ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks thanks John Wood
Rogers Centre, Toronto September 26, 2005
© 2005 John Wood!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Where Is Keith On The New Album? Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 23rd, 2005 09:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man Okay, I know he's playing on the new record. I just gave it that thread title to grab everyone’s attention.

My main query concerns what guitars is he playing. Many of the songs have acoustic rhythm and I presume that’s Mick and I presume its Ronnie playing the rhythm on Oh Not You Again.

So, is Keith’s only contribution, the acoustic on This Place Is Empty and all the little fills scattered on nearly every song?

It seems to me that the man is only capable of playing a basic riff and the odd Chuck Berry style fill. Is he playing any real solid rhythm on A Bigger Bang?
September 23rd, 2005 09:13 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Okay, I know he's playing on the new record. I just gave it that thread title to grab everyone’s attention.

My main query concerns what guitars is he playing. Many of the songs have acoustic rhythm and I presume that’s Mick and I presume its Ronnie playing the rhythm on Oh Not You Again.

So, is Keith’s only contribution, the acoustic on This Place Is Empty and all the little fills scattered on nearly every song?

It seems to me that the man is only capable of playing a basic riff and the odd Chuck Berry style fill. Is he playing any real solid rhythm on A Bigger Bang?

good point Alex.
may be on Driving too fast, dangerous beauty and it won t take long, rough justice (a lazy riff)....but it's clear , Keith as re invented the old weaving...but alone on ABB!!
September 23rd, 2005 09:38 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Okay, I know he's playing on the new record. I just gave it that thread title to grab everyone’s attention.

That would be Mick on ONNYA rhythm as well as the acoustic slide on TPIE.

He plays some solid rhythm on Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, and She Saw Me Coming... Other than that, it's Noodle City.
September 23rd, 2005 10:22 AM
Gazza >Where Is Keith On The New Album?

hes the guy on the front cover between Mick and Ronnie
[Edited by Gazza]
September 23rd, 2005 10:39 AM
speedfreakjive isn't it Keith playing the riff in Rain Fall Down?
September 23rd, 2005 10:41 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Where Is Keith On The New Album?

hes the guy on the front cover between Mick and Ronnie

The Bon Jovi thread has done his effect..hopefully it's soon the week end Gazza
[Edited by Gazza]
September 23rd, 2005 11:17 AM
the good Keith isn't on the album. Just ask Mel Belli et al. Mick wrote all the songs, played all the instruments, and even manufactured the CD's himself. That's why the album took 8 years to make.
September 23rd, 2005 11:36 AM
Lethargy
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
isn't it Keith playing the riff in Rain Fall Down?

Gosh, I hope not. How embarassing for Keith if that IS him.
September 23rd, 2005 11:38 AM
Moonisup he's on a song that just sounds like lowdown,
forgot the title
September 23rd, 2005 11:49 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
the good wrote:
Keith isn't on the album. Just ask Mel Belli et al. Mick wrote all the songs, played all the instruments, and even manufactured the CD's himself. That's why the album took 8 years to make.

the longest part of the process was to type the booklet 2 millions times!!
September 23rd, 2005 11:56 AM
Saint Sway Mick is the guitar on Rain Fall Down.

in fact Mick is the dominant guitarist throughout Bang.

Keith's signature barely shows up anywhere. I suspect he's lost it.

this is why Bang sounds more like solo Mick and not at all like vintage Stones.

the guitars are embarrassing.

especially on:

Rain Fall Down - horrendous. INXS gets gayer.

Driving Too Fast - sounds like a bad Tom Petty song. Only lamer. With weaker guitars.

Look What The Cat Dragged In - such a weak ass guitar track that it makes Bon Jovi cringe.

Streets Of Love - great Goddess outtake. Is Keith on acoustic? I dont know? And I dont care! Its lame.

Biggest Mistake - Alfie outtake. See above.

Sweet Neo Con - who's playing guitar on this? Mick? Wyclef Jean? Certainly not Keef Riff Hard!

Let Me Down Slow - if you listen really, really carefully - with headphones on - you can detect a slight trace of Keith actually playing some simple chords and fills on this. Or is it Mick? Not sure why they decided to bury the guitars in the mix. I guess cause its boring weaving.

Infamy - horrendous! Keith should be ashamed. Play two notes thru some effects box. Ugh! Sounds like a video game. Worst guitar track on the record. Keith resorting to guitar effects on this lame lick is his waving of the white flag and admitting he's shot.

christ! He let Mick play slide on BOMH. Talk about waving the white flag!

and on the other songs not mentioned - RJ, IWTL, DB etc you can hear Keith but lets not praise him on it. Certainly nothing memorable.

I know I get flamed for bagging on the guitars on Bang. But they suck and if you look at this thread and others, you'll see that my opinion is shared by others.

September 23rd, 2005 12:01 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Mick is the guitar on Rain Fall Down.

especially on:

Driving Too Fast - sounds like a bad Tom Petty song. Only lamer. With weaker guitars.

Look What The Cat Dragged In - such a weak ass guitar track that it makes Bon Jovi cringe.

Streets Of Love - great Goddess outtake. Is Keith on acoustic? I dont know? And I dont care! Its lame.

Sweet Neo Con - who's playing guitar on this? Mick? Wyclef Jean? Certainly not Keef Riff Hard!

Let Me Down Slow - if you listen really, really carefully - with headphones on - you can detect a slight trace of Keith actually playing some simple chords and fills on this. Or is it Mick? Not sure why they decided to bury the guitars in the mix. I guess cause its boring weaving.

Infamy - horrendous! Keith should be ashamed. Play two notes thru some effects box. Ugh! Sounds like a video game. Worst guitar track on the record. Keith resorting to guitar effects on this lame lick is his waving of the white flag and admitting he's shot.

and on the other songs not mentioned - RJ, IWTL, DB etc you can hear Keith but lets not praise him on it. Certainly nothing memorable.

I know I get flamed for bagging on the guitars on Bang. But they suck and if you look at this thread and others, you'll see that my opinion is shared by others.

I like this album, am I normal???
September 23rd, 2005 12:08 PM
Nellcote You are a normal Stones fan.
We are fortunate to have new songs to regail in.
While others do not care for this, and this is their right,
feast upon the new material like a 16 course dinner!
For one never knows when the banquet will stop.......
Which begs the question, does anyone think the Stones will trot out "Don't Stop" this tour?
September 23rd, 2005 12:12 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

For one never knows when the banquet will stop.......

the banquet ended about 25 years ago.

Hasnt been a really good Stones album since.
September 23rd, 2005 12:22 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
You are a normal Stones fan.
We are fortunate to have new songs to regail in.
While others do not care for this, and this is their right,
feast upon the new material like a 16 course dinner!

exactly Nellcote!
life is a matter of taste, I can understand the deception of fans looking for a new Exile...but I take what they got to give,that's my perception of the Stones in 2005.

and if ABB bores me one day, I won t shout "they suck" but will come back to my clasics, place pigalle or lonely at the top.

have a nice week end you all (except jcdesq)
Ju
September 23rd, 2005 12:29 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

the banquet ended about 25 years ago.

Hasnt been a really good Stones album since.

Yawn. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
September 23rd, 2005 12:31 PM
ListenToTheLion Keith is doing a great job on ABB. Excellent riffs. He never played better on a studio album since Tattoo You.
September 23rd, 2005 12:33 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Keith is doing a great job on ABB. Excellent riffs. He never played better on a studio album since Tattoo You.

Hi to the Lion!
September 23rd, 2005 12:34 PM
ListenToTheLion Do you mean hi or hail?
September 23rd, 2005 12:40 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Mick is the guitar on Rain Fall Down.

especially on:

Why don't you move over to a Black Crowes Board. Your comments are very tiresome. You just sound like an old record that has been played over and over again. I rather listen to A Bigger Bang.
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
September 23rd, 2005 02:11 PM
Soldatti The spam it's killing this forum and others (see IORR).
Get a life people.
September 23rd, 2005 02:18 PM
Saint Sway I cant critique Bigger Bang on this board?

I'd give my same critique on a crowes board, but trust me, no one owns or wants to discuss a new stones record over there.

and, lastly, let me see if I've got this straight:
mindless praise of Bang is welcomed.
But any negative comments are considered spam?
September 23rd, 2005 02:22 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I cant critique Bigger Bang on this board?

I'd give my same critique on a crowes board, but trust me, no one owns or wants to discuss a new stones record over there.

No, but there is no use in repeating your negative comments over and over again. You made your point. You don't like the record.
September 23rd, 2005 02:27 PM
Saint Sway did I mention that I only consider Satanic Majesties, Steel Wheels and Undercover to be worse Stones albums.

although Hold Onto Yer Hat, Too Tough, Undercover, Pretty Beat Up and Break The Spell pretty much wipe the carpet with anything on Bang.
September 23rd, 2005 02:42 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
did I mention that I only consider Satanic Majesties, Steel Wheels and Undercover to be worse Stones albums.

although Hold Onto Yer Hat, Too Tough, Undercover, Pretty Beat Up and Break The Spell pretty much wipe the carpet with anything on Bang.

I kinda like Undercover - grittier production would have made it better - too slick.

Does Bill play the bass on Break The Spell? Great bass on that one.

And for the constant critiquing of AAB - ditto what LTTL said.
September 23rd, 2005 02:44 PM
Egbert
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
did I mention that I only consider Satanic Majesties, Steel Wheels and Undercover to be worse Stones albums.

Citadel too.
September 23rd, 2005 02:50 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Egbert wrote:

And for the constant critiquing of AAB - ditto what LTTL said.

my apologies

I will hereforth, try and only say complimentary things about BB

hmmm.....

lemme see...

um....

nice packaging... no wait! scratch that!

um...

great guita----- no wait.... um....

Keith's really ---- shit.... no.... um....

oh I got it! - Charlie sounds good on it!

there ya go!

Charlie sounds great! Always does!
September 23rd, 2005 02:59 PM
ListenToTheLion Keep on repeating. In the end you will convince yourself.
September 23rd, 2005 02:59 PM
2000monkey
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I cant critique Bigger Bang on this board?

The justified praise of ABB isn't mindless. Your cretinous comparisons with the Black Crows certainly are.
September 23rd, 2005 03:15 PM
CraigP Satanic Majesties is one of their greatest albums. It was my #1 for a while. The music on that album is groundbreaking.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)