ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Lets drink to the salt of the stage!
Ian, Bobby and Rogerriffin - Mexico City
© and special thanks to Tzonistac!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cool find...Jagger's best solo song? Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th September 2006 02:16 PM
Throwaway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiq60mvXdcI
11th September 2006 02:59 PM
Mel Belli Cool find indeed. Pales in comparison to the studio version, though. That was, and is, a stunner. Mary Chapin Carpenter cut a version of it a few years ago, and it too was great.
11th September 2006 03:01 PM
glencar Second best! Can ye find the best? (It's from the same CD)
11th September 2006 03:36 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Cool find indeed. Pales in comparison to the studio version, though. That was, and is, a stunner. Mary Chapin Carpenter cut a version of it a few years ago, and it too was great.

I'm checking it out right now! Thanks
[Edited by Throwaway]
11th September 2006 03:41 PM
Nellcote IMHO, please have a listen to Evening Gown, from WS.
This is just about as good as it gets.
Jagger does country as good as anyone in Nashville.
I took a new awareness of it when I heard Jerry Lee Lewis version on his upcoming solo lp, it is a true country classic...

WS is Jagger at his best, Don't Tear Me Up, Sweet Thing, Hang On To Me Tonight, all super. Jimmy Rip's guitar is sizziling.

There are parts of the others which are good, however, there are parts which have not aged well over time.
11th September 2006 03:46 PM
jb That's awful...really bad stuff.
11th September 2006 03:49 PM
texile good one but...
i'd vote for out of focus and don't call me up
11th September 2006 03:50 PM
Nellcote If you do not enjoy the solo stuff, how can you
call yourself a Stones fan?
I like Wyman's Willie & The Poor Boys more for the fact that it raised $$ for Ronnie Lane's MS than some of the music..
11th September 2006 03:50 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
If you do not enjoy the solo stuff, how can you
call yourself a Stones fan?
I like Wyman's Willie & The Poor Boys more for the fact that it raised $$ for Ronnie Lane's MS than some of the music..

19-17.
11th September 2006 03:58 PM
Nellcote How about the double headed threat of Maroney for two plays, Dillon for another?
And, we just unloaded contract breaker Branch for a 1st round pick for '07...
Bring It On...
11th September 2006 03:59 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
How about the double headed threat of Maroney for two plays, Dillon for another?
And, we just unloaded contract breaker Branch for a 1st round pick for '07...
Bring It On...

We are in a must win game Sunday.
11th September 2006 04:12 PM
Nellcote You will be surprised at the Jarun coached Bills.
Losman has "it", Macghee (UM Homie, no?) is poised to breakout. Saban better be ready, they are going to be good. What saved us yesterday was holding them for 2 downs @ the 7 yd line...And, of course NFL best, not Peyton Manning-Tom Brady...Don't get me started on that point either...
11th September 2006 04:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiq60mvXdcI

Always loved that song (well, the studio version). I remain utterly convinced that - when you listen to it against the background that at the time it came out it seemed the Stones were finished due to the Glimmer Twins' personal squabbles - it's written as a fond farewell to his relationship with Keith. Especially the line, "you used to love to honky tonk", amongst others.

"Kow Tow" and "Shoot off your mouth" from the same record are also written about Keith, but in a more bitter and transparent way.

11th September 2006 04:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Second best! Can ye find the best? (It's from the same CD)

If you say its "Lets Work", I am going to get on a plane in the morning, go over there and personally kick your ass!
11th September 2006 04:27 PM
luxury1 Hang on to Me Tonight is a great sing-a-along. And yeah, I agree with Nellie--Mick can do country with the best of 'em.
11th September 2006 04:31 PM
CraigP Man, he is f*cked
11th September 2006 04:35 PM
Some Guy I like that tune.
11th September 2006 06:33 PM
gimmekeef "Blue" imho is Jaggers best..and coulda been an even better Stones tune...
11th September 2006 06:47 PM
tumbling dice
I like Party Dog .Maybe it´s about his relationship with Keith,at the times i hated Primitive Cool because Mick´s became old fashion and bored and it reflects in his music.
11th September 2006 06:55 PM
PartyDoll MEG I'm kinda partial to this song....
11th September 2006 07:16 PM
texile
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
"Blue" imho is Jaggers best..and coulda been an even better Stones tune...

jagger gets slammed alot for his solo shit but among the dung (all of boss and most of primitive), there are those that stand out and qualify as great (would-be)stones songs -
most of wandering spirit and at least two songs from dogshit in the doorway are better than ANYTHING the stones have done in 20 years...
11th September 2006 07:19 PM
fireontheplatter very cool...i listen to that from time to time......
i think wandering spirit is his best solo effort.....
11th September 2006 07:28 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
IMHO, please have a listen to Evening Gown, from WS.
This is just about as good as it gets.
Jagger does country as good as anyone in Nashville.
I took a new awareness of it when I heard Jerry Lee Lewis version on his upcoming solo lp, it is a true country classic...

WS is Jagger at his best, Don't Tear Me Up, Sweet Thing, Hang On To Me Tonight, all super. Jimmy Rip's guitar is sizziling.

There are parts of the others which are good, however, there are parts which have not aged well over time.

First thing I did after watching this was to search for "Evening Gown" on YouTube! I couldn't find it, so I just may have to upload one myself. "Wandering Spirit" is an AWESOME album and "Evening Gown" is a tremendous song - shoulda been a Stones song, no doubt about it.
11th September 2006 09:27 PM
Nellcote From SNL....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0V_be2l9C9s
11th September 2006 09:32 PM
Throwaway yea, i love Dont Tear Me Up, and that live version is awesome. unfortunately Evening Gown (from LIve @ Webster Hall) isnt on youtube..I can't find any of that show on there actually. Any time i look for Jagger solo stuff on there, I'm happy when I get something other than Let's Work or She's the Boss stuff (yechhh).
11th September 2006 09:44 PM
Soldatti I really like most of Primitive Cool, except Let's Work and War Baby.
11th September 2006 10:13 PM
Poison Dart Mick has a lot of underrated solo stuff.

Here's a few

1/Party Doll
2/Evening Gown
3/Don't Tear me Up
4/Old Habbits Die Hard
5/Out of Focus
6/Throwaway
7/God Gave me Everything
8/Handsome Molly
9/Just Another Night
10/Lucky in Love
11/Kow Tow
12/Shoot Off Your Mouth
13/Hang on to me Tonight

There are quite a few more good to great solo Mick tunes.

I don't think he feels the pressure to play the role of Mick Jagger as much in his solo stuff. I think he feels he has to write tough guy stuff like "Gunface" with the Stones.

Does anyone really wnat to hear a nearly 70 year old Mick Jagger sing about "putting a gun right in your face" or talk about his "cock" in Rough Justice?

That is why Dylan has the #1 record in the US right now. He is not trying to be anything but Bob Dylan. Mick (espically w/ the Stones) feels he must play a certain part. And I think the public can see through this.

I'd be far more interested in hearing the Stones be the Stones in 2006/2007. Not what they think the public wants them to be.
11th September 2006 10:16 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Ruthless People was a good tune IMO
11th September 2006 10:19 PM
sirmoonie That is a great find, nice work Throwawayie.
11th September 2006 10:21 PM
sirmoonie Although the thought of Mick out there touring without the Stones.....something very, very wrong with that.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)