ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA, Rocktober 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Killers Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 23rd, 2005 05:27 PM
Honky Tonk Man I picked up a copy of the US edition of Hot Fuss and I have to admit that this band is amazing! For me, Brandon Flowers is one of the best singer/songwriters to have emerged from America for a long time.

Maybe it's the Cobra larger I've been guzzling, but they rock, in a kind of 1980's Duran Duran kind of way.
September 23rd, 2005 05:58 PM
Joey

A friend of mine burned me a copy of Hot Fuss and it is GREAT !!!!!!!!

I love THE KILLERS
September 23rd, 2005 06:31 PM
Trey Krimsin Great band. They remind me more of The Cars.
September 23rd, 2005 06:51 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:
Great band. They remind me more of The Cars.

that's a contradiction

or should be

Cazart!!!
September 24th, 2005 03:35 AM
Jumacfly I ve seen them last summer : they re not very rock n roll
September 24th, 2005 03:38 AM
egon I like the album very much, BUT....,

it's a bit heavy on the (80s) synthesizer
September 24th, 2005 03:39 AM
egon
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I picked up a copy of the US edition of Hot Fuss

What's the difference between that & the EURO one?
September 24th, 2005 04:11 AM
exile I have heard about them, what kind of music?
September 24th, 2005 06:04 AM
egon you don't know the single?

"somebody told me,
that you have a boyfriend,
that looks like a girlfriend..."
September 24th, 2005 08:18 AM
sj Great album, Hot Fuss. Love the line 'I got soul but I'm not a soldier'.

They named themselves after the make believe band used in the video of the New Order track 'Crystal' from about 2000 or 2001.

Cheery,
sj
September 24th, 2005 08:20 AM
MRD8 I have a DVD of their performance at the Glastonbury festival in June of '05...I was pleasantly surprised by how good they are!
September 25th, 2005 08:41 AM
Col
quote:
sj wrote:
Great album, Hot Fuss. Love the line 'I got soul but I'm not a soldier'.

They named themselves after the make believe band used in the video of the New Order track 'Crystal' from about 2000 or 2001.

Cheery,
sj

That is a great line. I was gonna say killer line. It's the one I remember the most, hits you somewhere deep. Still wouldn't buy their album though, almost did. It's the sound. Modern production techniques maybe. To fill the room, you've got to have a stones album up to 25, with Killers, Kasabain or Oasis, only 15.
September 26th, 2005 03:08 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I was praising this band on this very board months ago. They are a very good band. Hot Fuss is a great album and they are a very tight live outfit.
September 26th, 2005 04:56 AM
IanBillen I won't trash the hell out of them. However,

I do not care for them. I realize the song writing was good. I will give it that.

However they are not Rock as some say. And surely are not Rock n Roll. That is plainly obvious.

They seem a little light for me. Also Their style and sound is completely unoriginal. Their sound is New-Wave with a dash of punkyness here and again. That is so 1982-83.

I know they are basically a retro gig and all but I was not impressed. I have heard it all before.

There was a comparison to Duran Duran earlier. I see an ever so
slight similarity but it isn't the first band they put me to mind of at all. And Duran Duran was much better from what I have heard.

Not bashing them really, They just don't do anything for me.

Ian
September 27th, 2005 10:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
However they are not Rock as some say. And surely are not Rock n Roll. That is plainly obvious.

They seem a little light for me. Also Their style and sound is completely unoriginal. Their sound is New-Wave with a dash of punkyness here and again. That is so 1982-83.
Ian

Points taken on board Ian.

However, who's ever stated that they are rock?

Secondly, what's wrong with their new-wave 80's sound? Yes, it isn't entirely original, but they've at least added a modern twist to the genre.

You’re a big Stones fan, right? Well excuse me, but they started off my imitating they're heroes. The killers are only a couple of years old and have only released one album. It took the Stones a couple of years to really create their own musical identity and it's no different for any other band.

Hot Fuss is a fantastic debut effort and I'm looking forward to the next release. Who knows, maybe this one will be a little less new wave and a little more rock. Would that suit you better?
September 27th, 2005 11:46 AM
Saint Sway they are not rock and roll

the comparison to the Cars was close. In that the Cars were a bad pop band.

The Killers, Maroon 5, Blink 182. Its all crap. All the new bands are pop crap. Just a bunch of cute kids making pop songs.

Christ! this is why people hear actually like Rain Fall Down and Look What The Cat Dragged In. You are beyond help.

you want a new rock band? One that actually rocks?

try Kings Of Leon. And if theyre a little too rawk for ya then give The Redwalls a spin.

and heres a simple rule of thumb to follow if you are Rocks Offer who is too old to know whats cool and whats not:
if its a band getting played on the radio and especially on MTV or VH1 - then they are lame, weak-ass, sappy pop crap. And do NOT rock.

the record industry hates real rock bands. So you have to dig a little deeper to find them.

OMG... people here think The Killers are a rock band. This place cracks me up!
September 27th, 2005 11:54 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
they are not rock and roll

The Killers, Maroon 5, Blink 182. Its all crap. All the new bands are pop crap. Just a bunch of cute kids making pop songs.

OMG... people here think The Killers are a rock band. This place cracks me up!

There are quite a few differences between The Killers and the other bands you mentioned in the same light. The Killers have CREDIBILITY for starters.

I have never stated that The Killers are rock. I don't think they're rock at all and I'm sure they don't see themselves in that mould either.

They are a band influenced by the inde and new wave scene of the 1980's. They take their inspiration from such great bands as The Smiths, The Cure, Joy Division and New Order.

September 27th, 2005 12:01 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

They are a band influenced by the inde and new wave scene of the 1980's. They take their inspiration from such great bands as The Smiths, The Cure, Joy Division and New Order.

you are correct

except the part about those other new wave bands being "great"

otherwise spot on

and yes you are also right that they dont rock

I'm sure they are worth listening to if you like that new wave stuff

personally I'd rather be locked in a portosan
September 27th, 2005 12:28 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Some here (Joey) may actually like that!
September 27th, 2005 01:22 PM
PeerQueer They get very heavy rotation in the clubs on both coasts. All in all, cool music. Great to dance to, great to get high to, great to fuck to.

Not in the Stones league of course, but few are...
September 27th, 2005 02:17 PM
Joey
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
They get very heavy rotation in the clubs on both coasts. All in all, cool music. Great to dance to, great to get high to, great to fuck to.

Not in the Stones league of course, but few are...

|
|
|
V

**** SNIFF ****

September 27th, 2005 02:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
They get very heavy rotation in the clubs on both coasts. All in all, cool music. Great to dance to, great to get high to, great to fuck to.

translation: promiscuous gay men on ecstacy are into The Killers.

thanks Peer Queer. That about sums it up.
September 28th, 2005 03:41 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

you are correct

except the part about those other new wave bands being "great"

otherwise spot on

and yes you are also right that they dont rock

I'm sure they are worth listening to if you like that new wave stuff

Well, I appreciate your opinion Saint Sway. Lets just agree to disagree.

September 28th, 2005 03:50 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Im with you Honky Tonk

I do class New Order as great.
The smiths are one of the most influencial bands of all time. Morrissey is a god.
The cure simply made some blinding songs
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]
September 28th, 2005 04:03 AM
Honky Tonk Man I'm glad you’re with me Voodoo Scrounge.

I for one would rather listen to the cream of 80's alternative scene then any clichéd rock band.
September 28th, 2005 04:08 AM
Voodoo Scrounge To be honest. I love all of the alternative stuff from the 80s. But I do enjoy a bit of cheese too. I like a lot of Duran Durans stuff. One of my favourite songs at the moment is one of their 90s songs. Come undone.
September 28th, 2005 04:20 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
To be honest. I love all of the alternative stuff from the 80s. But I do enjoy a bit of cheese too. I like a lot of Duran Durans stuff. One of my favourite songs at the moment is one of their 90s songs. Come undone.

Actually, It's funny that you should mention Duran Duran. I had a friend once who loved rock music of any kind. Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam and so on. Basically, if you named them, he's day he liked them. However, we were both stoned one time and he starts singing "Her Name Was Rio..." and then it all came out. He confessed everything. He was a closet Duran Duran fan.

I like a bit of cheese too. You live and work in London, right? There’s a growing trend for bars and clubs that cater for those who like to get utterly wankered while strutting up and down to Wham, that band Boy George was in and all the rest of that stuff.

Walkabout, opposite Temple tube station is a good one. They have live bands there too. It's always a laugh, but be wary, if you look slightly drunk or wobble at all, your out!
September 28th, 2005 04:25 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Yeah, I tend to steer clear of walkabouts full stop. If I want to be patronised by a large group of foriegn students, then I may go back but Im not keen on the places.

Its true, the 80s cheese factor is big at the moment. Their was a bar in Crotdon called flairs. It used to play only 70s soul and motown music, it was great. They changed the name and decor now, its called ...wait for it....The reflex and only plays 80s cheese. Classic

Just stated in the Listening tastes thread that I have been listening to Ordinary World this week. Love that album.
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]
September 30th, 2005 05:16 AM
IanBillen [quote]Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Points taken on board Ian.

However, who's ever stated that they are rock?

Secondly, what's wrong with their new-wave 80's sound? Yes, it isn't entirely original, but they've at least added a modern twist to the genre.

You’re a big Stones fan, right? Well excuse me, but they started off my imitating they're heroes. The killers are only a couple of years old and have only released one album. It took the Stones a couple of years to really create their own musical identity and it's no different for any other band.

Hot Fuss is a fantastic debut effort and I'm looking forward to the next release. Who knows, maybe this one will be a little less new wave and a little more rock. Would that suit you better?

Well now let's see. Hmmm more rock by the Killers. I would give them another chance.

*Very Interestingly:
I found out today!!! As a complete coincidence. The person (I won't mention any names) who got credit for engineering the songs supposeably did only a few. I actually know the engineer who worked on Hot Fuss. There was a big dispute and a law suit was considered. You cannot bring this up to him because it is a sore spot so nobody mentions this to his face but many know the story. This guy really knows his stuff and teaches at my school (Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences). I asked another instructor why he doesn't bitch. I guess he did and let his position be known to the band. The instructor said he wouldn't win because it would be him against bigger fish. the Killers have called him since and want him to work on their next album when they start. This guy is really nice and told others it was out of The Killers hands.

Anyway back to your Killers. I don't hate them. They are just not my thing. I don't want to offend you but I feel IMHO they are over-rated. Now it is just my opinion. But you know me. Hell I'll giv e anything a listen. By the way the song writing was good on Hot Fuss. Here is alot of it for me, I never cared for the new-wave punk sound. I'll take punk sure, but not a new wave mix. and I never cared for new wave. Sure The Killers are just starting. Like I said though I cannot spot anything original coming from them. The White Stripes are not original but they have a twist and got something special that is hard to narrow down. Yet it is definatively there. As for The Killers I just don't feel anything. They just don't grab me. Oh well. Like I say I would spin their next attempt just to see what was up with it.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
September 30th, 2005 07:29 AM
exile I just -ahem- aquired some tracks from The killers

Got to say im very impressed

Bit pink floyd, with 8o's synth, bit rock, a good mix

me thinks I will get me the album
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)