ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Rogers Center, Toronto, ON--26th September 2005
© and thanks to John Wood!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what is your favorite rs greatest hits cd? Return to archive Page: 1 2
27th September 2007 01:25 AM
Egbert
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Through the Past Darkly is just a relentlessly awesome record.

Yes indeed. TTPD was my first Stones album, a hand-me-down from an uncle. The front cover has to be one of my favorite shots of the band.
27th September 2007 01:51 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Egbert wrote:

The front cover has to be one of my favorite shots of the band.

Mine too. I actually beleive it was the last ever photo shoot to feature Brian. Febuary 1969
27th September 2007 09:01 AM
guitarman53 First it was "High Tide & Green Grass" from what I remember that was one of the Stones biggest selling albums in the 60's, I liked "Through The Past Darkly' with the album shaped like a stop sign.
I loved "Hot Rocks" that was a double album, & of course "40 Licks" it's hard to say a favorite, I'd have to say "Hot Rocks"
Then there was the follow up "More Hot Rocks" which had a few tracks never released before besides U.K.
27th September 2007 09:35 AM
speedfreakjive Jump Back!!
not sure it was released in US

1. "Start Me Up" – 3:34
2. "Brown Sugar" – 3:48
3. "Harlem Shuffle" (Bob Relf, Ernest Nelson) – 3:24
4. "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (but I Like It)" – 5:07
5. "Mixed Emotions" – 3:59
* Edit Version
6. "Angie" – 4:31
7. "Tumbling Dice" – 3:45
8. "Fool to Cry" – 4:06
* Edit Version
9. "Rock and a Hard Place" – 4:11
* Edit Version
10. "Miss You" – 3:34
* Edit Version
11. "Hot Stuff" – 3:30
* Edit Version
12. "Emotional Rescue" – 5:39
13. "Respectable" – 3:07
14. "Beast of Burden" – 3:28
* Edit Version
15. "Waiting on a Friend" – 4:35
16. "Wild Horses" – 5:43
17. "Bitch" – 3:36
18. "Undercover of the Night" – 4:33
27th September 2007 05:58 PM
Honky Tonk Man Jump Back was released in the States during the Licks tour and it did suprisingly well.

I like it as a compilation as it was my first real introduction to the post-Brian Jones eta.
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
27th September 2007 06:01 PM
glencar It did well because it was priced at an economy level. It was $9.99 whereas 40 Licks was $18.99.
27th September 2007 06:03 PM
pdog mine is still Exile On Main St.
27th September 2007 09:53 PM
Glimmer Twin I grew up with Hot Rocks too, but I think that the Singles Collection: The London Years may be best. Only thing about Forty Licks is that some of the disc two songs are short versions, which i hate.
29th September 2007 06:58 PM
Factory Girl For me it was LOVE YOU LIVE on vinyl. I also listened to Milestones on vinyl.

My first Stones record-Let It Bleed on vinyl.
[Edited by Factory Girl]
29th September 2007 07:32 PM
Erik_Snow
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
For me it was LOVE YOU LIVE on vinyl. I also listened to Milestones on vinyl.

Love You Live is a live album.....
29th September 2007 09:24 PM
The_Worst
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I grew up with 'Hot Rocks' on vinyl...the song order is burned into my head...

Same here except it was Hot Rocks on CD. Played it every Friday & Saturday night in college!
29th September 2007 10:09 PM
Lethargy
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
forty licks. First Stones product I ever bought.

Welcome aboard, mate! Nothing wrong with 40 licks being your first stones abum, and don't take any shit for it. Hell, my first stones album was Emotional Rescue, for crying out loud. I bought it the week it came out, when I was years old.
30th September 2007 08:12 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
I guess I was lucky enough to have been around when all the original lps were issued.I bought 40 Licks to condense for my CD player...and have bought every damn remaster series they released...High Tide was one of the very first best of's from any group.....They sure have milked the "best of" format although not all under their control with Klein et al....

Same here. Never had any use for a "best of" because I had all the originals...unless you count "High Tide" or "Flowers."
30th September 2007 10:00 PM
Soldatti Hot Rocks by far.
Forty Licks is a great compilation too.
1st October 2007 03:59 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Hot Rocks by far.
Forty Licks is a great compilation too.

no, Hot Rocks has no material past Exile, so a lot of good tracks are missing
1st October 2007 04:16 AM
Altamont High Tide vinyl had the cool big color pictures in the gate if I recall. Brian sittin on the chair with his Rickenbacker.,

and 'Through the Past' was a great comp with the octagon shaped cover.

The one that blew my mind originally was Hot Rocks, for sure.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)