ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour!
Bradley Center, Milwaukee - 8th September 2005
© 2005 Tom Lynn with special thanks to Montana!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sweet Neocon Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 5th, 2005 04:43 PM
the good Come on, my fellow right wing, arrogant, close-minded, imperialist American Neoconservatives! You have to admitt you are starting to dig this song! Its funky. The hell with Bush and his big oil fascists!
September 5th, 2005 04:56 PM
Thing One This song sux. One of the worst on the record.
September 5th, 2005 04:59 PM
pdog
quote:
the good wrote:
Come on, my fellow right wing, arrogant, close-minded, imperialist American Neoconservatives! You have to admitt you are starting to dig this song! Its funky. The hell with Bush and his big oil fascists!

You get more flies with honey, than with vinegar!
Embrace your neighbors with a hello pie, not a turd on the door step.
There's a few who liked this song right away too! And they love Shrub!
September 5th, 2005 05:00 PM
Angiegirl Oh joy, another SNC thread after the previous 20 from last month finally disappeared into the archives .
September 5th, 2005 05:01 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Oh joy, another SNC thread after the previous 20 from last month finally disappeared into the archives .

YOU added to it!

September 5th, 2005 05:02 PM
Angiegirl Couldn't resist
September 5th, 2005 06:46 PM
the good
quote:
pdog wrote:

You get more flies with honey, than with vinegar!
Embrace your neighbors with a hello pie, not a turd on the door step.
There's a few who liked this song right away too! And they love Shrub!

I don't know pdog. I think I'd like to give some of my neighboors a turd on the doorstep. Should I leave a copy of Goddess in the Doorway there?
September 6th, 2005 07:47 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
the good wrote:
Come on, my fellow right wing, arrogant, close-minded, imperialist American Neoconservatives! You have to admitt you are starting to dig this song! Its funky. The hell with Bush and his big oil fascists!

Bush ain't no neocon. He's just a con. I wouldn't buy a used car from him.
September 6th, 2005 07:55 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Musically. Neo con is a weak song on that album
September 6th, 2005 08:04 AM
egon it's the chorus that seems to kill it somewhat for me.
(lyric wise have no opinion though)
September 6th, 2005 08:17 AM
glencar I kinda like it. I have to hear it on CD though.
September 6th, 2005 08:19 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I would have thought that Mick Jagger would write the lyrics so that they could have a double meaning. I had not heard neocon until yesterday and I was suprised at just how blatantly political it is. I never thought I would hear a song so politically motivated from the Stones.

Let me guess.
Keith said, "You can have neocon on the album if I can have two tracks"
September 6th, 2005 08:23 AM
glencar Yabbut last time he got 3 tracks w/o the political crap!
September 6th, 2005 08:33 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I never thought I would hear a song so politically motivated from the Stones.

Pray tell the subject matter of 'Sweet Black Angel' or 'Street Fighting Man'.

September 6th, 2005 08:53 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Yeah, but they could be seen as a lot more subtle than neocon
September 6th, 2005 08:57 AM
glencar SFM is about opting out of politics.
September 6th, 2005 09:05 AM
Mathijs Together with Streets of Love Sweet NC is the worst track on the album. I find it strange that Neocon gets so much attention: the lyrics are childish, badly written and sound a bit out of date. You'd expect Dangerous Beauty to get much more attention since it's about Lindsey England AND since it's a much, much better song.

Mathijs
September 6th, 2005 09:16 AM
wisertime One of my favorites of the disc with Laugh I nearly died.
It's funky and agressive as I like.
I don't understand why some fans don't like it, for me it's far better than Rough Justice.
September 6th, 2005 09:28 AM
glencar Can one like both songs?
September 6th, 2005 09:39 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Yeah, but they could be seen as a lot more subtle than neocon

Sweet Black Angel?!? subtle?!? pray tell the lyrics...
September 6th, 2005 10:14 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Ok I will give you that one, but essentialy we are talking about 3 songs out of thousands here
September 6th, 2005 10:16 AM
exile
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
You'd expect Dangerous Beauty to get much more attention since it's about Lindsey England AND since it's a much, much better song.

I don't think the majority of the press picked up on this though, a bit more hidden.
September 6th, 2005 01:22 PM
the good
quote:
exile wrote:

I don't think the majority of the press picked up on this though, a bit more hidden.

Could that fact that beauty and Lindsy England have no business being in the same sentence have anything to do with it?
September 6th, 2005 01:24 PM
glencar She's ugly inside & out!
September 6th, 2005 02:52 PM
caro
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Sweet Black Angel?!? subtle?!? pray tell the lyrics...

I don't know, I don't necessarily find it subtle, but aren't the lyrics a bit wicked? I've often thought that those naive lyrics were meant to get on people's nerves. I don't know much about Angela Davis, but it seems to me like she would be pissed off to be called a "sweet black angel", it sounds a bit too sweet and harmless for an intellectual & politically engaged woman like her. Even if the song certainly shows her in a positive light, it always sounds to me like they inserted a bit of misogyny on purpose.
September 6th, 2005 03:19 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
SFM is about opting out of politics.

Killing the kings isn't opting out, in the old days when you killed a king you usually took over...
September 6th, 2005 06:07 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
caro wrote:

I don't know, I don't necessarily find it subtle, but aren't the lyrics a bit wicked? I've often thought that those naive lyrics were meant to get on people's nerves. I don't know much about Angela Davis, but it seems to me like she would be pissed off to be called a "sweet black angel", it sounds a bit too sweet and harmless for an intellectual & politically engaged woman like her. Even if the song certainly shows her in a positive light, it always sounds to me like they inserted a bit of misogyny on purpose.

she had a judge killed as part of a loony leftist plot...the lyrics tell a very one-sided tale
September 6th, 2005 08:17 PM
Soldatti SNO is the weakest track on the record, but is not so bad.
September 6th, 2005 08:36 PM
monkey_man I like the sentiment of the lyrics but they are overly simple and sound like they could have been written by a 13 year old during homeroom. The music is very disappointing. . . whoever produced the song should be flogged.
September 6th, 2005 08:59 PM
Riffhard Shite period. The controversey is nothing more than a tempest in a teapot,and I'm sure that is exactly what Jagger was hoping for. It got their names in the papers for some Stonsian type controversy,but the song is just so lame. Banal lyrics that seem to be nothing more than preaching to the choir. The lyrics will change nobody's mind about anything regardless of their politics. I don't dislike the song because of it's politics. I don't like the song because it sucks,plain and simple.

Riffhard
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)