ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

The European leg is over - thanks a lot!
© Wenn Photos with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Sgt. Pepper' voted Britain's favourite number one album Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th August 2006 04:09 PM
Gimme Shelter 'Sgt. Pepper' voted Britain's favourite number one album 2 hours, 55 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) - The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was voted Britain's favourite chart-topping album.

The British foursome's 1967 album edged out US singer Michael Jackson's "Thriller" by just 201 votes in the BBC's Radio Two Music Club Top 100 Albums chart.

More than 220,000 people voted in the nation-wide survey designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the official British album charts.

U2's "Joshua Tree" came in third ahead of "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

The Beatles had four albums in the top 10 and a fifth at number 11.

In a seperate poll, of the albums that failed to reach the number one spot, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" came out top with "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars" by David Bowie as number two.

There have been 787 number one albums -- Snow Patrol's "Eyes Open" became the latest Sunday -- since the Official Album Chart started in 1956.

BBC radio presenter Simon Mayo said: "It is a very impressive list and no surprise at all that Sgt. Pepper is at the top.

"It revolutionised music and what we expect from an album. A fine choice indeed."

Top 10:

1 "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967) -- Beatles

2 "Thriller" (1982) -- Michael Jackson

3 "The Joshua Tree" (1987) -- U2

4 "Rumours" (1977) -- Fleetwood Mac

5 "Wish You Were Here" (1975) -- Pink Floyd

6 "Revolver" (1966) -- Beatles

7 "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (1970) -- Simon and Garfunkel

8 "Abbey Road" (1969) -- Beatles

9 "A Night At The Opera" (1975) -- Queen

10 "The Beatles" (1968) -- Beatles

29th August 2006 04:57 PM
dirtyden fuck the beatles.glentoran and celtic
29th August 2006 05:03 PM
Black and Blue Just so yah know this has already been posted:

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/230789-1.html
29th August 2006 05:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
dirtyden wrote:
fuck the beatles.glentoran and celtic

LOLOL....especially the middle one.
30th August 2006 12:05 AM
aladdinstory most overrated album of all time...and i like the beatles, but i don't even think sgt pepper is the best beatles, to me, at least, i'll rank revolver ahead of it, probably white album as well.
30th August 2006 12:10 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
'Sgt. Pepper' voted Britain's favourite number one album 2 hours, 55 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) - The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was voted Britain's favourite chart-topping album.

The British foursome's 1967 album edged out US singer Michael Jackson's "Thriller" by just 201 votes in the BBC's Radio Two Music Club Top 100 Albums chart.

More than 220,000 people voted in the nation-wide survey designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the official British album charts.

U2's "Joshua Tree" came in third ahead of "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

The Beatles had four albums in the top 10 and a fifth at number 11.

In a seperate poll, of the albums that failed to reach the number one spot, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" came out top with "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars" by David Bowie as number two.

There have been 787 number one albums -- Snow Patrol's "Eyes Open" became the latest Sunday -- since the Official Album Chart started in 1956.

BBC radio presenter Simon Mayo said: "It is a very impressive list and no surprise at all that Sgt. Pepper is at the top.

"It revolutionised music and what we expect from an album. A fine choice indeed."

Top 10:

1 "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967) -- Beatles

2 "Thriller" (1982) -- Michael Jackson

3 "The Joshua Tree" (1987) -- U2

4 "Rumours" (1977) -- Fleetwood Mac

5 "Wish You Were Here" (1975) -- Pink Floyd

6 "Revolver" (1966) -- Beatles

7 "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (1970) -- Simon and Garfunkel

8 "Abbey Road" (1969) -- Beatles

9 "A Night At The Opera" (1975) -- Queen

10 "The Beatles" (1968) -- Beatles

no Kinks? no Stones? no Clash?? Joshua Tree #3???

nothing post-1987 either. a very odd list.
31st August 2006 06:30 AM
corgi37 No wonder the pasty faced fops lost the empire.
31st August 2006 09:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels People are just responding to the hype of what they've read over the years. Just a regurgitaion of "conventional wisdom". It's the process of how all myths start...no?
31st August 2006 09:25 AM
Gazza >More than 220,000 people voted in the nation-wide survey designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the official British album charts.

Did they survey anyone under 50?

31st August 2006 09:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Did they survey anyone under 50?

Bah! What the fuck do they know? Still wet behind the years. They need the wisdom of the tribal elders.
31st August 2006 09:33 AM
jb Another reflection of how beloved the Rolling Stones are in their native land.....really pathetic that the Beatles, who music is so much pop, are still viewd so highly, while the Stones, who made the best rock albums of our generation, are thought of as has-beens whose contributions are alwasy minimized.
31st August 2006 09:35 AM
Gazza 5 stadium shows...220,000 tickets..98% sell out

how's ticket sales doin over in Florida? Oh wait....
31st August 2006 09:35 AM
Joey
quote:
aladdinstory wrote:
most overrated album of all time...and i like the beatles, but i don't even think sgt pepper is the best beatles, to me, at least, i'll rank revolver ahead of it, probably white album as well.

Amen !!!

Revolver is simply the BEST . Period .

" There . The Joey has spoken Ronnie ! "

Joeykins
31st August 2006 09:39 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
5 stadium shows...220,000 tickets..98% sell out

how's ticket sales doin over in Florida? Oh wait....

I like the 98% sold figure..very Cohlesque
[Edited by jb]
31st August 2006 09:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Bah! What the fuck do they know? Still wet behind the years. They need the wisdom of the tribal elders.

Usually thats slightly accurate (well, as far as under 35's go anyway). This poll strikes me as it was conducted amongst people who still are unaware that theres such a thing as a CD player.
31st August 2006 09:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

I like the 98% sold figure..very Cohlesque

I have been reduced to a parody!
31st August 2006 09:41 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I have been reduced to a parody!

I was happy to hear that contrary to the tabloids, most venues were filled up;nonetheless, I am resigned that until the Stones are long dead, they will never be immortalized like Beatles, LZ, etc...sad, but true.
31st August 2006 09:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
, who music is so much pop, are still viewd so highly, while the Stones, who made the best rock albums of our generation, are thought of as has-beens whose contributions are alwasy minimized.

Well it's not a zero sum game. I don't think that by praising Bob at all minimuzes the Stones accomplishments. I mean some things are an established fact. The Stones ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE....THE GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD....How do you minimize that?????
31st August 2006 09:49 AM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well it's not a zero sum game. I don't think that by praising Bob at all minimuzes the Stones accomplishments. I mean some things are an established fact. The Stones ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE....THE GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD....How do you minimize that?????

album sales....
31st August 2006 09:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
album sales....

Maybe....but all factors can't be quantified....at least not yet...
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
31st August 2006 09:58 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Maybe that could be the definition of "spirit"...the factor that refuses to be quantified.
31st August 2006 09:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

I was happy to hear that contrary to the tabloids, most venues were filled up;nonetheless, I am resigned that until the Stones are long dead, they will never be immortalized like Beatles, LZ, etc...sad, but true.

You know the old saying about dying young and leaving a good looking corpse/ better to burn-out than to fade away/ etc

Personally, I think its a crock of shit. Given the choice of the Stones splitting up in 1970 or 1980 and being fawned over by tiresome nostalgists obsessed with youth and a new generation of fans too young to have remembered them ever existing OR to have had the last two or three decades of enjoyment I've had in following them for two thirds of my life, its no fuckin' contest, personally.

If others don't get it and are stuck in a timewarp, thats their fuckin' problem.

You can still be capable of achieving greatness past the age of 30. Even 60. See B** D***n.
[Edited by Gazza]
31st August 2006 10:24 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Personally, I think its a crock of shit.

I would like to nuzzle you .

" Keith Moon is EVER present Ronnie ! "

J.
31st August 2006 03:57 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
Joey wrote:

I would like to nuzzle you .

" Keith Moon is EVER present Ronnie ! "

J.

you're a pretty big Who fan there aren't you Joey??? Did you check out the Face Dances era promo video over on YouTube, I remember watching it as wee lad back in the day. The sad thing is the special focuses more on the cover art than the music, which considering Face Dances, probably was a wise choice. A weird album that one, very plastic sounding but You Better You Bet, Tricky Day and JE's overlooked Quiet One...all top notch
31st August 2006 07:13 PM
Gazza Daily Records is a nice song too. Very nice guitar solo!
31st August 2006 09:36 PM
Soldatti Here the full top 100:

1 Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – Beatles
2 Thriller – Michael Jackson
3 The Joshua Tree – U2
4 Rumours – Fleetwood Mac
5 Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
6 Revolver – Beatles
7 Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel
8 Abbey Road – Beatles
9 A Night At The Opera – Queen
10 The Beatles (The White Album) – Beatles
11 Rubber Soul – Beatles
12 Brothers In Arms – Dire Straits
13 (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? – Oasis
14 Automatic For The People – REM
15 Led Zeppelin IV (Four Symbols) – Led Zeppelin
16 Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morissette
17 Parallel Lines – Blondie
18 Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield
19 Led Zeppelin II – Led Zeppelin
20 Band On The Run – Paul McCartney & Wings
21 Hounds Of Love – Kate Bush
22 Definitely Maybe – Oasis
23 Graceland – Paul Simon
24 Ray Of Light – Madonna
25 Who’s Next – Who
26 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Elton John
27 OK Computer – Radiohead
28 Never Mind The Bollocks Here’s The Sex Pistols – Sex Pistols
29 Aladdin Sane – David Bowie
30 Out Of Time – REM
31 A Rush Of Blood To The Head – Coldplay
32 Scissor Sisters – Scissor Sisters
33 X & Y – Coldplay
34 Born In The USA – Bruce Springsteen
35 Like A Prayer – Madonna
36 A Hard Day’s Night – Beatles
37 Confessions On A Dancefloor – Madonna
38 Parachutes – Coldplay
39 Harvest – Neil Young
40 Bad – Michael Jackson
41 American Idiot – Green Day
42 A Kind Of Magic – Queen
43 Faith – George Michael
44 Fever – Kylie Minogue
45 Back In Black – AC/DC
46 Let It Be – Beatles
47 Like A Virgin – Madonna
48 The Unforgettable Fire – U2
49 Imagine – John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band With The Flux Fiddlers
50 Help! – Beatles
51 Arrival – Abba
52 Led Zeppelin 3 – Led Zeppelin
53 Urban Hymns – Verve
54 Spice – Spice Girls
55 Sing When You’re Winning – Robbie Williams
56 Let’s Dance – David Bowie
57 Hopes And Fears – Keane
58 Diamond Dogs – David Bowie
59 Escapology – Robbie Williams
60 Parklife – Blur
61 Rattle And Hum – U2
62 Hot Fuss – The Killers
63 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb – U2
64 True Blue – Madonna
65 Sticky Fingers – Rolling Stones
66 Music – Madonna
67 A Day At The Races – Queen
=68 War – U2
=68 Life Thru A Lens – Robbie Williams
70 No Angel – Dido
71 Physical Graffiti – Led Zeppelin
72 Swing When You’re Winning – Robbie Williams
=73 Super Trouper – Abba
=73 Let It Bleed – Rolling Stones
75 All Things Must Pass – George Harrison
76 Spiceworld – Spice Girls
77 Dare! – Human League
78 Different Class – Pulp
79 Please Please Me – Beatles
80 Back To Bedlam – James Blunt
81 So – Peter Gabriel
82 All That You Can’t Leave Behind – U2
83 Diva – Annie Lennox
84 Paranoid – Black Sabbath
85 The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan – Bob Dylan
86 Songs About Jane – Maroon 5
87 By The Way – Red Hot Chili Peppers
=88 The Division Bell – Pink Floyd
=88 Scary Monsters And Super Creeps – David Bowie
90 Play – Moby
91 Listen Without Prejudice Volume 1 – George Michael
92 Dangerous – Michael Jackson
93 Voulez-Vous – Abba
94 Innuendo – Queen
95 Demon Days – Gorillaz
96 Love Over Gold – Dire Straits
=97 The Album – Abba
=97 Come On Over – Shania Twain
99 I’ve Been Expecting You – Robbie Williams
100 Welcome To The Pleasuredome – Frankie Goes To Hollywood
31st August 2006 11:26 PM
Riffhard
quote:
jb wrote:

I actually agree with you on this score Josh. Like Peter Tosh sang,you don't miss the water till the well runs dry. That day will come sooner rather than later I'm afraid,and when it does come the Stones will be hailed for their massive contributions.

Riffy
1st September 2006 12:12 AM
aladdinstory
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Daily Records is a nice song too. Very nice guitar solo!

yeah that's not too bad, a bit lightweight, probably would've fit in better on a pete solo album. face dances really shows the who identity crisis pete was grappling with during that time. hell, empty glass sounds more like a who album than face dances. plus he recorded chinese eyes and then it's hard in quick succession, honestly he really didn't have enough quality material at the time to record four albums in 2.5 yrs (2 solo/2 who) and unfortunately it was the who that suffered because of this. i even think that the who tried to record material following the '82 tour, little surprise it didn't go so well. five albums in three years would've been absurd. pete did bounce back with the exemplary White City however. i think that would've made an interesting who project, sort of Quadrophenia's epilogue.
1st September 2006 04:48 AM
Gazza White City is excellent. I never heard "All the best cowboys have chinese eyes", just a song or two.
1st September 2006 07:18 AM
corgi37 Man, that list just fries me. Stones highest at 65. Hahahaha. Fucking hell, that list is a scream. Thriller at #2? Are you sure Mac Cow is wiped out in U.K?

I cannot fathom it. Beatles are popular here in the over 40's, no doubt. But there simply is NO WAY 38 Beatles albums would be in our top 10. I mean, is EVERYONE in the U.K. a total lame ass or what? Pining for some words of wisdom from Lennon, or the next super ballad from McCartney?

Maybe the Stone music is too "foreign" for English tastes?

No references to Penny Fields or Strawberry Lanes. No carnival or old time dance hall music. Truly, a bizarre land. Where the beer is warm, the teeth are bad and musical taste is located next to the asshole.

A spotty asshole, i might add. One that was spanked by the mistress only the night before, old bean.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)