ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Warren Zevon , Its a sad day. Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-09-03 09:15 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy "Mutineer". It was quite touching.

-tSYX --- Some may sink but we will float...
09-09-03 09:56 AM
Joey

Letterman DID INDEED pay a nice and touching tribute to Warren Zevon last night . It must have gone on for fifteen minutes or so .................Paul Shaffer played nothing but Warren tunes all evening .

Jersee !
09-09-03 10:08 AM
Martha
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
letterman had some kind words last night...

I fell asleep before they rolled the music clip - what song was it?

"Mutineer"
09-09-03 10:12 AM
Mother baby Letterman Bids Farewell to Zevon

LOS ANGELES - Singer-songwriter Warren Zevon , who died this week of lung cancer, received a warmhearted and poignant farewell from talk-show host David Letterman.

The star of CBS's "Late Show" spent several minutes of Monday night's broadcast reminiscing about his friendship with Zevon and his admiration for his music. Soon after Zevon announced last year that he was dying, Letterman turned over an entire program for a visit with him, and he showed clips from that show Monday.

Zevon, known for songs including "Werewolves of London" and "Excitable Boy," died Sunday at 56.

"He was a poet and a storyteller and a good friend of ours," Letterman said. "We all knew this was coming, hoping that it wouldn't, but yesterday afternoon in California the inevitable happened. So we're very sad about that."

He noted that Zevon had appeared as a guest on the program and Letterman's old NBC "Late Night" show more than a dozen times and had filled in for bandleader Paul Shaffer (news) nearly two dozen times.

"People are always asking me what do I like about his music," Letterman said.

"It was just thundering and exciting and rhythmic and complicated and unusual rock 'n' roll," he continued. "It was not the kind of rock 'n' roll you would hear much of. And then the lyrics, oh my God, the lyrics were so vivid. Just very evocative and each song that you listened to was like watching a motion picture."

Shaffer and the band played Zevon's songs throughout the show, which ended with Letterman speaking to the camera, saying, "Goodnight, Warren, we'll see ya."

[Edited by Mother baby]
09-09-03 10:17 AM
Martha The green herb IS a great anti nausea remedy, and mainstream culture is hell-bent (no pun intended...lol) on demonizing it.

I use it primarily for that, (and for depression) it is helping. I had to use it on Sunday in order to feel good enough to go to Farm Aid which, was great, by the way, because my allergies are in full bloom and I am continually nauseated when that condition strikes. I would have not made it without the herbal support, as nothing else I've taken quells the nausea, whatsoever. I am queezy today still and the nose runs all the time. Yuck. Oh, and of course, Marinol works too.

"every single cure seems to be against the law"

RIP Warren, and thank you for being you and for giving so much to the rest of us with your fantastic music, wit and genius.

"tickle ickle lickle"
09-09-03 10:24 AM
jb Thank you Gazza....that was a classic...he also made the Doctor Pepper commercials .....very catchy tune..'I drink doctor pepper and I'm proud"....
09-09-03 11:20 AM
Joey Has anyone from this board seen me Dope ?????

I lost it last night after I passed out in front of the television set as I was watching Letterman pay tribute to Warren Zevon and finishing off the last of me " Grolsch Amber Ales " .

Jacky !
09-09-03 11:59 AM
jb wHAT DID THAT JACK-ASS LETTERMAN HAVE TO SAY...YOU KNOW HE HATES THE STONES AND CONSTANTLY MAKES FUN OF THEM.
09-09-03 12:14 PM
Joey " YOU KNOW HE HATES THE STONES AND CONSTANTLY MAKES FUN OF THEM. "

lETTERMAN mAKES fUN oF aLL mUSICIANS .

jERCEE !
09-09-03 12:16 PM
jb He has a bad hairpiece.....he is as bald as Moonie and Nanker...
09-09-03 02:34 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
He has a bad hairpiece.....he is as bald as Moonie and Nanker...

That jack-ass Letterman had some very nice things to say about Warren Zevon. He also likes the Stones - so does Paul Shafer. He just makes fun of everybody.

I like Dave. More than Jay Leno. At least Dave's retained that family-unfriendly dense edge while keeping things near the Johnny Carson level. Leno tends to resort more and more to crass jokes that just aren't funny - although that Jaywalking bit is good.

In regards to our boy Warren, the band I'm in has its first full gig this November - and you can rest assured that either "Werewolves", or "Mutineer", or both, will be on the setlist. I never really got into him that much, but he did write some extrordinary stuff.

-tSYX --- Awooooooooooooooooooooooo!
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
09-09-03 02:41 PM
Boomy My opinion is that all of the late night talk shows are barrels of rotten tripe. But that is my opinion, and I hope you guys don't hate me for not liking Leno or Letterman.

But Carson...man, that guy was cool. A legend...too bad guys like Leno and Letterman get paid Millions of smackeroo's for trying to imitate the great JC.

Never will there be a tag team like the great Carson/McMahon.

"That is some really weird stuff, Joey"
"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH, JOEY.....HA HA!!...YEAH!!"
09-09-03 02:43 PM
jb "yOU ARE CORRECT SIR"...
09-09-03 02:49 PM
Joey " But Carson...man, that guy was cool. A legend...too bad guys like Leno and Letterman get paid Millions of smackeroo's for trying to imitate the great JC "

I would like to nibble your elbows .
09-09-03 02:58 PM
jb JOey, I honestly had no idea that Kate hepburn died. Why was this not played up in the media? She was, after all, the greatest actress of her generation.
09-09-03 03:35 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
JOey, I honestly had no idea that Kate hepburn died. Why was this not played up in the media? She was, after all, the greatest actress of her generation.

jb Buddy Hackett died and Buddy Ebsen also

I think Hackett was Jewish
09-09-03 04:00 PM
Joey " JOey, I honestly had no idea that Kate hepburn died. Why was this not played up in the media? She was, after all, the greatest actress of her generation. "

Josh , sometimes when you compose an ESPECIALLY humorous post , the ground shakes so hard from me laughing that one would think Muhammad Ali and Katherine Hepburn were shaking hands over here .

Jacky !
09-09-03 07:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot Johnny Carson was a fuckin' hack...just like Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis.

I'm glad Carson is off the air. The Tonite Show sucked, Carson sucked, Doc's band sucked, Ed sucked...it all sucked. The only reason that guy is a legend is because he fucking TOLD EVERYONE THAT HE WAS!

Carson is a symbol of the generation that saved the world only to royally fuck it up again. I will be glad when those symbols are all and we can get on with fixing everything that they broke, banned, squelched, and bankrupted.

09-09-03 08:26 PM
mac_daddy among the current crop, Letterman is in a league by himself. He is, and always has been, a class act. Leno sucks - now he truly is a hack. Nice guy, though, and he has a great car collection that he loves to talk about - if you are into that stuff, the guy is fascinating in person. But his show still sucks. Letterman has always supported cutting edge stuff, and stuff he likes musically. Paul S. might seem loungy and kitzchy now, but there is a reason the guy is the bandleader of the Hall of Fame band/orchestra - his peers think that highly of him, too. I don't know if you saw the shows he did right after the wtc disaster, but those shows were the finest things on TV at that moment. The guy has a great wit and sense of humor, but he can be poignant when it is appropriate - and last night it was definitely appropriate. Leno and Conan can't wipe the smirks off their faces - for anything, but at least Conan wrote good stuff once upon a time (the Simpsons). Watch out for my boy Craig - he's the next big one (though I still secretly wish for K Olberman and him to go back to SportsCenter - they were fantstic at that).

09-10-03 12:24 AM
sammy davis jr. Joshy Boy- Letterman wouldn't like YOU either. BTW, Dave isn't vain enough to wear a hairpiece.....but he does make like a trillion times more money than you. Sucks huh?
09-10-03 04:24 AM
Highwire Rob I enjoy Warren's music any time. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be playing the hell out of his tunes this Halloween!

Best alliterative rock lyric: A little old lady got mutilated late last night --Werewolves of London (Again!)

I picked up some interesting trivia on Paul Shaffer through watching VH1's "I Love the 70's" shows. It seems Paul has a single co-written hit to his credit: "It's Raining Men." --I think I'd rather listen to his spontaneous Viewer Mail, etc. tunes!

--Rob.
09-10-03 09:50 AM
nankerphelge Bald?!

[Gloves come off]

BALD?!

[Begins swinging]

Well, jb, you are a dickhead!

And I can get a hairpiece, or plugs or Propecia!

What the hell are you gonna do??

09-10-03 10:07 AM
jb Sorry nanker..no offense meant....I must have confused your picture with someone else....by the way, being bald, I'm told, is quite appealing to the female sex...I have heard stories about the bald head being quite a turn on and used to rub various parts of the body against.
09-10-03 10:40 AM
nankerphelge No offense taken jb -- I was only "joshin" ya!!

A bald head is just a solar collector for a sex machine...
09-10-03 12:05 PM
Joey " I'm glad Carson is off the air. The Tonite Show sucked, Carson sucked, Doc's band sucked, Ed sucked...it all sucked. The only reason that guy is a legend is because he fucking TOLD EVERYONE THAT HE WAS! "

You make young Joey cry like Baby !!!! WHY ????????

Why must you make young Jercee cry so violently ?!?!?!

WHY ?!?!?!?!?!

They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when the Nittany's lose ;
They call Nebraska the CornHuskers ................
Call me Stoney Blues .

.....................Stoney Blues !!!!!!!

-- Thank You !

The Jercee !

09-10-03 01:48 PM
jb I think Carson became bitter at the way NBC handled things..particularly not choosing Letterman over Leno. Is Leno lebanese?
09-11-03 05:40 PM
Joey Is Leno lebanese?

Scottish / Italian

Jercee !
Page: 1 2