ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Đ Thomas Beyl with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Rock frontman/Showman of all time. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
1st September 2007 10:18 AM
gimmekeef Well 2-10 are debatable....Mick at #1 is not......The easy choice
1st September 2007 10:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Well 2-10 are debatable....Mick at #1 is not......The easy choice

Yes. He was able to incorporate everything (at least all the good stuff) that went on before him, along with a few moves of his contemoraries, a GREAT "back up" band, the right place at the right time, and couple dashes of David Copperfield, a truckload of luck, some minor measurementss of spices and drugs, a tad of electricty for the amps...And POOF there you have it, the "Perfect Storm", THE WORLD'S GREATEST FRONTMAN.

1st September 2007 11:02 AM
Erik_Snow
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Never heard of PiL?

Of course, but the reason Johnny is rated high in my book is not because of PiL.
The same way Jagger is great in Stones, but not with Brothers of Sodom 1988
1st September 2007 11:05 AM
guitarman53
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yes. He was able to incorporate everything (at least all the good stuff) that went on before him, along with a few moves of his contemoraries, a GREAT "back up" band, the right place at the right time, and couple dashes of David Copperfield, a truckload of luck, some minor measurementss of spices and drugs, a tad of electricty for the amps...And POOF there you have it, the "Perfect Storm", THE WORLD'S GREATEST FRONTMAN.

I get the feeling your talking about Alice Cooper.
1st September 2007 11:23 AM
Dan
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I don't consider that music in any way shape or form!

"Guitarman" or not, the definition of music doesn't depend on your opinion.
1st September 2007 11:32 AM
Dan Michael Monroe
Mick Jagger
Bruce Springsteen
Chuck D.
David Bowie
Bruce Dickinson
Larry May
Sean Wheeler
Til Lindemann
Leonard Graves Phillips
El Duce
Mike Patton when he wants to play the role
David Yow
Howlin' Pelle Almqvist
1st September 2007 01:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Never heard of PiL?

btw, my current faves....(for the moment)
Mick Jagger
Elvis Presley
James Brown
Freddie Mercury
Bob Marley
David Byrne
Axl Rose
Eddie Vedder
Robert Plant
Iggy Pop
Roger Daltrey
Johnny (Rotten) Lydon

Marley, definitely. Jesus, what a performer.
1st September 2007 01:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
Here are mine:

1. Mick Jagger
2. Elvis Presley
3. Roger Daltry
4. Bono
5. Sting
6. Rod Stewart
7. Bob Seger
8. Paul McCarthy
9. Bob Marley
10. Steven Tyler

Who's Paul McCarthy when he's at home?

The son of the late senator?
[Edited by Gazza]
1st September 2007 01:27 PM
CraigP G.G. Allin.
-End of thread-

Just kidding. Most of the performers mentioned aforehand are on my top list. Personally, I like Jagger's moves as well as JOSH TODD of Buckcherry.
1st September 2007 02:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
These are lead singers who can hold an audience in their hands.
1-Mick Jagger.
2-David Bowie.
3-Jim Morrison.
4-Janis Joplin.
5-Roger Daltery.
6-Robert Plant.
7-Iggy Pop.
8-John Lydon (Johnny Rotten)
9-Freddy Mercury.
10-Elvis Presley.

[Edited by guitarman53]

I like A LOT bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin and The doors but none of their lead singers are good "frontmen/Showmen" as the thread ak for.

For The Who the showman is Pete, Roger sings great but don't move, in the case of Led Zeppelin is the same story, Jimmy Page gets the audience attention and for the Doors is the same story, Jim was shy at the beginning, then a good showman and at the end he was drunk not moving just with standing and holding the "mike" as a hooker sucks a dick

Mick Jagger.
Jimi Hendrix
Steve Marriott.
Freddy Mercury.
Elvis Presley.
Alex Lora.
Ian Anderson.
Frank Zappa.
Patti Smith.
Wendy O. Williams.
1st September 2007 09:16 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Who's Paul McCarthy when he's at home?

The son of the late senator?
[Edited by Gazza]

Hahaha, you got me I can't spell.
1st September 2007 09:19 PM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I agree but no Bowie!

Ten or fifteen years ago I would have had him on the list. But he's kind of dropped in my eyes. Other than his great mid 1970's stuff and the Let's Dance album, what's he done? He peaked and then seems to have never matched his good stuff.
1st September 2007 09:19 PM
Spru Mick is definitely #1, but Ed Vedder has to be in the top 10. Also - Anthony Kiedis, Julian Casablancas anyone?
1st September 2007 11:29 PM
Dan
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:

Ten or fifteen years ago I would have had him on the list. But he's kind of dropped in my eyes. Other than his great mid 1970's stuff and the Let's Dance album, what's he done? He peaked and then seems to have never matched his good stuff.

As of 2004 he was still a great live performer though he seems to be in retirement now. I LOVE Heathen, Outside and Earthling while Hours and Reality are pretty decent.
2nd September 2007 11:45 AM
gimmekeef Folks?...No love for James Brown here?........Top 3 for sure I think.....
2nd September 2007 11:47 AM
lotsajizz my list has him there
2nd September 2007 11:49 AM
Glimmer Twin
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Folks?...No love for James Brown here?........Top 3 for sure I think.....

I should probably find a spot for him, but I'm not sure who I would drop.
2nd September 2007 11:52 AM
The Wick Jagger by a mile. As for the rest and in no order:

Prince
Tina Turner
Otis Redding
James Brown
Brian Johnson
Rod Stewart
Michael Jackson- not the music, just the showmanship
Elvis
Jackie Wilson
Bob Marley
Springsteen
Jimi Hendrix
3rd September 2007 08:44 AM
Lord (Hetero) PRINCE! Has anyone mentioned Prince yet?
Plant in the Zep days was a lousy showman.
Strummer for authority. Lou Reed in the 70's when he was blond. Greg Dulli, sexman. Jarvis Cocker at times. Nick Cave.
5th September 2007 08:07 PM
real wild child Jagger is the best and I think Mercury was a failed experiment...but Mick comes first,the reason why itīs very simple...Mick is a great songwriter,he can play different instruments (guitar,harmonica,keyboards)and his voice itīs almost the same on records and live on tour.Mercury was an average songwriter,Brian May was the best of them doing lyrics,he played piano...letīs say he was not a great musician...and his voice was a piece of shit live...I prefer the records and on stage he used to do the same moves over and over again and that was so boring...A frontman has to be a complete artist not only a man who runs from one side to another...
5th September 2007 08:30 PM
mojoman peter gabriel deserves a mention
5th September 2007 10:26 PM
TomL Gotta put Jagger first, but if the stones were not in the mix. BOWIE for me.
5th September 2007 11:43 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

As for Johnny Lydon, I've seen him command a hostile audience, & he's totally original,

did you see him back in 78??!! - if so, please expand .. did the filthy lucre tour do the staes in the 90's??

Jim Morrison is an overated pretentious twat (IMHMFGDO)
6th September 2007 12:37 AM
guitarman53
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

did you see him back in 78??!! - if so, please expand .. did the filthy lucre tour do the staes in the 90's??

Jim Morrison is an overated pretentious twat (IMHMFGDO)

I've seen John Lydon as a part of PIL, there was some people in the audience who expected him to be a punk band, there were some people who were spitting on him, he made a public warning, that if you do that one more time, I'll turn the water hose on you.
6th September 2007 12:55 AM
stonedinaustralia thanks - i saw PIL too - must have been about '84 - i was thinking you were going to tell me you saw the san antonio or winterland pistol's gigs

i decided to pass on the filthy lucre tour - a decision i now regret - i thought they would be a boring old version of their fomer selfs but the tapes i have since heard indicated they rocked

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
6th September 2007 04:07 AM
speedfreakjive undeniably Mick Jagger
6th September 2007 05:49 AM
Jumping Jack Coop belongs on the list. No one sits at his shows and even Mick can't claim that.
6th September 2007 08:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels What about Sabbath era Ozzie?
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)