ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Rogers Center, Toronto, ON--26th September 2005
© and thanks to John Wood!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is your favorite rs greatest hits cd? Return to archive Page: 1 2
23rd September 2007 06:29 PM
fireontheplatter i have been listening to forty licks as of late.
23rd September 2007 06:32 PM
lotsajizz I grew up with 'Hot Rocks' on vinyl...the song order is burned into my head...
23rd September 2007 06:44 PM
Honky Tonk Man 40 Licks is the best of them for numerous reasons, but I'd go for either the UK Big Hits or Hot Rocks.
23rd September 2007 07:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I grew up with 'Hot Rocks' on vinyl...the song order is burned into my head...

For the same reason, this is mine...'Get Stoned'..first Stones album I ever heard and my introduction to most of the songs that were on it

Released by the now defunct Arcade label in 1977, this was a 30-track TV advertised double album.

My parents got me this for Christmas. I was so excited by the ads for it (especially the 'JJF' promo clip) that about two weeks before Xmas, when they were out at a dinner, I raided their wardrobe where theyd hidden it, took it downstairs and played it for hours.

Track listing -

1. Not Fade Away
2. It's All Over Now
3. Tell Me
4. Good Times Bad Times
5. Time Is on My Side
6. Little Red Rooster
7. The Last Time
8. Play With Fire
9. Satisfaction
10. Get Off of My Cloud
11. I Wanna Be Your Man
12. As Tears Go By
13. 19th Nervous Breakdown
14. Mothers Little Helper
15. Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow
16. Paint It Black
17. Lady Jane
18. Let's Spend the Night together
19. Ruby Tuesday
20. Dandelion
21. We Love You
22. She's a Rainbow
23. 2000 Light Years From Home
24. Jumpin' Jack Flash
25. Gimme Shelter
26. Street Fighting Man
27. Honky Tonk Woman
28. Sympathy for the Devil
29. Wild Horses
30. Brown Sugar

[Edited by Gazza]
[Edited by Gazza]
23rd September 2007 07:44 PM
Throwaway Made in the Shade is a great one, but is limited to early 70s stuff. The best would have to be Hot Rocks (1964-1972)..I remember listening to that live Rambler over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
23rd September 2007 07:51 PM
Lord (Hetero) "Sucking in the 70's" and "Made in the Shade" because they feel close to the band still. Same with both Hot Rocks.
"Rewind" has a good vibe about it because it reminds of the Jagger/Wyman video.
I personally hate 40 Licks the most. It reminds me of corporate Stones and the EDITS!!!! I can not even listen to a Stones song that I know has been edited. Eg "Hot Stuff", "Fool to Cry", "Beast of Burden".
I am talking about the kind of edits that are made purely for greed reasons, not or artistic ones.
23rd September 2007 07:57 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Lord (Hetero) wrote:
"Sucking in the 70's" and "Made in the Shade" because they feel close to the band still. Same with both Hot Rocks.
"Rewind" has a good vibe about it because it reminds of the Jagger/Wyman video.
I personally hate 40 Licks the most. It reminds me of corporate Stones and the EDITS!!!! I can not even listen to a Stones song that I know has been edited. Eg "Hot Stuff", "Fool to Cry", "Beast of Burden".
I am talking about the kind of edits that are made purely for greed reasons, not or artistic ones.

i totally agree

a large part of me bought 40 licks because of the 3 new songs that were on it. the editing of certain songs blows.
23rd September 2007 10:16 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

For the same reason, this is mine...'Get Stoned'..first Stones album I ever heard and my introduction to most of the songs that were on it

Released by the now defunct Arcade label in 1977, this was a 30-track TV advertised double album.

My parents got me this for Christmas. I was so excited by the ads for it (especially the 'JJF' promo clip) that about two weeks before Xmas, when they were out at a dinner, I raided their wardrobe where theyd hidden it, took it downstairs and played it for hours.

My brother and I used to do the same thing before Christmas. We'd find the gift-wrapped records, carefully open the paper, slit the plastic, play the records, re-wrap them and put them back in their hiding spots...lol

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
23rd September 2007 10:36 PM
monkey_man Hot Rocks (on vinyl) was a staple for me. . .
23rd September 2007 10:48 PM
Lord (Hetero)
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

My brother and I used to do the same thing before Christmas. We'd find the gift-wrapped records, carefully open the paper, slit the plastic, play the records, re-wrap them and put them back in their hiding spots...lol

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

me too early on. I had a few official albums but real early on I still had no idea what was what. So among my first 10 was "Stone Age", "Rock'n Rolling Stones", "Milestones" and "Gimmie Shelter".
It took me a while to get into "Got Live if you wnat it" because I was so used to the clever edits on the Live side of "Gimmie Shelter". best thing about GS and Milestones was the cover anyway)
24th September 2007 02:51 AM
pdog Exile On Main St. listened to it while gatting another tat last night!
24th September 2007 05:15 AM
Zack
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I grew up with 'Hot Rocks' on vinyl...the song order is burned into my head...

Ibid.

Great cover too, with the superimposed profiles and the photo session at Stargroves in those costumes. Stared at that for hours. Cleaned a lot of weed on it too.
24th September 2007 05:21 AM
mrhipfl forty licks. First Stones product I ever bought.
24th September 2007 01:14 PM
Mr Jurkka My first product was bridges to babylon album.. but Forty Licks is best.. i can listen it through time after time.
24th September 2007 01:32 PM
steel driving hammer Mostly anything Stones is my greatest hit, don't matta.
24th September 2007 01:34 PM
time is on my side I grew up on Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) and Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol 2) on vinyl (still have the original albums- both were so badly worn out and scatched that I bought them both again so I have a couple of copies on vinyl).

For a long time, preferred these to Hots Rocks or the later More Hot Rocks. Probably for sentimental reasons. Even just a few days ago, I had a choice between Fourty Licks, Hot Rocks, or Through The Past, Darkly in my CD case & found myself mysteriously grabbing the Through The Past, Darkly CD for some reason.
24th September 2007 01:41 PM
Gimme Shelter Hot Rocks
24th September 2007 03:35 PM
glencar Rolled Gold!
24th September 2007 05:25 PM
Erik_Snow Rolled Gold for me. I listened to it as child
I completely agree to Lord Hetero's comments on Forty Licks and Rewind
[Edited by Erik_Snow]
24th September 2007 07:24 PM
andrews27 Original 2-LP More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies) with rainbow inner sleeves of the Between the Buttons park shoot. Who can argue with an Andrew Oldham comp?
24th September 2007 07:47 PM
mojoman beatles "one"
24th September 2007 08:46 PM
Egbert Rarities
24th September 2007 10:27 PM
MrPleasant Flowers?
24th September 2007 10:28 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
Original 2-LP More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies) with rainbow inner sleeves of the Between the Buttons park shoot. Who can argue with an Andrew Oldham comp?

That one too.

http://www.amazon.com/More-Hot-Rocks-Fazed-Cookies/dp/B00006EXDO
24th September 2007 11:11 PM
mojoman
quote:
Zack wrote:

Ibid.

Great cover too, with the superimposed profiles and the photo session at Stargroves in those costumes. Stared at that for hours. Cleaned a lot of weed on it too.

sticks&stones?
24th September 2007 11:24 PM
mojoman
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
I grew up on Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) and Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol 2) on vinyl (still have the original albums- both were so badly worn out and scatched that I bought them both again so I have a couple of copies on vinyl).

For a long time, preferred these to Hots Rocks or the later More Hot Rocks. Probably for sentimental reasons. Even just a few days ago, I had a choice between Fourty Licks, Hot Rocks, or Through The Past, Darkly in my CD case & found myself mysteriously grabbing the Through The Past, Darkly CD for some reason.

dandelion........
25th September 2007 01:49 AM
silvertrainlikesmick More Hot Rocks and Fazed cookies
Sucking in the Seventies

25th September 2007 02:13 AM
silvertrainlikesmick
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
I grew up on Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) and Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol 2) on vinyl (still have the original albums- both were so badly worn out and scatched that I bought them both again so I have a couple of copies on vinyl).

I found a copy (vinyl) of High Tide Green Grass recently and the picture book is completely intact.
[Edited by silvertrainlikesmick]
25th September 2007 10:22 AM
Nasty Habits Through the Past Darkly is just a relentlessly awesome record.

25th September 2007 11:46 AM
gimmekeef I guess I was lucky enough to have been around when all the original lps were issued.I bought 40 Licks to condense for my CD player...and have bought every damn remaster series they released...High Tide was one of the very first best of's from any group.....They sure have milked the "best of" format although not all under their control with Klein et al....
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)