ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks John Wood
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 John Wood!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Where Is Keith On The New Album? Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 23rd, 2005 03:26 PM
Egbert
quote:
CraigP wrote:
Satanic Majesties is one of their greatest albums. It was my #1 for a while. The music on that album is groundbreaking.

I like most of it other than In Another Land and On With The Show. Take those two off and replace with Dandelion and We Love You and you've got a classic.
[Edited by Egbert]
September 23rd, 2005 04:03 PM
the good
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
did I mention that I only consider Satanic Majesties, Steel Wheels and Undercover to be worse Stones albums.

although Hold Onto Yer Hat, Too Tough, Undercover, Pretty Beat Up and Break The Spell pretty much wipe the carpet with anything on Bang.

The thing is Saint Sway,
Debates in art criticism are always controlled by those who have the breadth of imagination to understand and appreciate a work of art, not by those who fail to grasp its aesthetic qualities and subject it to simple minded and repetative derision. There are people to this day who deride many of Picasso's works, but thankfully, their arguments have not carried the day, just as those who deride and demean a good new Stones album will not own or control the argument about its merits or demerits in the years to come. In the art world, the future belongs to the believers, not the naysayers.
September 23rd, 2005 04:14 PM
Saint Sway Bang aint art.

you can dress up your review of it with fancy art terms but its still crap.

Its certainly not the Picasso of their career!!!

try again.

whether you're willing to admit it or not, the Emperor has no clothes.
September 23rd, 2005 06:03 PM
White House Lawn >>I cant critique Bigger Bang on this board? I'd give my same critique on a crowes board, but trust me, no one owns or wants to discuss a new stones record over there.<<

In the same way that most of the folks here are sick of YOU babbling on about the Black-Fucking-Crowes!
September 23rd, 2005 07:13 PM
Soldatti You can say what you want Saint Sway, but just think that this is the Stones now, year 2005 and light years from the glory days. The fact that they're still releasing records and this record it's #1 worldwide for a second week it's a real miracle. Enjoy the new stuff that they're giving to us.
The new records are 100% fun with a couple of great songs every time and pleasant filler, the classic albums were already done.
September 23rd, 2005 09:11 PM
gotdablouse True but it wouldn't hurt to have Keith be a bit more involved in coming up with interesting guitar lines if he can't be bothered to write more than a handful of songs in 8+ years...
September 24th, 2005 04:27 AM
2000monkey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Bang aint art.

Bang isn't art by the criteria of the ridiculous nonexistent Stones album you hear playing in your head where the Stones kick ass like the Black Crowes.

It IS art by definition. They are recording artists and the product of that activity is art. Whether it's good art or bad is determined by whether they were successful in doing what THEY wanted to do and how successfully that was communicated. If few liked it you could build a consensus that it was a failed project. You can't.

In 30 years we'll be having these conversations about the Crowes. About how Chris what's-his-name has lost it and calling them The Black Crones or The Black Crowes Feet. Wait, in 30 years no one will give a fig about The Black Crowes.
September 24th, 2005 07:17 AM
marko Stones have NOTHING to do with ART!
Stones are rock n roll band,not art.
September 24th, 2005 09:07 AM
blackandblue And Keith is in top shape on ABB!
September 24th, 2005 09:16 AM
IanBillen First he didn't write anything on the album. Now the dude isn't even really playing on it either right?

What's next? Keith Richards never was really in the band in the first place?

I'll tell you what. If they buy this one I think we may be able to convince most Keith Richards really never existed as a guitar player. We can tell everyone he is, and always was, a secretary at an all girls school in Rhode Island.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
September 24th, 2005 09:24 AM
blackandblue
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
First he didn't write anything on the album. Now the dude isn't even really playing on it either right?

What's next? Keith Richards never was really in the band in the first place?

I'll tell you what. If they buy this one I think we may be able to convince most Keith Richards really never existed as a guitar player. We can tell everyone he is, and always was, a secretary at an all girls school in Rhode Island.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

You are wrong! Keith Richards was never born.
September 24th, 2005 01:55 PM
2000monkey
quote:
marko wrote:
Stones have NOTHING to do with ART!

That kind of attitude is why the Stones encounter age discrimation. Because people are clueless about rock music as a legit artform and the Stones as some of it most inspired practictioners. They see them in crass, commercial terms as a bunch of old jackasses who won't get of the stage.Is the Blues art? If so, what makes the Blues more inherently artistic than Rock? Is B.B. King an artist? Muddy Waters? None of these people are artists. What a revelation.
September 25th, 2005 06:44 AM
Col
quote:
the good wrote:

The thing is Saint Sway,
Debates in art criticism are always controlled by those who have the breadth of imagination to understand and appreciate a work of art, not by those who fail to grasp its aesthetic qualities and subject it to simple minded and repetative derision. There are people to this day who deride many of Picasso's works, but thankfully, their arguments have not carried the day, just as those who deride and demean a good new Stones album will not own or control the argument about its merits or demerits in the years to come. In the art world, the future belongs to the believers, not the naysayers.

Haha! I like your post cause I consider myself a bit of a pretentious twat.(that is a compliment) But C'mon, BB is very mediocre. It's still only an opinion that you've voiced.
September 25th, 2005 06:53 AM
Col
quote:
marko wrote:
Stones have NOTHING to do with ART!

Stones have everything to do with art. I think Keef would say the same if he was being honest, I'm sure of it. Back in the day like when they were evolving and pushing the musical barriers. Art and artist are words that are brandished far too freely though. The art of writing a CV. The art of posting. The art of taking a piss. Robbie Williams, artist as opposed to entertainer. You get my drift. ABB is mediocre music written to please fans. But I'm still glad they made it though, cause the highlights are sweet!
[Edited by Col]
September 25th, 2005 06:54 AM
star star there is a seperate category for art rock. the stones do what they do best--down and dirty rock and roll. listen to some early roxy music if u want to know what art rock is. actually its great to listen to when high.
September 25th, 2005 09:51 AM
JaggerLips WHY ARE WE SLAGGING OFF KEITH??? HE'S 61 YEARS OLD FOR GOD'S SAKE, NEARLY 62!
JEEZ WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT??????

I LOVE A BIGGER BANG IT'S ONE SASSY ALBUM IT SOUNDS NEW AND DIFFERENT FROM OTHER STONES ALBUMS.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS WANT???
September 25th, 2005 09:57 AM
Gazza we want you to stop shouting, for a start... ;-)
September 25th, 2005 10:02 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
Gazza wrote:
we want you to stop shouting, for a start... ;-)

Ok ok already. Come on Gazza I had to shout because some people are expecting something from their fantasises to happen, well that's just it it's fantasy. A Bigger Bang is the reality and it's fanatastic!
September 25th, 2005 10:11 AM
Col
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
WHY ARE WE SLAGGING OFF KEITH??? HE'S 61 YEARS OLD FOR GOD'S SAKE, NEARLY 62!
JEEZ WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT??????

I LOVE A BIGGER BANG IT'S ONE SASSY ALBUM IT SOUNDS NEW AND DIFFERENT FROM OTHER STONES ALBUMS.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS WANT???

It is new, but it doesn't sound new. A couple tunes sound a bit different maybe. And a few tunes just sound like awful Mick Jagger solo out-takes.

But still, I want the Stones and other bands I love to release music until they die so that I can love it or grow to love it or simply have an opinion on it which might not be the same as other folks opinions.

And then I want to make music for a living, see world peace, see the mighty Aberdeen win the league and have the girl I fancy give in to my advances and fuck me like there's no tomorrow.

Well, 2 of my wishes are gonna come true!
September 25th, 2005 10:14 AM
Moonisup Maybe there is a lack of 'real' keith songs on this albums. Songs that, when you listen, say..........KEITH
Like too tight and low down on BtB. Maybe that's it. Ik really believe that mick did wrote 90% of the songs!
But the album is released, and it's history!

I just want keith to stop playing INFAMY
September 25th, 2005 10:23 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
Maybe there is a lack of 'real' keith songs on this albums. Songs that, when you listen, say..........KEITH
Like too tight and low down on BtB. Maybe that's it. Ik really believe that mick did wrote 90% of the songs!
But the album is released, and it's history!

I just want keith to stop playing INFAMY

Wrong! Rough Justice, O no not you again, back of my hand, look what the cat dragged in, drive too fast, this place is empty, dangerous beauty are all keith songs imo.
September 25th, 2005 11:28 AM
Moonisup
quote:
blackandblue wrote:

Wrong! Rough Justice, O no not you again, back of my hand, look what the cat dragged in, drive too fast, this place is empty, dangerous beauty are all keith songs imo.

have you checked the credits???
BOMH is TOTALLY Jagger, as are others you mention....
September 25th, 2005 11:36 AM
blackandblue My credits tell me:

1 Rough Justice Jagger, Richards 3:11
2 Let Me Down Slow Jagger, Richards 4:16
3 It Won't Take Long Jagger, Richards 3:54
4 Rain Fall Down Jagger, Richards 4:53
5 Streets of Love Jagger, Richards 5:10
6 Back of My Hand Jagger, Richards 3:32
7 She Saw Me Coming Jagger, Richards 3:12
8 Biggest Mistake Jagger, Richards 4:06
9 This Place Is Empty Jagger, Richards 3:16
10 Oh No Not You Again Jagger, Richards 3:46
11 Dangerous Beauty Jagger, Richards 3:48
12 Laugh, I Nearly Died Jagger, Richards 4:54
13 Sweet Neo Con Jagger, Richards 4:33
14 Look What the Cat Dragged In Jagger, Richards 3:57
15 Driving Too Fast Jagger, Richards 3:56
16 Infamy Jagger, Richards
September 25th, 2005 11:56 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
My credits tell me:

That's mandatory though, Like Lennon/McCarntey
McCartnery would say yeah yeah yeah and Lennon would write the rest of She Loves You.
I think Richards input on some song lyrics is minimal some things are just too Jagger!!
Other things are just too Richards!!
September 25th, 2005 12:05 PM
Moonisup
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
My credits tell me:

I meant the people who play on the song, sure I hoped you'd understand that, but a pitty you didn't get that, not a suprise when yu truly believe that keith co-wrote SOL. Why would Matt Clifford and dave steward be on a stones alum then......
September 25th, 2005 09:45 PM
Soldatti
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
My credits tell me:

Check the WRONG credits for Ruby Tuesday, JJF, Sway, Winter, TWFNO, Miss You.... and almost 60-70% of the Stones songs post 1989.
Charlie will write a song and you can bet that Mick and Keith will be on credits.
September 25th, 2005 11:28 PM
Neocon It's cool you folks are having the same debate as last week. I can't get enough of it either. For the Keith fans I'd say look at these songs to find Keith:

Rough Justice (mainly keith)
Let me Down Slow (Chorus, and very Keithish words in places)
It Won't Take Long (Keith type chord structure)
She saw Me Coming (Keithish)
This place is Empty (mainly Keith)
Infamy (Mainly Keith)

Where else might you find Keith? Possibly the INXS type riffs important on a couple of songs like "Look What the Cat Dragged in" and possibly "The Rain Fell Down." Some musical stucture in "Oh No Not You Again" and "Dangerous Beauty".

Keith has said "Streets of Love" is a "Mick Tour Deforce." He has said the slide Riff from "Back of My Hand" was Micks. "Biggest Mistake" seems pretty much Mick. Most folks think "Driving Too fast" "laugh I Nearly Died" and "NeoCon" are all Mick. I've heard folks say they think Keith had an important role in creating the music for Driving Too Fast" and Neocon." Most folks however seem to think they are pretty much all Mick.

September 25th, 2005 11:30 PM
the good
quote:
Col wrote:

Haha! I like your post cause I consider myself a bit of a pretentious twat.(that is a compliment) But C'mon, BB is very mediocre. It's still only an opinion that you've voiced.

Well, let me put it in simple terms then: Your a fucking dumb ass if you don't like the new album
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)