ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1964 Dezo Hoffmann
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels Revisited Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 24th, 2004 04:49 AM
Honky Tonk Man What’s everyone make of this album?

It was my first introduction to the “Modern Day” Stones and I was immediately hooked from the moment the “Sad, Sad Sad” riff kicked in.

At the time, the only Stones records I listened too where Big Hits and Through The Past Darkly. I knew very little about the Taylor era and certainly very little about Woody.

I don’t know why I love this record so much. Maybe its because it really is a truly great record. It has two great Keith numbers. Can’t Be Seen has always been a favourite and Slipping Away is beautiful. I heard him croon this at every show I saw on the last tour and I didn’t bitch about it once. Almost Here You Sigh is another knockout ballad and should defiantly be considered for the next tour.

So what lets this record down? It re-ignited them in the album charts and gave them their last Top Ten US hit. The Stones were back with a great album. They looked wrinkly but in great shape and Keith’s guitar playing on the album and tour was vicious.

So I ask you again, what let this album down? The answer?

THE FRONT COVER!! ERUGGGHH!

Alex
August 24th, 2004 07:18 AM
marko Well,mate,at the time,Album came out,and the 1st single,Mixed emotions,i tought its their best album ever.
same with ´the tour.But it was 1st album in 3years,1st tour
in 7.And music world was completely different.And so was
everything else.SW/Urban tours,made all the previous tours
look too old,too historical.
But now looking back,i think its otherwise,somehow.
Album definetily has its moments.Sad sad sad is underrated
rocker,it works very well actually.Can´t be seen is the LAST
keith rocker on album.Almost Hear you sigh,is my all time
favorite ballad.They really should play it again.Then theres
fantastic,break the spell and continental drift.
But theres too many songs what i dislike now.rock and a hard
place,terrifying,hold on to your hat.well,i´ll give it a listen today.......
But to me,voodoo tour/album,are the best stones in vegas
era.
August 24th, 2004 07:34 AM
Factory Girl Alex!!! I got Libertines tix! You want to go with me??? Have you ever seen them?
August 24th, 2004 07:36 AM
Moonisup I have the same with Voodoo lounge, well, it was the first I've bought. maybe that's why I like it soo much, I ain't the best album, but I've got nice memories. and I didn't bought the cd first but the vinyl version
August 24th, 2004 07:37 AM
Honky Tonk Man Agreed Marko.

Voodoo Lounge has some great moments on it. It was about a year after buying it that I started to listen to it properly. Blinded By Rainbows has everything. Great singing, fantastic Ronnie solo and that song and the album has such a warm feel. Mick shouldn't moan about it sounding like Exile, it is one of the nicest sounding Stones albums, period.

The tour was red hot. Musically it was almost as good as 89/90, but they sounded much looser and less programmed.
August 24th, 2004 07:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Alex!!! I got Libertines tix! You want to go with me??? Have you ever seen them?

Way to go!

I didn't know they were heading out to the US anytime soon! You will have a blast. No Pete Doherty, though. Its a bummer, I saw them without him too, it's still great though!

Me go with you? Hmmmm.... I’m in England! I know your pulling my leg. I will be there in spirit.

I must say its just great to posting again on a regular basis. I no longer live with my folks and work has died down a little, so me of me here from now on!

Is that okay with everyone?

Alex
August 24th, 2004 07:45 AM
Gazza Never was a Stones album greeted with such relief by fans. By 1986-87 or so, we never thought we'd get another album and this one came out - and it saw the light of day 3 and a half years after Dirty Work. At the time, that was considered almost forever and was the longest gap ever between Stones studio albums. Of course, then we had to wait five years until Voodoo Lounge (with a tour in between) and dont get me started on the Seven Year Itch since Bridges..

I think the two studio albums they've put out since have been better as SW hasnt aged very well. The production sounds pretty 80's-ish and a bit sterile.

Overall however its a decent collection of songs and it does include three songs that for me would hold up against anything they put out in their so-called "golden era" - Slipping Away, Almost Hear You Sigh and (especially), Continental Drift. When I saw a newspaper report in June '89 showing pictures of the Stones recording in Morocco I knew they were really going out of their way to come up with something special. It didn't disappoint.

Sad Sad Sad - great intro to the album (that LOUD guitar opening by Mick) Good tune. Daft lyrics ("the elephant's in the bathroom" ?? WTF)
Mixed emotions - Decent 'make up' song with a good hook.
Terrifying - Good at the time. Hasnt dated well.
Hold On To Your Hat - a bit of a thrash
Hearts for Sale - I really like this one. A bit of an unfairly overlooked track with some nasty guitars.
Blinded by Love - Cheesy but charming.
Rock and a hard place - see "Terrifying". Good lyric.
Can't Be Seen - pretty good. Nice solo.
Almost Hear You Sigh - majestic. One of the best love songs the Stones have ever recorded.
Continental Drift - the best Stones song of the last 30 years. Transcendent, hypnotic, earth shattering. Yeah, I like it.
Break The Spell - a potentially very good song that sounds a bit over produced.
Slipping Away - an excellent closer. The way Keith croons "one of them will be 'round soon" in the last verse is gorgeous. One of the best vocals of his career.

The bluesy b-sides were good too - Cook Cook Blues (a leftover from DW, I think), Wish I'd Never Met You and especially Fancy Man Blues.

[Edited by Gazza]
August 24th, 2004 08:46 AM
Factory Girl Alex,

I think its great that you're posting more. I'm really looking forward to the Libertines!! Do you have the new cd yet??
August 24th, 2004 08:55 AM
Some Guy I like this album. Mixed Emotions was great. I was going through a break up at the time and they busted that shit out! 89 Wow!!
August 24th, 2004 09:03 AM
exile
I liked Steel Wheels
I loved Voodoo Lounge

I hated Bridges.......

Continental Drift stand out song for me on that album now
though at the time i was into mixed emotions

August 24th, 2004 09:17 AM
Factory Girl I liked Steel Wheels a lot when it came out-Mixed Emotions was great and "Almost Hear you Sigh" is a great sexy ballad.
August 24th, 2004 09:26 AM
Honky Tonk Man It's released next Monday in the UK (August 30th) and I presume a day or two either side of that in the US.

The new single is called Can't Stand Me Now and it's the only song I have heard. Its pretty good, but not as rough sounding as the material on their first album. It has harmonica in it too.

Seriously though, your going to love the show. Its kind od like CRASH, BANG,and then it's all over, but it's great. They are full of energy on stage and they don't arse about.

Alex
August 24th, 2004 09:35 AM
Zeeta LOL Alex the cover is utter shite I agree. I mean what the fuck is it supposed to be?!

The quality of the songs on Steel Wheels is high but the production is, at this present time and may always will be, highly unfashionable.

I was listening to it once and a few friends of mine called by and thought I had gone mad listening to this insanely over produced late eighties crap. I tried to explain that it was Stones and they softened a little, but still.
August 24th, 2004 09:57 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well exactly. What the fuck is it supposed to be?

I'm thinking that maybe it's supposed to represent something rather than actually being something.

Urban Jungle tour aside, the actual North American Steel Wheels tour stage design was supposed to be industrial. Is that right? Wasn't the stage design all nuts and bolts and so on? I presume thats what the album sleeve is supposed to be too.

August 24th, 2004 10:23 AM
T&A One of only two albums (Dirty Work the other) that I can't honestly say "I like." I think those that really love this album must be of the HTM ilk - it has a special place in the heart because it was "the first." Some Girls is that album for me.

Aside from Sigh, Spell, Slipping....not much good I can say for this album. It strikes me as an album on which the Stones sound "desperate" and "forced" - especially on Hold onto Your Hat, RAAHP, SSS and ME.....

....don't like it, don't like it, no I don't....
August 24th, 2004 10:44 AM
F505 3 or 4 goods songs. Continental Drift is brilliant. A classic song. Also a lot of mediocrity.
August 24th, 2004 11:15 AM
luridchief >>It re-ignited them in the album charts and gave them their last Top Ten US hit.<<

Didn't LOVE IS STRONG and ANYBODY SEEN MY BABY? also hit the Top 10?

STEEL WHEELS was the first Stones album that left me kind of cold . . . and my opinion hasn't changed over the years.
August 24th, 2004 12:03 PM
Gazza >Urban Jungle tour aside, the actual North American Steel Wheels tour stage design was supposed to be industrial. Is that right? Wasn't the stage design all nuts and bolts and so on? I presume thats what the album sleeve is supposed to be too.

yes it was a sort of decaying factory (they designed the stage so bits of it actually looked like it was falling apart) and was heavily influenced in its design by "Blade Runner". I guess the album cover was a collection of "Steel Wheels". It did look somewhat industrial.

They brought the Steel Wheels stage back for the shows in Turin, East Berlin and the final two rescheduled shows at Wembley Stadium (Gelsenkirchen too, I think) as they were being used for filming the "At The Max" movie
August 24th, 2004 12:53 PM
jb One of their worst albums ever...a real embarrassment and the sign of things to come...the end of their creatvity...only a wanker would like this album...
August 24th, 2004 01:01 PM
tumbling dice good memories!when i listened mixed emotions for the first time i thought it amazing,it was a very good time in my life and the stones broke the silence of the 3 years darkness.The album seems to be too slick and over-produced but it doesnt matter.it was a gas for the great comeback tour and it works well,at the time everybody like it.Atlantic city was live here in Brasil and it was brilliant the stones in modern era.In 1990 i saw them for the first time in Rome and it was umbealiveble,the living legends in front of me i never forget ,it changes my life forever.
August 24th, 2004 01:12 PM
glencar I agree that some songs ahven't aged well. I never liked Hold On To Your Hat & still don't. I do like Hearts For Sale, Terrifying, Continental Drift & I absolutely love Break The Spell. And yeah, the cover is from Hell.
August 24th, 2004 01:13 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I agree that some songs ahven't aged well. I never liked Hold On To Your Hat & still don't. I do like Hearts For Sale, Terrifying, Continental Drift & I absolutely love Break The Spell. And yeah, the cover is from Hell.

The cover is gay as can be!!!
[Edited by jb]
August 24th, 2004 01:14 PM
glencar I don't think I've ever avoided making typos when writing "Have" except for just now.
August 24th, 2004 01:15 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
The cover is gay as can be!!!
[Edited by jb]

LOL
[Edited by glencar]
August 24th, 2004 01:17 PM
glencar Joshy, HBO is running a fair & balanced look at Israel's mistreatment of the Palestinians.
August 24th, 2004 01:20 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, HBO is running a fair & balanced look at Israel's mistreatment of the Palestinians.

Jenna Jameson is fucking hot!!!
August 24th, 2004 01:22 PM
glencar She's torture, baby@!
August 24th, 2004 01:28 PM
Factory Girl Rolling Stone has an in-depth interview with Jenna J. I was reading it at lunch. She likes girls...a lot.
August 24th, 2004 02:16 PM
Bloozehound I'd rather listen to Jenna Jameson than Steel Wheels
August 24th, 2004 02:26 PM
Joey

" Steel Wheels " ROCKS !!!!!!!!!! ..... HARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Almost Hear You Sigh " was the Roling Stones last great single !

W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?! .............Oh , sure :

http://www.rachelfuller.com/

Sassy !
Page: 1 2 3