ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA - October 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SWAY!!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 26th, 2005 07:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Sometimes I think people are always comparing live versions of songs to the studio versions. If it's done differently or if doesn't sound the same then there is an immediate negative reaction among some who have grown up loving the studio version.

While this is understandable, I'm not one of those that necessarily has to have the exact studio version replicated on stage. The version of SWAY in Columbus was a good one. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed it. Must have been a great show.

agree 100%. If we were too obsessed with the perfection of an original studio song then by that definition the Stones should never have even attempted to play Jumpin ' Jack Flash or Gimme Shelter in concert.

The original and only version we have to compare Sway too is from 35 years ago and the Stones were a very different band than they are now.

If the band can be different, then so can the songs. To any artist worth a damn, the original should only be a template for future performances anyway where it can be developed and reinvented
September 26th, 2005 07:58 AM
charlotte Not only Sway but I really liked 19th Nervous Breakdown at MSG...
September 26th, 2005 08:02 AM
Zack Jagger said on the clip he couldn't remember what album Sway came off of. He said that about a couple last tour too, even got it wrong once or twice. Can he really be serious when he says that shit? How can he not remember what's on Sticky Fingers? Or is it just part of the act?
September 26th, 2005 08:11 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Zack wrote:
Jagger said on the clip he couldn't remember what album Sway came off of. He said that about a couple last tour too, even got it wrong once or twice. Can he really be serious when he says that shit? How can he not remember what's on Sticky Fingers? Or is it just part of the act?

I'm 100% positive it's part of the act.
The guy knows what the t-shirts sold at gigs look like. There's no way he could 'forget' such a thing. But I think he likes this sort of detached, "oh what album was that in?" attitude.
September 26th, 2005 08:22 AM
Nasty Habits I doubt anybody into the Stones seriously desires exact reproductions of the studio versions - that's a paper tiger. I think that the reason some people, or at least I can speak for myself, are raising an eyebrow over this version is that it doesn't sound committed and/or inspired. On evidence available on MP3, the band does not seem particularly excited or passionate about attempting this song. It's definitely done as a fan request. And that's fine, but it doesn't sound like Jagger has found anything new in the lyrics that he particularly cares to invest himself into. It's done for somebody else, not for them. When artists do something for someone else and not themselves and don't discover something new about a song along the way it's called "hackwork". Sway as presented on Sticky Fingers is a bizarre, passionate fragged out oddball philosophical masterpiece, and to turn it into kind of a halfassed country lope is somewhat disappointing. The drums are too steady, too.

Great that they played it, though. Hope that they keep it around. Wanting Jagger to sound like he really cares about his lyrics onstage is something of a paper tiger in itself.

September 26th, 2005 08:29 AM
Factory Girl "Its just a demon life life that got you in a swaaaay."

I'm so happy they played it, and I don't care if they were rusty.

I want Sway at MCI! Thank you in advance.
September 26th, 2005 08:48 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
On evidence available on MP3, the band does not seem particularly excited or passionate about attempting this song. It's definitely done as a fan request. And that's fine, but it doesn't sound like Jagger has found anything new in the lyrics that he particularly cares to invest himself into. It's done for somebody else, not for them.

First off, I agree with Factory Girl, I'm so thrilled we finally got to hear it live, I ain't got no complaints about it.

Also, I don't think they were bored to actually try and play it - they definitely don't sound bored or not excited when they're playing stuff they've been doing for ages (all the warhorses for that matter) so you'd expect lots of passion when they finally get to play something 'rare'. It could never sound again like it did on Sticky Fingers, and the comparisons are just unfair, but I think that if they continue playing it, it will get better.

I'm more focused on Mick on this one - if only he could just let loose a bit and sing it out with all his heart. Forget the show aspects and the dancing routines for a while and just feel what you sing. That would really make a difference.
September 26th, 2005 09:13 AM
Joey
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
99 brought us "I Got The Blues" which had not been played
in a very long time...
02 brought us CYHMK, bang up Woody solo...
05 brings us Sway..
And so, Sticky Fingers has finally all been played live..
It would be great to hear Let It Rock again, however, given the dislike for Chuck Berry, it probably will not happen...

What a friggin back catalog to delve into?

This is glorious !!!!!!

Finally ..... after thirty four years --- YES !!!

September 26th, 2005 09:14 AM
glencar Yes indeedy. About time. Now play some new stuff. Expand that setlist, boys!
September 26th, 2005 09:16 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes indeedy. About time. Now play some new stuff. Expand that setlist, boys!

Here's hoping they play Winter soon .........
September 26th, 2005 09:54 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I doubt anybody into the Stones seriously desires exact reproductions of the studio versions - that's a paper tiger. I think that the reason some people, or at least I can speak for myself, are raising an eyebrow over this version is that it doesn't sound committed and/or inspired. On evidence available on MP3, the band does not seem particularly excited or passionate about attempting this song. It's definitely done as a fan request. And that's fine, but it doesn't sound like Jagger has found anything new in the lyrics that he particularly cares to invest himself into. It's done for somebody else, not for them. When artists do something for someone else and not themselves and don't discover something new about a song along the way it's called "hackwork". Sway as presented on Sticky Fingers is a bizarre, passionate fragged out oddball philosophical masterpiece, and to turn it into kind of a halfassed country lope is somewhat disappointing. The drums are too steady, too.

Great that they played it, though. Hope that they keep it around. Wanting Jagger to sound like he really cares about his lyrics onstage is something of a paper tiger in itself.

Yes, that's exactly what I feel. It has nothing to do with wanting them to play a song like the studio version, a replica. Nothing. They can make new arrangements, new solos, new rhythm, hell, even new lyrics for all I care. They can turn it contemporary, they can turn it into a country tune or whatever. It's not about that. The point is, however they choose to play it, play it professionaly and with conviction and heart. That's what's missing imo.

And Nasty hits the nail on the head when he states it sounds like they were doing it purely for someone else without investing personal desire and feeling in it. It IS their song after all, even if Mick tries to be cool in pretending he 'hardly even remembers it between their thousands of great songs'!
September 26th, 2005 09:54 AM
PartyDoll MEG O.K. I was there. When I heard those first chords, I got goosebumps and tears in my eyes.... I don't think I took a breath till the song was over.
The guitar work was basically all Ronnie and yes he isn't MT, but he did a great job(if they keep it in the line up, it is sure to get better). I didn't sense that Mick wasn't interested in the lyrics, he appeared to give it his all. The timing was a little off and little bit too uptempo. The crowd didn't know the song, so the reaction was not like the tried and true war horses. There were bungles here and there (You can catch more on the recording) and it is obvious they need to practice this more so all of you can experience what I did!!! Once in a life time for me!!
[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
September 26th, 2005 09:55 AM
J.J.Flash If they play the same setlist, people can't get enough of bashing them.... if they do play SWAY, people keep on bashing.... come on.......

I'm really happy they attempted to play this song after 34 years..... and being quite frankly, Ronald played his solo well....
September 26th, 2005 09:57 AM
Angiegirl I can imagine your reaction and shock Meg!! It also sounds like Mick's just trying to concentrate very much, maybe that's why his vocal deliverance sounds so superficial and off. But to have heard it, the fact that they attempted it, is great!
September 26th, 2005 10:57 AM
Lethargy Just listened to the MP3 of SWAY for the first time.

How freaking awesome! And how different a vibe. Much faster than the original, which is neither good or bad just different. Ronnie does FINE on this one. Mick sounds fine too. Charlie of course is good too. Gosh, my only complaint it the overly clean sound of Keith's guitar. Not his playing, just the sound. This song is all about semi-delirium, dischordant passion, and shouldn't in any way sound clean. But overall, it's better than I expected as I downloaded the file with some trepidation.
September 26th, 2005 11:20 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Just listened to the MP3 of SWAY for the first time.

How freaking awesome! And how different a vibe. Much faster than the original, which is neither good or bad just different. Ronnie does FINE on this one. Mick sounds fine too. Charlie of course is good too. Gosh, my only complaint it the overly clean sound of Keith's guitar. Not his playing, just the sound. This song is all about semi-delirium, dischordant passion, and shouldn't in any way sound clean. But overall, it's better than I expected as I downloaded the file with some trepidation.

Keith almost uniformly refuses to dirty up his live guitar tones these days. It's a real drag...

Still, I thought this "Sway" sounded fine.
September 26th, 2005 11:28 AM
star star charlie a bit subdued...? i know he's older now, but that drumming in sway must be some of his finest work
September 26th, 2005 11:33 AM
Saint Sway my head is spinning!!! I am seriouslyl FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!!! I am so happy that they finally played my favorite Stones song!!!!!

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In honor of this glorious occassion I'm gonna take the whole week off of busting on Bang.

September 26th, 2005 11:35 AM
pdog
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

In honor of this glorious occassion I'm gonna take the whole week off of busting on Bang.

How about banging on some busts!
September 26th, 2005 03:41 PM
telecaster I don't even know you people anymore

Bitch bitch bitch

You are comparing a bootleg version of a song recorded by some fan in Sec 356 with a cassette player of a song played for the first time live with a studio version of a song from 35 years ago with studio overdubs, engineering work, and 30 takes and re-engineered 20 times with more overdubs and engineering work

Good lord
September 26th, 2005 05:05 PM
gotdablouse The groove is pretty unsteady, but hey that's still a treat to hear ! You get used to it by the second listen...

It reminds me a bit of the CYHMK performances of 2002, timing was always a bit off, which is a shame considering the rythmic talent of Charlie, Mick and Keith.
September 26th, 2005 06:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
"Its just a demon life life that got you in a swaaaay."

I'm so happy they played it, and I don't care if they were rusty.

I want Sway at MCI! Thank you in advance.

I love that it sounds rusty!!!!!

The song should ONLY be played juiced and sloppy. If it doesnt sound like the hinges are about to fall off at any second then it shouldnt be played at all. Thats what Sway is!

God save us if Sway ever got the glossy Vegas sound that has ruined so many great Stones classics like Tumbling Dice and Honkeytonk Women on recent tours.

Neil Young once described the Stones as "The worlds greatest garage band."

and thats the sound of the Stones are their true R&R core. Dirty! Sloppy! Rough around the edges! When they play songs with this kind of looseness and abandon - like a train thats flying off the tracks - that when you hear the true Stones at their glorious best.

Fuck the slicked up Start Me Up intro with the explosions and pirotechnics. Give me the Stones thats a raw rock band playing Sway to an arena as if they were a bar band in sleezy joint.

I cherish all my old boots with them playing all fucked up and sloppy. Theres a real geniune beauty and raw passion in that sound that has been lost during this slicked up Steel Wheels "Vegas" Era.

Thank God they FINALLY played Sway.

And thank God it was every bit as rough and rusty sounding as its meant to be!!

if it sounded glossy and slick - and had Blondie, Lisa & Bernard doing syrupy harmonizing on the chorus of "its just that demon life has got you in its sway" - I would of jumped out the window screaming NOOOOOOOOOO as I hurled face first to the pavement.

The Stones are back! The tour is not a bust!

[Edited by Saint Sway]
September 26th, 2005 07:41 PM
time is on my side I agree the version played in Columbus was rough, sloppy, and a little loose.

THANK GOD!!!

I'm praying I get the same version when I see them twice next month.
September 26th, 2005 08:15 PM
gotdablouse Let's not confuse sloppiness with the timing being a bit off, that's amateurish. The Hyde Park concert is really sloppy for instance, rough sound, out of tune guitars, but I can't remember the timing being a off like on this version of Sway, or on many nights on the 2002 tour during the "jam" part of CYHMK.
September 26th, 2005 10:07 PM
monkeyman62 very nice version, mick just needs too scream more,
like on the album version, and they need to slow it down a bit, but all in all a nice effort for try number one
September 27th, 2005 01:47 AM
Zack I suspect it's going to be a one-off, like She Smiled Sweetly, unfortunately.
September 30th, 2005 10:16 AM
eXiLe oN 2nD sT nah, they will play it again... maybe a Philly show... boston nyc or chi-town in 06... somewhere that deserves it.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)