ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: stones have trouble getting single played Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 8th, 2005 05:26 PM
chevysales
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

so when it's about muslims, isreal or whatever it's allowed in every single thread on the board, and now it's not?

poor excuse.

make a seperate thread if you feel you like to voice your displeasure with america/uk/muslims/isreal, whatever... not in one about singles airplay.
September 8th, 2005 05:37 PM
Some Guy Growing up with the Stones I never thought I'd read an article like that. I guess we're all getting old?
September 8th, 2005 05:46 PM
Bloozehound face the facts

the Rolling Stones are totally out of style to the under 30 somethings demographic that makes the bulk of most music purchases

If I wasn't a lifelong fan I'd of probably not givin 2 shits about this new album either
September 8th, 2005 06:40 PM
the good
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

so when it's about muslims, isreal or whatever it's allowed in every single thread on the board, and now it's not?

I don't want to be mean, but it is a strange and perverse mind that associates the frequency with which a song about relationships is played to the controversy regarding our response to a hurricane. There is NO plausible connection, and the attempt to form one reveals a pathological strain of Anti Americanism. Let me ask you something, moonisup, do you have hurricanes in your country? Do you have any idea what a category 4 hurricane can do, especially if it strikes a major city? No you don't, because where you live there is no such thing as extreme weather. You know, its very interesting. I recall that thousands of people died in Europe a couple of years ago from a HEAT WAVE. A HEAT WAVE!!! And I don't remember people in America taking cheap shots at European countries by saying this reflects poorly upon their societies as a whole. But then again, you guys probably played the latest Stones song more than we did at the time, so I guess I should just shut up.
September 8th, 2005 06:51 PM
Moonisup
quote:
the good wrote:

so I guess I should just shut up.

it was just a cynical joke, there are a few who understand it. But some peepz over here can't take one. They can say, yeah fuck the muslims etc.
Someone over here said something about the Tsunami when it hit that is just was a muslim country. Oh just kill the muslims, and all that shit. And with most threads about hate, and fuck this, fuck that, I was just thinking: Let's turn it around, let's make a (pretty sick, yeah I know it's sick) joke about this. and see: no one can take it That says nothing about me, but just a little bit more about you all, you just can't imagine a different world outside your own little circle. there are lots of examples wich I won't post here cos this ain't a political board, but your reaction on me, well, I don't care.
Where were you when they said this about the Tsunami? The people in Darfur?

Rik
September 8th, 2005 06:54 PM
Ihavelotsajam "the Rolling Stones are totally out of style to the under 30 somethings demographic that makes the bulk of most music purchases

If I wasn't a lifelong fan I'd of probably not givin 2 shits about this new album either"

I wasnt gonna get into this, being new and all, but, oh please! Give some credit to the under 30 crowd. Age doesnt make you have bad taste in music. Im 24 and most stones fans i know are no older than me. Trouble is, most artist I listen to dont even sell 160,000 albums in *all*, let alone the first week. You should stop worrying about sales, seriously. Artists that sell a lot of albums sell them to casual fans, who buy 2 or 3 records a year. THose casual fans also bought Fourty Licks. Your statement should read "Stones are totally out of style to the demographic who cares only about style and whats on charts".

On the other hand, most people who are diehard fans of music, and who *devour* music, either buy CDs of artists who are generally unknown in the mainstream, or they download (because given the amount of music they listen to, they'd go broke before they buy a third of all the music they want). I mean, I love the Kings of Leon and The Mars Volta, but how many CDs have they sold? Right... and I dont care either.

In any case, I think epople here are overly negative. It doesnt matter if the Stones' last album sells or not. Second-guessing your taste or "sanity" (like the JB guy) is also way too dramatic. We're living in a time where everything is so extremely subjective, yet the Stones are one of the few almost universally-lauded bands ever. That's as objectively "good" as you're ever gonna get. I love a bunch of artists that I know will never see the light of day sales-wise or acclaim-wise, because they are just too obscure. That can hurt, sure. But with STONES, for chrissakes, I repeat, it really doesnt matter if ABB sells or not.

September 8th, 2005 06:59 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
Total humiliation...............

Fox News is a bust!
September 8th, 2005 07:05 PM
texile heritage rock?
it even sounds like a senior citizen's apartment complex.
September 8th, 2005 07:30 PM
Some Guy
quote:
texile wrote:
heritage rock?
it even sounds like a senior citizen's apartment complex.

Yeah I thought that was funny! We are all a bunch of Heritage Rockers!
September 8th, 2005 08:37 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yes, but it's hype aimed at an older demographic that simply doesn't buy records like they used to. And when they do, it's Norah Jones and Rod Stewart singing standards.

Kids don't read newspapers anymore. So - boom - the exposure from print reviews is virtually useless.

Much of the hype is for the tour, which seems to be selling well to me, though I don't have access to your "sources."

Let's face it: Most of the world considers the Stones a nostalgia act. I - and about 150k others - don't think that's true, which is why we're the only ones buying the new CD.

Mel that is spot on analysis my friend. Working in radio I can tell you that it is very hard to get kids to listen to a band that they consider their parents music. When complete rubbish like Greenday are considered hip by today's youth market it's very hard to sell the Stones. This is the corner that the Stones have painted themselves into by,in Pete Townshend's words,"not growing up gracefully".

The fact is that rock and roll,or what is left of it,is a young man's game. I am personally happy that the Stones are still out there doing it by their own rules,and not falling into the middle-of-the-road/adult contemporary shit trap that Rod Stewart,Clapton,and others have trode down. So while some may bitch about the later day Stones' record success,I choose to think differently about it all. The way I see it the Stones are constantly pushing the limits of just what they can do,while not compromising their music for the sake of growing up. I like that attitude.

The Stones still consistantly put more asses in the seats than any band out there. Regardless of what Josh may say the facts are simple. A Rolling Stones' concert is still considered an event as much as it is a concert. They consistanly bring stadiums of people to their collective feet,and I know of no other band that can do that. Jagger maybe 62 years old,but he works an audience better than any other performer out there. The funny thing is that nobody else is even close to Jagger in this ability. Keith Richards may be an older arthritis wrecked image of his former self,but he still commands cool like no other. Again,nobody is even in the same league as Keith on this score. Nobody,nada,zippo! Keef owns cool! He always has. It's his image that young guitar players have been copying for years now. Yet,he is the originator,and cannot be duplicated. It's ironic that Chaz has always had this very non-rock star quality about himself that has managed to make him one of the coolest rockstars ever! Not to mention that he is "the only white drummer with swing" according to Keith. The greatest timekeeper in the history of rock nad roll,and he reeks rockstar class all the while remaining aloof.

Peter Tosh once sang,"You don't miss the water till the well runs dry". How true is that? Some here can bitch and moan all they want about lackluster album sales,lame assed tunes,high ticket prices,and on,and on,and on. At the end of their very long ride though the Stones will be missed by everyone,and they will be hailed as the greatest rock and roll band ever,and though we may already know this to be true,many will be missing the Stonsian water supply!

It's starting to wind down folks. Find other things to bitch about. The Stones have already given us forty three years of rock and roll bliss,and no other band will ever be able to say that again. Not one.

"So I'm gonna get my kicks in before the whole shithouse goes up in flames!"-Jim Morrison

Riffhard
September 8th, 2005 08:45 PM
exile
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
In any case, I think epople here are overly negative. It doesnt matter if the Stones' last album sells or not... We're living in a time where everything is so extremely subjective, yet the Stones are one of the few almost universally-lauded bands ever. That's as objectively "good" as you're ever gonna get...it really doesnt matter if ABB sells or not.

Some nice thoughts there
welcome
September 8th, 2005 08:48 PM
the good
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

it was just a cynical joke, there are a few who understand it. But some peepz over here can't take one. They can say, yeah fuck the muslims etc.
Someone over here said something about the Tsunami when it hit that is just was a muslim country. Oh just kill the muslims, and all that shit. And with most threads about hate, and fuck this, fuck that, I was just thinking: Let's turn it around, let's make a (pretty sick, yeah I know it's sick) joke about this. and see: no one can take it That says nothing about me, but just a little bit more about you all, you just can't imagine a different world outside your own little circle. there are lots of examples wich I won't post here cos this ain't a political board, but your reaction on me, well, I don't care.
Where were you when they said this about the Tsunami? The people in Darfur?

Rik

Nice try.
September 8th, 2005 09:13 PM
glencar I'm trying to recall who on this board said that it was just a Muslim country when the tsunami hit. Were they a regular poster & was this really your reason or sort of an afterthought? I used to respect your posts even if they were a bit infatuated with Chuck Leavell. Please don't turn out to be an asshole.
September 8th, 2005 09:21 PM
Riffhard I will not defend Rik for his post because,frankly,it was assinine,and historicaly very shortsighted considering what the USA has done for Europe,but I will say that I think most peope in Europe,and the rest of the world,have absolutly no clue as to the amount of devastation Katrina has caused.

A major US city,and the largest seaport in the United States has just been obliterated Rik. Tens of thousands are dead. In the 200 plus year history of our nation nothing of this magnitude has ever happened. Many here are,rightfully,very sensitive about it.

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
September 8th, 2005 09:25 PM
gotdablouse The only problem with low sales of ABB is that it will not encourage Mick to make another one anytime soon. What would be really be nice is if they gave us a new one NEXT year without saying they would and didn't in 1994, and 2002. It seems all these songs were written so effortelessly at least by Mick, he's got another in him.
September 8th, 2005 10:05 PM
chevysales
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Mel that is spot on analysis my friend. Working in radio I can tell you that it is very hard to get kids to listen to a band that they consider their parents music. When complete rubbish like Greenday are considered hip by today's youth market it's very hard to sell the Stones. This is the corner that the Stones have painted themselves into by,in Pete Townshend's words,"not growing up gracefully".

The fact is that rock and roll,or what is left of it,is a young man's game. I am personally happy that the Stones are still out there doing it by their own rules,and not falling into the middle-of-the-road/adult contemporary shit trap that Rod Stewart,Clapton,and others have trode down. So while some may bitch about the later day Stones' record success,I choose to think differently about it all. The way I see it the Stones are constantly pushing the limits of just what they can do,while not compromising their music for the sake of growing up. I like that attitude.

The Stones still consistantly put more asses in the seats than any band out there. Regardless of what Josh may say the facts are simple. A Rolling Stones' concert is still considered an event as much as it is a concert. They consistanly bring stadiums of people to their collective feet,and I know of no other band that can do that. Jagger maybe 62 years old,but he works an audience better than any other performer out there. The funny thing is that nobody else is even close to Jagger in this ability. Keith Richards may be an older arthritis wrecked image of his former self,but he still commands cool like no other. Again,nobody is even in the same league as Keith on this score. Nobody,nada,zippo! Keef owns cool! He always has. It's his image that young guitar players have been copying for years now. Yet,he is the originator,and cannot be duplicated. It's ironic that Chaz has always had this very non-rock star quality about himself that has managed to make him one of the coolest rockstars ever! Not to mention that he is "the only white drummer with swing" according to Keith. The greatest timekeeper in the history of rock nad roll,and he reeks rockstar class all the while remaining aloof.

Peter Tosh once sang,"You don't miss the water till the well runs dry". How true is that? Some here can bitch and moan all they want about lackluster album sales,lame assed tunes,high ticket prices,and on,and on,and on. At the end of their very long ride though the Stones will be missed by everyone,and they will be hailed as the greatest rock and roll band ever,and though we may already know this to be true,many will be missing the Stonsian water supply!

It's starting to wind down folks. Find other things to bitch about. The Stones have already given us forty three years of rock and roll bliss,and no other band will ever be able to say that again. Not one.

"So I'm gonna get my kicks in before the whole shithouse goes up in flames!"-Jim Morrison

Riffhard

now that is very well put.
September 8th, 2005 10:08 PM
White House Lawn This just in: The bust is a bust!
September 9th, 2005 08:47 AM
Moonisup my try was a good one, only I don't have a double standard,
but don't thank me, thanks Sri Lanka for the help
and we don't have hurricanes, but we do have trouble with water (sometimes) because the biggest part of our country is below sea level, and we don't need a hurricane to get floods
September 9th, 2005 11:45 AM
jb
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
The only problem with low sales of ABB is that it will not encourage Mick to make another one anytime soon. What would be really be nice is if they gave us a new one NEXT year without saying they would and didn't in 1994, and 2002. It seems all these songs were written so effortelessly at least by Mick, he's got another in him.

Exactly....the low sales is what probably caused the last 8 yr wait..and they don't have 8 more yrs....
September 9th, 2005 12:20 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:

Exactly....the low sales is what probably caused the last 8 yr wait..and they don't have 8 more yrs....

joshy, good news

ABB is # 1 in holland
SOL in # 9, weak sales
September 9th, 2005 01:18 PM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

joshy, good news

ABB is # 1 in holland
SOL in # 9, weak sales

Thanks Rik,...I still don't understand why people take a message board so seriously.......You are smart to have pulled back a little as I did.....sometimes people's emotions get the best of them and they can't seperate reality from fiction....
September 9th, 2005 01:31 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
chevysales wrote:

now that is very well put.

I loved the Lizard King quote to sum up...
September 9th, 2005 02:33 PM
Jair The fact is the Americans are giving to the Stones the payback for Sweet Neocon.

What hell Mick had in mind when wrote that shit?
IF at least was a good song

I think it was America that made Stones the greatest, and now can made their ruin. Or am I being too tragic?

Anyway, lets see what happens next.
September 9th, 2005 02:36 PM
jb It was an incredibly stupid move....a turn off for most of this republican controlled country...Fox news jumped on it early, and the casual fans were turned off..and as you say, the song sucks......They are lucky they are doing as well as they are attendance wise..the album will not sell over a million copies in the US................................
September 9th, 2005 03:11 PM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
the good wrote:

Let me ask you something, moonisup, do you have hurricanes in your country? Do you have any idea what a category 4 hurricane can do, especially if it strikes a major city? No you don't, because where you live there is no such thing as extreme weather.

Careful... Much of Holland is situated below sea level and in 1953 their dyke/levee system was breached by a storm surge from the North Sea that resulted in catastrophic flooding. The official death toll in Holland was 1,835.
September 9th, 2005 03:38 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm trying to recall who on this board said that it was just a Muslim country when the tsunami hit.

jeez it sure sounds like YOU
September 9th, 2005 04:10 PM
the good
quote:
Mr Jimmy wrote:

Careful... Much of Holland is situated below sea level and in 1953 their dyke/levee system was breached by a storm surge from the North Sea that resulted in catastrophic flooding. The official death toll in Holland was 1,835.

Well, this just shows how they can't take care of their own people in Holland. If they really did care, that wouldn't have happened. They sould all be ashamed of themselves. But I guess we really couldn't have expected anything different from that kind of a place.
September 9th, 2005 09:03 PM
texile
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Riffhard

some sad truths that we, as stones fans.....should at least be honest about; very good post riff.....
September 9th, 2005 10:14 PM
Riffhard
quote:
texile wrote:

some sad truths that we, as stones fans.....should at least be honest about; very good post riff.....

Thanks textile,and chevysales. I just think that it's important to remember that we're in a finite situation here with the Stones. Keith may say that "you got the sun,the moon,the stars,and the Rolling Stones",but the fact is that those heavenly bodies will be burning bright long after the Stones light goes out. So it's best to enjoy the sheer longevity that they have provided us with while they are still burning. God knows how much it would suck to be a big Floyd,Zeppelin,Kinks,Beatles,or even Who fanatic these days. Our band is still doing it,and that makes me smile through all the bullshit that we too often bitch and moan about.

Riffhard
September 9th, 2005 10:57 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm trying to recall who on this board said that it was just a Muslim country when the tsunami hit. Were they a regular poster & was this really your reason or sort of an afterthought?

I remember someone saying something to that affect although they'll remain nameless. However, the person concerned wasnt an American...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)