ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels Revisited Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 24th, 2004 02:27 PM
justforyou Coolest thing about Steel Wheels was the white tour t-shirt with the scared scribbly black dog... can't seem to find mine anymore!
August 24th, 2004 02:28 PM
Joey
quote:
justforyou wrote:
Coolest thing about Steel Wheels was the white tour t-shirt with the scared scribbly black dog... can't seem to find mine anymore!

{{ ? }}
August 24th, 2004 02:33 PM
Bloozehound Keef's Talk is Cheap was probably the best Stones album of the 80's.
August 24th, 2004 02:36 PM
Joey
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Keef's Talk is Cheap was probably the best Stones album of the 80's.

Bloozehound .........I would like to nuzzle you .
August 24th, 2004 02:38 PM
jb Ninea abs shae monkey...ninea..ninea..ninea....ninea....All swiftboat veterans please report to duty!!! ninea...ninea..

Joey, do you have any free Jenna Jamerson links?
[Edited by jb]
August 24th, 2004 02:46 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Ninea abs shae monkey...ninea..ninea..ninea....ninea....All swiftboat veterans please report to duty!!! ninea...ninea..

Joey, do you have any free Jenna Jamerson links?
[Edited by jb]

No , but I DO have free " Gena Lee Nolin " links .

www.Mrskin.com
[Edited by Joey]
August 24th, 2004 03:01 PM
justforyou !! Yes, about time to change the avatar....

On second thoughts...maybe it is a cat!
[Edited by justforyou]
August 24th, 2004 03:04 PM
F505 I thought the wild dog was only used as a logo during the Urban Jungle Tour. Great logo indeed.
August 24th, 2004 03:06 PM
Snappy McJack Even though I don't like "Hold On To Your Hat," according to the credits, it's only the 4 current Stones (Ronnie plays bass on it) on the track.

It would be great if the future (?) album could be like this, with a possible organ or piano thrown in at times.
August 24th, 2004 03:08 PM
F505 It would be a better idea if they trow all the sidemen and women out.
August 24th, 2004 08:28 PM
corgi37 Steel Wheels was the first new music by them i bought on cd. Remember in the early days of cd it was add, aad or ddd? SW was an all digital recording. Even Neil Young went all digital on Ragged Glory. I thought the production was cystal brilliant, but i agree its quite dated now.

I think i played this cd non-stop for about 12 months. I couldnt get it out of my head. Almost hear you sigh is just a piece of magic. Probably ranks with WIld Horses as their most beautiful moment. NOTE: Didnt Keith write the lyrics for that? I seem to recall reading he was miffed Jagger changed the line to "Feel you tongu on mine". haha.

I thought Mixed Emotions was a great song & clip, but felt it was a bad choice as 1st single. I thought Rock and a hard place was the obvious 1st single. Though a re-hashed riff of soul survivor (BTW, about 7 weeks and counting that i simply CANNOT get that fucking song out of my head!! and must be hell, i like it alot. The lyrics are brilliant. But, whereas the 12 inch of harlem shuffle was so much better than the album version, the 12 inch mixes or "rock" were terrible. There was even a version were the main riff is a vacuum cleaner!

I havent played it for awhile. But, i thought sad, sad, sad was a good opener. But, kind of just a rock by numbers song. That style repeated on Sparks will fly and Flip the switch. Rockers, but nothing special.

Terrifying has dated badly, and blinded by love was dated the day it was recorded.

Continental drift doesnt fire me up like some of you guys, but i like it. Keith was proud of his "bicycle" credit!

hearts for sale is the track for me, after almost hear you sigh. Dirty, dirty guitar, and i just adore Charlies crash cymbals.

I have/had a mag from that time. It was a studio tech mag or something. And the feature article was about SW and the digital production and all that. I would love to tell this story, in light of Charlie's illness.

Now, the band were all set up, and one of the dudes was miking Charlies kit. He noticed some confetti in the snare drum. Charlie said it was from the 69 Hyde Park gig!!!

Also, some tech, egg-head, techno freak was gushing to Charlie about how some other drummer (and, it might have been the living color drummer) had a whole new drum kit, with special this, and wizz-bang that, with some digital computer analysis synth back-up or something, and Charlie nodded. Then Charlie said; "I've got a new drum-head".

So, even in high-tech all digital recording environment, one Mr. Watts kept everything in perspective.

Fucking Hyde Park!! hahahaha.
August 24th, 2004 10:02 PM
Bloozehound SW used to be real special for me, since it was one of the first cd's I ever owned. I got it around '89-90, in one of those Columbia House 12 cd's-for-a-penny deals.

I thought it was awesome back then, being that it was the new Stones album, and on new cd technology an shit.

Over time the novelty wore off. Like all Stones albums there are some excellent tracks. My favs are probably Sad Sad Sad, Blinded By Love, Continental Drift, & Slipping Away, but to me the production is a bit too slick, and most of the songs are marred by an overall generic feel. Not the Stones sound I prefer, but I really love the two bluesy numbers released as B-sides -- Cook Cook Blues & Fancyman Blues -- cool assed, fuckin' blues songs man.

Couple other discs I got in that deal and still listen to regularly are, Jimi Hendrix - Radio One & Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky is Crying, but ol' SW mostly sits on the shelf.

But who knows, a good remastering of SW from Virgin might kick some life into this tinny ass'd soundin', 15 year old cd I've got.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 25th, 2004 12:24 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jb wrote:
One of their worst albums ever...a real embarrassment and the sign of things to come...the end of their creatvity...only a wanker would like this album...

YOUR RHETORIC IS SO TIRED..GREAT RECORD FOR 89-HASNT HELD UP BUT IT HOLDS GREAT MEMORIES FOR ME.
August 25th, 2004 01:27 AM
Egbert The Keith songs on SW are what got this wanker (not for the reason JB mentioned - I just happen to beat off a lot) to finally give in and buy this CD last fall - too bad they couldn't have gone on Talk Is Cheap instead. To me SW is an improvement over the two that preceded it. The cover art is ugly but the same can be said for every release after Some Girls with the possible exception of Tattoo You.
August 25th, 2004 01:37 AM
beer Slippin Away and Almost hear ya Sigh are the highlights for me. If ya watch the very end of the 25X5 video, when the Stones are drivin away in their vans, after the show, and Slippin Away is playing, it's amazing. they drive off and that song fits it perfectly. like magic, or maybe voodoo.
August 25th, 2004 02:38 AM
F505
quote:
Egbert wrote:
The cover art is ugly but the same can be said for every release after Some Girls with the possible exception of Tattoo You.

True. Stripped is not bad either. But the most ugly cover is perhaps No Security. The band should return to covers with their own portraits.
August 25th, 2004 07:50 AM
Gazza >I thought the wild dog was only used as a logo during the Urban Jungle Tour.

it was. It was called "Skippy" and gobbled Mick up (no jokes please) during "Street Fighting Man", which was only played on the European shows.

F505>It would be a better idea if they throw all the sidemen and women out.

it worked OK on "Exile" and think what great songs like Gimme Shelter, One Hit, Miss You, Moonlight Mile, Waiting On A Friend, Slave and numerous others would be missing if it wasnt for the valuable contribution of some 'sidemen' or 'sidewomen'.

corgi37>I think i played this cd non-stop for about 12 months. I couldnt get it out of my head. Almost hear you sigh is just a piece of magic. Probably ranks with WIld Horses as their most beautiful moment. NOTE: Didnt Keith write the lyrics for that? I seem to recall reading he was miffed Jagger changed the line to "Feel you tongu on mine". haha

thats correct on all counts. Keith actually cut it for "Talk is Cheap" (Steve Jordan gets a co-writer credit on the released version). Theres a lengthy, rough take of the Winos version on bootleg.
[Edited by Gazza]
August 25th, 2004 10:13 AM
justinkurian I received some DVDs yesterday that had all the Stones videos. Absolutely great...but the first video I happened to see was 'Mixed Emotions.' I hadn't seen this video in about 10 years and I absolutely cracked up when I saw Mick exercising/singing in those neon colored workout clothes?!?!?! Where did that come from?

Also, Bloozehound, if you like Hendrix's Radio One, pick up the double-length BBC Sessions that came out a few years ago. There are some great gems on there.
August 25th, 2004 10:21 AM
Gazza >I hadn't seen this video in about 10 years and I absolutely cracked up when I saw Mick exercising/singing in those neon colored workout clothes?!?!?! Where did that come from?

well,it WAS filmed in a girls' school, so that may account for it!

(the Stones rehearsed for the tour in a girls' high school in Washington, Connecticut, and much of the footage shot for the video comes from there)
August 25th, 2004 10:55 AM
jb Anyone who seriously thinks this is a good Stones album is a major wanker!!!! This was an embarrassment and a sign of their creative demise...the video is basically a bunch of old farts trying to act like young men....FDrom Mick's gay outfit, to Keith's polka-dot shirt, as gay as it gets..It certainly was not the 'fearsome" Stones of the past..did any of you brag to your friends about how cooll the Stones still were ? I doubt it....thankfully, the tour made up for this trash.....
August 25th, 2004 11:07 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Anyone who seriously thinks this is a good Stones album is a major wanker!!!! This was an embarrassment and a sign of their creative demise...the video is basically a bunch of old farts trying to act like young men....

You make young Joey very sad .
August 25th, 2004 11:16 AM
jb Sean Hannity's DVD is now available!!!! "They hate us for our Freedom"....see Ricky Skaggs....developing...
August 25th, 2004 11:48 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Sean Hannity's DVD is now available!!!! "They hate us for our Freedom"....see Ricky Skaggs....developing...

I DESPISE Sean Hannity !

...who be " Ricky Skaggs " ?!?!?! Wasn't he a freind of Robert Kennedy ?

Turdskee Joe !
August 25th, 2004 07:33 PM
Soldatti The problem with "Steel Wheels" is that 80's sound that stinks most of the tracks. All that fuc..ng keyboards on Terrifying, Heart For Sale, Rock And A Hard Place... ruins the songs.
August 25th, 2004 09:53 PM
corgi37 Ah, SW is ok. I wouldnt get too uptight about it. If you dont like it, fine. Just dont denigrate others who do.

And, stop putting down the wankers! I am proud of my pulling prowess. My biggest spurt would be about 4 1/2 feet.

But, why is it most sheilas are hopless at it. They only know 2 speeds. "stop" or "rip the thing off at the root".

My wife is hopless. It's like she is trying to start one of those olden day cars with the crank.

Now, though, i jerk, while she tortures my balls.

The best thing though is to wank onto her when she's asleep.

Then, i...

uh, wife is lurking.
August 25th, 2004 09:56 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx for sharing corgi ('tho others may say "too much information")...you are indeed "a great man"
August 25th, 2004 10:13 PM
full moon Ya know what they say about Homophobes. Something you want to tell us JB?? I haven't used the term " gay" since Iwas about 12.... SW is a fine album... Get a fucking idea MF....
August 26th, 2004 05:08 AM
gotdablouse As a side note, Steel Wheels is one of the rare Stones' album for which tracks from the sessions haven't been leaked and there are apparetenly TONS (see Karnbach's book). At the time Vigotone started releasing the Voodoo box sets (late '95) there was a rumour there would be a 2 CD SW box set as well, never came out.

The stuff is "available" though as one ChrisM once described the "Gangster's Maul" from these sessions on his website, when I asked him for more details he removed the reference...and has since refused to discuss it ;-)
August 26th, 2004 06:40 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
Anyone who seriously thinks this is a good Stones album is a major wanker!!!!

Anyone who thinks israel respects human rights is a wanker too!!
August 26th, 2004 06:42 AM
Jumacfly ...and Break the spell , heart for sale, terrifying, blinded by love are lovely tunes
Page: 1 2 3