ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Poncho Rico
With thanks to Irina and Lucía :)

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Warren Zevon , Its a sad day. Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-08-03 08:20 AM
Mother baby Singer, Songwriter Warren Zevon Dies

LOS ANGELES - Warren Zevon, who wrote and sang the rock hit "Werewolves of London" and was among the wittiest and most original of a broad circle of singer-songwriters to emerge from Los Angeles in the 1970s, died Sunday. He was 56.

A lifelong smoker until quitting several years ago, Zevon announced in September 2002 that he had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and had only months to live. He spent much of that time visiting with his two grown children and working on a final album.

Zevon died Sunday of lung cancer at his home, his manager Irving Azoff told the Los Angeles Times. Azoff did not return calls from The Associated Press early Monday.

Phone messages also were not returned from Zevon's publicist, Dianna Baron; Baron's assistant, Cathy Williams; and Zevon's record company manager, John Baruck.

Zevon faced death with the same dark sense of humor found in much of his music, including songs like "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead," "Life'll Kill Ya" and "Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead."

Zevon said he "chose a certain path and lived like Jim Morrison (news) and lived 30 more years. You make choices and you have to live with the consequences."

He released his first album, "Wanted — Dead or Alive," to little notice in 1969, but gained attention in the '70s by writing a string of popular songs for Linda Ronstadt (news), including "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me," "Carmelita" and "Hasten Down the Wind."

His next two albums, 1976's "Warren Zevon" and 1978's "Excitable Boy," followed those songs with darkly humorous tales of prom-date rapists; headless, gun-toting soldiers of fortune; and werewolves who drank pina coladas at singles bars and were particular about their hair.

They cemented Zevon's reputation as one of rock music's most politically incorrect lyricists, giving him a lifelong cult following that included gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura and "Late Show" host David Letterman (news - Y! TV), who provided backing vocals on "Hit Somebody," Zevon's 2001 elegy to a professional hockey goon who longs to be a goal-scoring hero.

"I always like to have violent lyrics and violent music," Zevon told The Associated Press in 1990. "The knowledge of death and fear of death informs my existence. It's a safe, kind of cheerful way of dealing with that issue."

Other admirers included Bob Dylan (news), whom Zevon cited as one of his principal songwriting influences and who performed on his 1987 album "Sentimental Hygiene." Still another was Bruce Springsteen (news), who co-wrote "Jeannie Needs a Shooter," Zevon's tale of a lover shot to death by a woman's jealous father.

Not that all of his music was dark and violent. His oveure contained some straight-out comedy as well, including "Mr. Bad Example," "The Hula Hula Boys" and "Gorilla You're a Desperado." The latter told the tale of a Los Angeles Zoo ape who escapes by locking a yuppie in his place and going off to live in the man's apartment, only to end up depressed and divorced.

His compositional style reflected a number of genres, from hard-driving rock to folk, as well as classical, polka and other influences. In his final months, he summoned the energy to complete a last album, "The Wind," released in August. It includes the poignant "Keep Me in Your Heart," a cranky "Disorder in the House" and a remake of Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door."

Zevon, born in Chicago to Russian immigrant parents, moved to Los Angeles in the 1960s, making a living writing jingles for television commercials. He also composed the song "She Quit Me Man" for the movie "Midnight Cowboy." He was just out of his teens when he went to work for the Everly Brothers, first as a pianist and later as their band leader.

09-08-03 08:23 AM
nankerphelge I heard Lawyers, Guns & Money Friday nite at happy hour and thought about ol' Warren.

Real shame - although the fucker went out with dignity and a fight!
09-08-03 08:30 AM
steel driving hammer Sad O' Day, just a Bad O' Day.
09-08-03 08:36 AM
steel driving hammer Didn't really follow his music but wasn't he born in Chicago to Russian immigrant parents? Factory Girl?
09-08-03 08:37 AM
Mother baby
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

Real shame - although the fucker went out with dignity and a fight!

Indeed he did. Say's alot about a person's charachter.
09-08-03 09:00 AM
mac_daddy RiP, Warren. Thanks for everything.
09-08-03 09:20 AM
Factory Girl RIP Warren. May the Good Lord Shine a Light on you.
09-08-03 09:49 AM
telecaster It is sad. Go to the doctor people. His dentist is the one who told him he was sick. He hadn't been to the doctor
in over 20yrs

09-08-03 10:04 AM
jb I only knew his commercial hits(Excitable Boy and Werewolf of London") but watching that special on VH1 recently and seeing how diginified he was handling his illness made me a fan ....RIP Warren and may god bless and comfort your family and fans who loved you so much.
09-08-03 12:03 PM
LadyJane I guess it is appropriate that my 1000th post is to say a fond farewell to a man who faced a horrible illness with great dignity.

RIP, Warren.

LadyJ.
09-08-03 12:05 PM
jb Congrats on 1000k Ladyjane!!!
09-08-03 12:12 PM
Joey

First Keith Moon and now Warren .

I wonder if Letterman will mention Warren's passing on his show this evening ?

I wonder how badly Stoney's Nittany Lions will get pummelled Saturday night by the Huskers ?

I wonder how many Heinekens I will have Saturday evening after the game ?

I wonder .............I drink !!!!!

I am Joey !
09-08-03 12:12 PM
LadyJane Yeah, 1000 posts in 8 months!!!

Either I have lots to say or I have no life!!!

Maybe a little of both!!!

LadyJ.
09-08-03 12:19 PM
Lazy Bones Sad, indeed. RIP, Warren!
09-08-03 12:46 PM
jb Interestingly, he was born to a russian-jewish immigrant father and Mormon mother...
09-08-03 01:11 PM
Mother baby
quote:
jb wrote:
Interestingly, he was born to a russian-jewish immigrant father and Mormon mother...

Really? Geneologies facinate me. I think they're more important than we in the West have been led to believe.
09-08-03 01:13 PM
Prodigal Son Yes, truly sad. It said he quit smoking a few years back, but in his VH1 special he was still having a few cigarettes occasionally. Not at a Keith pace, but still. When you have cancer, that can't help. But he enjoyed the rest of his life I suppose. Great guy, great songwriter and not to be forgotten soon. RIP, Warren.
09-08-03 01:36 PM
Phog I will definately miss WZ. Rest in peace and thanks for the music.
09-08-03 02:10 PM
Joey

My mother is one hundred percent Irish

My Father was seventy five percent Italian and twenty five percent Irish .

I , however , am one hundred percent Jewish ..................................and you ?

{{ Joey Kissinger }}
09-08-03 03:03 PM
stone jr. Poor Warren. He was a GREAT song writer. We will all miss him.

Warren Zevon
1947-2003
09-08-03 03:07 PM
jb I think he became a christian.
09-08-03 03:40 PM
Gazza Even knowing this was about to happen doesnt make it any less sad.

Warren at least lived longer than his initial diagnosis suggested he would. He became a grandfather to twins a few months ago and just managed to live long enough to see his new album released, which has got some of the best reviews of his career.

Saw him in concert in Belfast twice. He was always a welcome visitor here. Fantastic live performer and storyteller and a wonderful and often hilarious songwriter. It's a well worn cliche,but its true to say there really are very few like him.

I deliberately passed by Lee Ho Fuk's in London's Chinatown last week (the restaurant immortalised in "Werewolves of london") and checked out the window tribute to him. It's sort of poignant that two weeks later I'll be going back to london and he's left us in the time in between.

A class act in every way. He'll be greatly missed. RIP Warren
09-08-03 04:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey Warren, never mind that...it's just a flesh wound.

Play on.
09-08-03 04:34 PM
jb What happened to Peter Mcnaughton who played the lead in "Werewolf of london"..I believe he started out doing the Doctor Pepper commercials...
09-08-03 06:20 PM
Gazza I presume you mean David Naughton from the film "An American Werewolf In London". Try the Internet Movie Database entry:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0622544/
09-08-03 08:05 PM
mac_daddy I am pretty sure Warren was smoking the green during the special (he even said as much)...

I'd be willing to bet that Dave says stuff about Zevon tonight. Warren was on Dave's first show as a guest, and has been on the first night of every other Dave show (NBC, CBS) since...

if you are looking for an album, get Learning to Flinch. It is a great album - him playing his catalog, all solo - either on a 12 string or on a piano.

again, RiP.
09-08-03 11:03 PM
kath nuthin wrong with smokin the green when you're dying of cancer, or living with it. or pain. it's a great pain reliever and anti nausea med.

even peter jennings remembered warren in the abc news tonight. they had a nice little tribute to him on the news. peter (who IS a major stones fan) seemed deeply saddened by the news.

he was quite a brilliant songwriter. a sad day indeed.
09-08-03 11:12 PM
telecaster My first garage band played "Werewolves"

And quite well

Thanks bud
09-08-03 11:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Too bad, now just change the V.I.P, by R.I.P.

09-09-03 08:50 AM
mac_daddy letterman had some kind words last night...

I fell asleep before they rolled the music clip - what song was it?
Page: 1 2