ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Parmy
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL - 10th September 2005
© 2005 Parmeda, thansk a lot
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: stones have trouble getting single played Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 8th, 2005 10:26 AM
Lethargy Article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168754,00.html#2
September 8th, 2005 10:28 AM
jb Total humiliation...............
September 8th, 2005 10:30 AM
Jumacfly this article smells revenge after the neocon polemic...
September 8th, 2005 10:32 AM
Mel Belli That's a fair article and, I think, a pretty solid analysis of why the Stones are having trouble selling "Bang."
September 8th, 2005 10:33 AM
jb We are no longer capable of even selling 500k units.....which would be Gold here in the States. Maybe tonights "taped" segement from Detroit on NFL will help sell a few more.
[Edited by jb]
September 8th, 2005 10:33 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:
Total humiliation...............

Christ, mon, get a grip. Didn't you read the bit about "the Stones are out there on their own"? ... There's no "rival" out there humiliating them. It's just a case of a youth-dominated market.
September 8th, 2005 10:35 AM
jb
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Christ, mon, get a grip. Didn't you read the bit about "the Stones are out there on their own"? ... There's no "rival" out there humiliating them. It's just a case of a youth-dominated market.

With all the commercials, hype, great reviews, etc, it is still shocking.
September 8th, 2005 10:36 AM
Moonisup do you all take that serious, from a country that can't offer proper help to their own people?
Come on guys
September 8th, 2005 10:39 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
do you all take that serious, from a country that can't offer proper help to their own people?
Come on guys

correct.
September 8th, 2005 10:44 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:

With all the commercials, hype, great reviews, etc, it is still shocking.

Yes, but it's hype aimed at an older demographic that simply doesn't buy records like they used to. And when they do, it's Norah Jones and Rod Stewart singing standards.

Kids don't read newspapers anymore. So - boom - the exposure from print reviews is virtually useless.

Much of the hype is for the tour, which seems to be selling well to me, though I don't have access to your "sources."

Let's face it: Most of the world considers the Stones a nostalgia act. I - and about 150k others - don't think that's true, which is why we're the only ones buying the new CD.
September 8th, 2005 10:44 AM
gimmekeef They should have released Driving Too Fast as the single...Its got that feel....Eveyone I've played it for says it rocks.Sounds like the Stones....Get it out there NOW!
September 8th, 2005 10:51 AM
jb
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Yes, but it's hype aimed at an older demographic that simply doesn't buy records like they used to. And when they do, it's Norah Jones and Rod Stewart singing standards.

Kids don't read newspapers anymore. So - boom - the exposure from print reviews is virtually useless.

Much of the hype is for the tour, which seems to be selling well to me, though I don't have access to your "sources."

Let's face it: Most of the world considers the Stones a nostalgia act. I - and about 150k others - don't think that's true, which is why we're the only ones buying the new CD.

Thanks to corporate sponsorship and last minute "buy outs", the venues have filled up ....even detroit had around 38k......some venues are still weak, but will probably be close to full come show time.
As far as demographics, you are correct...it is a teen oriented market...but if they had a hit, say like SMU in 81, it would be played everywhere and sales would increase. I know they are no longer a singles oriented band, but if they had any hope of this thing going big, a commercially viable single was a must.........unless they thought SOL was that????
September 8th, 2005 11:28 AM
The Wick We should all admit that the publicity for the album has been inept. Everything has been so shockingly timed that nothing is being heard. These things have to be well synchronized for it to have any effect. The video should have come out simultaneous to the single. No worthwile interviews (fucking Extra is just about as low as possible), the Rolling Stone article is coming out well over a month after Streets of Shite was released, and the choice of SOL for the single was a disaster for the American market. They had enough press support lauding the album, and could have made a big splash with this, but it ends up with lame exposure.
September 8th, 2005 11:30 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks to corporate sponsorship and last minute "buy outs", the venues have filled up ....even detroit had around 38k......some venues are still weak, but will probably be close to full come show time.
As far as demographics, you are correct...it is a teen oriented market...but if they had a hit, say like SMU in 81, it would be played everywhere and sales would increase. I know they are no longer a singles oriented band, but if they had any hope of this thing going big, a commercially viable single was a must.........unless they thought SOL was that????

If there's anything instructive about all this, it's that the Stones are working at cross purposes. If they want to make it on the radio, they need to appeal to young fans. What better way to sell kids on the greatness of the Stones than to have them to come to one of the shows? But that's not gonna happen. Hmmm. Wonder why. Could it have something to do with ticket prices?
September 8th, 2005 11:34 AM
jb
quote:
The Wick wrote:
We should all admit that the publicity for the album has been inept. Everything has been so shockingly timed that nothing is being heard. These things have to be well synchronized for it to have any effect. The video should have come out simultaneous to the single. No worthwile interviews (fucking Extra is just about as low as possible), the Rolling Stone article is coming out well over a month after Streets of Shite was released, and the choice of SOL for the single was a disaster for the American market. They had enough press support lauding the album, and could have made a big splash with this, but it ends up with lame exposure.

Timing was very poor and a lot of confusion this time....I have to agree with you...I will be the first to say the concert was incredible, and Keith and Ronnie sounded great, but the album is very disappointing as well as the poor choice of having the worst song released as a single.
September 8th, 2005 11:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Who cares what the "unwashed masses" think?
September 8th, 2005 12:17 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Who cares what the "unwashed masses" think?

For some reason, I do. I guess it hurts to think that your band is the greatest thing since sliced bread and most people are indifferent....It makes you question whether they really are as great as we think.............................are we the weird ones?
September 8th, 2005 12:28 PM
glencar
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
do you all take that serious, from a country that can't offer proper help to their own people?
Come on guys

You TRYING to piss me off? After all we've done over there & there & there, you should be ashamed.
September 8th, 2005 12:31 PM
KeepRigid The fact that the number 1 single right now is a cover of Roxette says it all.

Jesus Christ.
September 8th, 2005 12:31 PM
Scottfree
quote:
jb wrote:

For some reason, I do. I guess it hurts to think that your band is the greatest thing since sliced bread and most people are indifferent....It makes you question whether they really are as great as we think.............................are we the weird ones?

I'm with you on this, perhaps we are the weird ones, but I always write it off as people just have horrible taste....
September 8th, 2005 12:46 PM
the good
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
Come on guys

This is one of the most absurd comments I have ever read on this board.
September 8th, 2005 01:07 PM
chevysales
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
Come on guys

get real!

pure nonsense why even post a ridiculous statement like that?

maybe you should worry about where your from?
[Edited by chevysales]
September 8th, 2005 01:21 PM
Soldatti Billboard charts this week:

The Billboard 200 - Jump Back - #136 (7,200 copies)
Pop Catalog Albums - Forty Licks - #33 (4,000 copies)
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Rough Justice - #29
September 8th, 2005 02:42 PM
lucasd4 [quote]jb wrote:
We are no longer capable of even selling 500k units.....which would be Gold here in the States. Maybe tonights "taped" segement from Detroit on NFL will help sell a few more.

More stupid negativity from JB....this album will sell around 200K from first week sales alone in the US....it's on the same pace as VL and B2B...both sold around 150K the first week of release.... and they both sold over 1 million in the following months,according to SoundScan...ABB will sell at least 1 million by the Holidays...the tour will guarantee sustained sales for the next several months...nobody else can sell this many records after 40 years...and for the record, the only studio albums to sell more than 2 million copies during their initial release were SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU...STEEL WHEELS AND VOODOO LOUNGE had shipments in excess of 2 million, but actual sales were just below that...
September 8th, 2005 03:37 PM
Moonisup
quote:
the good wrote:

This is one of the most absurd comments I have ever read on this board.

do you really read the board then? I've seen worse and more offending then this one. Only, this time it's about americans, and now it hurts you, and not someone else
That's all.
September 8th, 2005 03:40 PM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

do you really read the board then? I've seen worse and more offending then this one. Only, this time it's about americans, and now it hurts you, and not someone else
That's all.

Rik is a great friend..........what;s all the hoopla about?
September 8th, 2005 04:18 PM
chevysales
quote:
jb wrote:

Rik is a great friend..........what;s all the hoopla about?

stupid comments that have no place in a thread about album sales.
September 8th, 2005 04:32 PM
Angiegirl The single is a bust.
September 8th, 2005 04:41 PM
jb
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
The single is a bust.

It kinda of is...SOL and RJ both did not connect with the mainstream audience...I think even ABSMB was more commercially viable.
September 8th, 2005 04:50 PM
Moonisup
quote:
chevysales wrote:

stupid comments that have no place in a thread about album sales.

so when it's about muslims, isreal or whatever it's allowed in every single thread on the board, and now it's not?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)