends while they still could. Even people who don't consider themselves Rolling Stones fans had to be impressed by this show.

Late-middle-aged men? Sure. But they performed like kids, and they brought out the kid in a lot of people who grew up with them, too.
5th October 2006 07:00 AM
Jeep Photos The Missoulian :

5th October 2006 07:16 AM
Gazza
quote:
Poplar wrote:

people - a dose of reality for a moment. the band hasn't played there in 40+ years, I'm pretty sure most people went home happy with what they saw.

have to say I agree. Who'd have thought theyd ever play somewhere like this? For most of that crowd, they'll have never seen them before and never will again. If that was my only Stones show ever, I'd have taken it - gladly.
5th October 2006 09:02 AM
LadyJane I'm not fretting about setlists anymore.

I'm too busy fretting about rain!!!!!!!

Please no rain in Chicago!!!!

LJ.
5th October 2006 09:15 AM
Phog I'm sure the folks in Montana are pretty happy today. They got Rambler, ADTL, and GOOMC which are all nice. Plus they got a show in a very neat setting. Good for them.

Hope it stays dry for you LJ.
5th October 2006 09:33 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm not fretting about setlists anymore.

I'm too busy fretting about rain!!!!!!!

Please no rain in Chicago!!!!

LJ.

Don't fret, LJ...I'm bringing the rainstick with me.
5th October 2006 10:10 AM
rocket Greetings from Montana! Thought I might give you some insight from the "Montana perspective." The band flew in a few days ago (Monday) and is staying at a guest ranch about forty minutes from town. Mick started the show by joking "I shot an elk this morning. It's okay, though, I put it back."

Like most at the show, I had not seen the Stones before. While Missoula gets its share of shows for a college town (lately, Pearl Jam -bassist Jeff Ament lives here - Bob Dylan, Sting and REM) nothing here has even come remotely close to the scale of this and it's only the second time they have used the outdoor stadium for a rock show.(We hope this prompts more.) It's been said that last night was the biggest concert in the history of the State.

The stadium is a cozy bowl nestled against a mountain that had 21,000 seats for last night, which made it intimate for an outdoor show. There is no track, so the seats are right "on top of" the stage and floor.

After a week of Stones mania, tempered by predictions of rain, yesterday was beautiful and the weather held literally until the final note, when a light rain started. The show was fantastic and the energy from the crowd was amazing. The band looked great and seemed authentically relaxed and excited. They looked to be having fun playing to fans for the "first time" this many years down the road.

I agree with the earlier poster here that most people at the show didn't necessarily care about the depth of the set list, as they were seeing the band for the first time. The Stones seemed to scew the setlist to the crowd, which worked well.

Bottom line: it was an incredible show and an amazing night in our little corner of the world. As the crowd walked away from the stadium on different sides of the river that runs through town, the two banks were alternating the "hoo hoos" from Sympathy, which echoed into the night. Quite a night in ol' Missoula.
5th October 2006 10:13 AM
Gazza Thanks for your review, rocket. Glad you folks had a great time.

This thing about the crowd still shouting the "whoo whoo" bit of 'Sympathy' well after leaving the stadium seems to be catching on. It was happening after the London shows and Ive read a few accounts of it in the States too.
5th October 2006 10:16 AM
LadyJane welcome rocket!

Thanks for that review.

We get a little jaded around here. You just reminded us of the magic that this Band continues to bring....40 plus years into it. I've got a lump in my throat. Imagine that.

LJ.

5th October 2006 10:17 AM
FotiniD
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Don't fret, LJ...I'm bringing the rainstick with me.

Hahahaha, that's a lovely idea!

Seems that during this tour, the one thing Keith looks to be surelly SURELY off at is his rainstick ritual
[Edited by FotiniD]
5th October 2006 10:18 AM
charlotte welcome to the asylum rocket...thanks for the review, nothing like having your first stones orgasm
5th October 2006 11:18 AM
rocket Thanks for the welcome! Truly a great show last night. Have to confess to being a huge U2 fan, especially live, but blown away by the Stones. The band and their production team are amazing.

Looks like the Stones are continuing their week in Montana, as their charter is not yet scheduled to depart Missoula for Regina.

You all may get a kick out of the link below. Garrison Keillor broadcast his Prairie Home Companion radio show on NPR from Missoula last Saturday while they were setting up the Stones show next door in the stadium. He took a little time for a spoof and sing along. Might be worth a listen. It's in the middle of segment 3.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2006/09/30/

Back to work, slowly . . .
5th October 2006 11:27 AM
jb I LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SHOW-VERY TOUCHING.
5th October 2006 11:39 AM
glencar I like that they brought back ONNYA & yet they also kept RJ. NICE! And let me add my welcome to Rocket. It's nice to have an on site review.
5th October 2006 11:40 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
rocket wrote:
As the crowd walked away from the stadium on different sides of the river that runs through town, the two banks were alternating the "hoo hoos" from Sympathy, which echoed into the night.

This is a common occurrence at Stones shows...no one here knows why...it is just that way
5th October 2006 12:04 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
pdog wrote:
Is it raining everywhere!

Super happy AC is INDOORS!!!
5th October 2006 12:08 PM
glencar see U there!
5th October 2006 12:48 PM
Some Guy A full complement of four horns, two keyboards and three background singers filled in the sounds of such hits as “Let's Spend the Night Together” (song No. 4), “All Down the Line” (No. 6), the furious-turned-guttural-blues “Midnight Gambler” (No. 7), “Rough Justice” (No. 15, the song bleeped at last year's Super Bowl), “Get Off of My Cloud” (No. 15, the first time it's been performed on this leg of the tour), with “Sympathy for the Devil,” “Brown Sugar,” “Start Me Up” and “Satisfaction” closing out the night.

“Midnight Gambler”!! new song??
5th October 2006 01:08 PM
Poplar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
have to say I agree. Who'd have thought theyd ever play somewhere like this? For most of that crowd, they'll have never seen them before and never will again. If that was my only Stones show ever, I'd have taken it - gladly.

no shit, eh Gazza? there's a time to be a stickler for setlists, etc. lord knows i am at times... but fucking hell, Missoula Montana? reality check, folks. btw - the last few lines of that article capure the bittersweetness of it perfectly. I'm happy for those stones fans up in montana. gold rings on 'em.
5th October 2006 01:11 PM
Poplar
quote:
rocket wrote:
it was an incredible show and an amazing night in our little corner of the world. As the crowd walked away from the stadium on different sides of the river that runs through town, the two banks were alternating the "hoo hoos" from Sympathy, which echoed into the night. Quite a night in ol' Missoula.

I read that three times. man i love this band.
5th October 2006 02:06 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
rocket wrote:

Bottom line: it was an incredible show and an amazing night in our little corner of the world.

Welcome, Rocket! Well done on your review!

SV
5th October 2006 02:12 PM
Jeep A video report (with sound problems), the link is in "Featured Video" :

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/
5th October 2006 03:18 PM
telecaster I will never understand howe someone gets upset about a setlist for a show they aren't at
5th October 2006 03:22 PM
Gazza well, to look at it another way, its also equally as bizarre to get excited by a setlist at a show you werent at and will never hear, either....
5th October 2006 03:37 PM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well, to look at it another way, its also equally as bizarre to get excited by a setlist at a show you werent at and will never hear, either....

Agree...

5th October 2006 04:14 PM
glencar
quote:
telecaster wrote:
I will never understand howe someone gets upset about a setlist for a show they aren't at

I just want to see them shaking it up. When I went to one show each at the 81 & 89 tours, I didn't care what was palyed elsewhere. I skipped 94 for personal reasons & when I first went in 97, I was happy with whatever was served up. But when I started attending multiple shows, I became a set list whiner. I can't help it; it's part of what makes me, well, ME!
5th October 2006 04:15 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well, to look at it another way, its also equally as bizarre to get excited by a setlist at a show you werent at and will never hear, either....

frankly, I'm surprised the Stones every stray from their warhorses set...I wholly undestand when they give the people what they want
5th October 2006 04:20 PM
rocket Hey all. If you go to flymissoula.com
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)